New Dress Code Designations?

bluemarble

I queried this with Cunard via FB, FB direct messaging and Twitter. IMO the short of it is given that Holland America now manage Cunard and P&O in Europe Cunard certainly seem to be dumbing down the dress code - in line with the dress code definition of HAL: Which I consider to be yet another poor Cunard marketing decision/policy - despite Cunards 'customer services' staff denial. I am sure others share this concern and they too may want to blitz Cunard with queries regarding this dumbing down by stealth. Others members may want to take this up with Cunard - good luck!! Here is my conversation with them:

-

I have a query regarding your possible down grading of your dress codes on your ships. I have a booking on #QM2 In June - the ticket and the Voyage Personaliser clearly show the dress code as 'FORMAL' & 'INFORMAL' (Jacket Required) - BUT - another booking this year on QE in September has a NEW dress code 'GALA EVENING' & 'SMART ATTIRE'. IS CUNARD CHANGING/DOWNGRADING ITS DRESS CODE TO BE RELAXED/LACKING similar to @HALcruises who use the same definitions? PLEASE ADVISE. I am very concerned as a regular Cunard passenger who likes the formal aspect of Cunard, I am sure I am not on my own.

- Hi David, Thank you for your message. I believe I just replied to one of your comments on Facebook, so apologies as I had not seen you had messaged directly. As you may have already seen, there are currently no plans to change the dress code on board. The wording is just slightly different.

For more information, please look at the following link on our website:

http://*******/2GdOkaR. It details here the same dress code that you will be used to :) Kind regards, James

-

- Hi David, I totally understand why you are worried about this, so rest assured, I have fed these comments back to the relevant department. I know they are just trialing new language and wording, to keep things fresh. It does not mean the dress code will be changed at all. I hope this helps to address your concern. Just to confirm, the dress code will remain the same as before. Kind regards, James

-

Thank you James - sorry but I am not convinced - no one is explaining why Cunard are now using the very casual dress code terms as the much more casual HAL - is it a coincidence that @Cunard are now under HAL management. I have 2 further cruises with Cunard in 2018 - a full World Cruise +Alaska in 2019 - as a premium World Cruise member I think we deserve better than a PR fob off. But thank you for your bothering to respond - regards David

Morning James - thank you for that but to be frank that does not address my and others concern. If you change the wording on VP and ticket folders yet NOT change other documents to use the same terminology it will cause evn more confusion. Is it therefore a 'coincidence' ' that the new term are the same as @HALcruises who have a much more casual dress code than @Cunard. Please advise.

I just noticed something curious regarding the dress code designations in voyage personaliser for our upcoming voyages on QM2. We are booked on three consecutive voyages M821 (eastbound crossing), M822 (Norwegian Fjords), and M823 (westbound crossing).

The dress code for our first crossing was posted in voyage personaliser a little over a month ago and is what I was expecting.

Voyage M821

10 June - New York Embark - Dress: Informal (Jacket Required)

11 June - Sea Day - Dress: Formal (Royal Cunard Ball)

12 June - Sea Day - Dress: Informal (Jacket Required)

13 June - Sea Day - Dress: Formal

14 June - Sea Day - Dress: Informal (Jacket Required)

15 June - Sea Day - Dress: Formal (Roaring Twenties Ball)

16 June - Sea Day - Dress: Informal (Jacket Required)

17 June- Southampton Disembark

The dress codes for our next two voyages were just posted today in voyage personaliser and are not exactly what I was expecting. Here is what is listed within the itineraries for those two voyages.

