New Dress Code Designations?

bluemarble

...We are aware Cunard monitors all social media platforms, intervening regularly to answer questions, or reach out to posters. However, for some reason, Cunard has not interviened on this thread.

Is that your awareness? My experience is quite the opposite. Yes, I suspect this topic has attracted some notice (primarily because of direct communication from passengers referencing it and because it's a touchy subject) - but in my experience, Cunard does NOT regularly monitor this board, unlike many other lines (specifically Crystal and Carnival) and in over a decade, I have NEVER seen them directly post.

And to cook68 and others - no need to worry. You'll be FINE. If all the "tut tutting" that you see on this thread were to occur onboard, the famous quiet grace that is a Cunard voyage would be anything but.

Unfortunately, my excitement of my very first TA is being quickly squash and replaced with the fear of being judged on how we will all look. I fear some of you will be jumping in front of me holding up a scorecard and marking us out of 10. Please try and remember not everyone on board is a seasoned traveler with Cunard and us "new" folks are just trying to get it right and that's the new dress code not the old one. Room service for 7 days is starting to look a safer plan.

Same here for us, we are terrified of not being "dressed" properly. But then I thought better of it. We paid to be on the ship just like you did, and I will not allow you to ruin my vacation by your pettiness of if we are dressed to suit you. Live and let live, the way someone else is dressed is not my concern. Enjoy your vacation and don't allow someone else to ruin it for you!

Same here for us, we are terrified of not being "dressed" properly. But then I thought better of it. We paid to be on the ship just like you did, and I will not allow you to ruin my vacation by your pettiness of if we are dressed to suit you. Live and let live, the way someone else is dressed is not my concern. Enjoy your vacation and don't allow someone else to ruin it for you!

Enjoy and don't let the Cunard diehards get to you.:o

Just how hard is it to wear a suit to dinner when that is what is expected of you?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just how hard is it to wear a suit to dinner when that is what is expected of you?

Evidently quite difficult for many. And that is why Cunard has dumped the pretense of formality in favor of those who find it difficult to wear a suit.

jeans throughout and now evenings in most of the ship jeans and heavens knows what else as Americans in particular love to push the envelope of down market dress and general behavior.

Quite honestly I found found the dress standards in Europe and the Uk as down market as you describe that of Americans. Over Ten year ago I went to Rules in London, a fine upmarket very proper British restaurant and many diners looked like they had stepped inside from a long day of house errands. T shirts and jeans abounded. (We were dressed up.) Last year we went to Bentleys. same thing.

The same standard corporate verbiage issued to everyone.

We read the words and their meaning, then we think as to the direction of travel.

Examples

"Fee free to dress as you please throughout the ship." In other words, wear what you like anywhere you wish.

Smart attire: "We request you wear" - Not a requirement

Smart attire in bars: "We ask" Not a requirement

Gala: "Please" - Not a requirement

Cunard repeatedly sing the same corporate mantra "Just a change of wording".

However, when Cunard is questioned on finite detail of the new wording, and potential enforcement, more waffle and ambiguous statements appear. Cunard appear to be unable to answer a pertinent question with a yes or a no.

We are aware Cunard monitors all social media platforms, intervening regularly to answer questions, or reach out to posters. However, for some reason, Cunard has not interviened on this thread.

They respond on Facebook and Twitter but I have not seen them post on Cruise Critic in the time that I have been using the boards.

