Room Service Breakfast

izdgrama

HAL does a great job on room service breakfast IMO. Decent selection of hot items and you can write in things that are on the MDR menu and normally you will get it.

Plus, the orders mostly arrive at the beginning of the time slot you select (sometimes even a bit early so be prepared) and the food is hot.

Nice way to start the day!

We were on the Kdam this past May from Rome to Amsterdam (great itinerary and cruise!). We had a very early excursion from Cadiz to Seville so for the first time in over 20 cruises we decided to order a room service breakfast. And, since we were sailing very close to land through the Strait of Gibraltar, I decided to use my cell phone alarm instead of the ship's wake up call. Unbeknownst to me, during the night my phone picked up the cell tower from MOROCCO, which was an hour behind Spain. Thank goodness the room service waiter knocked very hard and loud at 6 a.m., the beginning of our requested time slot. I jumped into the bathroom and DH answered the door. I hope we remembered to tip the waiter! Breakfast was fine. Coffee and food were hot. I still prefer a dining room breakfast, but its good to know room service in the early a.m. is available.

I love the HAL breakfast room service.

Currently, if you are not in a Neptune or Pinnacle suite, there is a charge for the following:

$7.50 Smoked Salmon Bendict two eggs poached, smoked salmon, red onion, capers, English muffin, hollandaise sauce, roasted potatoes, sliced fruit

$9.50 Steak & Eggs- two eggs over easy, 8 oz. New York strip loin, crispy onions, roasted potatoes, white and wheat toast, sliced fruit

$4.95 Kick Start Smoothie- fresh fruit smoothie with vanilla Greek yogurt, honey, banana, pineapple, berries, peaches

____

Everything else is no charge. The new breakfast cards just have pre-set meals (to make it easier I am sure for prep/staff). I haven't had any issue getting anything I have written in.

I finally broke down and paid the extra for the Smoked Salmon Benedict on our last cruise. This was after many breakfast fails. I have to say, it was one of the best meals of the trip. The eggs were perfection. I suppose this will be my strategy in the future, as room-service breakfasts are something I particularly enjoy. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Not powdered eggs. Pasteurized liquid eggs.

Regardless, they were inedible, so it doesn’t matter whether they are powdered or liquid eggs. It’s splitting hairs here. The room service scrambled eggs just aren’t as good as fresh eggs in the dining room or Lido. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We modify a little bit and have always got what we asked for. We carefully cross out scrambled egg and write in sunny side up.

I always add ''thank you'' and a little smiley face and of course we tip.

Sandra

Sandra, I always do the same as you: write in something not on the menu, write thank you in big letters on the menu and tip. Sad they do not have on the room menu: coffee cream:rolleyes:, muffins, raisin buns.

We have had good luck with room service breakfasts. Often in pj's and robe, DW sometimes hides out in bathroom. Another nice feature on HAL, you can enjoy room service the morning you disembark.

Ditto on the hiding. It sometimes happens that DW has to jump into the loo for a few minutes when the breakfast arrives. I'll at least have on gym shorts so I can open the door.

We always modify the menu with write ins and only very occasionally does something we write in not appear on the tray. And of course the person delivering the food gets a nice tip. Its generally the same person every morning and from their dress, its dining room staff. I'm sure they think some of our write-ins are a bit weird. The one that always seems to get a question from the delivery staff is the, '2 Hot Water - No Cups'. This is because I my own Tea (Ginseng) and a 16oz Travel Mug for it.

I ordered room service a couple times on my Zaandam cruise in July. I had the ham and cheese omelette with toast, orange juice and some milk. It was on time, and hot each time it came. It was good, my only complaint was that the orange juice was a bit weak. The rest was delicious.

Here's a picture of one morning from my blog that I did of our cruise.

http://www.suebees.wordpress.com

83024755a1f23c35ee1a4ac90b5ef74f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I ordered room service a couple times on my Zaandam cruise in July. I had the ham and cheese omelette with toast, orange juice and some milk. It was on time, and hot each time it came. It was good, my only complaint was that the orange juice was a bit weak. The rest was delicious.

Here's a picture of one morning from my blog that I did of our cruise.

www.suebees.wordpress.com

83024755a1f23c35ee1a4ac90b5ef74f.jpg

If you would like a glass for your carton of milk, you need to write "empty glass" on the Breakfast Card.

Overtime4me2,

I noticed that you ordered toast with your breakfast. My one concern with Room Service Breakfast is that the butter pats are stone cold and the toast is, at best, lukewarm. I have to "muscle" the butter to get it to spread on the toast and then, usually, I am not really satisfied with my efforts. Usually, I choose their delicious croissants as my bread item.

Overtime4me2,

I noticed that you ordered toast with your breakfast. My one concern with Room Service Breakfast is that the butter pats are stone cold and the toast is, at best, lukewarm. I have to "muscle" the butter to get it to spread on the toast and then, usually, I am not really satisfied with my efforts. Usually, I choose their delicious croissants as my bread item.

I usually order the croissants also but for some reason the toast just sounded really good to me. And luckily the butter pats were soft so I didn't have that problem, I was concerned about that too. [emoji846]

So that is the question for me, does Princess cruise offer hot items for breakfast room service? This seems to be saying..no. Thanks!

I have had bacon, eggs, omelettes etc. From room service on Princess

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My standard tip is $2/tray whether for breakfast or any Room Service.

That is what we used to give, but decided to up it to $3 for our last cruise. And since I ran out of ones by the end of the cruise, I gave $5 for the last one, along with thanks for the timely delivery all through the cruise.

Not a fan of the new abbreviated Room Service Breakfast menu, but I have had mixed success by writing in items not listed and crossing off items I don't want. Sometimes, it works; sometimes not. It does seem to vary ship by ship. Just as the phone call from the Room Service Supervisor soon after my breakfast arrives as to my satisfaction with it.

We have not had any problems writing in modifications we want. Everything was delivered as requested. And the funny thing about the call, the only time it did not happen, was the day they left off a couple of items. They were minor items and did not impact our enjoyment of the breakfast.

Our write-in/modifications would be things like.

Ham - No Glaze,

Jam - Strawberry

Hot Water - No Cups

Passion Fruit Juice

Yogurt - Peach

I know it’s tacky to ask, but what do you typically tip for room service?

Because there isn’t a charge, it’s not as easy as tipping 20%, as an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. I usually fold my tip and slide it in the slot on the back of the door that holds the Do Not Disturb thingy. That way, I know where the tip is in case I'm not at 100% performance when breakfast arrives. Our usual tip is anywhere from $2 to $5 depending on (a) what we order, and (b) what our supply of one dollar bills looks like.