Voyage M822

17 June - Southampton Embark - Dress: Informal (Jacket Required)

18 June - Sea Day - Dress: Gala Evening (Black & White Ball)

19 June - Bergen - Dress: Smart Attire

20 June - Alesund - Dress: Smart Attire

21 June - Flaam - Dress: Smart Attire

22 June - Stavanger - Dress: Gala Evening (Masquerade Ball)

23 June - Sea Day - Dress: Smart Attire

24 June - Southampton Disembark

Voyage M823

24 June - Southampton Embark - Dress: Smart Attire

25 June - Sea Day - Dress: Gala Evening (Black & White Ball)

26 June - Sea Day - Dress: Smart Attire

27 June - Sea Day - Dress: Gala Evening

28 June - Sea Day - Dress: Smart Attire

29 June - Sea Day - Dress: Gala Evening (Masquerade Ball)

30 June - Sea Day - Dress: Smart Attire

01 July - New York Disembark

The best I can make of this is that Cunard is starting to call the "Formal" dress code "Gala Evening" instead and is starting to call the "Informal" dress code "Smart Attire" instead. I hope that's all there is to it. I can find no definition of the "Gala Evening" and "Smart Attire" dress codes. I fact, the "What to Wear" page within voyager personaliser still refers to the dress codes as "Formal" and "Informal", so I'm not sure what to make of this.

Just wanted to bring this up in case anyone else has any other ideas about what Cunard may be up to with these new "Gala Evening" and "Smart Attire" dress code designations shown in our voyage personaliser itineraries.

John

I queried this with Cunard, conversation is further down the thread, but IMO I only received a PR foboff.

Looks like the Cunard dress code definition will be changingduring the summer. We have a cruise withthem in June 2018 that has the old definitions – FORMAL/INFORMAL, yet ourcruise with Cunard in September 2018 has the new definitions GALA EVENING/SMARTATTIRE, hence my contact with them.

Holland America Line now manage both Cunard and P&O UK. Holland America Lineuses the same dress code definitions now being rolled out to Cunard later inthe Summer – FORMAL became ‘GALA EVENING’, whichsuggests men wear a jacket and tie instead of a full-blown dinner suit!!!!!. INFORMAL became ‘SMART ATTIRE’ which suggests menwear a collared shirt and slacks, no mention of ajacket!!! and women wear a casual dress or trousers and blouse.

Hardly the Cunard we now know and love after 19 voyages withthem. I do hope this is not the dumbingdown of a fine traditional cruise line. We have our first full World Cruise and one toAlaska in 2019 and truly hope we have not made a mistake given these changes.

Ours is showing the same for our next cruise and we have a Black & White Ball on our last night [emoji33]

Depending on when you sail you may want to check your Voyage Personaliser - if it is later in the summer the definitions could have changed - ours in June was the same - the one in September has now changed to the HAL type dress code!

Absolutely gutted if they are really changing the dress code. Suspect that the bottom line is simply 'money'. Would love to know what numbers are sailing with Cunard and whether they are falling. If so, then perhaps the 'powers that be' think that by relaxing the dress code the number of bookings will go up.

Screwed logic of course as people will almost certainly end up looking for cheap offers on other lines.

Depending on when you sail you may want to check your Voyage Personaliser - if it is later in the summer the definitions could have changed - ours in June was the same - the one in September has now changed to the HAL type dress code!
It's not a HAL type dress code, it's the Cunard dress code. I have no reason yet to believe that anything is changing beyond the name.

I just called Cunard and they think the dress policy is changing. My Voyage Personaliser now states Smart Attire for some nights (used to be informal) and Gala Evening for what used to be formal nights.

Will be a couple of weeks until new definition.

I think the changeover will depend on the date of your cruise.

Which is very interesting as I FB Messengered Cunard who completely deny anything is changing - which to be frank I consider to be a total 'crock' - their Customer Service staff member said:

- Hi David, I totally understand why you are worried about this, so rest assured, I have fed these comments back to the relevant department. I know they are just trialing new language and wording, to keep things fresh. It does not mean the dress code will be changed at all. I hope this helps to address your concern. Just to confirm, the dress code will remain the same as before. Kind regards, James

It does many one wonder if the exectives at Cunard/Holland America actually know what they are doing and actually cascade down the line their dictates!!!

It's not a HAL type dress code, it's the Cunard dress code. I have no reason yet to believe that anything is changing beyond the name.

You appear to be a marketer's dream Hattie. I on the other hand am firmly of the opinion that once the terms have been changed and are in place for a few months, the definitions will also change to reflect the new words. Words have meanings and Cunard is now in bed with those who wish a casual cruise. Though the other lines say one can dress up. Try dressing up on NCL and then request a sharing table. One might just as well be wearing a do not touch sign.

