Small ship & getting sea sick?

bandjwayne

I'm looking at taking a cruise out of Tampa next summer due to being there for a land vacation with family. It looks like the Carnival Paradise is docked there & I'm a little worried about going on a ship this small. I haven't been on a ship this small before. I did fine on a Bahama cruise on the Sensation, but did get quite sick on a Mexican Riviera on the Spirit. I also have done fine on Voyager & Independence of the Seas classes. The itinerary is Western Caribbean and I'd be going with my husband and sons (9&12). Thoughts anyone?

Ok so now I just realized that the Paradise is in the same Fantasy class as the Sensation which we previously sailed on in the Bahamas. So hopefully the cruise to Cozumel & Jamaica will be just as smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone else mentioned, I SWEAR by Sea Bands. It is a great almost instant cure for motion sickness of any kind without having to take medication or use patches. You simply put one on when you feel a little off. I have terrible motion sickness and these have worked for me on airplanes and boats for years! Under $10 at the local drug store.

Anyone that has an inkling of seasickness should consider something with them to help, you just never know what mother nature might throw at the ship and how bad she may be rocking.

It's the wind and the waves that matter, if those are big enough the largest ship will rock and roll. We sailed through the remnants of a nor'easter on Pride and the motion was similar to what I've felt on 10k ton vessels. I slept like a baby:).

I work in clinical research so I don't do opinions - only facts.

Fact: Bigger ships are more stable and help with seasickness. And I've experienced it personally.

Fact: Seabands have shown in clinical trials to help. I used them this last time and they did!

Personally, I get a script from my dr for phenegran and take dramamine from over the counter. I liked the Motion Ease oil behind my ear this time. I had so many remedies I can't say for sure what worked, but I have researched this to the nth degree and will stick with the combination that worked this time. Note: I did the patch in 2011 and it was wonderful. I did it in 2012 and had horrible side effects and after much research, I will not do it again.

Good luck!

Ship size doesnt have much to do with it. If the seas are rough enough to rock Paradise, they are gonna be rough enough to rock Horizon. I sailed out of Tampa on Carnival Holiday. Even smaller than Fantasy class. Lovely cruise. Summer is generally pretty calm in the Gulf.

It's the wind and the waves that matter, if those are big enough the largest ship will rock and roll. We sailed through the remnants of a nor'easter on Pride and the motion was similar to what I've felt on 10k ton vessels. I slept like a baby:).

I actually enjoy it too. Now that said, I dont wanna be caught in a hurricane on a cruise ship, but I dont mind moderate seas. The lido deck accessible 4Js on Magic are awesome because you CAN feel the motion a little more than other parts of the ship. I slept like a baby too :)

I always chuckled at those on the RC forum that say "we chose Oasis class so we wouldnt feel any motion or get seasick". Ummm, if its rough out there, even those behemoths will rock and roll.

I've looked into the seabands as well for our upcoming cruise. There appear to be two in a package. Do you wear one on each arm or is only one necessary?

They are awful ugly!!! But if it works when needed I guess I won't care if they class with my dress on formal night! ;)

Thanks,

I've looked into the seabands as well for our upcoming cruise. There appear to be two in a package. Do you wear one on each arm or is only one necessary?

They are awful ugly!!! But if it works when needed I guess I won't care if they class with my dress on formal night! ;)

Thanks,

Robin

I use them as I need them only. You don't have to wear them all the time, just carry them in your pocket (actually my hubby is nice and he carries them for me) and if you start feeling out of sorts you can slip one on. I usually wear one on my right wrist if I feel just a little off... but if it is really rocking and rolling then I will put on both (one on each wrist). With medication the problem is by the time you "feel sick" and take medicine sometimes it can't react quick enough to really help before you get physically sick. With the seabands, they will start working in just 10-15 minutes tops.

When we do snorkeling on excursions like Catamarans, I usually wear both the whole time.

Just an FYI. The first pairs I had were blue which really stuck out... then I found some pink ones that didn't stand out so bad as they were more "human" color lol!

Thanks,

YES. You must wear both. I've searched for the research on this and you need both - not just one. I wore both the entire time and met people who only wore one because they bought a package and shared it - and they also shared in being sick since they needed to be wearing both bands.

