Walking Out During Shows

gmbhardy

As has been said in the past, you can always leave the thread if you don't find any value in it. Unlike the theater discussion, I doubt you will offend anyone by leaving. If this one thread is eating into your internet bandwidth, maybe you should look for another service provider.

Agreed. Some threads are not for everyone. I cringe when someone says "This thread should be locked because I say so!"

Agreed. Some threads are not for everyone. I cringe when someone says "This thread should be locked because I say so!"

Actually it feeds right in to the topic of the thread. Someone deciding that things should always go the way that they want them to go, regardless of anyone else.

For sure not everything is going to appeal to all, but it is human nature to give it a try and if you don’t like it you make a polite exit there is nothing else required.

Seems like there were a lot fewer walkouts when the female dancers were in thongs! 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems like there were a lot fewer walkouts when the female dancers were in thongs! 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Careful, there just has to be an “Etiquette” for that [emoji33]

Rather than ironic, I would call it a possible case of double standard. The Sun thread contained useful and relevant information.

Don't question the choices of the moderators, they end you nasty-grams saying you can't question the moderators.

If I knew that someone was sitting through a show they weren’t enjoying because they were concerned about upsetting me, I would be completely mortified. Thus, the Golden Rule dictates that I *must* leave if I’m not enjoying the show, as I would most definitely want anyone else to do the same. Expecting them to suffer through the entire show so that I can avoid 30 seconds of minor inconvenience would be incredibly selfish. If someone tries to tell me about “theater etiquette” created by some group of people 100+ years ago that dicates that a person must suffer a great inconvenience in order to not cause minor inconvenience to others, it’s just going to make me question the mental health of the people who came up with those rules.

I do not think I would walk out on a comedian, no matter how bad.....risk of catching his/her attention and being put on the spot.

My wife and I walked out on a comedian on our last cruise, not because he was bad, but because he was offensive, joking about hurting children. I would have loved for him to have put me on the spot. :halo:

If I knew that someone was sitting through a show they weren’t enjoying because they were concerned about upsetting me, I would be completely mortified. Thus, the Golden Rule dictates that I *must* leave if I’m not enjoying the show, as I would most definitely want anyone else to do the same. Expecting them to suffer through the entire show so that I can avoid 30 seconds of minor inconvenience would be incredibly selfish. If someone tries to tell me about “theater etiquette” created by some group of people 100+ years ago that dicates that a person must suffer a great inconvenience in order to not cause minor inconvenience to others, it’s just going to make me question the mental health of the people who came up with those rules.

For the love! I usher at 2 theaters as a volunteer and to me theater etiquette does not dictate that anyone must suffer or stay in a show that they do not enjoy. Basically it suggests that you do not disturb the performers or fellow theater goers if you decide to leave. Some people may be enjoying the show! I do not think people have to stay and suffer if it is that bad. I have only cruised on the Getaway twice, but have not seen large groups of people getting up and leaving at the same time. (Not that it has not happened)

Another point: to not talk during the show so that others cannot concentrate. Another to not bring small children. I have been to a show in my home town where a patron brought a small child who would not stop talking loudly especially in the quiet scenes. We had to ask her politely to take the child outside. One more-not be on your phone during shows. The phone light is disturbing. Basic courtesies. It is live theater, not the movies, but the same courtesies extend to the movies as well.

Now NCL will not enforce these courtesies, but if you go to a Broadway show or a regional theater or a community theater, the ushers or house manager will. Who knows? For some cruisers, this may be their first experience with theater. They may not know. That is why I like this thread. It gives us a chance to "talk" about these issues.

BTW I have left a show on London's West End at intermission because it was so bad. And we paid good money for the show. Also the people in front of us (will not say what country they were from) had really bad BO. Every time the air cut on it would blow the smell back to us! Now BO is a theater "no no" that has not been mentioned!

Edited by Seminole1975

Another point: to not talk during the show so that others cannot concentrate. Another to not bring small children. I have been to a show in my home town where a patron brought a small child who would not stop talking loudly especially in the quiet scenes. We had to ask her politely to take the child outside. One more-not be on your phone during shows. The phone light is disturbing. Basic courtesies. It is live theater, not the movies, but the same courtesies extend to the movies as well.

Good points, basic etiquette is, after all, about courtesy to other people.

to me theater etiquette does not dictate that anyone must suffer or stay in a show that they do not enjoy.

Then my post wasn’t directed at you. I agree with what you said, although I wouldn’t call it “theater etiquette” but “common courtesy.”

I haven't seen, or at least have not noticed, large groups of people leaving when a show starts or interrupting others; but if it does happen shouldn't the cruise line be noticing this and use it as a barometer to tailoring entertainment to the demographics of a ship in the future? If everyone sits glued to seats but doesn't really enjoy the show the cruise line might think the performer is great and schedule them more. Definitely a possibility.

Then my post wasn’t directed at you. I agree with what you said, although I wouldn’t call it “theater etiquette” but “common courtesy.”

Websters Dictionary Definition of etiquette (a noun): the rules indicating the proper and polite way to behave.

Full definition: The conduct or procedure required by good breeding or prescribed by authority to be observed in social or official life.

Not proving a point, just was interested in the official definition. Certainly no "authority" in the theater. More like common courtesy but not everyone has even that.

This is a very long thread & I don't want to muddy the waters ....but I really hate it when certain folk get to the theatre early but choose to sit on the outside 2 seats of a row. Then they "tut" loudly & look aggrieved when others need to squeeze past them to find a seat. But wait....perhaps they sit there so they can beat a hasty exit if they are...offended, need a toilet break, have a child calling from the creche, need another all-inc drink from the bar, or hate the show for various other reasons. Do not even mention the passenger who coughed loudly & persistently throughout an entire performance, spreading Cruise Cough left right & centre. That was one time we really should have just got up & left, but we were in middle row seats so would have caused a lot of inconvenience to others. However the ensuing Cruise Cough we contracted caused us a lot of inconvenience