Bed on Balcony

Renmar

Whatever you are setting up out there, please keep the noise down. I do not want to hear a lot of racket when I am enjoying my balcony.

I can only wish .;) but if you do hear the noise we will have :').

Theo

Whatever you are setting up out there, please keep the noise down. I do not want to hear a lot of racket when I am enjoying my balcony.

Just to be snarky it would depend on HOW you were enjoying YOUR balcony especially after dark.

They move those beds all the time from Queen to Twin & back (whateverthe passenger requests) they are not that heavy. Anyway, I nixed the idea ofthe mattress anyway and try to go for the comfy lounge, like the one an earlierposter was talking about.

Also, I'm sure I can do my own"Balcony Bed" turndown. I don't expect the steward to do that.

No I'm not pulling any legs. I'm going to try it with the lounger + pad (if they will give it to me).

Theo

We always book the large aft balconies so we used to ask our room steward on the first day to get us two loungers for our balcony.

This was MANY years ago.

Then after the fire on the Star ( https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1576 )

they outlawed smoking on the balcony (it was a cigarette butt thrown from above that started the fire) and no longer allowed the loungers.

I never understood why the wooden suite furniture and loungers on the suite balcony next door to us was still ok but all I know is we haven't been able to get a lounger since 2006.

OP, I slept in the balcony the first night of our Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess. I chose the cabin, an Emerald Deck obstructed view balcony, because of the extended balcony but did not check what was underneath. Our cabin was right above the Crooners piano. It felt and heard like the pianist was inside our cabin. Because this was a Christmas cruise, we were told we could not be relocated as the ship was full. So I dragged my mattress to the balcony. Plenty of room there. I could not hear the infernal piano noise (yay!) but it was a very windy night. When I woke up, I was covered in salt. I dragged the mattress back into the cabin the next morning. For the rest of the cruise I found out the exact times of the sets at Crooners and timed going to sleep to between sets or after the last one. Not fun.:mad:

Edited by Dididi
extra word

OP, I slept in the balcony the first night of our Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess. I chose the cabin, an Emerald Deck obstructed view balcony, because of the extended balcony but did not check what was underneath. Our cabin was right above the Crooners piano. It felt and heard like the pianist was inside our cabin. Because this was a Christmas cruise, we were told we could not be relocated as the ship was full. So I dragged my mattress to the balcony. Plenty of room there. I could not hear the infernal piano noise (yay!) but it was a very windy night. When I woke up, I was covered in salt. I dragged the mattress back into the cabin the next morning. For the rest of the cruise I found out the exact times of the sets at Crooners and timed going to sleep to between sets or after the last one. Not fun.:mad:

So you "dragged" your mattress onto the balcony, and in the morning YOU were covered in salt.? I won't even try to comprehend what that mattress was like after that .....YUCK

Interesting idea, but I being sleeping in the bed inside thank you..

But I do remember about 30 years ago a friend at work went on a cruise to Alaska, he was the adventurous type (truck around Africa, hanging out of helicopters etc ) and he went deck class... he slept on the deck outside.... he said it was cold in his sleeping bag.. looking back we believed him.. after all the crazy things he done.... has anybody else heard of this.

Cheers Don inside with a G&T

• 2 months later...

what you are requesting is similar to what we have had to do on prior cruises. Different reason but same theme.....

We have cruised with our children from just a few months old and when they were in their toddler years and small and then one with bed wetting-- we asked for assistance with bedding arrangements.

we brought miniature cots for them to sleep in vs pulling down the 3rd and 4th bed from the wall/ceiling. Seemed more safe then having them up so high and it was less space taken up in the cabin, etc. Even in the penthouse suite where there was ample room for bedding-- I didn't want to damage the ship mattress when one was still bed wetting- so we were still bringing the cots along with us....

At beginning of cruise we would just explain to cabin steward- and asked them for blanket and sheet and told them not to bother setting up 3rd and 4th bed.

if this is really important to you- you should control the variables vs go with possibilities and what if's .