The only reason I cruise on Cunard is so at least for a few days out of the year I can dress in a civilized manner for the full evening. Can not do that in the vast majority of places in the US and not stand out and be in many places be ridiculed.

I queried this with Cunard via FB, FB direct messaging and Twitter. IMO the short of it is given that Holland America now manage Cunard and P&O in Europe Cunard certainly seem to be dumbing down the dress code - in line with the dress code definition of HAL: Which I consider to be yet another poor Cunard marketing decision/policy - despite Cunards 'customer services' staff denial. I am sure others share this concern and they too may want to blitz Cunard with queries regarding this dumbing down by stealth. Others members may want to take this up with Cunard - good luck!! Here is my conversation with them:

-

I have a query regarding your possible down grading of your dress codes on your ships. I have a booking on #QM2 In June - the ticket and the Voyage Personaliser clearly show the dress code as 'FORMAL' & 'INFORMAL' (Jacket Required) - BUT - another booking this year on QE in September has a NEW dress code 'GALA EVENING' & 'SMART ATTIRE'. IS CUNARD CHANGING/DOWNGRADING ITS DRESS CODE TO BE RELAXED/LACKING similar to @HALcruises who use the same definitions? PLEASE ADVISE. I am very concerned as a regular Cunard passenger who likes the formal aspect of Cunard, I am sure I am not on my own.

- Hi David, Thank you for your message. I believe I just replied to one of your comments on Facebook, so apologies as I had not seen you had messaged directly. As you may have already seen, there are currently no plans to change the dress code on board. The wording is just slightly different.

For more information, please look at the following link on our website:

http://*******/2GdOkaR. It details here the same dress code that you will be used to :) Kind regards, James

-

-

Thank you James - sorry but I am not convinced - no one is explaining why Cunard are now using the very casual dress code terms as the much more casual HAL - is it a coincidence that @Cunard are now under HAL management. I have 2 further cruises with Cunard in 2018 - a full World Cruise +Alaska in 2019 - as a premium World Cruise member I think we deserve better than a PR fob off. But thank you for your bothering to respond - regards David

Morning James - thank you for that but to be frank that does not address my and others concern. If you change the wording on VP and ticket folders yet NOT change other documents to use the same terminology it will cause evn more confusion. Is it therefore a 'coincidence' ' that the new term are the same as @HALcruises who have a much more casual dress code than @Cunard. Please advise.

I thought I had responded to this, but I guess it didn't go through. I find the responses to be a lot of customer service double talk. I see no point in refreshing the wording if the MEANING is unchanged. My crossing is in June, before the new wording takes effect, but I'm going to be watching to see what they do to the MEANING of these new terms before I reach final payment on my 2019 cruise.

Then you're more trusting than I am. I find the change to "gala" significant. Why is Cunard using another line's term, a term used by that line (HAL) when they chose to lower the sartorial limbo bar (to borrow a phrase from the HAL board)? They could have said "elegant" or "posh" or some other word. But they borrowed a word from a sister line.

Just sayin'...

Here is HAL's evening dress code and definition of "Gala Night." Let's hope Cunard isn't going to this.

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.
  • Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Collared shirt and slacks--polo shirts and khakis, as someone said--is not my idea of dressing to impress!

Sure, we can all dress up if we want to. But if Cunard dumbs down the dress code to this extent, the ambiance of formal (oops "gala") nights will be diluted to the point of nonexistence before long.

Don't forget HAL (and presumably Cunard now) allow denim jeans on 'Smart Attire' nights - so long as they are not ripped - SO HOLLAND AMERICAN LINE STILL HAS STYLE - NOT!!!!

Then you're more trusting than I am. I find the change to "gala" significant. Why is Cunard using another line's term, a term used by that line (HAL) when they chose to lower the sartorial limbo bar (to borrow a phrase from the HAL board)? They could have said "elegant" or "posh" or some other word. But they borrowed a word from a sister line.

Just sayin'...

And time will tell which one of us is right but currently Cunard are telling us things aren't changing so I choose to take them at their word.

Don't forget HAL (and presumably Cunard now) allow denim jeans on 'Smart Attire' nights - so long as they are not ripped - SO HOLLAND AMERICAN LINE STILL HAVE STYLE - NOT!!!!

