Chip... chip... industrious RCl

I can understand frustrations but deposits and payment dates do not remove any value from your trip.?

Of course it decreases the value of your trip. If you choose a refundable deposit you pay more for your trip and if there is any OBC included that is decreased. So you lose value in two ways.

Well, we just talking semantics anyhow. D+ used to have two lounges, now they have one on ships with a Suite Lounge. Whether they were "kicked out" or the CL was eliminated doesn't really matter, the point is that they lost some space and some dining options (Oasis and Allure).

Before my time (Diamond). Oasis underwent drydock in 2014 and Allure 2015. I assume they were converted at about this time to SL/CK.

Where was the Dinning option you mention, the Viking Crown or Diamond Lounge? The Viking Crown became the SL/CK.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Before my time (Diamond). Oasis underwent drydock in 2014 and Allure 2015. I assume they were converted at about this time to SL/CK.

Where was the Dinning option you mention, the Viking Crown or Diamond Lounge? The Viking Crown became the SL/CK.

Diamond Plus guests used to get made-to-order breakfast and lunch (plus wine & beer) in the Concierge Lounge on Oasis and Allure.

"What we found is that, if you spend $100 before you sail, that's spent and gone. You don't even put it in your budget for when you're on vacation," Bayley said. "So every pre-cruise revenue dollar that we generate will often generate 50% more on-board revenue for that customer."

I think in a way, the result of the Nickel and Dime strategy has allowed us to cruise more often. Royal lowers their cruise rates to just get people on the ship and then try to sell sell sell. For us, we have no problem saying no and we are saving our on board credits to pay the gratuities. So while the constant up-selling is annoying, as long as we keep saying no to keep our own costs down, I'm fine with it.

But along those lines, I'm thinking of purchasing a BoGo dining offer for my November cruise on Anthem. We are getting one dining experience from our TA, but adding a couple more will let us try most of the venues that sound interesting to us. Keeping the rates cheap to book the cruise allows us to spend on items we want and avoid those we dislike.

Well, we just talking semantics anyhow. D+ used to have two lounges, now they have one on ships with a Suite Lounge. Whether they were "kicked out" or the CL was eliminated doesn't really matter, the point is that they lost some space and some dining options (Oasis and Allure).

There are many + who use both the Sl and DC so all those have 2 lounges and don't feel like we have lost anything

What qualifies as "medium" these days ?

I'd say Millennium or Radiance class:)

"Medium" yeah good question. 25-30 years ago Sovereign(Majesty) as built was Largest cruise ship in world as built, called "Mega" size and had no Balconies... But agree, don't think Royal will build ship smaller then Freedom, defiantly will be larger then Voyager

Though back to OP topic. First time made Diamond 20+ years ago, that was top level. Maybe as many as 10 Diamonds at most and couple nites before dinner was private cocktails in the Crown Lounge with Captain, Doctor, Chief Engineer and Cruise Director Even though was in a Ocean View as a "Diamond" member was able sit in Main Dining on departure day with Suite guests. Was actually second person off ship and 10th another time, this all before early self departure...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Did that perk go away at the same time as SL/CK was created? Wasn’t the CL above or part of current Diamond Club?

Yes, when the Suite Lounge was created, and they changed the CL to the DL, that perk was discontinued in the DL.

You're surprised that one of the most busy months of the year that's almost sold out a year early has high rates?[/quote

The rates for a week in Europe are higher on average than in the Caribbean. Pricing September and a week in an ocean view in the Med can be almost twice what a week in the Caribbean is. But as you say, if they can fill it at these rates they sure won't drop them. Frustrating though when,as in our case, we can't book years ahead to get the cheaper rates because of work leave restraints

You're surprised that one of the most busy months of the year that's almost sold out a year early has high rates?[/quote

The rates for a week in Europe are higher on average than in the Caribbean. Pricing September and a week in an ocean view in the Med can be almost twice what a week in the Caribbean is. But as you say, if they can fill it at these rates they sure won't drop them. Frustrating though when,as in our case, we can't book years ahead to get the cheaper rates because of work leave restraints

We have found prices for Suites are less in Europe than for the Caribbean but end up being more expensive with Airfare. Our airfare is nearly or more than our Suite.

Of course it decreases the value of your trip. If you choose a refundable deposit you pay more for your trip and if there is any OBC included that is decreased. So you lose value in two ways.

We must be the only one who converts to a non-refundable just before final payment, thus giving us the best of both worlds.

:(

As of lately --

Chip - cancellation policy

Chip - shorter final payment

Chip - raising gratuities rates twice in the last 2 years

Chip - free room service

Chip - free 24 hrs internet for D and above - ok... still pending....

Chip - introducing non refundable deposit

Chip - introducing non refundable deposit only bookings for Suites [doesn't apply to me, but out of solidarity :D]

Chip - the rates of refundable deposit skyrocketing [very applies to me]

Chip - balcony discount from Platinum above - ok... practically nonexistent

Chip - robes in every cabin, without asking

Chip - food quality

Chip - food variety

Chip - service quality

On the top of my head --

Pls. feel free to add... and I apologize for my faulty command of the English language

Yet you continue to cruise with them. :confused:

We book 18 months ahead, and personally it's hard to determine future value of a Royal Caribbean cruise when they keep chipping away.

They're really interested in the first time cruisers, because they don't miss what they've never had.

Is Bayley also CEO of Celebrity or just Royal Caribbean?

Is that $64K per person or $64K for the room?

They can probably sleep 8 people comfortably, and I counted things like sofa beds, pullmans, etc up to 12. Didn't see how they could sleep the final two though.

My daughter checked on this, and this was about the cost for a family of 4 for this suite for a 7 day cruise - Yikes!!

We book 18 months ahead, and personally it's hard to determine future value of a Royal Caribbean cruise when they keep chipping away.

They're really interested in the first time cruisers, because they don't miss what they've never had.

Is Bayley also CEO of Celebrity or just Royal Caribbean?

Just Royal. He was previously CEO of Celebrity. I think he is hoping to replace Richard Fain as Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD, the parent company of RCCL and Celebrity.

From a Stockholders point of view, he had done quite well.

Do you get extra OBC when you convert?

Whatever the sale is. And so far, we are batting 1000 from the old OBC to the new booking.

The only "issue" is the higher deposit.

Another benefit is that more often GS prices are more reasonable, so we can pay for an upgrade at a rate that is close to the original JS that we booked.

Or we also have seen that the refundable GS's are so cheap that it's worth taking the $100 risk.

We must be the only one who converts to a non-refundable just before final payment, thus giving us the best of both worlds.

I sort of did the same thing, while looking I originally was booked under the refundable. As I got closer, able to more determine airfare costs, etc and verify time off from work we switched to the non-refundable fare. Actually was able to then move from an inside cabin to a boardwalk balcony, got more OBC and came out less than we originally booked the inside cabin for.

My daughter checked on this, and this was about the cost for a family of 4 for this suite for a 7 day cruise - Yikes!!

Are we still talking about the Ultimate Family Suite on the Symphony w/ the lego wall, air hockey and the slide?

It's supposed to hold up to 14, but personally I couldn't find where they planned to sleep the last couple of passengers. They have four bedrooms, then I guess they start using out pullmans, sofabeds, etc.

I did. Isn't Celebrity a part of Royal Caribbean?

Sorta. Royal Caribbean Cruise LTD is the mother company.

Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity fall under Royal Caribbean Cruise LTD, Richard Fain Chairman and CEO.

MB was at Celebrity and improved their numbers and now doing the same at RCI.