Formal night

jamie15401

Our sceduled cruise has 4 consecutive port stops and that leaves dsy 2 and day 6 days at sea. Is it likely the second day at sea will be formal night or is it possible the last night before we disembark would be formal night. I don’t think formal nights occur in same day as a port stop or do they? Just trying to figure this out so I can make specialty dining reservations on formal night. Thank you!!:cool:

Your logic seems sound. I haven't been on a cruise where the last night was a formal night. Formal rentals want to get their stuff back and passengers are pacing to exit the ship.

Typically, the second night of the cruise will be formal night. If there is a second one, it won't be the last night as that is when people are putting their suitcases outside their door for departure the next morning.

You can book a speciality restaurant online, but have to wait until you are onboard to reserve the time and night, unless it has changed since the last time we did it. When you get onboard, get the first daily patter available for that day and it will tell you which nights are formal, and you can plan from there.

Our sceduled cruise has 4 consecutive port stops and that leaves dsy 2 and day 6 days at sea. Is it likely the second day at sea will be formal night or is it possible the last night before we disembark would be formal night. I don’t think formal nights occur in same day as a port stop or do they? Just trying to figure this out so I can make specialty dining reservations on formal night. Thank you!!:cool:

If you mention the ship and date you can get some fairly good guesses. You can always wait until you board and reserve by calling the dine line or visiting the restaurant on the afternoon of boarding day. Formal nights are shown in the Princess Patter which will be in your cabin when you board. Note, if there is a coupon book in your cabin look for the BOGO specialty restaurant promo good on boarding day only.

Your embarkation Princess Patter will have the whole week agenda, including formal nights, listed. You can also do it fairly well by process of elimination:

Never the embarkation night - you need to attend muster drill, and you need to not be half-dressed for that. Some folks will come screaming on the ship at the last millisecond, and wouldn't have time to change. Plus, any misrouted luggage needs time to be sorted out.

Never the disembarkation night - Princess wants your bags in the hallway as early as possible, and they don't want that to be the reason you forgot your jammies and non-formal clothes to wear off the ship.

Never two nights in a row - it loses its luster if back to back.

Once all of that is said and done, just put yourself in Princess' shoes: they want excursion revenue (for those who choose to book through the ship), but they also want photo revenue and spa revenue, plus there's a small opportunity for increased specialty dining revenue from the folks who don't want to do formal dress but do want a served meal. So pick the night(s) that make the most sense for photo/spa revenue, which would be the port day with the earliest cast-off time (most likely).

Our sceduled cruise has 4 consecutive port stops and that leaves dsy 2 and day 6 days at sea. Is it likely the second day at sea will be formal night or is it possible the last night before we disembark would be formal night. I don’t think formal nights occur in same day as a port stop or do they? :cool:

Your numbers don't quite jibe. I assume this is your actual itinerary:

Day 1 Embark

Day 2 At Sea

Days 3, 4, 5, 6 Port Calls

Day 7 At Sea

Day 8 Disembark

So formal nights will most likely be Day 2 plus the port day with the earliest departure time out of Days 4, 5, or 6. The final night is never formal so this will be one of many such cruises with a port day as formal.

Incidentally pax can wear about anything to the MDR on the day of embarkation and the last dinner before leaving the ship. They tolerate almost anything reasonable since pax may not have received their luggage in time to dress for dinner or they have put all but what they are wearing to disembark the ship in their checked luggage setting in the hall to be picked up.

The last night is never formal.

Oh, sorry, misread. I thought the day at sea was the night before you disembark. They won't have formal night on the night before you leave.

I totally agree with you. Never on the last night of any cruise that I have been on.

Tony

Any guesses on my itinerary?

7-Dec FRI Ft Laud --- 4:00 PM

8-Dec SAT Princess Cay 9:00 AM 4:00 PM

9-Dec SUN SEA

10-Dec MON St Thomas 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

11-Dec TUE Antigua 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

12-Dec WED St Lucia 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

13-Dec THU Barbados 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

14-Dec FRI St Kitts 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

15-Dec SAT SEA

16-Dec SUN SEA

17-Dec MON Ft Laud 7:00 AM

Any guesses on my itinerary?

7-Dec FRI Ft Laud --- 4:00 PM

8-Dec SAT Princess Cay 9:00 AM 4:00 PM

9-Dec SUN SEA

10-Dec MON St Thomas 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

11-Dec TUE Antigua 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

12-Dec WED St Lucia 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

13-Dec THU Barbados 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

14-Dec FRI St Kitts 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

15-Dec SAT SEA

16-Dec SUN SEA

17-Dec MON Ft Laud 7:00 AM

The 9th and the 15th, but of course that's nothing more than an educated guess. :D