Chargers

bowen9475

I get that. I just can't find an extension cord or power bar that isn't surge protected. Looking to see what others have used.
They're just the plain cheapo power strips that you can find at Walmart or just about anywhere. Probably even dollar stores. Like this...

cq5dam.web.372.372.jpeg

Or just about any regular extension cord out there. The packaging (or description online) will say whether or not it's surge protected, so just avoid the ones that are. If you decide to go with an extension cord, I recommend a longer one (at least 6-8 ft.) if you think you'll want to plug something in and move it around. We use a long cord to put my portable fan by the bed and my wife uses it to stretch into the bathroom for her curling iron. We also take a 3-way outlet adapter. We prefer that over a power strip. Power strips and extension cords have to be new or in like new condition.

They're just the plain cheapo power strips that you can find at Walmart or just about anywhere. Probably even dollar stores. Like this...

cq5dam.web.372.372.jpeg

Or just about any regular extension cord out there. The packaging (or description online) will say whether or not it's surge protected, so just avoid the ones that are. If you decide to go with an extension cord, I recommend a longer one (at least 6-8 ft.) if you think you'll want to plug something in and move it around. We use a long cord to put my portable fan by the bed and my wife uses it to stretch into the bathroom for her curling iron. We also take a 3-way outlet adapter. We prefer that over a power strip. Power strips and extension cords have to be new or in like new condition.

This has a surge protector. No go.

The easiest way to ensure that your per strip had no surge protection is to purchase a two prong power strip. No third prong assures there is no surge protection.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

The packaging (or description online) will say whether or not it's surge protected, so just avoid the ones that are.
This forum is rife with threads with examples of online advertisements and offers for power strips that are simply wrong. I think it was as recently as last month there was an offer on Amazon that said explicitly that the power strip was not surge protected but a very quick review of the manufacturer's website showed the opposite.

There really no way to know from the photograph

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I haven't seen a surge protector that doesn't have a LED or lighted power switch on the front, there is always something to indicate to the consumer the protection is active. A regular power strip won't have that.

It will also have the voltage protections specs imprinted on the back of the case where you will find the UL stamp and such.

The easiest way to ensure that your per strip had no surge protection is to purchase a two prong power strip. No third prong assures there is no surge protection.

The presence of a ground does not indicate surge protection. If it did, then we wouldn't require surge protectors for all of our electronics at home (which all have grounded plugs).

I haven't seen a surge protector that doesn't have a LED or lighted power switch on the front, there is always something to indicate to the consumer the protection is active. A regular power strip won't have that.

It will also have the voltage protections specs imprinted on the back of the case where you will find the UL stamp and such.

I happen to own a non-surge-protected power strip that has a light on the front (similar to one pictured in an earlier post). This simply indicates that it is getting power.

This has a surge protector. No go.
Please tell us what makes you think that is surge protected.

I pulled that image from Google. It is of a Belkin 6-outlet power strip. Non-surge protected, as indicated by the information on the Belkin website where the image originates from.

In contrast, here is a SURGE PROTECTED Belkin 6-outlet power strip. Take notice of the green light that says "Protected."

61w5cAy2RWL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Organized Chaos

I get that. I just can't find an extension cord or power bar that isn't surge protected. Looking to see what others have used.

Look on the bottom of the power strip (reverse side of the outlets). If it has a surge protector, the strip will either be embossed with that information or have a sticker indicating that it is surge protected. All power strips (like the one in the photo) have three-pronged outlets. I have never seen a power strip with two-pronged outlets. At least not in the last 45 - 50 years. Cord lengths vary, anywhere from 2 ft. to 10 ft. The most common sizes are 3 ft. and 6 ft. Some may have a lighted switch, and some may not. Just because the switch is lighted does not automatically mean it has a surge protector. Common household extension cords are not surge protected.

This forum is rife with threads with examples of online advertisements and offers for power strips that are simply wrong. I think it was as recently as last month there was an offer on Amazon that said explicitly that the power strip was not surge protected but a very quick review of the manufacturer's website showed the opposite.

There really no way to know from the photograph

The OP was looking for examples of a non-surge protected power strip, so I showed them an image of one. And yes, the photo I used was of a non-surge protected power strip. Following through to the link of that photo in Google Images takes me straight to the Belkin site where it's being sold. NO surge protection. I also advised them to read the packaging or online descriptions, which will indicate surge protection. There is almost always, if not always, some sort of indication on the device to identify it as being a surge protector. If there's any doubt, it's up to each cruiser, in this case, to be sure.

Also, please direct us to a power strip that is currently for sale without a grounded plug.

I just ordered this << link

I'm hoping to take advantage of the European outlet that I've never used, leaving the regular US outlet for other stuff.

Edited by sft429
clarification

I also advised them to read the packaging or online descriptions, which will indicate surge protection. There is almost always, if not always, some sort of indication on the device to identify it as being a surge protector. If there's any doubt, it's up to each cruiser, in this case, to be sure.
My point was that you cannot rely on online descriptions. They've been proven to be wrong too often. It seems that the online sellers, especially resellers, have a vested interest in prevaricating. The example I referred to went as far as to say, "Allowed on cruise ships," or something like that, even though it was not.

And to be fair, if there's any doubt, it's up to the cruise line staff, not the cruiser. That's why the more we do to make absolutely sure we can proove that our device is permitted the less likely our trip will hit a snag.

Also, please direct us to a power strip that is currently for sale without a grounded plug.

15022182?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg

https://www.target.com/p/woods-coleman-3-outlet-cord-with-cord-wrap/-/A-15022182?sid=2056S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Home+Improvement+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Home+Improvement&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=t&location=9010754&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkpfWBRDZARIsAAfeXarJSkGL3tH6pCNMDUGtVI2aVzyp_M3rBomULUUL2FQN6zRFa8xhd-EaAp2uEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds