Does Veendam have America’s Test Kitchen?

Yes, Veendam’s ATK takes place in the theatre.

The hands on class no longer includes lunch in the PG.

The price is now $39.00 and you receive an apron

Thanks 1ANGELCAT. I assume you still have to go to the front desk pronto the first day to sign up.

I’m just as glad to skip the late Pinnacle lunch part. I always still felt stuffed and not hungry by regular dinner time.

Thanks 1ANGELCAT. I assume you still have to go to the front desk pronto the first day to sign up.

I’m just as glad to skip the late Pinnacle lunch part. I always still felt stuffed and not hungry by regular dinner time.

You are welcome. Yes,I would sign up ASAP. Just an FYI, the 2 times I did the class on Veendam were on port days at around 1:00 in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Veendam did have America's Test Kitchen on our Cuba itinerary last month....interesting sessions, though I didn't attend. I have enjoyed the small cooking classes in the past on other ships, and did enjoy the Pinnacle Grill lunch...sorry it has been eliminated.

Karen

The Veendam did have America's Test Kitchen on our Cuba itinerary last month....interesting sessions, though I didn't attend. I have enjoyed the small cooking classes in the past on other ships, and did enjoy the Pinnacle Grill lunch...sorry it has been eliminated.

Karen

Is "America's test Kitchen" the same thing as the "Food & Wine" Cooking demos that I saw on Zuiderdam last summer? They were so fun with the Cruise Director & Head Chef participating.

Is "America's test Kitchen" the same thing as the "Food & Wine" Cooking demos that I saw on Zuiderdam last summer? They were so fun with the Cruise Director & Head Chef participating.

Not quite. The ATK chef does the demos now. There is no interaction with any other crew member (that I know of). The demos last about the same time but also include videos with the ATK personalities.

No, they are different. Think of ATK as cooking for dummies who think using a bay leaf is being exotic.

The old format of the head chef and another member of the crew demonstrating how certain dishes served in the MDR are made, providing the recipes, and a sample to taste are no longer offered.

Not quite. The ATK chef does the demos now. There is no interaction with any other crew member (that I know of). The demos last about the same time but also include videos with the ATK personalities.

I went to a couple of the demos on Zaandam last month. The presenter (Maria) was really good. However, it got old real fast. It wasn’t that different than watching ATK on tv, which I can do anytime. And do.

I’m on vacation and want something different. Like one of the Hal staff.

No, they are different. Think of ATK as cooking for dummies who think using a bay leaf is being exotic.

The old format of the head chef and another member of the crew demonstrating how certain dishes served in the MDR are made, providing the recipes, and a sample to taste are no longer offered.

What a pity - I thought as much. I went to a cooking demo about chiles on Prinsendam in October, & when I asked her about New Mexican green chiles, she didn't have a clue.......

We were on the Zuiderdam in January and on the Rotterdam in March. The presentations were exactly the same.

At least with the HAL Chef and staff doing the demonstrations, they would pick what they wanted to present and it would not be the same from ship to ship.

We were on the Zuiderdam in January and on the Rotterdam in March. The presentations were exactly the same.

At least with the HAL Chef and staff doing the demonstrations, they would pick what they wanted to present and it would not be the same from ship to ship.

We actually stopped going to the Culinary Arts demos as they were the same on all ships.

Didn't take advantage of our 5 star status to do a free cooking class as it seemed to be on a port day on the ships we were on.

I believe the cooking classes were moved to port days (from sea days) because of the loss of the venue for so many hours due to prep, actual class, and then clean up. It made it too difficult to schedule other activities in the Queen's Lounge/Wajang Theatre. At least, that was what I was told some time ago by the CAC Hostess (when they had them).

I’m 5 star. We actually did get to make the pasta and had ship kitchen prepared samples.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please don't take offense, this is really just a question,

What does being 5 star have to do with getting to actually make the pasta and to sample food?

We actually stopped going to the Culinary Arts demos as they were the same on all ships.

Didn't take advantage of our 5 star status to do a free cooking class as it seemed to be on a port day on the ships we were on.

