Guarantee Room Issue

When my grandkids visit, one gets a cot, the other a blow up camping bed. They never seemed to mind. What's the big deal over a sleeper couch and or cot?

Seriously? If you have nothing positive to contribute to the discussion or to answer the question, why go out of your way to respond with something completely irrelevant? As was stated, it's quite different when family is coming to visit you versus a customer paying for a product. If nothing more, the applicability of rollaways, and potential for one when booking a guarantee, if that is the intent, needs to be clarified by RCI.

The "big deal" is that I paid for a third berth. An optional rollaway bed, IMHO, is not a third berth. A sofa bed or a pullman, as shown on the deck plans, is a third/fourth berth. The other part, which impacts the experience, is that a rollaway will affect the ability to get from one side of the room to the balcony. That, also IMHO, is a "big deal". Particularly when we plan to sneak past the little one to the balcony after he's down. When you only have 182 square feet for a bathroom, a king size bed, end tables, a closet, vanity, and sofa, adding in a rollaway doesn't leave much room to stand.

I just sent Mr. Frau another email asking the same question second time, to put in writing that our room will have a sofa bed. Here is the copy/paste of what I wrote:

"Dear Mr. Frau:

Can you put in writing that our room will have a sofa bed as you told me on the phone? In your previous email it only said "your stateroom will be able to accommodate your three guests" it doesn't not say anything about the sofa bed.

Accomodate 3 guests can meant anything such as put in a roll away bed for 3rd person.

I'm hoping it is not a roll away bed which will put near the sofa and put a sheet or mattress on top to join the roll away bed with the sofa.

I'm expecting a room designated for 3 which will have a sofa bed. A sofa bed is a bed that fold out from a sofa and during the day time I can fold it and tuck it away inside of the sofa.

Thanks

"

I need to comment on your last paragraph. You are aware that a "sofabed" on Royal is not like a sofabed in a hotel or even one you have at home in your office should a guest come over.

They are regular sofas, and they pull the seat part forward and the backs flatten down, and they put a sheet over the seating part and the back part, which is now flat, and it becomes a bed. When they used to have the foam mattress toppers, we'd sometimes get those as well, but I understand those are gone for sanitary reasons. So if you're expecting a pull out bed that comes from underneath the cushions, you're definitely not getting that in any form.

I need to comment on your last paragraph. You are aware that a "sofabed" on Royal is not like a sofabed in a hotel or even one you have at home in your office should a guest come over.

They are regular sofas, and they pull the seat part forward and the backs flatten down, and they put a sheet over the seating part and the back part, which is now flat, and it becomes a bed. When they used to have the foam mattress toppers, we'd sometimes get those as well, but I understand those are gone for sanitary reasons. So if you're expecting a pull out bed that comes from underneath the cushions, you're definitely not getting that in any form.

Thank you for that information. What I'm trying to say is that during the day time it will become a sofa again to save space in our room regardless how it works .

Just found a video on how a sofa bed works on Royal Caribbean ship. Yes this is the one we should have instead of the smaller roll away bed

Edited by StrikeEagle

Thank you for that information. What I'm trying to say is that during the day time it will become a sofa again to save space in our room regardless how it works .

Just found a video on how a sofa bed works on Royal Caribbean ship. Yes this is the one we should have instead of the smaller roll away bed

Send this to the jerk and ask him to confirm in writing that in fact this will be in your cabin. Tell him if he cannot do so you want another cabin. Be firm.

Of the problems I've read about lately, regarding guarantee rooms, this one ranks near the top, probably right behind having no room at all. I know in most cases guarantee cabins go just fine, but the problem stories are what stick out in your mind. I'm probably too picky to ever book a guarantee anyway, but you never know when that perfect deal might come along.

Fingers crossed that all goes well and you are able to have an enjoyable cruise.

I would not accept that cabin. A very similar thing happened to us. Three adults in a Handicapped room, which turned out to have only 2 beds. GS said no roll-aways available, room stewardess brought a roll away, but when I laid on it, it curled around me like a hotdog bun. Complaint after complaint to CS yielded the reply of no other rooms available, but suddenly 3 days later they found an empty room on deck 2. This was not acceptable as I am the caregiver for the 2 handicapped persons in our room. Long story short, I slept on a thin, thin mattress on the floor for the remainder of the cruise. After getting home, my travel agent was told there was a glitch in the system that allowed 3 people to be booked in that room when there were only 2 beds. Too late for us, but now you are forewarned.