The trouble you have with a change of wording is people like my self who have never sailed on anything let alone the QM2 only know what the "new" dress code is. It will be adhered to and appropriate clothing is already purchased but I have no idea what it was before or where what was worn/not allowed. Unfortunately, my excitement of my very first TA is being quickly squash and replaced with the fear of being judged on how we will all look. I fear some of you will be jumping in front of me holding up a scorecard and marking us out of 10. Please try and remember not everyone on board is a seasoned traveler with Cunard and us "new" folks are just trying to get it right and that's the new dress code not the old one. Room service for 7 days is starting to look a safer plan.
Please don't let a very small number of posters overthinking this worry you.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

I would be interested to hear from people on this board who sail Cunard and do not want to follow the dress code.What are the reasons for paying a higher price with Cunard ? It cannot be such things as service in the restaurant or the theatre shows or the Commodore Club or most of the bars as non of these,IN THEORY,are currently open to people ignoring the dress code, so what is it that justifies a premium price to current or potential Cunarders

For people who do not fly it is the only way (for most of the year anyway) to travel to and from the USA.

But a suit for dinner is no longer expected. Only on a "Gala" evening. Otherwise, it is a jacket and smart trousers. All be it to be judged by you!

But a suit for dinner is no longer expected. Only on a "Gala" evening. Otherwise, it is a jacket and smart trousers. All be it to be judged by you!
That has been the case for a while, informal evenings were jacket required, tie optional, there was no mention of a suit.

Gala evenings, there is now a "Please" request. No longer a requirement.

Jacket and start trousers are now "ask", "suggest" and "request" criterias. No longer a requirement.

The new Cunard mantra is "just a change of wording" but the words used indicate other changes.

This change of wording also was the precursor to dress code changes on RCL, Celebrity and P&O etc., where dumbing down is still reaching new, and some say unacceptable, levels.

That has been the case for a while, informal evenings were jacket required, tie optional, there was no mention of a suit.

The new "change of wording", the word "required" has been removed, being replaced with "request", "ask" or "suggest".

Some think the introduction new words to a sentence indicate a change in the meaning of that sentence.

My last input before Bowing out

I believe that the new dress code as described in "what to pack" under the Cunard Experience on cunard.com is A GREAT STEP FORWARD. Relaxed and casual in the day and elegant at night. (Ignore the anomalies in the UK only FAQs)

I think the expansion of the areas where people who want to be less formal can go is only fair on those guests. They have got it about right.

I for one will abide by the REQUESTED dress code.

I will wear smart shorts at lunch and breakfast if the weather permits in my allocated restaurant

I will wear beach attire walking from my room to the pool, or from the terrace to the pool.

I will wear DJ (tuxedo) for gala nights, and a jacket for smart attire .

This all fits in with the ambience I'm looking for.

I think the dress code could be improved slightly.

Firstly, I believe the theatre should be part of the casual zone. One should be looking at show not audience. It is also not fair that people who have dressed casually and eaten in the appropriate restaurant should be excluded from entertainment they have paid for .

Secondly I'd personally I'd like gala nights to be DJ only for men a lounge suit just doesn't say gala.

Finally. Cunard should put a line in the terms and conditions, requiring adherence to the dress code. Until then it must remain a request as in the new wording. Only once they've done this can they change request and ask to require, and then politely enforce it.

Good for you!

Keep in mind that Cunard carries tens of thousands of passengers every year. On this site, you are seeing the same few posters obsessively posting about the dress code. You will always encounter people who are terribly concerned with what you are wearing, doing, saying, thinking, etc. But we learn to ignore those people. Just focus on the people who value substance over style and content over clothing. You'll have a great time!

The people who sign on for the experience but do not contribute either don't get it or don't care and they come away feeling short changed but never really understand why.

There is little evidence that a problem exists in regard to non appliance of the dress code. No one has reported anything other than occasional breaches of the code. Anyone who has never sailed with Cunard would have a vision of masses of uncouth passengers roaming the dining rooms, theatre, and bars.

To miss quote the advert and David Cameron “calm down dears, the problem doesn’t exist”

David

There is little evidence that a problem exists in regard to non appliance of the dress code. No one has reported anything other than occasional breaches of the code. Anyone who has never sailed with Cunard would have a vision of masses of uncouth passengers roaming the dining rooms, theatre, and bars.