HAL goes on to say that jeans are not allowed on "Gala nights" but people have reported seeing them.

My last cruise on Holland America was shortly before they changed "formal " to "gala." The definition of formal included "jacket or tie" and it wasn't enforced. The majority of gents, however, did wear jacket and tie and there were several in dinner jackets/tuxedos, including me. There were also two young men wearing T-shirts and baseball caps. HAL's definition of gala has been dumbed-down from what it was for formal.

Some on this forum have mentioned the number of dress codes. When we first started crossing on the Queen Mary 2 there were three dress codes: formal, semi-formal and elegant casual. Each had a definition.

If the dress standards are lowered, it is not mandatory for any of us to follow it. I think most regular Cunard travellers view the dress code as a minimum. I have never gone to dinner on a Cunard ship without a jacket and tie since our first crossing in 1973 and I don't intend to lower my standards.

With respect I believe on Cunard the only reason most if not all passengers look smart is due to the current dress code. The new one (which Cunard deny will change anything!!) will be far less clear and will attract new passengers previously put off by the old dress code and they will simply wear what they feel like. IMO and no disrespect but the US and Australia do have a different angle on what is appropriate dress in a very smart upscale restaurant, particularly when on vacation/holiday. So Cunard will go down the head just like Holland America Line is headed. Two downgraded classic cruise lines - thanks to Carnival Corporation.

I saw this question re. Gala nights in a FB forum yesterday.

My answer was that I think Cunard are going down the route of Holland America, using the word Gala instead of formal.

In other words, Gala night means dress up if you like, or if not dress as you like.

Last year at this time of the year I took my first HA cruise since the early 1980’s.

The Gala night was something that concerned me and my husband as we always dress to the nines for dinner.

With this in mind we booked fixed dining and a table for two, My reasoning been, if we sat at a large table we could end up sat next to someone in shorts.

My fears were squashed once onboard as on Gala Night many people dressed in formal wear. There were many passengers from Holland onboard who like to dress.

Men in DJ”S. Ladies in long dresses but not glamorous as you would see in Cunard, but they dressed up. The main dining room we found most passengers were well dressed.

I wore my long beaded dresses they were well admired and I did not care if no one else was in such a glamorous dress.

I wore what I like. I also took calf-length dresses for two Gala nights. Again glitzy beaded numbers, again well received.

This made me realise there is life outside Cunard.So much so we have booked another cruise on HA.

We have cruised mainly on Cunard for many years , hundreds of nights onboard so we were reluctant to change

I have after 40 years of cruising, now I am finally coming round to thinking the glory days of an era that Cunard try to portray are over.

Sad as it is, I do think this is no technical hitch.

Shame, and very disappointing as over the years we like many people have spent thousands of pounds on clothes alone to dress up for formal nights. Evening gowns, evening shoes, bags jewellery all bought for Cunard cruises.

Themed balls dresses also, only to be worn on Cunard.

Men on Cunard spend more than some ladies. They love to dress for formal nights.

Now if these nights go these clothes are mothballed.

I always used to say, once the dress code goes, I stop cruising.

Now after experiencing a ”Gala” night on HA. I realise you dress to please yourself and do not stress what others think or do.

I would like to think Cunard will uphold the dress standards, but as things are I doubt it. I for one will be upset at this as it was what made Cunard special.

Things are getting too difficult for staff to enforce any dress code. They should be trained to know how to deal with passengers who wear jeans anoraks hoodies, in the Chart Room as they did on our recent Christmas cruise.

Staff not trained to approach them and refuse service.

I like others on here, we will have to consider more cruises on different lines if the dress code goes to this mish-mash of things. Why pay for something that is advertised as old-time glamour and get just the norm for other cruise lines?

BTW, the dress code may not be too formal on HA but on the plus side, their food was far superior. In the meantime we have three cruises to partake on Cunard so just hope and pray the dress standards are kept .

I haven't taken my first cruise yet, but part of the appeal of Cunard is the formality of it; a throwback to another era. I like the idea of dressing for dinner, even for an informal night, and have been looking forward to it. It would be a shame if "smart attire" means that jeans will be allowed after 6pm.

