ID for children under 18 getting off ship in port

First time cruising with the kids, we leave our passports in the cabin safe and use our drivers licence when leaving the ship but will we have to take the kids passports off the ship on port days? They don't have any other photo ID, they are only 8 and 14 years old.

Thanks in advance

First time cruising with the kids, we leave our passports in the cabin safe and use our drivers licence when leaving the ship but will we have to take the kids passports off the ship on port days? They don't have any other photo ID, they are only 8 and 14 years old.

Thanks in advance

Photo ID is only required for those age 16 and over.

Thanks in advance

When we sailed a few years ago, my grandkids were 3 6 & 8 and only took the seapass. Passports remained in the safe.

Photo ID is only required for those age 16 and over.

Bob,

You cruise a lot more than I do. How often have YOU been asked for photo ID when reboarding the ship at a port (percentage-wise)? I have never been asked for photo ID, not even in Europe.

Bob,

You cruise a lot more than I do. How often have YOU been asked for photo ID when reboarding the ship at a port (percentage-wise)? I have never been asked for photo ID, not even in Europe.

Very low percentage, only once for the 9 Southern Caribbean ports (can't remember which) we visited two weeks ago. However 100% of the time at Nassau.

Maybe its just me, but why would anyone get off a cruise ship, in a foreign country, without some form of photo ID? Whether it gets asked for or not on the way back.

I don't think anyone suggested that any adults get off the ship without a photo ID. OP was asking about children, who typically don't even have photo IDs.

Maybe its just me, but why would anyone get off a cruise ship, in a foreign country, without some form of photo ID? Whether it gets asked for or not on the way back.

Better yet, why would anyone obtain a US Passport and then think traveling outside the US without it made sense? I know, I know, there are a million people who will argue with me. But they'll still be dead wrong. I don't care, you have a passport, take it with you.

We have been asked several times various ports. We ask guest services to make a copy of our passports. I put the copies in a zip lock so they don’t get wet. We just show that and our seacard. Never had an issue, safer than carrying the actually passport off the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is just you.

Everyone else doesn't ......

Better yet, why would anyone obtain a US Passport and then think traveling outside the US without it made sense? I know, I know, there are a million people who will argue with me. But they'll still be dead wrong. I don't care, you have a passport, take it with you.

I agree with your first part, but we all know how many people from the US don´t even have a passport and still travel outside the US.;)

I wouldn´t leave my country without my passport, but if not required I will leave my passport in the ships safe. To me stepping off the ship is not any different than being on a land based vacation and having my passport secured in the hotel safe.

I know there is a slight difference as the ship can move without me and hotels usually don´t do this;). Anyway to me the risk missing the ship is lesser than my passport being stolen.

Of course I will always have my government issued picture ID on me at all times (same as at home). I know this ID does not serve the same purpose as a passport outside my home country, but it´s all I would need to re-enter my home country, regardless from where I´m travelling from.

We took our daughters to the DMV and just got a state ID issued when they were younger to use on our cruises

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

We did the same thing with my Grandson when he was cruising at four and we kept it current until he was 15 and got his learner's permit. We just wanted him to have some sort of photo ID. Can't remember the cost but far less than a driver's license. By the time he was 6, he had a passport too. It just makes sense to have one in case you have to, for whatever reason, fly from a port back to the U.S.

(ID needed in Bahamas, Cuba, Canada, Japan, China).

To answer the question, and not to argue, but to point out some facts. The Caribbean, and Canada are friendly countries that are mostly islands, off our coast. They are visited on a regular basis, with small boats, ships, and of course planes. A little over 10 years ago, the requirement for a passport was initiated, but than it was changed to only require proof of citizenship (BC). Just like today, you need a compliant Drivers License to fly. You don't need a passport to get into these countries in the Caribbean. They do not ask for it. The only time you need ID to enter a country, is when you come home.

If you travel anyplace else in the world, you need a passport. It is scanned, possibly you are fingerprinted, and possibly you are also photographed. Yet, non of that happens in the Caribbean.

I know it's the official ID, and I actually carry it but the "fear" of not being able to get home, from the Caribbean is sometimes a little excessive. You miss the ship, need to fly home. You will need to present yourself to the consulant office, get the proper ID (passport) and pay for it. But you also are paying two arms in one leg for the unexpected travel expenses, so another expense, is the other leg. 10 years from now, you will laugh at it, but it is not the end of the world. You will be home in a couple of days, and you can enjoy the island also.