To miss quote the advert and David Cameron “calm down dears, the problem doesn’t exist”

David

Unfortunately there have been some reported problems particularly with some of the world cruise segments.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2607909

David

Fully agree about the previous current and past dress codes.

But Cunard have changed the wording of alleged future codes. Thereby changing the meaning of the codes.

We are making our concerns visible, plus asking Cunard to spell out the new dress code, to answer pertinent questions with a simple yes or no, and to confirm the new dress code "no go" areas will be enforced.

Cunard's written confirmations will ensure there is no confusion or ambiguity to all on the ship, and conclude this thread.

We are still awaiting Cunard's official statements with interest.

Fully agree about the previous current and past dress codes.

But Cunard have changed the wording of alleged future codes. Thereby changing the meaning of the codes.

We are making our concerns visible, plus asking Cunard to spell out the new dress code, to answer pertinent questions with a simple yes or no, and to confirm the new dress code "no go" areas will be enforced.

Cunard's written confirmations will ensure there is no confusion or ambiguity to all on the ship, and conclude this thread.

We are still awaiting Cunard's official statements with interest.

How have you contacted Cunard ?

I found them responsive via Twitter Direct Messages.

How have you contacted Cunard ?

I found them responsive via Twitter Direct Messages.

Yes. Multiple.

Replies: 1

Mode: Telephone waffle - actually posted on CC

Remaining: waiting inside their 28 day duration rule

The twenty-ninth day will be Dear Mr Weinstein day

Not attempting to cause any more controversy on this thread than we already have, but has anyone else noticed the new dress code wording no longer mentions "military uniform" anywhere? I do note a previous post from Blu-iTT suggesting a restore of the old dress code wording, but I believe the intention there was mostly to restore the "(Jacket Required)" terminology to the "Smart Attire" description.

As a reminder, here is an excerpt from the previous dress code wording from the UK FAQ.

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and military uniform.

The new dress code wording from the UK FAQ includes a section about "National/Religious Dress" but there is no mention of military uniforms that I can see. Now I can't imagine this is intended as another stealth change to the dress code to discourage the wearing of military uniforms. Probably just an oversight. But this did make me curious enough to mention it here and perhaps solicit others opinions about it.

At this point in time it seems that the horse has been beaten to a sufficiency. The new code does not go into effect until the middle of June so any comments about present behavior are moot. The real comments will start after the new "suggested" codes go into effect. If one wishes to see how fast that can lead one down the garden path one only has to look at NCL. From prime and proper to anything goes took approximately two years. So as my final words on this matter. You can whistle past the grave yard to make yourself feel good but in the end it is still a grave yard Cunard of the past - RIP.

Not attempting to cause any more controversy on this thread than we already have, but has anyone else noticed the new dress code wording no longer mentions "military uniform" anywhere? I do note a previous post from Blu-iTT suggesting a restore of the old dress code wording, but I believe the intention there was mostly to restore the "(Jacket Required)" terminology to the "Smart Attire" description.

As a reminder, here is an excerpt from the previous dress code wording from the UK FAQ.

Formal:

Evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies. A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men or you may wear formal national dress and military uniform.

The new dress code wording from the UK FAQ includes a section about "National/Religious Dress" but there is no mention of military uniforms that I can see. Now I can't imagine this is intended as another stealth change to the dress code to discourage the wearing of military uniforms. Probably just an oversight. But this did make me curious enough to mention it here and perhaps solicit others opinions about it.

I think it’s fairly implied that someone showing up in military evening dress uniform in the US or the equivalent British mess dress, which would be appropriate at a black or white tie event on land, would be more than welcomed into the dining room.

Formal:

A fair and legitimate post.

It is wrong on so many levels to omit a recognition, deliberately or otherwise, of those who have served, plus those who are currently serving our respected countries.

Just hope this lack of respect does not now extend to the reduction, or removal, of any Cunard military benefits.

That would be appalling.

Cunard's current direction of travel appears to need a new compass.