Check in time question

Loveacruise1986

I live 200 miles from Southampton. How much contingency should I build in so as to arrive 1 hour before my embarkation time, taking into account my journey will involve the A34 and M3 ?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Yes , so do I. We allow 4.5 hours and if we're really early, we stop for a coffee.

Quite a few P&O cruises sail dates are a Saturday. We wouldn't entertain driving down to Southampton on a Friday it would be horrendous. Prefer a 7am start on the Saturday, a 2 hour wait in the holding pen at the port is preferable to being sat stationary in a car on the M6 for hours.

We have been lucky that our last 2 cruises have left on a Sunday which makes a fairly easy drive down. We still aim to arrive far too early but park up in Mayflower Park and go for a stroll around the waterfront. If it rains we wander over to John Lewis for a coffee and cake!

The last time we took a coach ( December 2016 ) it was held up because of a vehicle fire on the A34 and when we got to the port after 6pm all but 2 of the check in desks had closed and we were rushed through check-in and security. We were asked our cabin number as we boarded and were told the muster station that we had to directly to. I am sure that had we been in our car and not on a coach we would have missed the ship because they

would not wait for 2 of us but they would wait for a coach especially as it was their Intercruises coach. We learned later that 6 passengers had missed the ship, 4 of them met the ship in Madeira.

Exactly. They will hold for the coaches but not for individual cars.

Also the Scottish coaches leave at 3 am from Glasgow so they are not practical for many who would also have a journey to the pick up in the first place.

It amazes me how people are so free with smug comments when they dont actually have to face the challenges they are talking about.

Exactly. They will hold for the coaches but not for individual cars.

Also the Scottish coaches leave at 3 am from Glasgow so they are not practical for many who would also have a journey to the pick up in the first place.

It amazes me how people are so free with smug comments when they dont actually have to face the challenges they are talking about.

Yes, you do wonder if these people have ever driven more than 20 miles, Given some of their comments.

Boarding times really do seem to cause debate. To my mind it might be better if P&O scrapped them all together. Letting Suite and higher tier customers on first seems fair enough (no I don't qualify) but let the rest sort out itself. Yes, there may well be chaos early on but those arriving early should not be surprised or complain as everyone would have the same entitlement to be there at their chosen time. So many people currently arrive way ahead of their allocated time anyway but perhaps there wouldn't be that much difference. The folk who would "gain" are those who currently follow the P&O request (sheep?) because they are not aware that others don't. I wonder when the queues would start?

Where we used to live the coaches picked up nowhere near us ,so forget what a pick up time may be, our option was to drive or be driven. In the end we paid out to be driven as OH had health issues driving that distance. We either came down the A34 or the motorway. We would inform driver of our preferred arrival time, he would give us a pick up time..and I can only guess that in our 20 or so cruises coming from the bucks area we must have been very very lucky as any time of year we have not had any major holdups at all.

I have known them delay sailing in the winter when there were problems on the a34, and coaches and cars were held up. Agreed if its just one car no they would not wait ,but this was lots of cars and coaches so they waited. I think it was a few years ago (less than 5)

People have said on here don't arrive so and so time as that is when the coaches arrive..so I can only assume that the coaches do arrive then..

Yes let us have open boarding. Ofcourse it will work even better after 2022 when you have the massive and slightly massive ships. 2000-3000 people all turning up round about the same time. This is how it used to be.(They used to say half the passengers would arrive between 12 to 1pm, so 1000 for the like of Aurora) When we started cruising people said turn up at 12 you will get on..so we arrived about 12, queued for everything before we even got on board..go to the buffet, with hand luggage..as well as everyone elses hand luggage in there...2 people on a 4 top table with all of their luggage around them...I remember those days very well.

This is why before Brittannia came on line they tried to bring about some order. but hey lets not..lots more pix on social media of crowded terminals. talk of chaos..

Boarding times really do seem to cause debate. To my mind it might be better if P&O scrapped them all together. Letting Suite and higher tier customers on first seems fair enough (no I don't qualify) but let the rest sort out itself. Yes, there may well be chaos early on but those arriving early should not be surprised or complain as everyone would have the same entitlement to be there at their chosen time. So many people currently arrive way ahead of their allocated time anyway but perhaps there wouldn't be that much difference. The folk who would "gain" are those who currently follow the P&O request (sheep?) because they are not aware that others don't. I wonder when the queues would start?

Or get some one in charge to go over to RCI and Celebrity and see how they do it which is much more quickly and efficiently for everyone.

I really dislike the current P&O system but do follow it in spite of this and I certainly don’t consider myself to be a “sheep”, just someone who follows the rules. I am well aware that others don’t.

If they do away with the current system and go back to a free for all without addressing the fundamental issue, that their check in is slow and old fashioned, then it will probably just result in very long queues and annoyed passengers.

