Skagway train cancelled

Cruisinamber

for anyone taking an Alaska cruise and is planning on taking the white pass railroad they are currently have rock slides so all the train rides are being canceled and instead are taking people on a tour bus so bummed! :loudcry: I want my money back :loudcry:

for anyone taking an Alaska cruise and is planning on taking the white pass railroad they are currently have rock slides so all the train rides are being canceled and instead are taking people on a tour bus so bummed! :loudcry: I want my money back :loudcry:

Are you implying that the cruise line or tour operator is not offering a refund? That would only seem fair since they are unable to provide the service you booked.

We were in Skagway last week on the Emerald. There was a large rock/land slide at the pier so Noordam had to tender and was blocking our berth. We ended up docking at the Ore dock. We did have to board the train at a different location as some of the cars were damaged from the slide that were parked near the dock.

Thankfully we had a wonderful trip on the train with really nice weather. I guess they must have had more slides since last week.

That is too bad. I did this last year in Alaska and it was definitely one of the major highlights of our entire trip.

When we were in Alaska (2012) instead of taking the train with hundreds of other people, we rented a Jeep from Green Jeep Tours. This is a self-guided (and driven) tour that includes a CD to narrate the trip. They even included a cooler w/snacks and drinks. You go at your own pace. At times the road parallels the railroad. We stopped when we wanted for pictures, etc. We were able to get ahead of the numerous tour buses. It was great. There is really only one place to stop for food and gas (Carcross). Just beyond that is Emerald Lake--very beautiful.

Are all trains canceled or just those that should have gone into the Railroad Dock? The usual Princess policy is to offer an alternative excursion if possible but the passenger always has the option of canceling with a full refund in this situation. If they haven't made that clear to you, you should speak with the Excursion staff.

When we were in Alaska (2012) instead of taking the train with hundreds of other people, we rented a Jeep from Green Jeep Tours. This is a self-guided (and driven) tour that includes a CD to narrate the trip. They even included a cooler w/snacks and drinks. You go at your own pace. At times the road parallels the railroad. We stopped when we wanted for pictures, etc. We were able to get ahead of the numerous tour buses. It was great. There is really only one place to stop for food and gas (Carcross). Just beyond that is Emerald Lake--very beautiful.

We drove the same route twice, once in spring surrounded by snow, once through autumn colors. Amazing both times, and at most stops we were by ourselves in the wilderness. (We used the free version of Murray's Guide.) Unfortunately, car rental in Skagway is sparse and not cheap, especially with the apparent demise of cheapie standby Sourdough Rentals.

We also did the Green Jeep Tour in June of last year and I highly recommend that as an alternative to the train. Go all the way to Emerald Lake to see such beauty! We did the steam engine ride in 2014, which was also great but, being able to stop for pics on your own was a lot of fun!

If you look at the Princess Excursion page for Skagway they have added a new tour called Railroad Building. It is $159 per person but you get to dress up in vintage clothing and with a period shovel or pick axe get to clear a section of railway just like they did back in 1898. Due note it is considered a strenuous excursion. And of course there will be an opportunity for shopping at the gift shop where you can buy your shovel or pick axe.

If you look at the Princess Excursion page for Skagway they have added a new tour called Railroad Building. It is $159 per person but you get to dress up in vintage clothing and with a period shovel or pick axe get to clear a section of railway just like they did back in 1898. Due note it is considered a strenuous excursion. And of course there will be an opportunity for shopping at the gift shop where you can buy your shovel or pick axe.

If they provide dynamite, my husband will be happy to sign up for this new excursion...

if you look at the princess excursion page for skagway they have added a new tour called railroad building. It is $159 per person but you get to dress up in vintage clothing and with a period shovel or pick axe get to clear a section of railway just like they did back in 1898. Due note it is considered a strenuous excursion. And of course there will be an opportunity for shopping at the gift shop where you can buy your shovel or pick axe.

:)

Good one!

Based on your signature I am going to hazard a guess that we have to get to the build site using a push cart. The TNT, as I understand it, is is already on site, but we do get to light the fuse. (Paper, rock, scissors to pick the lightee.) As long as I don't have to shovel snow, I'm signing up for this one.

On the Emereld princess right now, can confirm. They have issued refunds to all affected guests.

If you are looking for things to do in town, you can walk up into town and go to the trail of 98 show if you are looking for something else to do in town. I think they do 3 or 4 shows a day. There is also a National Park HQ near the train station.