Edge Cabin Information - What Do We Want On Our Spreadsheet?

vtcruising

Here is a first draft of the E Class Cabin Spreadsheet sticky. I took advice from people here and tried to hone it down to a minimal number of categories. I think it captures what people most often ask when looking at cabins.

I added a Suite category, as some mentioned wanting details on the suites (and 12% of the cabins are suites). If in a suite, people could comment on things like the bath features, balcony furniture, closet space, dining table size, bar/wine cooler and other special features.

I still need to clean up the formatting a bit and add some features, especially the search features.

There are a few tabs in addition to the cabin info at the bottom of the page:

• Posting Format - explains how to post
  • Terminology/Tips for Completion - lists some terms to use and gives ideas about what to post about (used some of the ideas from here that didn't make it to its own category).
  • How to Search - will complete after the features are added
  • Edge Resources - links to Edge cabin info and for the Edge in general.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Please look it over and see what you think. We still have plenty of time to develop a useful tool. :D

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bFHV6Ax0FmbzTqHb1e6eCeLpGe9SEBZPJeJ4K472toY/edit?usp=sharing

Looks good..

so just to confirm...to locate the info on a specific cabin it will work the same as curent spreadsheet format? Consistency will make it easy to compare M, S and E class.

Just a thought...no biggie...not sure shade/sun on balc is the correct term as that changes by the ship's location...Overhang vs no overhang might be a better term

Thanks for all the hard work on this..,It will be very useful because EDGE staterooms are so varied and of course will be brand new!

Looks good..

so just to confirm...to locate the info on a specific cabin it will work the same as curent spreadsheet format? Consistency will make it easy to compare M, S and E class.

Just a thought...no biggie...not sure shade/sun on balc is the correct term as that changes by the ship's location...Overhang vs no overhang might be a better term

Thanks for all the hard work on this..,It will be very useful because EDGE staterooms are so varied and of course will ve brand new!

Yes I plan to have the search capabilities the same (could improve it if there were some good ideas).

I will think about the sun/shade wording - I was thinking more of overhangs too.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Vtcruising, your spreadsheet looks wonderful! I’ve only just taken a first look at it, and I do have a couple comments. Apologies if others have made similar comments, but I’d just like to write this while my impressions are fresh:)

It seems that sun/shade on port & starboard verandas are dependent on both weather and direction of travel, while overhangs are not. Is overhang what you meant?

Do you really want only “Suite Details” or would you like this info about all cabin classes?

Since this is a different format from the other cabin stickies, do you think it would be helpful to have a couple review examples at the top? Dummy reviews of a cabin and a suite in bold perhaps?

I can’t wait to see this in action! I’m hoping that everyone on the early sailings will use the sticky to review their stateroom or suite. Since I’ll be on the first TA, I guess I may have a chance to review whether there are any unusual creaks or bangs in our stateroom during stormy seas;)

Vtcruising, your spreadsheet looks wonderful! I’ve only just taken a first look at it, and I do have a couple comments. Apologies if others have made similar comments, but I’d just like to write this while my impressions are fresh:)

It seems that sun/shade on port & starboard verandas are dependent on both weather and direction of travel, while overhangs are not. Is overhang what you meant?

Do you really want only “Suite Details” or would you like this info about all cabin classes?

Since this is a different format from the other cabin stickies, do you think it would be helpful to have a couple review examples at the top? Dummy reviews of a cabin and a suite in bold perhaps?

I can’t wait to see this in action! I’m hoping that everyone on the early sailings will use the sticky to review their stateroom or suite. Since I’ll be on the first TA, I guess I may have a chance to review whether there are any unusual creaks or bangs in our stateroom during stormy seas;)

Thanks for the suggestions!

1) Did you see the tab with examples of what to put in under each category? I like the idea of a full example though - should be easy enough to do.

2) The reason I did the separate suite category was that some people wanted to know about the features of the each suite (where's the bed, bathroom fixtures, etc.) - it seemed easier to just let them describe it, rather than put in separate columns. I think for the other staterooms we will know that we have 1 bath with the usual fixtures and by answering the other questions about bed by bath, size of balcony, etc. we can describe the cabins. We can think more about that. Maybe there is enough variation to warrant a separate column.

3) Someone else mentioned the overhang vs sun/shade - I changed that.

We should be able to get a good tool by working together on this! :D

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bFHV6Ax0FmbzTqHb1e6eCeLpGe9SEBZPJeJ4K472toY/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for the suggestions!

1) Did you see the tab with examples of what to put in under each category? I like the idea of a full example though - should be easy enough to do.

2) The reason I did the separate suite category was that some people wanted to know about the features of the each suite (where's the bed, bathroom fixtures, etc.) - it seemed easier to just let them describe it, rather than put in separate columns. I think for the other staterooms we will know that we have 1 bath with the usual fixtures and by answering the other questions about bed by bath, size of balcony, etc. we can describe the cabins. We can think more about that. Maybe there is enough variation to warrant a separate column.

3) Someone else mentioned the overhang vs sun/shade - I changed that.

We should be able to get a good tool by working together on this! :D

I did see the tab, thanks. I only mentioned full examples because some people seem confused about the format on the other stickies.

Regarding the suite features, I wonder if that category would quickly seem redundant. Once the first wave of people post reviews and photos, everyone will know the contents of each suite category.

Regardless, you’ve designed a great cabin review format! I salute you with this excellent glass of Sauvignon Blanc;p

• 3 months later...

I have worked to get this Edge Cabin Spreadsheet sticky ready for Nov 27 (the last day of my first cruise). I have taken suggestions and reworked this several times. I know it doesn't have everything that everyone asked for, but it looks like it will do a pretty good job of gathering info, without being overwhelming to complete or maintain.