Lori

I would not accept that cabin. A very similar thing happened to us. Three adults in a Handicapped room, which turned out to have only 2 beds. GS said no roll-aways available, room stewardess brought a roll away, but when I laid on it, it curled around me like a hotdog bun. Complaint after complaint to CS yielded the reply of no other rooms available, but suddenly 3 days later they found an empty room on deck 2. This was not acceptable as I am the caregiver for the 2 handicapped persons in our room. Long story short, I slept on a thin, thin mattress on the floor for the remainder of the cruise. After getting home, my travel agent was told there was a glitch in the system that allowed 3 people to be booked in that room when there were only 2 beds. Too late for us, but now you are forewarned.

Lori

Lori,

Thank you for your perspective. Your experience is exactly why I'm concerned that, in spite of assurances from C&A that the room we've been assigned can accommodate 3 people, the RCI definition of 'accommodation' may vary from what is commonly expected.

The other part, which impacts the experience, is that a rollaway will affect the ability to get from one side of the room to the balcony. That, also IMHO, is a "big deal". Particularly when we plan to sneak past the little one to the balcony after he's down. When you only have 182 square feet for a bathroom, a king size bed, end tables, a closet, vanity, and sofa, adding in a rollaway doesn't leave much room to stand.

I agree 182 square feet is very tight. When the sofa bed is out for the night, you won't be able to barely walk anywhere, let alone to the balcony!

I agree 182 square feet is very tight. When the sofa bed is out for the night, you won't be able to barely walk anywhere, let alone to the balcony!

So, you would agree then, that a rollaway that wasn't designed to be in the room, would be even more of an obstruction??

You could always offer to pay for the difference to ENSURE you get a TRUE 3 adult beds cabin. Keep in mind that you still may not get an actual sofabed as pullmans are far more common. A pullman is a 3rd or 4th bed that folds down from either the ceiling or one of the walls generally directly over the main bedding area (think bunk beds type of thing). Good luck.

Although we have been on many prior cruises, this is our first GTY Balcony cabin for our upcoming 7 day Caribbean cruise with our 15 year old son. We were hoping to get a sofabed but were fully aware that we may have been assigned a cabin with a pullman in it. However, when prices dropped and we were able to pay a bit more for a GTY Suite, we expected to get a mini suite with it's own sleeper sofa. However, fortunately we ended up getting a Grand Suite assigned instead so we will have more room and are now assured of a sleeper sofa...for a price that is fine for us.

Edited by ndabunka

You could always offer to pay for the difference to ENSURE you get a TRUE 3 adult beds cabin. Keep in mind that you still may not get an actual sofabed as pullmans are far more common. A pullman is a 3rd or 4th bed that folds down from either the ceiling or one of the walls generally directly over the main bedding area (think bunk beds type of thing). Good luck.

Although we have been on many prior cruises, this is our first GTY Balcony cabin for our upcoming 7 day Caribbean cruise with our 15 year old son. We were hoping to get a sofabed but were fully aware that we may have been assigned a cabin with a pullman in it. However, when prices dropped and we were able to pay a bit more for a GTY Suite, we expected to get a mini suite with it's own sleeper sofa. However, fortunately we ended up getting a Grand Suite assigned instead so we will have more room and are now assured of a sleeper sofa...for a price that is fine for us.

pullman bed is our first choice. On other class ships from Royal Caribbean prior to the Oasis class, there are plenty of those pullman beds around the ship, but starting with the Oasis class, for interior room, there are only about 3 or 4 rooms which has pullman bed. Then with the Quantum class I think none of the room has pullman bed, they have sofa bed instead of pullman bed. I think newer RCI ships are going away from the pullman because of maintenance and repair. Sofa beds are easier to replace once broken than pullman bed.

Edited by StrikeEagle

There is definitely something fishy going on. Too many similar reports for this to be "a glitch".

