Walking Out During Shows

gmbhardy

No, that poster was referring to the people who think the ship is their own home and go up and grab breakfast in their jammies/robes. True stuff, believe it or not. :D

No. This poster has family and friends who act in, and actually become engaged by, people who PRODUCE shows for guests to enjoy.

I really wish that there was good quality performances in these shows every time I went instead of going to something I thought I would enjoy only to discover that the performers are amateurs who have some High School drama teachings to their credit and got a job so they could travel.

It offends me that people actually stay and watch these shows since if everyone got up and walked out maybe the performances would get better as management realized who bad it was. For shows that the content is offensive maybe they would realize when everyone got up and walked out that they chose the wrong type of show to put on at sea. People staying simply encourages more terrible performances and gives the performers a swelled head from thinking that people actually enjoyed all the mistakes and schreeching they did on stage.

Simply poor etiquette and upbringing to stay and sit through something like that and those people should be ashamed. Not everyone deserves a trophy just for showing up.

There are forms you can fill out to give feedback to Norwegian on the shows good or bad. MDQ was voted "Best Show in the Fleet" (by the passengers) 2 years ago when the Getaway was in the Caribbean. The cast got to go to a reception with the Captain and other officers. Saw the pictures.

I am sure you can fill out the same forms (sorry don't know what they are exactly-maybe like the Hero cards) to register your dislike of certain shows if you want to take the time to do so.

You can’t just walk out when you feel like it.

Not until the Etiquette lady has officially dismissed you.

Well, they ARE the OP. So really this IS their show.

So, with that thought, they are not slinking out of the audience, they are simply bowing out and exiting stage left.

Next act?

There are forms you can fill out to give feedback to Norwegian on the shows good or bad. MDQ was voted "Best Show in the Fleet" 2 years ago when the Getaway was in the Caribbean. The cast got to go to a reception with the Captain and other officers. Saw the pictures.

I am sure you can fill out the same forms (sorry don't know what they are exactly-maybe like the Hero cards) to register your dislike of certain shows if you want to take the time to do so.

So are you saying I should sit through an entire show I don't like just so I can give a full report about how much I don't like it?

So are you saying I should sit through an entire show I don't like just so I can give a full report about how much I don't like it?

Funny. Noooooo

Everyone of my posts has been in support of leaving if you don't like a show. You want to see better shows? There are ways to give feedback is all. If you want to.

What is your problem? If you want to go then go...do you still really nee to BRAG ABOUT IT??? To feel justified?

What is your problem? If you want to go then go...do you still really nee to BRAG ABOUT IT??? To feel justified?

I thought your entire point was that I was not allowed to go because it violated some sort of etiquette rule and therefore I had to stay for the entire show no matter how bad I thought it was?

I thought your entire point was that I was not allowed to go because it violated some sort of etiquette rule and therefore I had to stay for the entire show no matter how bad I thought it was?

No. My rule is my rule....you all made yours. You, maybe not you, but others...jumped on that bandwagon and got sucked in very, very early on.

There is Etiquette however, which may be an alternate topic. Or maybe the main topic. Not my problem really as I follow my own self-governing rules.

I've seen plenty of shows and performances on the cruises I've taken. Thank you though.

And perhaps the cruise line can take notice of the mass exodus of the patrons and DO something about the lousy entertainment!

I think that’s one of the underlying concerns. They just might do something along the lines of upgrading the shows and slapping a fee on them.

Seems like some feel that because the shows are “free” the are on par with the buffet where you can take as little or as much as you like. And once something is “free” it’s not valued as much.

So, I certainly could see the line rationalizing “a modest fee that makes it less likely that passengers make reservations for shows they may or may not plan on attending”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No. My rule is my rule....you all made yours. You, maybe not you, but others...jumped on that bandwagon and got sucked in very, very early on.

There is Etiquette however, which may be an alternate topic. Or maybe the main topic. Not my problem really as I follow my own self-governing rules.

This does not surprise me.

Didn’t take you long to get back to the Etiquette BS.

It’s a family oriented cruise ship not an Opera house in Rome. This includes children and people from all walks of life.

There are many different activities all over the ship for the passengers enjoyment.

You don’t enjoy a show or lounge or activity you make a polite exit, done, end, somebody doesn’t like the 5 second interruption, tough they will get over it.

