Why is there a height limit for culinary excursion?

OceanCruise

The Celebrity culinary excursion on St. Martin entails a Celebrity chef taking guests to local markets and a local lunch. They will not allow booking if you are over 6 feet tall. Can someone explain why they have this restriction for this type of tour?

It is because they know a tall person will eat more, so they are trying to save $$$.

I admit that I had this thought, too. But then they would also have a weight limit (and Lord knows what kind of discrimination suit that would entail!)

I'd probably contact Celebrity One Touch or Captain's Club about this. It's likely that it's another of the wonderful, mysterious mistakes on their website. Or maybe they can waive the restriction. I'd send them an email (don't call) and tell them your height, ask why they have the restriction and if it an be waived. If they say yes and you want to take the excursion, make sure you have that email approving it available when you get on the cruise.

I'm not just 'saying' this - I've gotten a number of weird things taken care of this way. But ALWAYS ask for it in writing (even if they call you on the phone as a follow up to your email).

This excursion also has a weight limit. When you try to book in the cruise planner it specifically asks if you are over 250 lbs and then asks if you are over 6 feet tall. It also lists both those restrictions in the excursion description. I just found that very odd.

I’m 7’2” and thnk they shouldn’t be discriminating! If I can’t ‘fit’ then they shouldn’t allow the excursion/tour. Welll, maybe I’m 5’6” and I worry they won’t let me book because I won’t be able to sit up enough to see out!

Oh well.

That i a funny restriction of 6’ - that isn’t really an odd size.

Den

My guess would be because of the vehicle used on the tour. Something about it won't accommodate a taller person so for safety reasons, they have that restriction.

That is probably the reason -- too tall for the vehicle used on the tour.

I understand weight limits for certain excursions (zip lining, horseback riding, etc), but a height limit? Give me a break. This has to be a mistake. What, you won't fit in the vehicle if you're 6 ft tall but you'll fit if you're 5' 11 and 3/4?

If the tour you are referring to is the Chef's Market Discoveries tour...I was bugged by this question...and I believe that my research and reading has uncovered that the vehicle used in the tour is a Mercedes Benz 12-14 passenger Sprinter Van. It is very likely that the restrictions on this tour are related to the seats on that van. They likely think that there isn't the leg room to safely accommodate (or comfortably accommodate) a person over 6 feet tall...and also that the safety belts and seats might not accommodate a person whose potential width (250 pounds) also wouldn't fit in the van. I have no idea what the cargo limits are for this van and if they also need to max out the potential weight of the cargo by limiting the weight of each potential person on board. Just a wondering on my part...

My thoughts are that it has as much to do with the safety and comfort of the individual person booking the excursion as with the passengers that would potentially be sitting next to and having to deal with the "overflow" of a person larger than the seat is designed to accommodate. Especially if the price tag is a comparatively above average in cost.

Edited to add: listings I found for the tour also made no mention of any restrictions though...so weird.

We did this tour in Spring, 2017. I don’t recall any height restriction. And, with all due respect to a very fine Chef who gave us a good tour, when someone gets the nickname “Tiny” it is usually because he isn’t. Tiny would not have met the purported restrictions for the tour. The reported height limit is clearly a clerical error, a form-fill blank entry carried over from another tour.

Stan

Pictured here? [emoji4]

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52278693&postcount=50

You added to this review on that thread...I do believe

Yes, “Tiny” is the guy in the 3rd picture on the left, likely > 250 and > 6 ft. The pictures brought a smile to my face - a wonderful day and loved Tiny!

Our van was pretty roomy though, if I remember correctly.

We recently did a tour in St. Lucia without restrictions and the tour bus was really small and full. There were a few 6’ men on board who really did struggle with the leg room. They were having to sit nearly sideways on the seats so one leg could stretch into the centre. The younger one, our son, was fine but by the end of the day the others were struggling, especially one older gentleman....Fortunately our tour had several stops which helped. A tall heavy person would really have struggled as would the person next to them.

I wonder if complaints have been made re the comfort of some of these small island buses and rather than change the transport they have added restrictions?