I was looking into a 3 person guarantee the other day, and the category read as "2J". I called Reservations and asked them about this, since 2J only accommodates 2. They said it was a glitch, and that we would likely be assigned a 1J or a different category that accommodates 3. Certainly not 2J, they said, since it does not fit 3. After hearing all these stories, I am not so sure.

There is definitely something fishy going on. Too many similar reports for this to be "a glitch".

I was looking into a 3 person guarantee the other day, and the category read as "2J". I called Reservations and asked them about this, since 2J only accommodates 2. They said it was a glitch, and that we would likely be assigned a 1J or a different category that accommodates 3. Certainly not 2J, they said, since it does not fit 3. After hearing all these stories, I am not so sure.

Probably a result of the “recent enhancements” to their websites. To better serve you, of course.

Didn't want jump the gun but was thinking same thing last week when this issue started become reg issue...

Didn't want jump the gun but was thinking same thing last week when this issue started become reg issue...

The poster Lori above confirmed that she was put into a room meant for 2 with a rollaway. I am starting to worry that this is something new they are testing.

To the OP, confirm in writing with Mr Frau that you will *not* be getting a rollaway.

I'm thinking all of us with this issue inundate Mr. Frau's email and Mr. Bayley's email with our problem. This is not what I agreed to when purchasing a guarantee... I agreed to take a Neighborhood Balcony, or better, anywhere on the ship that would have accommodations for 3 people. They can't seem to be able to confirm that's what I'll get.

I called and spoke with the Resolutions Dept. yesterday morning, and was told they would reach out to the head of hospitality on Harmony to confirm what is actually in the room I was assigned, a category 4I (which is clearly marked on the deck plans as no sofa bed or pullman). I was told I should hear back from them "in a day or so". Tonight when calling back, because I have not heard from them after 36 hours, which so happens to be "a day or so", I find out the rep I spoke with yesterday is the ONLY person who can see any potential response from the ship, as the ship will be responding directly to her by email. And guess what? She's off... today and tomorrow. Well, that would have been nice to have been told yesterday...

The rep I spoke with tonight seemed to make an effort to do something on her end, but I gathered she can only assign within the same category (which obviously does no good as the category they assigned me to is one that only accommodates 2 guests) or change me to another category if the price is within a certain amount or percentage of what I paid. Of course, the only balconies that are available and accommodate 3 people are now much more than what I paid 3 months ago. So I sit and wait for the rep I spoke to yesterday - on Wednesday - to hopefully call me back on Saturday, "a day or so", after Wednesday.

This whole situation is nonsense...

I'm thinking all of us with this issue inundate Mr. Frau's email and Mr. Bayley's email with our problem. This is not what I agreed to when purchasing a guarantee... I agreed to take a Neighborhood Balcony, or better, anywhere on the ship that would have accommodations for 3 people. They can't seem to be able to confirm that's what I'll get.

I called and spoke with the Resolutions Dept. yesterday morning, and was told they would reach out to the head of hospitality on Harmony to confirm what is actually in the room I was assigned, a category 4I (which is clearly marked on the deck plans as no sofa bed or pullman). I was told I should hear back from them "in a day or so". Tonight when calling back, because I have not heard from them after 36 hours, which so happens to be "a day or so", I find out the rep I spoke with yesterday is the ONLY person who can see any potential response from the ship, as the ship will be responding directly to her by email. And guess what? She's off... today and tomorrow. Well, that would have been nice to have been told yesterday...

The rep I spoke with tonight seemed to make an effort to do something on her end, but I gathered she can only assign within the same category (which obviously does no good as the category they assigned me to is one that only accommodates 2 guests) or change me to another category if the price is within a certain amount or percentage of what I paid. Of course, the only balconies that are available and accommodate 3 people are now much more than what I paid 3 months ago. So I sit and wait for the rep I spoke to yesterday - on Wednesday - to hopefully call me back on Saturday, "a day or so", after Wednesday.

This whole situation is nonsense...

Not to be devil’s advocate here, but a roll-away IS technically accommodations for 3. Happens in hotels all the time.

Not to be devil’s advocate here, but a roll-away IS technically accommodations for 3. Happens in hotels all the time.