Bring an air mattress and simply ask for bedding. The cabin steward can give you mattress pad, sheets, blankets. No need for MUTS blankets. You won't have to worry about will they give me a chaise lounge, etc. and if you want to see what size air mattress will fit.call princess and get your balcony measurements. You could even bring a hammock and an air mattress if you wish and if the hammock is capable of hanging-- great for you.

No mattress out on balcony even if it would fit, despite you being ok with it, the mattress would potentially be damaged.

If you are getting to the cruise a day or so early. May be you could buy one of these in a store close to the port..

https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_631258_-1?campID=1331720815&groupID=54861616313&device=c&productID=110267806&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqteanMi42wIVRb7ACh27bgB1EAQYAyABEgJWn_D_BwE

Then get rid of it at the end of the cruise.

Thank you all for your input (pro:) or con:( ).

This is what I am going to try;

• Bring own air mattress & sheets.
  • Ask for blankets from MUTS (No difference if they get salt spray on our balcony or while watching a movie).
  • Ask for egg grate foamy.
  • Tell steward not to bother with making bed on balcony:D.
  • Tip steward appropriately.
  • Keep fingers crossed that it works out, if not, nothing lost.

Theo

When’s the date? Looking forward to an update! And remember, pictures or it didn’t happen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

November 2018, Panama Canal. Will update for sure with pictures ).

Theo

I wanted to read all of this before I replied, but it's 4 pages so I'll have to go back through. First, I wanted to share my experience.

I have been on 2 cruises so far, and both times I slept on the balcony. This was on Carnival Pride, so the ship layout and balconies were a little different but for me, it worked out perfectly and was one of the greatest experiences of my life. That said, I was on a very high deck, far above the ocean so there was no salt water spray at all. Also, the balconies on Pride were a lot more enclosed and very private, there was no way anyone aside from the people in my cabin could see me out there.

I would not recommend trying to take an entire bed or mattress out. On Pride, I was sharing the cabin with 2 other people so I was using the sofa bed. I think I took the couch cushions and sheets/blankets/pillows so it was nice and soft, and easy to bring out. I know this is very frowned on my the cruise lines and cruise community as a whole. But if you have a way to do it without bothering anyone or causing problems to anyone, I really recommend doing this.

From what I've seen of the pictures of Princess balconies, I don't think it would work as easily. I'm sailing in April 2019 and we have a balcony mini suite on E deck. Having seen those pictures, I'm not going to attempt this on Princess- mainly because the balcony looks too close to the water for my comfort and also it doesn't look as private. Even though they are covered on E deck, it looks like the side partitions have some openings at the top and bottom and I wouldn't feel comfortable. I definitely wouldn't do it on an uncovered balcony.

The only balcony I'd try this on for Princess would be one of those very end balcony's at the aft of the ship that are huge. You could try it on Princess and feel it out once you get your cabin, maybe I'm wrong and it would work out. Otherwise, if you ever sail a different cruise line and have a balcony further from the water and more private, go for it!!

Like I said, I did this twice. On my first sailing, it was absolutely perfect. I did it every night for my week long cruise. The weather was beautiful and it was peaceful and quiet, nothing but the sound of the ocean and moonlight over the water. I'll never forget that.

On my second cruise, we must have been in a different part of the ship close to the Lido deck because there was loud music and people yelling/talking loud half the night and it was hard to sleep. It was also very hot and unpleasant some of the nights I was out there, and extremely windy one night.

There are a lot of variables that will make this either a perfect experience, or an unpleasant one. I hope you're able to do it someday, even if it's not on Princess! It's an experience I'll never forget. One of the mornings I woke up as we were coming into a port. When I opened my eyes, the sunrise and ships were so beautiful I grabbed my camera so I could take a picture of the first thing I saw that morning when I woke:

daybreak_by_nikadreamscape.jpg

Thank you all for your input (pro:) or con:( ).

This is what I am going to try;

• Bring own air mattress & sheets.
  • Ask for blankets from MUTS (No difference if they get salt spray on our balcony or while watching a movie).
  • Ask for egg grate foamy.
  • Tell steward not to bother with making bed on balcony:D.
  • Tip steward appropriately.
  • Keep fingers crossed that it works out, if not, nothing lost.

Theo

What happens if the ship is going at say 18 knots into a 20 knot wind and you have to get up to go to the loo.. That means that you have effectively 38 knots of wind blowing across the stuff on the balcony and you are not there to hold it down. You might have to plan to bring some water filled pool cover weights or some sandbags to keep the stuff from blowing away. You will definitely need something to keep the sheets and covers from blowing away while you are sleeping. Also, what happens if your spouse absent mindedness locks the balcony door at night.

Overall, I think that it is a very bad idea. Also, when ship staff sees all the stuff that you are setting out on the balcony, they may nix the idea. Have you dared to ask them about it.

DON

OP - we are from BC too and I must admit the idea of sleeping on the balcony is very appealing. We too have sleep outdoors on many occasion. On our last cruise we were on Emerald A305. We were 4pax per room and the 4th bed was a rollaway cot. It would have been perfect out on our patio. Alas the weather was gale force winds along the pacific coast so we didn’t put it out there. Most definitely it would have fit. Just sayin’

Oh, editing to add a couple of points: As mentioned in this thread, I've heard more than once that they spray down the balconies early in the morning. They didn't do that on Carnival Pride, at least not when I sailed back around 2005 and 2007, so there was never any water or moisture on my balcony. I also made sure to put everything back exactly as it should be in the morning and never left any trace of me sleeping out there for the steward to find. I'm sure there are legal and liability reason why this would be strictly against the rules of any cruise ship. So if you do this, don't let any ship crew know about it and don't leave any evidence outside.

If you would have read my post correctly then you would have noticed that I was merely replying to the suggestion of getting one of those "Suite" lounges with pad.

As for your 10% analysis; by the looks of it I'm so far the only one that would be crazy enough to give it a try. If you like one of those comfy chairs in your cabin, ask your cabin steward, probably not but you never know.

Theo

If you were on my "one and only" suite cruise I would deliver my lounger to you. I have enjoyed so very many unobstructed view - obstructed view balconies I think you deserve it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Or maybe they will get me one of the pool loungers + the blankets.

Theo

You won't be comfortable, trust me. You will be hot, grimy feeling, sweating, and very little privacy. You didn't say where your balcony was located. Can people look down or around the wall at you? I just think it isn't a practical thing to do. JMHO.

P.S. Some say it wouldn't work, but I think it would work on a Caribe balcony, but, it's not a practical idea.

You will be hot, grimy feeling, sweating, and very little privacy. You didn't say where your balcony was located. Can people look down or around the wall at you? I just think it isn't a practical thing to do. JMHO.

CCTV means no balcony cabin's balcony is out of sight from all other people.

What happens if the ship is going at say 18 knots into a 20 knot wind and you have to get up to go to the loo. If the weatherforecast calls for heavy wind and/or heavy rain it is a no go for that day. DW would veto it ;). Also, what happens if your spouse absent mindedness locks the balcony door at night. I do the same what Fred Flintstone would do, bang on the door and call her name :D.

Overall, I think that it is a very bad idea. I have a different opinion. Also, when ship staff sees all the stuff that you are setting out on the balcony, they may nix the idea. Have you dared to ask them about it.

Who do I ask, head office? I am sure they won't be able to give me a correct answer.

DON

You won't be comfortable, trust me. You will be hot, grimy feeling, sweating, and very little privacy. Privacy is not my main concern, if my neighbours want to see me in my PJ’s by peeking through the cracks so be it. You didn't say where your balcony was located. Can people look down or around the wall at you? Our cabin is on Emerald deck aft (see post #20 for location). I just think it isn't a practical thing to do. JMHO.

P.S. Some say it wouldn't work, but I think it would work on a Caribe balcony, but, it's not a practical idea. If it does work I will invite you to see for yourself and share a :wine-glass: .

Theo