Is the class only for the 5 star mariners? One of the perks?

Please don't take offense, this is really just a question,

What does being 5 star have to do with getting to actually make the pasta and to sample food?

No offense, it’s just that you do actually participate and not just watch a demo.

Also, it’s free for 5 star. I would not pay for the class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Prinsendam in December the 5 stars were invited to a "special" class - I put that in quotes as there was nothing special about watching someone prepare basic pasta and watching several video clips. They sent free aprons to our cabin the night before so I expected something special. I was just a passive viewer - there were no samples. We were told they weren't allowed ...

The demo was really basic cooking. Nothing special at all. I feel that America's Test Kitchen is a slick, commercial organization and that what they offer is a real downgrade compared to HAL's old culinary arts program.

When I was in high school we were taught to listen for words that are "loaded" - that may represent bias or opinion rather than fact. America's Test Kitchen is full of the "world's best" this and that. First of all taste is subjective so how can they make that claim? Secondly in watching their videos on my cabin TV they rank commercial products in what they try to portray as a scientific manner and declare the world's best - they show labels - are the labels paying for the ratings?

They never qualify their recipes or judgements as being the best in their opinion, which is what they really mean - they just declare everything as the best. Again, subjective topic, but supposedly definitive one size fits all conclusion.

Simplistic presentations and conclusions - not for thinkers but for followers.

HAL, IMHO made a mistake with ATK. Big amenity downgrade.

Totally agree it is basic cooking!

Very dry presentations, missing the entertaining banter back and forth of the chefs in the old HAL cooking classes.

Had to laugh on one cruise last year when the presenter showed how to keep a bowl from sliding around the counter while you were stirring. Elaborate twisting of a tea towel and then securing around the base of the bowl. Really?? They lost me after that class.

I think this is another HAL flop ( along with Oprah and crows nest). When the demographic is older and have survived their own cooking skills why offer boring basic stuff. We already know how to boil water!

I was just a passive viewer - there were no samples. We were told they weren't allowed ...

The demo was really basic cooking. Nothing special at all. I feel that America's Test Kitchen is a slick, commercial organization and that what they offer is a real downgrade compared to HAL's old culinary arts program.

When I was in high school we were taught to listen for words that are "loaded" - that may represent bias or opinion rather than fact. America's Test Kitchen is full of the "world's best" this and that. First of all taste is subjective so how can they make that claim? Secondly in watching their videos on my cabin TV they rank commercial products in what they try to portray as a scientific manner and declare the world's best - they show labels - are the labels paying for the ratings?

They never qualify their recipes or judgements as being the best in their opinion, which is what they really mean - they just declare everything as the best. Again, subjective topic, but supposedly definitive one size fits all conclusion.

Simplistic presentations and conclusions - not for thinkers but for followers.

HAL, IMHO made a mistake with ATK. Big amenity downgrade.

Bolding mine. Totally agree.

Being they throw out the food prepared in the demos, (at least they do in for the group demos because they cannot keep safe temperatures in the wajang), why not let the participants join in? Or in the hands on class, do you eat what the leader makes?

HAL is missing out on a chance to bolster their location based programming by including local cuisine in the cooking demos.

Another point. A British lady commented to me about how/ why was a cooking class such a draw? Why would people want to watch someone cook? Maybe it was her, but is the fascination we have with cooking more of an American thing? And does America’s Test Kitchen have international interest? Just wondering aloud...

Thanks, everyone. I think I’ll save my money and skip the hands-on class. I’ve never seen ATK on TV and knew nothing about it other than the name. I certainly don’t need basic instruction.

It’s a shame the old culinary classes were replaced. I took a couple of the hands-on classes some years back that were lots of fun. Enjoyed the chefs, their recipes and prep suggestions. (Only had one where the chef seemed to be in a bad mood and annoyed to be stuck doing the class.) Then came the “lifestyle” hostesses who made silly interview conversation with the chefs but really just got in the way at the hands-on and group cooking demo programs. I guess that was the first clue that the culinary program was doomed.

Edited by Caribbean Chris