I am with you on this one. Am booked on V823 around the med as my first cruise. Have waited a long time to partake in my first cruise with one of the main appeals being the formality of a Cunard cruise. A hark back to yesteryear.

Hope this is just a simple error in the system, as otherwise will be poor start to my cruising.

I'd love to believe that this is all some glitch or April Fool joke. Sadly though we have seen things show up in the system before there was a formal announcement - like deck 13 statesrooms online before it was announced that there would be any up there. I'm so mad I want to cancel my June sailing because what they are delivering is a substantial departure compared to that at time of booking. I'm stuck unless I want to eat a huge cancellation penalty. Not too late to cancel my later sailing however.

I am as mad as you are and totally disappointed in the so called 'management' at Cunard/Holland America that they fob loyal passengers of with a total spin of rubbish. We too have cruises booked with Cunard because we love the formality and smartness - 14 days June 2018 - 14 days September 2018 - 107 days January 2019 (the World Cruise) and 14 days in June 2019!!! So you can understand why I am totally disgusted with Cunard if this goes the way it looks = dumbed down Cunard.

I saw this question re. Gala nights in a FB forum yesterday.

My answer was that I think Cunard are going down the route of Holland America, using the word Gala instead of formal.

In other words, Gala night means dress up if you like, or if not dress as you like.

Last year at this time of the year I took my first HA cruise since the early 1980’s.

The Gala night was something that concerned me and my husband as we always dress to the nines for dinner.

With this in mind we booked fixed dining and a table for two, My reasoning been, if we sat at a large table we could end up sat next to someone in shorts.

My fears were squashed once onboard as on Gala Night many people dressed in formal wear. There were many passengers from Holland onboard who like to dress.

Men in DJ”S. Ladies in long dresses but not glamorous as you would see in Cunard, but they dressed up. The main dining room we found most passengers were well dressed.

I wore my long beaded dresses they were well admired and I did not care if no one else was in such a glamorous dress.

I wore what I like. I also took calf-length dresses for two Gala nights. Again glitzy beaded numbers, again well received.

This made me realise there is life outside Cunard.So much so we have booked another cruise on HA.

We have cruised mainly on Cunard for many years , hundreds of nights onboard so we were reluctant to change

I have after 40 years of cruising, now I am finally coming round to thinking the glory days of an era that Cunard try to portray are over.

Sad as it is, I do think this is no technical hitch.

Shame, and very disappointing as over the years we like many people have spent thousands of pounds on clothes alone to dress up for formal nights. Evening gowns, evening shoes, bags jewellery all bought for Cunard cruises.

Themed balls dresses also, only to be worn on Cunard.

Men on Cunard spend more than some ladies. They love to dress for formal nights.

Now if these nights go these clothes are mothballed.

I always used to say, once the dress code goes, I stop cruising.

Now after experiencing a ”Gala” night on HA. I realise you dress to please yourself and do not stress what others think or do.

I would like to think Cunard will uphold the dress standards, but as things are I doubt it. I for one will be upset at this as it was what made Cunard special.

Things are getting too difficult for staff to enforce any dress code. They should be trained to know how to deal with passengers who wear jeans anoraks hoodies, in the Chart Room as they did on our recent Christmas cruise.

Staff not trained to approach them and refuse service.

I like others on here, we will have to consider more cruises on different lines if the dress code goes to this mish-mash of things. Why pay for something that is advertised as old-time glamour and get just the norm for other cruise lines?

BTW, the dress code may not be too formal on HA but on the plus side, their food was far superior. In the meantime we have three cruises to partake on Cunard so just hope and pray the dress standards are kept .

Sorry to say I have to agree with you - Cunard look to be going the same way as Holland America Line - down 'The Head'. Run out of Miami by so called Managers who have no idea of style. Dress code is a dress code - if you enter a place/hotel/restaurant ship you should be asked to comply with the dress code or be denied access. On land I am fortunate to go to the 'London Ritz and its restaurant a few times a year; love its style - despite the fact I go a few times I know if I arrived inappropriately dressed they would respectfully and politely ask me to comply or tell me I can not dine/drink there. I know that - I accept that. Its called rules and style - something HAL clearly do now have

Actually Princess is more formal than Holland America. I was on Princess in January and for the most part men wore suits or tuxedos on "formal" night and it was still called formal night.

Although there was no restriction on what you could wear in other parts of the ship outside the main dinning room.

Although I saw it on the itinerary Princess does not really do ballroom dancing.

On other nights the suggested attire was smart casual which appears to be more formal than Holland America's other evenings.

It will be funny if Princess lines is more formal than Cunard for a period of time.

If the ambiance goes away and the food on Cunard is not really much better than the other cruise lines they will have to reduce their prices.

Worries me because we have cruised on Cunard and Princess many times and the last time we were on Princess an American at our dinner table on formal night thought black t shirt and black trousers was formal so god knows what is idea of smart attire would be. Smart attire on most other cruise lines meand open shirt and trousers no jacket or tie required and I fear this is the way Cunard are going.

If that is the case why change the names there must be reasoning behind it. If it aint broke dont try and fix it and what fears I have is our American friends whose idea of both formal and smart has a lot to be questioned. All other American ships I have sailed on smart attire is baseball cap and amercian football/baseball t shirts are common and they dont even think wearing any jacket is still formal.

Hi Camgirl.

Like you I have a longish Cunard cruise booked for next year and would be most disappointed with any changes to the dress code.

Of course, on the reverse side, the saving on additional flight costs for excess luggage would enhance the wine fund (I jest of course) and my wife and I will always remain standard bearers for formality: come what may.

Indeed, three weeks ago, prior to joining a Princess Cruise from Los Angeles, we stayed overnight on the Queen Mary and dined in Sir Winston's: fully upholding the the dress standard of yesteryear...

26198585117_79f7dba4da_z.jpg

40176153675_e17751510d_z.jpg

Solent Richard you look fantastic. I would so love to see the Queen Mary one day.

I have also emailed Cunard. I will report back if they reply.

Okay, first-time poster on this board but I do have an eastbound QM2 crossing in October so I thought I would read through the thread. I also have a friend in Southampton who works for Cunard and send her a message this morning asking if it was true that I could forego the additional suitcase and pack only my khakis, t-shirts, ruined jeans, and various ball caps. Here is her reply:

"Hi Michael. Funnily enough I was in a meeting last week where we were discussing dress attire on Cunard. Basically,it is only the wording that has changed. You will definitely need your tux for formal or newly named,gala evenings. On all other evenings you will need to wear smart casual. Absolutely no jeans with strategically placed holes "

Granted, nothing is said about what exactly smart casual is but my jeans went back into the drawer to be brought out for my next Carnival cruise!

I guess we have to think of this as a "remastering" of the dress code.

If this indeed takes effect I bet Cunard has done extensive market research as to how many new passengers they will attract versus how many old ones they will lose. The change answers that question!

I queried this with Cunard, conversation is further down the thread, but IMO I only received a PR foboff.

Looks like the Cunard dress code definition will be changingduring the summer. We have a cruise withthem in June 2018 that has the old definitions – FORMAL/INFORMAL, yet ourcruise with Cunard in September 2018 has the new definitions GALA EVENING/SMARTATTIRE, hence my contact with them.

Holland America Line now manage both Cunard and P&O UK. Holland America Lineuses the same dress code definitions now being rolled out to Cunard later inthe Summer – FORMAL became ‘GALA EVENING’, whichsuggests men wear a jacket and tie instead of a full-blown dinner suit!!!!!. INFORMAL became ‘SMART ATTIRE’ which suggests menwear a collared shirt and slacks, no mention of ajacket!!! and women wear a casual dress or trousers and blouse.

Hardly the Cunard we now know and love after 19 voyages withthem. I do hope this is not the dumbingdown of a fine traditional cruise line. We have our first full World Cruise and one toAlaska in 2019 and truly hope we have not made a mistake given these changes.

I have sons in their twenties and asked one if them what he understood by smart attire and informal wear.

For smart attire he said a shirt and suit pants. For informal he said t-shirt and jeans. Gala evening drew a blank look.

By default he is jeans and t-shirt and rarely wears a suit so I took it as a hopeful sign.

Providing Cunard enforce the current definitions changing the language may help avoid misunderstandings as to what's acceptable, certainly where informal wear is required.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app