Get people to complete most of the information in advance on line, including card details and have a fast pass then all that needs confirmed is the passport. Cards issued and you are onboard in minutes. Other lines manage to do this.

Or get some one in charge to go over to RCI and Celebrity and see how they do it which is much more quickly and efficiently for everyone.

I really dislike the current P&O system but do follow it in spite of this and I certainly don’t consider myself to be a “sheep”, just someone who follows the rules. I am well aware that others don’t.

If they do away with the current system and go back to a free for all without addressing the fundamental issue, that their check in is slow and old fashioned, then it will probably just result in very long queues and annoyed passengers.

Get people to complete most of the information in advance on line, including card details and have a fast pass then all that needs confirmed is the passport. Cards issued and you are onboard in minutes. Other lines manage to do this.

Kind of agree with you...I know it's a daft question but have you ever contacted pando about this. Saying you cruise with other lines who do this this and this.is there any reason why they have not gone down that path. Occasionally I have emailed them about ad hoc things and have received a reply back.

Where we used to live the coaches picked up nowhere near us ,so forget what a pick up time may be, our option was to drive or be driven. In the end we paid out to be driven as OH had health issues driving that distance. We either came down the A34 or the motorway. We would inform driver of our preferred arrival time, he would give us a pick up time..and I can only guess that in our 20 or so cruises coming from the bucks area we must have been very very lucky as any time of year we have not had any major holdups at all.

I have known them delay sailing in the winter when there were problems on the a34, and coaches and cars were held up. Agreed if its just one car no they would not wait ,but this was lots of cars and coaches so they waited. I think it was a few years ago (less than 5)

People have said on here don't arrive so and so time as that is when the coaches arrive..so I can only assume that the coaches do arrive then..

Yes let us have open boarding. Ofcourse it will work even better after 2022 when you have the massive and slightly massive ships. 2000-3000 people all turning up round about the same time. This is how it used to be.(They used to say half the passengers would arrive between 12 to 1pm, so 1000 for the like of Aurora) When we started cruising people said turn up at 12 you will get on..so we arrived about 12, queued for everything before we even got on board..go to the buffet, with hand luggage..as well as everyone elses hand luggage in there...2 people on a 4 top table with all of their luggage around them...I remember those days very well.

This is why before Brittannia came on line they tried to bring about some order. but hey lets not..lots more pix on social media of crowded terminals. talk of chaos..

We go back further than you then as on our first cruises embarkation did not start until 14.00. Still people would turn up at 12.00 and wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've booked a saver fare with a guaranteed cabin on Britannia so I'm expecting a late check in time (3pm) for our cruise in June. If folk want to pay the select fare and choose their cabin/dining options up front they should also be given the privilege of getting on the ship before steerage customers like me.:D

No axe to grind on this at all.

I've booked a saver fare with a guaranteed cabin on Britannia so I'm expecting a late check in time (3pm) for our cruise in June. If folk want to pay the select fare and choose their cabin/dining options up front they should also be given the privilege of getting on the ship before steerage customers like me.:D

No axe to grind on this at all.

Having a saver fare doesnt necessarily mean you will have a late check in. Because check in is done by decks it will depend on which deck your cabin is located.

Kind of agree with you...I know it's a daft question but have you ever contacted pando about this. Saying you cruise with other lines who do this this and this.is there any reason why they have not gone down that path. Occasionally I have emailed them about ad hoc things and have received a reply back.

Yes I did so after turning up for my late embarkation time dutifully at the time I was allocated and then being made to wait for ages. Bland reply back, they are always striving to improve customer experience blah blah blah but nothing specific.

When I was "upgraded" to a better cabin (not in my opinion) the checkin time on my e-ticket was 14.30. Persuaded them that I did not want an upgrade and have returned to our lowly bottom of the grades cabin. Now have a check in time of 1330. Definitely done by deck.

Quite agree. There is no reason at all why P&O shouldn't be able to match other lines. My tongue in cheek "suggestion" was to reflect that so many folk ignore their allocate time (for whatever reason) why should anyone else worry about it?

Quite agree. There is no reason at all why P&O shouldn't be able to match other lines. My tongue in cheek "suggestion" was to reflect that so many folk ignore their allocate time (for whatever reason) why should anyone else worry about it?

Absolutely 😀

They should worry if they get stuck in a long queue behind these queue jumpers. Certainly can be a problem with car parking.

However since boarding has settled down I am not seeing many posts about people having to wait a long time to board. Now if everyone just came along as they thought fit it would go to chaos. That is why t is a concern for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't comment on RCI but Celebrity is a far slicker (and earlier) operation than P&O, who have always seemed to have had embarkation problems. As you say get as much info as possible collected upfront speeds up the process. No-one has ever provided a reason why Celebrity can do this and P&O can't (or won't).