Nobody needs a rule or Etiquette or a busy body trying to impose her nonsense on others.

Didn’t take you long to get back to the Etiquette BS.

It’s a family oriented cruise ship not an Opera house in Rome. This includes children and people from all walks of life.

There are many different activities all over the ship for the passengers enjoyment.

You don’t enjoy a show or lounge or activity you make a polite exit, done, end, somebody doesn’t like the 5 second interruption, tough they will get over it.

Nobody needs a rule or Etiquette or a busy body trying to impose her nonsense on others.

Yea. Not to mention those of us that are polite enough to leave our child in the child care area so as not to disturb other guests watching the show, and then we may get an emergency call from them that we are needed for potty assistance, or whatever.

Frankly, I find the judgement here by op really over the top. You don’t know why someone is leaving the show, and too bad. It’s not your business and it’s kind of appalling for it to upset you.

Ok so 315 plus replies here and nothing has change or will change. Some people agree others do not, no one wants to change the positions they have taken. So after 300 post what is the point of this thread? Long past the time it should have been locked. Now people seem to just be fighting here to prove the point they are making. The site would be better if this is over.

Holy crap! Be cognizant of others and do your best to not disturb the show.

Good advice, but I don't think anyone in the "you should be able to leave a show" crowd believes that you should be disturbing the show when you leave.

I know I would not care if someone got up and quietly left a show. I would take issue with someone making a scene and disturbing the show for everyone else.

Ok so 315 plus replies here and nothing has change or will change. Some people agree others do not, no one wants to change the positions they have taken. So after 300 post what is the point of this thread? Long past the time it should have been locked. Now people seem to just be fighting here to prove the point they are making. The site would be better if this is over.

Because, as has been mentioned, this is something fresh. And certainly does not take away from the many threads on how much to tip or where to get Coke products.

Etiquette? It’s a flipping cruise ship, not Broadway. You didn’t specifically pay for the shows, which can be very poor at best sometimes.

Been in more than a few Broadway theaters. While, of course the performers are better, sets and costumes usually not much better. And for sure I would rather be in a spacious cruise ship theater where the seats even have drink holders than in a NY theater where the seats are more bunched together than an airplane, and many more seats with poor lines of sight.

People in Broadway shows undoubtedly have children and other concerns, but I don’t see them getting up and leaving in the numbers you see on every ship’s show. And with rare exception, the ship’s shows are usually much shorter.

I really don’t believe the reason for the difference is the quality is that much worse. I think people leave mostly because the dinner reservations at times the co-ordinate with the shows book up quickly and folks take the dinner reservation they can get and dabble in the show as they can. And yes, since you didn’t pay extra for the show, it feels less wrong to do so than if you did.

For me this is not about politeness. The whole point of going to a live performance is about sharing a common experience with a bunch of strangers. We come together and get invested in the production and there’s a shared energy that makes it special (if the performers are half way decent). When people come and go as the please, they not making an effort to be part of the group, they don’t get as much out of it and they don’t share any enthusiasm with their fellow passengers.

When you go to see a Broadway Show, it is usually something that you are looking forward to, something that you have researched and paying for specifically.

On a cruise ship it is just one of the many attractions that people may try.

For many it may be the first time they see this type of show.

As an example I went to see MDQ with my adult son.

The one playing Jerry Lee Lewis was excellent the one playing Elvis was worse than some of the impersonators on the street in Vegas.

For the most part I enjoyed it, my son yawned through it and stayed only to be with me. He recognized two songs total and did not care for the rest of the nostalgic performance.

There was a group of French Canadians behind us who left 10 minutes in because there was just too much dialogue in the performance and not enough singing and they were having trouble following it.

The whole point of a vacation is to have fun and get away from the daily grind.

One of the reasons why people choose a cruise is because of all the things available to entertain you, all of which is within a 5 minute reach.

For sure not everything is going to appeal to all, but it is human nature to give it a try and if you don’t like it you make a polite exit there is nothing else required.

As has been said in the past, you can always leave the thread if you don't find any value in it. Unlike the theater discussion, I doubt you will offend anyone by leaving. If this one thread is eating into your internet bandwidth, maybe you should look for another service provider.