While I would not disagree, rollaways, to my knowledge, have not been historically offered to provide a 3rd berth. And beyond that, a hotel room, even a small one, is almost or greater than twice the size of a cruise ship stateroom (~180 square feet vs. ~360 square feet). So, the placement of a rollaway in a hotel room has less of an impact than it would in a cruise ship stateroom. Even in a JS, it would probably not be a big deal. But a regular balcony is much smaller than a hotel room.

If they want to use rollaways to provide a 3rd berth, it should be made clear to the customer when booking.

While I would not disagree, rollaways, to my knowledge, have not been historically offered to provide a 3rd berth. And beyond that, a hotel room, even a small one, is almost or greater than twice the size of a cruise ship stateroom (~180 square feet vs. ~360 square feet). So, the placement of a rollaway in a hotel room has less of an impact than it would in a cruise ship stateroom.

If they want to use rollaways to provide a 3rd berth, it should be made clear to the customer when booking.

Can the room not accommodate 3 with a rollaway bed?

You may not like it, but according to the cruise contract you signed they’re well within their rights here. I understand you would PREFER a different set-up, but these are the risks you take with a guarantee room.

Can the room not accommodate 3 with a rollaway bed?

You may not like it, but according to the cruise contract you signed they’re well within their rights here. I understand you would PREFER a different set-up, but these are the risks you take with a guarantee room.

Can you direct me to the section or clause of the cruise contract which states this? I see no mention of rollaways anywhere on deck plans, online, or elsewhere in official documentation.

Also, every hotel I've ever booked with more than 2 people provides a rollaway at the option of the customer. Not as a obligatory means to provide a bed for person #3. When staying in a hotel, the customer chooses to book a room with 1 bed or 2, and opts for a rollaway at their discretion.

Edited by ucfknight07

Can you direct me to the section or clause of the cruise contract which states this? I see no mention of rollaways anywhere on deck plans, online, or elsewhere in official documentation.

See section 6, part a, which I affectionally call the “we can do whatever the @&$- we want” clause.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

The only thing a GTY room ensures you is that you have a stateroom of AT LEAST the category that you booked, nothing less, nothing more (and occasionally not even this according to a few, rare reports). It does not guarantee you that the room is naturally designed to hold your number of passengers, just that the number of passengers will be accommodated.

See section 6, part a, which I affectionally call the “we can do whatever the @&$- we want” clause.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

All corporate contracts have catch-all clauses, and if enough customers want to fight the validity of such clauses, the corporation will eventually acknowledge when they try to do something underhanded using such clauses.

As has been pointed out on other threads, government regulations stipulate the assignment of guests to rooms for purposes of emergencies. I'd like to know how RCI is ensuring compliance with maritime law and providing space for each person in a lifeboat should the need arise.

For what it's worth, this is how Disney addresses rollaways:

Our reservation system ensures that you will select accommodations with the correct number of beds and ample space for the Guests occupying your stateroom. We regret that we cannot provide additional cots.

READ: we set the number of guests that can fit in a room, based upon the beds which are actually in the stateroom (and therefore can be confirmed by the customer on deck plans), and no other beds (i.e., rollaways) are offered.

Edited by ucfknight07

All corporate contracts have catch-all clauses, and if enough customers want to fight the validity of such clauses, the corporation will eventually acknowledge when they try to do something underhanded using such clauses.

As has been pointed out on other threads, government regulations stipulate the assignment of guests to rooms for purposes of emergencies. I'd like to know how RCI is ensuring compliance with maritime law and providing space for each person in a lifeboat should the need arise.

For what it's worth, this is how Disney addresses rollaways:

Our reservation system ensures that you will select accommodations with the correct number of beds and ample space for the Guests occupying your stateroom. We regret that we cannot provide additional cots.

READ: we set the number of guests that can fit in a room, based upon the beds which are actually in the stateroom (and therefore can be confirmed by the customer on deck plans), and no other beds (i.e., rollaways) are offered.

That's great, but obviously Royal & Disney have different thoughts on this. As always, the best way to voice your displeasure is to vote with your wallet in the future. Eventually if they see a hit to their bottom line, they will do something about it.