Is Celebrity intentionally splitting up connecting cabins?

Canadian Cruiser98

We are currently booked in 2 adjacent (non-connecting) balcony cabins, trying to move to 2 connectors, and I did give the agent on the phone 2 specific cabin numbers. In fact, I tried twice with two pairs of cabins, and both times was told that the system would not let the agent book the cabins for 2 people each.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's really odd. It makes no sense that they wouldn't allow you to book whichever two vacant cabins that you want. I would call again and ask for connecting cabins. Different CSR sometimes means a different answer. If you still get a no, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Celebrity, like parent Royal, have taken to blocking reservations agents (on certain sailings) from booking a triple/quad room as a double. This "restriction" is set by their inventory management department. Usually asking to be escalated to "resolutions" (supervisor team) works, as they can often "unlock" a triple/quad for the reservations agents. Sometimes resolutions has to email inventory management to get a specific room released. Best bet - call between 9-5 EDT on a weekday as ALL departments are open and "in" ...... also calling Captains Club can often yield better results. I've spoken to a few REALLY good agents there lately who have been EXCELLENT at providing follow-up

We are currently booked in 2 adjacent (non-connecting) balcony cabins, trying to move to 2 connectors, and I did give the agent on the phone 2 specific cabin numbers. In fact, I tried twice with two pairs of cabins, and both times was told that the system would not let the agent book the cabins for 2 people each.

Good point. Perhaps our bookings were adjacent and not really connecting. I never paid any attention and did not realize that they had different options. The last time they were 3 cabins across the AFT on the Silhouette. We only open the balcony dividers.

So if we decide to book with our two kids we cannot get two connecting rooms? (We have two connecting in November on Reflection but our nanny is coming so one room had 3.) I don’t understand the rules.

X will not sell a room that sleeps 3-4 guests to someone who has a party of 2. There are staterooms that only hold 2 and they prefer you select one of those so they can sell the 3-4 person rooms to larger parties. Now, as sailing gets closer, they often open up the rooms to availability since they have not filled. It’s a business decision and it makes perfect sense.

After calling another time on the Captain's Club line and again being told no, we asked for a supervisor as advised and were finally able to switch to two connecting cabins (9272 and 9274). Thanks for everyone's help here!

Sweet! Sorry to hear of all the trouble to get there, though.. Happy cruising.

After calling another time on the Captain's Club line and again being told no, we asked for a supervisor as advised and were finally able to switch to two connecting cabins (9272 and 9274). Thanks for everyone's help here!

Congratulations. Enjoy your cruise.

X will not sell a room that sleeps 3-4 guests to someone who has a party of 2. There are staterooms that only hold 2 and they prefer you select one of those so they can sell the 3-4 person rooms to larger parties. Now, as sailing gets closer, they often open up the rooms to availability since they have not filled. It’s a business decision and it makes perfect sense.

Which is completely different from the OP’s issue where one wants to book connecting cabins because they want the connection. Most pax who have children travelling with them would want the connecting cabin for access reasons; what’s the point of offering connecting cabins but being unable to reserve them in situations such as this? We are not talking about a couple who want a particular cabin just for it’s location, this is because of the specific type of cabin that X have categorised for booking in these instances. Why bother offering connecting cabins and then not allow one to reserve them for that usage?

OP,

Glad you have finally got it sorted.

We are a family of 5 and need the connecting cabins(2 parents in 1, 3 children in the other) On the S class ships- connecting cabins they pull a vestibule door closed in the hallway to make them connecting and then key the outer door to work for both cabin keys. For the regular cabin door you either need to leave it ajar or have extra keys made at guest relations. Also you can have the balconies opened between cabins(both connecting or non connecting) and use that to go between cabins. We just got back from the Equinox and had 3 cabins in a row and opened the balconies among the 3 cabins. On this trip the third non-connecting cabin was grandparents.

On the Constellation(M class ship) our experience was the connecting door was in the middle of cabin- more like common hotel room configuration. If I were traveling with adult friends (2 in each cabin) on S-class ship, I wouldn’t be concerned with connecting cabins only adjacent cabins- get extra room keys and open the balconies.

Cabins that sleep 4 ( esp if not children as the additional 2) must feel really tight...one bathroom and not any more cabin space or storage.

Guess that's why some cruises may feel a bit crowded.

Reflection has the middle of the wall connection cabins, the other S-Class ships have the vestibule door.

For the family of 5, don't forget to look into the family cabins that sleep 5! Sometimes those are even available for a group of 4. :)

I wonder if they are trying to fill the cabins that sleep only 2, before they allow a booking for two guests in a cabin that sleeps 3 or 4. Try doing a dummy booking for 4 guests in one cabin and see if those other cabins open up. Then call Celebrity and tell them you would like connecting cabins.

This is what I was thinking too.

Year or so ago I had read someone saying to use the UK site to do a mock booking to look at rooms as they seem to show everything available and not just present some rooms ... and it was true. Not sure that is the case anymore as I seem to see same thing no matter where/how I search so just mentioning anyway. I tend to think that any chance the rooms presented is inaccurate and holding back, it might be due to number of guests.