New Dress Code Designations?

bluemarble

So if your line of thinking is correct, why would anyone choose Cunard and pay more for the privilege, if it just offers the same as all the other lines? Apart from Transatlantics, I don't get it. It seems to me that a really smart business offers something that other businesses don't. Otherwise, where's their USP?

I don't fall into the age category you suggest, but my wife and I do greatly enjoy the formality of Cunard - it's why we made the line 'our own' and have done seven cruises with them in the last five years. However, when I was younger I wouldn't have dreamt of wearing a tux. People can and do change as they get older - even millenials might! It will be a pity if there is no longer any choice by then.

It would be nice if Cunard chose to lead rather than follow..

Because for us it doesn't just offer the same as other lines, there are many differences to the other lines we have tried and no other line has anything like the experience of being on QM2.

We mainly cruise rather than cross.

It would be interesting to see if those disliking the new rules were older. 70 and over? No offense to anyone in saying that either. It's a generation thing. Like it or not if Cunard doesn't change then in 10 years time you will find they go out of business. The next generation "mostly" don't feel the same about formal clothes being worn all the time. Or a tie etc, and just wait till you get the millennials all grown up and on mass! You may hate it and want to keep it but it is how it is.
Not us! We are in our mid 50's and have been cruising with Cunard for around 10 years. Our son (aged 30) and his fiance (aged 25) had just booked their first cruise before the change was announced. On our next cruise in June, we are meeting up with friends we met on-board some years back who are also in their 50's and are very keen on the formal dress code.

I am hoping Cunard could get another 30 years out of us and possibly 60 years from our son. Hardly short term.

There are plenty of younger people who love dressing up formally. Especially as it is so rare to get the chance now. It makes the evening feel so special.

I hope for their sake and mine that Cunard give such a good quality service that this will set them apart. People on land in hotels are happy to pay more for a higher service and better surroundings.

I think I may be the middle demographic or even younger than that? We are sailing for my 50th birthday. I am really looking forward to dressing up, tux and long dresses are already purchased. For me personally, it sounds like Cunard has the dress code correct with the gala/smart casual. So already there is a generation that is comfortable with this. My 21 year old daughter will be with us and has been told her ripped jeans will not be making an appearance even in the daytime. She is looking forward to the glitz and glam but also thinks it's a "bit over the top" and her idea of the smart casual is certainly not mine, but she will be dressing by the rules. If those rules relaxed further she would be more than happy.

As Wordzz says though people change and grow, so I don't think there will be a time to soon where formal won't mean a tux and evening dress but it certainly won't be like it was or even is now.

Today's email from Cunard links to the new dress designations which should explain the description changes. Nothing has really changed. http://www.cunard.co.uk/life-on-board/what-to-pack/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=ECN948&utm_campaign=GDPR&utm_term=CU-6367833&utm_content=Find%20more%20information%20%C2%BB

Is it compulsory for gents to wear red shoes?/ I don't really have any.

Is it compulsory for gents to wear red shoes?/ I don't really have any.

Didn't you hear. Yes you are, but Cunard has also cautioned against clicking the heels together - if you do it three times, they will not be responsible for flying you back from Kansas.

Actually, I'll be wearing red shoes as well. Wool oxford style on afternoons and occasional informal evenings. (I happen to have eight pairs, also including red leather dress shoes, Converse sneakers, construction boots, and croc-like beach shoes)

- Mark

Didn't you hear. Yes you are, but Cunard has also cautioned against clicking the heels together - if you do it three times, they will not be responsible for flying you back from Kansas.

Actually, I'll be wearing red shoes as well. Wool oxford style on afternoons and occasional informal evenings. (I happen to have eight pairs, also including red leather dress shoes, Converse sneakers, construction boots, and croc-like beach shoes)

- Mark

Red-shoed friends, UNITE! ;)

- Mark

You are so well equipped! I have just remembered that I do have some RED lighweight NIKE running shoes - I can at least wear them to the gym.

You are so well equipped! I have just remembered that I do have some RED lighweight NIKE running shoes - I can at least wear them to the gym.

