Walking Out During Shows

gmbhardy

csopi, it's pointless to wrestle in the mud with a pig. You get dirty and the pig enjoys it anyways.

Good point,

However, look at all the states nowadays that are being over run by wild hogs.

Maybe a little wrestling is needed from time to time just to let them know that we don’t appreciate the smell.

I apologize to all readers who interpreted my thread starter as a condemnation of people who walk out during shows. That was not my intention. Ii was simply meant to suggest a way to prevent a mass exodus of theatre goers at the beginning of performances. Perhaps I did not articulate that clearly enough. I love cruising and all the experiences that make cruising special including going to Broadway quality shows. I would like it to be the best experience possible - for everyone. I will not apologize to people who think they are entilted to act rude and obnoxious because it’s their vacation and they can do whatever they want, not specifically in the theatre, but at venues throughout the ship. I was brought up to be polite and respectful and I guess I’m selfish because, to some degree, I naively expect that of other cruisers. For those of you who get some warped sense of humour personally attacking people on these boards, I’d like to meet you for a beer on your next cruise. Let me know your next sailing and I’ll see what I can do because I’ve always wanted to meet a Neanderthal.

Let me know your next sailing and I’ll see what I can do because I’ve always wanted to meet a Neanderthal.

Hmm .. this was an apology .

You and MizDemeaner should make a happy couple maybe you should have that beer together.

You can trade ideas on beer drinking Etiquette.

Edited by csopi

I really wish people would take the time to find out the themes/story lines of the performances before they book them. Far too many people walk out during the shows because they didn’t know what the show is about. This is disrespectful to the performers and audience. In the elevator after a “Brat Pack” performance on the Escape, a gentleman let everyone know that he was disappointed because he was expecting a “Rat Pack” performance. I’ve seen hordes of people walk out during After Midnight, Priscilla, and Rock of Ages because they had no idea of the show’s content. I even saw people walk out during the Beatles show on the Epic. What were they expecting, an entomology seminar?

Walked out on Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert, because it was offensive (and we're not easily offended,) without remorse.

Why should anyone have to sit through something they are personally offended by?

There’s nothing wrong with leaving a show... at the appropriate time.

What is the appropriate time? During applause or scene changes.

While the majority of shows on ships are well produced, some are not and there is no reason to sit and endure what you may feel is a bad performance.

I generally sit in the rear of the theater and if I’m not comfortable with the performance, I can leave without disturbing the audience or the performers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have restored my faith in humanity

Personally, I find people’s dressing habits and eating habits much more horrific. I usually keep that to myself cause I figure it makes me sound like an *******. Shrug.

If someone wants to walk out on some bad talent, meh. They’re probably walking out cause they have good taste.

I really wish people would take the time to find out the themes/story lines of the performances before they book them. Far too many people walk out during the shows because they didn’t know what the show is about. This is disrespectful to the performers and audience. In the elevator after a “Brat Pack” performance on the Escape, a gentleman let everyone know that he was disappointed because he was expecting a “Rat Pack” performance. I’ve seen hordes of people walk out during After Midnight, Priscilla, and Rock of Ages because they had no idea of the show’s content. I even saw people walk out during the Beatles show on the Epic. What were they expecting, an entomology seminar?

I really wish that there was good quality performances in these shows every time I went instead of going to something I thought I would enjoy only to discover that the performers are amateurs who have some High School drama teachings to their credit and got a job so they could travel.

It offends me that people actually stay and watch these shows since if everyone got up and walked out maybe the performances would get better as management realized who bad it was. For shows that the content is offensive maybe they would realize when everyone got up and walked out that they chose the wrong type of show to put on at sea. People staying simply encourages more terrible performances and gives the performers a swelled head from thinking that people actually enjoyed all the mistakes and schreeching they did on stage.

Simply poor etiquette and upbringing to stay and sit through something like that and those people should be ashamed. Not everyone deserves a trophy just for showing up.

