Self debark Miami?

We just got off Glory. We chose self debark and had faster to Fun. Everything went smoothly until we reached the escalator. There was a employee not letting people carry thier luggage down the esaclator. You had to have 2 hands free to hold onto the rails? We had all our luggage because it was Self debark thus no one could go except the people who yelled at her and went anyway. We had to wait for the 1 elevator. Other people who cruise often commented they had never heard of this before and it slowed down the process, Glad we were faster to Fun. Also wondering if it would be nice to stay in the room until 8:3:0 and take your time lieaving. We were at the airport gate by 8:30 and had a 4 hour wait there for the plane. Would have been nice to sleep in and not rush. Would we have been better off waiting?

... no one could go except the people who yelled at her and went anyway.

That's your answer. You could have yelled at her and gone anyway too!

I carry luggage up and down escalators at airports and subway stations every week. Never has anyone told me I must use two hands to hold on the rail. Not since elementary school has anyone spoken to me like that.

The Carnival employee deserved to be ignored.

There were no escalators at Long Beach when we cruised 2 weeks ago.

There was a series of long ramps which were easy to use.

I would have just gone past that employee as we also use escalators all the time with our carry on luggage at airports!!

I have done priority self assist many times from Miami and always walk my one piece of 21" luggage off the ship and down the escalator to Customs. Never been hassled. Sometimes I saw someone either struggling with their luggage or with too many bags to safely go down the escalator get re-directed to the elevator.

I usually booked a 10AM or 10:30 flight back home and always had plenty of time to spare. Once I changed my flight to an 8:30AM departure. The Miami terminal is usually deserted at that time, since the majority of cruisers take afternoon flights. By 10am it starts to become a zoo.

So don't wait on board the ship, book an earlier flight if you can!

Personally I would never risk an earlier flight. I have had way too many cruises either delayed by customs or medical situations.

But instead, yes, stay on the ship. We vacate at 830 and go to MDR for breakfast just stowing our luggage in the corner. It’s 930 before we are done. We can either walk off at that point or relax and read and be one of the last off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes I saw someone either struggling with their luggage or with too many bags to safely go down the escalator get re-directed to the elevator.

Right, how many suitcases does one person bring on a cruise? If you have more suitcases than hands to carry them, an escalator would be a bad move. But one suitcase of any size is OK for an adult to manage on an escalator. I've never needed more than one suitcase per person for a cruise, anyway.

That's your answer. You could have yelled at her and gone anyway too!

I carry luggage up and down escalators at airports and subway stations every week. Never has anyone told me I must use two hands to hold on the rail. Not since elementary school has anyone spoken to me like that.

The Carnival employee deserved to be ignored.

They are employed by the port authority and NOT the cruise lines.

We just got off Glory. We chose self debark and had faster to Fun. Everything went smoothly until we reached the escalator. There was a employee not letting people carry thier luggage down the esaclator. You had to have 2 hands free to hold onto the rails? We had all our luggage because it was Self debark thus no one could go except the people who yelled at her and went anyway. We had to wait for the 1 elevator. Other people who cruise often commented they had never heard of this before and it slowed down the process, Glad we were faster to Fun. Also wondering if it would be nice to stay in the room until 8:3:0 and take your time lieaving. We were at the airport gate by 8:30 and had a 4 hour wait there for the plane. Would have been nice to sleep in and not rush. Would we have been better off waiting?

When we have later flights, we go to the main dining room for an early breakfast, leaving our belongings in the cabin. We retrieve everything at 8:30, then hang out by Lido pool, for our last chance of warmth and sunshine, or in the Lido buffet area. We leave when we have approx. three hours before our flight, accounting for travel time, security line, etc.

Note: this does change depending on home port and distance to airport.

Self Debark should be called "comedy show" sometimes. I can't count the number of people who I have witnessed, struggling with their luggage off a ship let alone trying to get it on escalators etc. What are they thinking? Someone might steal their dirty underwear? A normal cruise, I have one big bag, and on European trips, 2 bags. They get checked at the airport. They get checked going on the ship. They get checked off the ship. They get checked going home. My credit card has luggage insurance on it. I carry nothing that I can't replace. I never rush off a ship. Plus I never want to lug my suitcases around when the ships crew, and the port crew is very capable of handling it for me.

We had the same thing happen in Tampa a month ago. Have done many cruises and never had this happen before. Usually we do not do self assist because my parents are too old to do this, but tampa was a nightmare and we had a noon flight. My husband was doing 2 bags and was stopped at the escalator and told no must have one hand to go down, he started arguing and then security came over.

They would not let him do this so I had to give my mom my bag and take one of my husbands bags. He has taken 2 bags before with no problem.

Was right there with you in the "no escalator" mess on Saturday. Even if you had a hand free, the lady was not letting you carry large bags down. I could easily pick my large bag up and hand carry it in one hand down the escalator while holding the rail, and yet I had to wait for an elevator. We were FTF too and were probably right there grumbling with you. First time I have ever seen it. Felt bad for anyone much further back in line. We were still off and into the car by 7:50 am since the customs line was basically non-existent with everyone bottle necked for two elevators.

The funny thing was I first thought this thread was going to be about how the Glory departed from one terminal and came back at a second terminal. Made for a fun little walk across to the garage with bags in tow. I guessed that it was due to the Vista running an eight day itinerary and having first pick on the return terminal. I probably would of parked in the nearest lot to the debarking terminal if I knew we would be getting off at a different place than we got on. LOL!

We had the same thing happen in Tampa a month ago. Have done many cruises and never had this happen before. Usually we do not do self assist because my parents are too old to do this, but tampa was a nightmare and we had a noon flight. My husband was doing 2 bags and was stopped at the escalator and told no must have one hand to go down, he started arguing and then security came over.

They would not let him do this so I had to give my mom my bag and take one of my husbands bags. He has taken 2 bags before with no problem.

In Canaveral before they built the new Royal terminal that has just ramps to exit you did have to exit using the escalator. We were always required to have one hand free to hold the railing or we weren’t allowed to use the escalator.

On one of our last cruises in the old terminal saw a man who had two big suitcases trying to go down the escalator. He was told multiple times he would have to use the elevator.

So what did he do???? He literally threw both of his suitcases down to the bottom of the escalator and laughed as he rode down holding the railing!!! We saw him a few minutes later with several security people. He wasn’t laughing so much then!!!