You can buy red and yellow Ronald McDonald shoes in Lowes or Aldi, Barry, better get down there old son, so as you can fit in with the new vogue Cunarders, lol.:hearteyes:

Great dress policy changes by Cunard - catering for the younger generation.

As long as they were the proper shade of red and had the correct number of black stripes I’d think Cunard would be pleased.

HA! :D

...of course, if all the shades of red Cunard has used for itself through the past few years were allowable, the number of them would rival a counter of lipsticks.

- Mark

I agree. However, I always wear a tie, even on the last "informal" nights. I would actually prefer that all nights, except on embarkation, be (pre Cunard redefinition) "formal".

Indeed. Until 2009, the only Cunard ship we travelled on was the QE2, on which jacket and tie was required of gents every night in the main restaurants. On Atlantic crossings, all nights except the first and last were formal, even when the crossings were extended to six nights from five.

When the QE2 was divided into First Class and Tourist (later called Transatlantic) Class, real formal wear was not the custom in the latter. I well remember a Cunard brochure with an amusing notation: it is not traditional for passengers to dress formally in Tourist/Transatlantic Class, but if you wish to no-one will mind.

So when the QE2 became officially one-class with Grills, as the ships are now, it actually became more formal because people in the former Tourist restaurants wore traditional formal wear, if they wished.

We have a friend who will not lower his standards, so in the tradition of the Atlantic crossing he wears his D.J. every night in Princess Grill except the first and last. He will be doing so again in July. He admits he is the only man in a DJ on the informal nights but he doesn't care. If I was travelling with him I would probably do the same, but wouldn't want to be the only one.

It would be interesting to see if those disliking the new rules were older. 70 and over? No offense to anyone in saying that either. It's a generation thing. Like it or not if Cunard doesn't change then in 10 years time you will find they go out of business. The next generation "mostly" don't feel the same about formal clothes being worn all the time. Or a tie etc, and just wait till you get the millennials all grown up and on mass! You may hate it and want to keep it but it is how it is.

Your statement is not based on facts, sorry. When I first crossed the Atlantic on QM2 I was 34 and turned up on informal nights in a proper, tailor made suit and - of course - a tie. I remember a conversation with a guy in his sixties who told me quite proudly that he had to buy a jacket on the boat in order to get dinner.

There is absolutely no reason to change the dress code on any of the Cunard ships. There are dozens of cruise companies who do party cruising with relaxed dress codes, bad music and bad drinks. Cunard Line on the other hand doesn't do these things and this is part of their product. If they loose the dress code, they loose their appeal and they will loose more guests than they will gain.

Your statement is not based on facts, sorry. When I first crossed the Atlantic on QM2 I was 34 and turned up on informal nights in a proper, tailor made suit and - of course - a tie. I remember a conversation with a guy in his sixties who told me quite proudly that he had to buy a jacket on the boat in order to get dinner.

There is absolutely no reason to change the dress code on any of the Cunard ships. There are dozens of cruise companies who do party cruising with relaxed dress codes, bad music and bad drinks. Cunard Line on the other hand doesn't do these things and this is part of their product. If they loose the dress code, they loose their appeal and they will loose more guests than they will gain.

Of course my statement was not based on facts I was asking a question hence the ? mark and then surmising for a possible reason. What is a fact is no one has an answer as to what any passenger will be wearing in 20 years time, only hopes and dreams.

Note to add I have red shoes :D

Not sure what to make of this, but I just noticed the page in the UK FAQ for the question "Is there a dress code on board?" is missing. This is the page that has caused some confusion after Cunard updated it for the new dress code wording but retained some of the old wording such as the reference to blue denim not being allowed within the ship after 6pm. Perhaps they have just taken that page down temporarily to improve it.

For what it's worth, the page in the UK FAQ for the question "Does the dress code apply to all areas of the ship?" still exists and contains a link to the question "Is there a dress code on board?" which now generates the error "Can't find the page you're looking for."

We just got our cruise booklet for July 6 crossing and it states "formal" (gala) still dress to impress - tux, dinner jacket or dark suit/tie with women from formal gowns, one or two piece, or smart suit (?). There are three formal nights every other night on 7 day trip. Other nights "smart casual" - jackets with or without ties and dress pants - women dresses, skirts and blouses or pants with nice top. This has replaced the old cocktail attire on the non-gala nights.

It looks as if the information has been consolidated into the "What will the dress code be whilst I am on board ?" section.07ead3d0972d5f2106947d61576f60d7.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Host Hattie. I believe the current wording for the answer to the question "What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?" has been that way since March 31st. But I take your point that Cunard may be trying to consolidate the information about the dress code by removing duplication from the UK FAQ.

As we have discussed here before, Cunard currently explains the dress code on the "What to pack" page of their main web site, within the Voyage Personaliser, and within the UK FAQ. I don't think we really need multiple pages in the UK FAQ describing the details of the dress code in slightly diffferent ways. If that's the plan to remove redundancies from the UK FAQ, I'm all for that.

Well, I have at last had a reply to my emails. I don't know if it has already come up, but part of the reply I have received is as follows:

As part of the Blue Riband initiatives supporting our brand strengths, where guests Feel Free, Feel Special and Feel Inspired, we have reviewed how our dress attire guidelines*and our evenings onboard are described, all while upholding our standard of luxury and sense of occasion. We’ve done extensive research both internally and externally to ensure we meet the needs of our current and future guests including:

Spoken to over 13,000 guests who’ve told us they love the glamour of a Cunard Voyage; the chance to dress up is something that is becoming increasingly rare yet increasingly desirable

Reviewed the dress code language used by luxury hospitality venues across the world

Tested various options as to how best to clearly and accurately describe our evening guidelines – with both guests and our onboard teams.

It then goes on to repeat the new codes etc.

I don't believe I have heard of the "feel free, feel special, feel inspired" initiative before.

Also, has anyone been "tested" on various options? I know I haven't and I was on-board three times last year.

Still not happy, but I'm looking forwards to being on-board QV in just over 4 weeks. We will see how it goes.......

My wife and I have done multiple ocean cruises on multiple line as well as river cruises. This will be our first Cunard cruise as they offered a great price for a world cruise in 2019 and we always wanted to cruise with Cunard. We are doing two legs of the cruise for a total of 72 days. I will have my tux as well as suit jackets, shirts and ties, but for me 72 straight days of dress up for dinner feels a little too much. And no, we don’t want to eat on the Lido deck but a little more relaxed once in a while would be nice.....like allowing a polo shirt under a suit jacket without feeling like others think that as being under dressed!

Well, I have at last had a reply to my emails. I don't know if it has already come up, but part of the reply I have received is as follows:

As part of the Blue Riband initiatives supporting our brand strengths, where guests Feel Free, Feel Special and Feel Inspired, we have reviewed how our dress attire guidelines*and our evenings onboard are described, all while upholding our standard of luxury and sense of occasion. We’ve done extensive research both internally and externally to ensure we meet the needs of our current and future guests including:

Spoken to over 13,000 guests who’ve told us they love the glamour of a Cunard Voyage; the chance to dress up is something that is becoming increasingly rare yet increasingly desirable

Reviewed the dress code language used by luxury hospitality venues across the world

Tested various options as to how best to clearly and accurately describe our evening guidelines – with both guests and our onboard teams.

It then goes on to repeat the new codes etc.

I don't believe I have heard of the "feel free, feel special, feel inspired" initiative before.

Also, has anyone been "tested" on various options? I know I haven't and I was on-board three times last year.

Still not happy, but I'm looking forwards to being on-board QV in just over 4 weeks. We will see how it goes.......

Stanard reply, had it twice. But progress is being made. See my post to Mr Struthers (above) for information when he joins our discussions.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
predictive

Stanard reply, had it twice. But progress is being made. See my post to Mr Struthers (above) for information when he joins our discussions.

Can't say I've seen specific mention before of "the Blue Riband initiatives supporting our brand strengths, where guests Feel Free, Feel Special and Feel Inspired" Camgirl mentioned in the reply she received from Cunard. But I just now did read with considerable interest your "Thank you" post in the Q&A with Angus Struthers sub-forum. Thank you for that update.