Unable to connect to wifi on board

Punam

Anyone here a computer maven? We were on Infinity in Alaska with friends. Everyone other than myself could connect. The guys at the Apple store on board couldn't get me connected either, and said it was due to my laptop's security setting. So we're heading to the Med and my business needs to be checked on while I'm away and I have the same laptop. Any ideas?

What make and model of your laptop?

What operating system are you running?

Are you able to see the Wi-Fi signal?

If you can see and select the ship's Wi-Fi signal, are you able to get the login screen to come up?

What make and model of your laptop?

What operating system are you running?

Are you able to see the Wi-Fi signal?

If you can see and select the ship's Wi-Fi signal, are you able to get the login screen to come up?

HP Spectre, Windows 10

I was able to see the signal. Pretty sure the login screen came up, but it was 2 years ago, so I can't say for sure.

Do you use a VPN? Were you able to get to logon.com (which is the screen that lets you log in)? Are you using the default networking parameters (in other words, are you a techie who makes changes to the system)? What system protection applications/security programs do you run on your laptop? Do you have problems connecting to airport or other public networks with your laptop?

Don’t know what your checking on business consists of but an option would be to use the computers in the ILounge. When through clear out all cookies and history

The other would be to buy a IPad or laptop on board.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Are you self employed or working for a corporation? I worked for a large multinational corporation and security software restricted access to many networks, and many parameters came into play to maintain connectivity, for example even a momentary loss or signal would terminate the connection and lock out reconnection for a certain length of time. our laptops couldn't be taken out of the country, and if necessary for business reasons adjustments had to be made to the security software.

It very well could be security software restrictions as suggested earlier. Discuss it with your IT people.

Do you use a VPN? Were you able to get to logon.com (which is the screen that lets you log in)? Are you using the default networking parameters (in other words, are you a techie who makes changes to the system)? What system protection applications/security programs do you run. on your laptop? Do you have problems connecting to airport or other public networks with your laptop?

No VPN. Not a techie, and have made no changes. I've never tried logging on anywhere else, and that's a great point. I'll try it! Thanks.

No VPN. Not a techie, and have made no changes. I've never tried logging on anywhere else, and that's a great point. I'll try it! Thanks.

head to the nearest Starbucks....let us know what happens :)

HP Spectre, Windows 10

I was able to see the signal. Pretty sure the login screen came up, but it was 2 years ago, so I can't say for sure.

Some of those guys in the Apple store and lab on the Celebrity ships seem to be familiar only with Apple products, not Windows products.

Have you checked out this thread on the HP support forum?

Wifi issues with my HP spectre x360 - HP Support Forum

It has some links to other sources.

Another location that may be of interest (or not)

Fix network connection issues in Windows - Windows Help

Good luck!

Ok, there was no problem logging on at Starbuck's. But that connection isn't secure which makes me wonder if the ship connection is different, and that was the problem? Thanks for any and all help!

I suggest you make sure you have the chrome browser on your system. Sometimes switching browsers helps....sometimes turning wifi off/on helps. One suggestion that often helps if you run into connection problems is to "forget" the ship's network and let your laptop find it again which resets any bad stored values for the network.

The problem has nothing to do with your security settings, assuming you are using any of the common virus protection programs and haven't made any modifications to the default settings (unlikely).

Thanks. I do have Chrome, and Norton (haven't changed anything, you're right) The Apple store guy tried the 'forget' the ship's network, but that didn't help which is when he said it was some sort of security thing on my computer. Here's hoping it was just a weird thing that doesn't happen again on this trip. Many thanks for your help :)

You don't say what windows version you are using. If you are now on Windows 10 you might consider disabling Norton if you have the same problem again. Windows 10 has excellent built in virus protection and you don't really need Norton or other virus protection but that is a personal preference and some feel safer using a separate virus program

If using an older version of windows you could try disabling Norton temporarily to see if it is the problem.

Windows 10, yes. It as disabled while on board, but still couldn't connect. Such a strange thing!

Hi Punam - I'm sorry that you had this problem connecting your Spectre to WiFi on your ship.

It's almost impossible to tell what the problem could have been two years ago without knowing more (and without having the chance to debug the problem while it was happening). It could have been anything from the ship's network configuration, the wireless adapter drivers on the laptop, or something else; but since the problem was connection related, I don't think that the choice of internet browser would have impacted things.

The good news: I will be on Equinox this Saturday (16th June) with my HP Spectre x360. I'll definitely try connecting, and will let you know the results here.

thx! --bruce T.

DISCLAIMER: I am an employee of HP, but my views / opinions and social media posts do not necessarily reflect HP policy.

Hi Punam - I'm sorry that you had this problem connecting your Spectre to WiFi on your ship.

It's almost impossible to tell what the problem could have been two years ago without knowing more (and without having the chance to debug the problem while it was happening). It could have been anything from the ship's network configuration, the wireless adapter drivers on the laptop, or something else; but since the problem was connection related, I don't think that the choice of internet browser would have impacted things.

The good news: I will be on Equinox this Saturday (16th June) with my HP Spectre x360. I'll definitely try connecting, and will let you know the results here.

thx! --bruce T.

DISCLAIMER: I am an employee of HP, but my views / opinions and social media posts do not necessarily reflect HP policy.

Wow, Bruce, can't thank you enough! Yikes, if it was the wireless adapter drivers, I'm lost, but I'll wait to hear back from you before I panic. Have an awesome cruise, and thank again!

We were on Eclipse May 20th crruise and had unlimited WI. The software change was between th March 18th cruise we took for log in. The tech guy in ilounge couldn’t get me me logged in on my iPad and his boss couldn’t. People were going to guest relations since they kept getting unconnected. Tech said one side of ship router was stronger but wasted that perk.

We were on Eclipse May 20th crruise and had unlimited WI. The software change was between th March 18th cruise we took for log in. The tech guy in ilounge couldn’t get me me logged in on my iPad and his boss couldn’t. People were going to guest relations since they kept getting unconnected. Tech said one side of ship router was stronger but wasted that perk.

Can you tell me what you mean by wasted the perk?