Wished NCL sails out of Baltimore, MD

fstuff1

I haven't talked to the guy who was overseeing the installation of exhaust scrubbers on NCL in a while, so I don't know what the overall plan is, or how they have progressed, but the only thing that makes the Grandeur and the Pride economical sailing from Baltimore are scrubbers. Given the amount of time the ship needs just to get out of the Bay, and then get 200 nm offshore, to stop using diesel fuel if you don't have scrubbers, no ship without scrubbers will be based there. Very similar to NOLA, a limited pool of vessels fitted to do this.

Only a five hour drive to the nearest port? Zero sympathy for you. Sorry.

Try traveling from the Heartland of America. ;p

Or Dallas. NCL left Houston. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just chiming in here, not in disagreement of anyone....just to say we love sailing the Grandeur out of Baltimore and have several times down to the Southern Caribbean on 12 day sailings. Love the smaller size and young friendly Captain who wanders around the ship talking to everyone, with his 2 small children. It's the easist embarkation ever. Park your car and your on the ship in 20 minutes. We are in Philly, so we have Port Liberty, NYC, and Baltimore all a couple hours or less away. Saves alot of hassle at airports and luggage issues. That being said, we also love sailing from the Florida ports and beginning our cruise in the warm weather. HOWEVER, flight costs to Miami, Ft Lauderdale, etc have skyrocketed!! :eek:

Happy cruisin'

Susan

My closest cruise port is a 9 hour drive and I can ONLY go to the Bahamas and Florida from there (on a week long cruise, which is all the time I ever have). I am still grateful, though that I can cruise out of NYC or NJ. Too much can go wrong with flying to a cruise, I much prefer to drive and save the flying for when I want to do an AI.

I live in the DC area.

my nearest ncl port is new york. (it's a 5hr drive.)

RCL and Carnival sail out of Baltimore.

Wished NCL did. :(

I think we all wish they cruised out of a few other cities and wish when they sail out of NY or Boston they had better port stops in the USA then they do, but maybe soon we will see some changes. I look at it this way though, the ships that do sail out of Baltimore are not the ships I would want to be on so I can live with only sailing out of NYC, Boston, Miami. At least those on or close to the east coast don't have to spend hours, big bucks and arrive exhausted to the port of embarkation like those of us living in the heartland like someone mentioned.

Edited by newmexicoNita

No they don't. Not out kid the original Boston. It's only 45 minutes from my house, it would be really handy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm not sure we are speaking the same language. What???

Flights to MIA are cheap....y’all can keep the cold weather ports.

NY is not cold in the summer ;)

When you add in the flights (which I don't find to be cheap from NY/NJ), the cost of hotel and food for the travel day before the cruise for our family of 5, it ain't cheap. Would rather go out of NY, it's so convenient. We have to go in the summer anyway cuz of school and the weather is great. I would also hate to have to take another full day flying home.

• 4 months later...
Royal uses the oldest ship out of MD and the pride is great but its the worst itinerary going to nassau and Freeport.

Drive 5 hrs to NYC.

GREAT? By that you mean dirty, smelly, and covered in rust, and also NO late night food other than pizza that is ½ raw and look like it was just pulled out of a tub of Wesson oil?