Please check it out for mistakes and functionality. If you look at the bottom of the spreadsheet, you will notice tabs with posting format, searching, tips and terms for completing info and an Edge Resources section.

The searching tool is pretty basic - it is the same as the S and M Class stickies, as requested by some of you, to make it less confusing. The How To Search tab has similar instructions as the other two stickies. I also developed a "How To Search" informational sheet with screen shots that I have linked below. I will link it to the Search tab.

I have played with it a lot and can search pretty easily now. I would like it if people could play with this test version and see if it works for them. This test version has 15 fake entries (the cabin numbers are not real, though I based them on various actual cabins and just made things up about them to test the system). As the administrator, I see a different view so I need people to try it out and make sure it is ready to use.

One thing that was added was a "link to post" section. In the last column of the sticky I will post a link to the reviewer's post itself. Posters can upload pictures to their post or a link to their pictures in their posts so that people will easily be able to view the post with pictures or links to pictures.

Edge Cabin Spreadsheet Test Version

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bFHV6Ax0FmbzTqHb1e6eCeLpGe9SEBZPJeJ4K472toY/edit#gid=0

I left the posting format to be copied and pasted into a post for completion, though I will be developing a form so that answers can be added automatically eventually. For now the info will have to be copied and pasted from the posts into the spreadsheet.

Please let me know what you think! I can't wait to fill this in for real! :classic_smile:

How To Search The Edge Class Cabin Spreadsheet.pdf

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, vtcruising said:

Here is a first draft of the E Class Cabin Spreadsheet sticky. I took advice from people here and tried to hone it down to a minimal number of categories. I think it captures what people most often ask when looking at cabins.

I added a Suite category, as some mentioned wanting details on the suites (and 12% of the cabins are suites). If in a suite, people could comment on things like the bath features, balcony furniture, closet space, dining table size, bar/wine cooler and other special features.

I still need to clean up the formatting a bit and add some features, especially the search features.

There are a few tabs in addition to the cabin info at the bottom of the page:

• Posting Format - explains how to post
  • Terminology/Tips for Completion - lists some terms to use and gives ideas about what to post about (used some of the ideas from here that didn't make it to its own category).
  • How to Search - will complete after the features are added
  • Edge Resources - links to Edge cabin info and for the Edge in general.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Please look it over and see what you think. We still have plenty of time to develop a useful tool. :D

I'd would like to add one more thing but not sure how to cover it. I suffer from terrible motion sickness if my body while sleeping is not travelling in the same direction as the forward motion of the ship. It took a while to determine that, on the Edge Class, I need to book a portside cabin with the bed by the Bath unlike the S-Class where I always have to book a portside with the bed by the Balcony. Any suggestion on how to handle this issue for a starboard side cabin would be very much appreciated. 

1 minute ago, Loracpin2 said:

I'd would like to add one more thing but not sure how to cover it. I suffer from terrible motion sickness if my body while sleeping is not travelling in the same direction as the forward motion of the ship. It took a while to determine that, on the Edge Class, I need to book a portside cabin with the bed by the Bath unlike the S-Class where I always have to book a portside with the bed by the Balcony. Any suggestion on how to handle this issue for a starboard side cabin would be very much appreciated. 

Perhaps a column... Head against aft wall vs head against forward wall for regular non suite staterooms... would that work. You can probably figure this out by looking at deck plan.. except for the suites... which I think are addresses with... facing ocean.

9 minutes ago, kearney said:

Perhaps a column... Head against aft wall vs head against forward wall for regular non suite staterooms... would that work. You can probably figure this out by looking at deck plan.. except for the suites... which I think are addresses with... facing ocean.

Sounds like a very common sense option!!!

This does not really belong on the spreadsheet, since it would apply to all regular cabins.... but what is the distance between the end of the bed and the wall. I wonder if a scooter could fit through there or a walker.  Scooter is roughly 22" wide... but space looks like it is more like 18"... just eyeballing it and based on other cabins. Perhaps instead of on spreadsheet for each cabin... perhaps just dimensions listed someplace...  

1 hour ago, kearney said:

This does not really belong on the spreadsheet, since it would apply to all regular cabins.... but what is the distance between the end of the bed and the wall. I wonder if a scooter could fit through there or a walker.  Scooter is roughly 22" wide... but space looks like it is more like 18"... just eyeballing it and based on other cabins. Perhaps instead of on spreadsheet for each cabin... perhaps just dimensions listed someplace...  

How about shorthand..scooter or walker friendly...or room for a scooter?

I may be an anomaly but does anyone else care if one is forward-facing or aft-facing?

I like to face forward when sitting up in bed or on the sofa. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker on an otherwise good cabin but I do seek that information when booking. 

3 minutes ago, Tao Diva said:

I may be an anomaly but does anyone else care if one is forward-facing or aft-facing?

I like to face forward when sitting up in bed or on the sofa. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker on an otherwise good cabin but I do seek that information when booking. 

Agree...

1 hour ago, Tao Diva said:

My (our) only concern is that the bed be by the bathroom....

bon voyage

Marilyn, I just found this thread and was thrilled to see it.  It is an outstanding information source for future Edge cruisers.  I have been playing with the search function and it works great.  I am sure that you will get numerous posts from people who don't read the instructions asking about how to search for a cabin number. :classic_biggrin:

I have used spreadsheet software for over 30 years, but am confused about your posting format instructions. It sounds like you want information entered into rows, but pasted across the columns.  I know that in Excel you can copy and transpose a paste to accomplish this; but if that is you want people to do, you need to clarify it.  It also sounds like you want the info to be put into column A with the other text, since you say to not delete the ":".  Is that really what you want?  I don't use Google sheets that much, so perhaps there is a feature I am not aware of.