I hate when people walk out. Well, until I did it myself. We were seated on an aisle, and toward the back of the theater. It was the Legends in Concert crap on the Epic. We lasted for 2 acts, then hightailed it out of there as they were switching to the 3rd act. I learned that show just isn't our thing. I had to pee anyway, and I needed another drink, so there you go.

I hate when people walk out. Well, until I did it myself. We were seated on an aisle, and toward the back of the theater. It was the Legends in Concert crap on the Epic. We lasted for 2 acts, then hightailed it out of there as they were switching to the 3rd act. I learned that show just isn't our thing. I had to pee anyway, and I needed another drink, so there you go.

We've done it too. We try to be discrete about it. Well, as much as one can be, I guess. There has been the occasion when the singing is just awful. Why torture ourselves. If we are in the back few rows and in aisle seats, we sneak out between acts.

Great passive aggressive post that 100% confirms everything that you just said your initial post was not about, was indeed exactly what it was about.

Your wit and wisdom is indisputable. I’m no match for your literary brilliance and superior reasoning abilities, so I am resigning from this thread bruised, battered and defeated. Have a nice day!

Your wit and wisdom is indisputable. I’m no match for your literary brilliance and superior reasoning abilities, so I am resigning from this thread bruised, battered and defeated. Have a nice day!

You can’t just walk out when you feel like it.

Not until the Etiquette lady has officially dismissed you.

Awwww Hardy, don't feel bad. This was a very interesting unique thread IMHO. I have been perusing NCL CC for several years now and have never seen one like it. Obviously some people have strong opinions one way or the other. It was a refreshing entertaining change from the bottled water threads or the Haven threads or the Butler threads or the no Coke products threads. (To me anyway since I have an entertainer in the family) Gave us something new to think about. I think most of us can simply agree that if we are going to leave a show do so as unobtrusively as possible. No need to sit and suffer. Have a good Tuesday everyone!

Awwww Hardy, don't feel bad. This was a very interesting unique thread IMHO. I have been perusing NCL CC for several years now and have never seen one like it. Obviously some people have strong opinions one way or the other. It was a refreshing entertaining change from the bottled water threads or the Haven threads or the Butler threads or the no Coke products threads. (To me anyway since I have an entertainer in the family) Gave us something new to think about. I think most of us can simply agree that if we are going to leave a show do so as unobtrusively as possible. No need to sit and suffer. Have a good Tuesday everyone!

You forgot the 'bathrobe' threads. My personal favorite!

I see that you are all missing me already, and only one short work day later.:p

Seriously...alot of the folks who are in these shows have professional credentials and union cards; they do the best they can to improve their skills and improve their resumes. I don't see them as High School really, although there are superstars in that genre, but many of the performers are quite good even in HS. Thats how they get further on in thier career and on to ships.

Thinking specifically of MDQ, it felt a wee bit longish, maybe because its not a full day out on Boardway as an event, but it is a show stop while onboard for breaking up the evening; the guy who played Jerry Lee Lewis last year on Geatway, ( I have no idea who is doing it now or if this the same guy) and his piano playing skills coupled with his absolute physical fever in the role was pretty spectacular.

I see that you are all missing me already, and only one short work day later.:p

Seriously...alot of the folks who are in these shows have professional credentials and union cards; they do the best they can to improve their skills and improve their resumes. I don't see them as High School really, although there are superstars in that genre, but many of the performers are quite good even in HS. Thats how they get further on in thier career and on to ships.

Thinking specifically of MDQ, it felt a wee bit longish, maybe because its not a full day out on Boardway as an event, but it is a show stop while onboard for breaking up the evening; the guy who played Jerry Lee Lewis last year on Geatway, ( I have no idea who is doing it now or if this the same guy) and his piano playing skills coupled with his absolute physical fever in the role was pretty spectacular.

I know this is a fake post because you gave no etiquette advice. Your account has been hacked!