Robin

I use them as I need them only. You don't have to wear them all the time, just carry them in your pocket (actually my hubby is nice and he carries them for me) and if you start feeling out of sorts you can slip one on. I usually wear one on my right wrist if I feel just a little off... but if it is really rocking and rolling then I will put on both (one on each wrist). With medication the problem is by the time you "feel sick" and take medicine sometimes it can't react quick enough to really help before you get physically sick. With the seabands, they will start working in just 10-15 minutes tops.

When we do snorkeling on excursions like Catamarans, I usually wear both the whole time.

Just an FYI. The first pairs I had were blue which really stuck out... then I found some pink ones that didn't stand out so bad as they were more "human" color lol!

Thanks for the very useful tips!

The Mexican Riviera is choppier than the Caribbean. Pacific is the huge misnomer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's what I keep telling myself too. The only cruise I've been throw-up sick on his been the Mexican Riviera. The Caribbean cruises I've only had mild nausea.

YES. You must wear both. I've searched for the research on this and you need both - not just one. I wore both the entire time and met people who only wore one because they bought a package and shared it - and they also shared in being sick since they needed to be wearing both bands.

Not true. You do not have to wear both. I have been using and wearing these for over 5 years now and if there is just a little motion or I feel just a little off, one does the trick. As a matter of fact most times one is all I need to wear at all. I only wear both when it is really bad and rough seas (on the cruise ship)... and I also wear both when we do excursions that involve smaller boats like snorkeling from a Catamaran, etc. Small boats ALWAYS involve too much motion for me lol! ;p

And I am the kind of person (as I have said) that gets motion sick in the back seat of a car. Can't ride a bus unless I am in the front seat looking out the front window or I get sick, I can't even watch a movie in the movie theater that has too much "action" going on or it makes me nauseous. So I think I am a pretty good first-hand case study of what works and what doesn't.

Now, I wouldn't buy just one "set" with the expectation of sharing one each between two people.. otherwise you may end up finding it is rougher than expected and needing two and not having both.

Not true. You do not have to wear both. I have been using and wearing these for over 5 years now and if there is just a little motion or I feel just a little off, one does the trick. As a matter of fact most times one is all I need to wear at all. I only wear both when it is really bad and rough seas (on the cruise ship)... and I also wear both when we do excursions that involve smaller boats like snorkeling from a Catamaran, etc. Small boats ALWAYS involve too much motion for me lol! ;p

And I am the kind of person (as I have said) that gets motion sick in the back seat of a car. Can't ride a bus unless I am in the front seat looking out the front window or I get sick, I can't even watch a movie in the movie theater that has too much "action" going on or it makes me nauseous. So I think I am a pretty good first-hand case study of what works and what doesn't.

Now, I wouldn't buy just one "set" with the expectation of sharing one each between two people.. otherwise you may end up finding it is rougher than expected and needing two and not having both.

Sorry but everything I read says wear both (see instructions at their site: http://www.sea-band.com/why-seaband/) and I have with success. I can send you all the links I've found that say you need both. And I get motion sick in the front seat of the car. I've puked my guts out in many places because of motion sickness.

Edited by ricew001
add the link

Sorry but everything I read says wear both (see instructions at their site: http://www.sea-band.com/why-seaband/) and I have with success. I can send you all the links I've found that say you need both. And I get motion sick in the front seat of the car. I've puked my guts out in many places because of motion sickness.

OK, so you are going by what you have "read", I am going by what I have done numerous times over more than 5 years. I cruise like 3 times a year, fly (sometimes 10-14 hour flights), like 15 times or more a year, etc. etc. And, from years of first-hand experience, I know that one will work for you most of the time.

As I said, I would however not just by one set and expect it to work one for each of two people. Because there are times when I do need two myself.

I always wear a half patch behind one ear and it works like a charm for me. My last cruise (on the Magic) was the roughest I had been on. It worked well and then one day I was nauseous - I touched the back of my ear and the patch had fallen off. I applied a new one and it wasn't long before I was just fine. The only side affect I ever noticed with the patch is that my eyes are more dilated, but just be sure to wear your sunglasses and that is fine too. Good luck, whatever your choice! Happy Cruising!

I was on the Ecstasy in February out of Charleston. I’ve been on all size ships and this one being the smallest. As a precaution, I started Bonine the day before the cruise and took it each night. We rocked ALOT. I think if I didn’t take it I would have had sea sickness. We talked w several people who had issues w it. So my recommendation is to take Bonine. No drowsiness and u can still drink alcohol w it[emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums