Two formal nights necessary?

I think it was on some Radiance ships in 2016. Around $35 including wine

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hmmm...interesting. Didn't see that listed when we did Radiance in August 2016.

We did, however, get invited to a dinner for the top 3 cruisers which was held in Chops with the HD, Beverage Manager, and LA. Was a really nice event with flowing wine and great steaks. Lasted two hours!! :cool: And no charge. ;)

John, maybe they just charged certain people ~ not everybody. LOL
It was discussed at length on CC.

Lots of PC and D+ turned their nose up at it.

They got it for free anyway.

I thought it was an interesting concept.

Others felt they were whoring out the staff.

But isn't that what happens on the 340+ and PC lunches?

Personally, couldn't care less. I do pack a suit and enjoy playing dress-up with my cruise mates (we clean up well), but whether it's one or two nights, or no nights at all... meh. I'm on a cruise. Life is good :-)

Personally, couldn't care less. I do pack a suit and enjoy playing dress-up with my cruise mates (we clean up well), but whether it's one or two nights, or no nights at all... meh. I'm on a cruise. Life is good :-)

Best answer!

That is the best answer ever. Good job and so true.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have been cruising for quite a while and can't honestly recall when Royal Caribbean ever had a formal night. The suggested dress of dark suit and tie does not reflect formal in any sense of the term.

For those who truly want a formal night, If it was up to me, and it isn't, there would be one formal night that would be a pay to attend affair. Perhaps $200 per couple. It would have a strictly defined and enforced dress code and be held in an appropriate venue with a pre dinner cocktail party with hors d' oeuvres. Drinks would be included in the price. There would be an upscale menu. Some of the senior ship's staff would minge and dine with the attendees.

Kind of like what they do on the Prohibition Theme Party on the Oasis Class where everyone dresses up in early 1900 costumes and is served watered down drinks .. all for a $40 cover charge. Smh

We usually chose the second formal night to do a different restaurant for dinner.

That is exactly what we did on our last cruise. However, we dressed as if we were going to the MDR. DH wore his dark suit and I wore a black cocktail dress.

To our delight, nearly everyone in Giovanni's Table was dressed up as well.

Casual Fridays has turned into 7 day casual days. I love seeing all the people dressed to the 9s. I understand those who want to pack light and never wear anything more the shorts and a t-shirt. So be it. But do not have bunch of tables in the MDR with your friends looking like you just spent 4 hours at your local sports bar on formal nights.

Casual Fridays has turned into 7 day casual days. I love seeing all the people dressed to the 9s. I understand those who want to pack light and never wear anything more the shorts and a t-shirt. So be it. But do not have bunch of tables in the MDR with your friends looking like you just spent 4 hours at your local sports bar on formal nights.

I wear knit shirts and khaki's on regular nights and on "formal" nights a button down shirt and slacks.

You can dress up any night. There is no rule you have to and no rule saying you can't. You can have formal but every night if you want. I hate it and I'm glad they don't in force it.

Agree!! And why should we eat the inferior food at Windjammer - no way!! I mean, I'm all for certain restrictions - like no wife beater shirts etc. But this whole pomp and circumstance is not necessary and sometimes downright ridiculous. But as long as we're not forced to do it, it's all good - to each their own!

Agree!! And why should we eat the inferior food at Windjammer - no way!! I mean, I'm all for certain restrictions - like no wife beater shirts etc. But this whole pomp and circumstance is not necessary and sometimes downright ridiculous. But as long as we're not forced to do it, it's all good - to each their own!
Yes exactly. It's not like it's some transatlantic sailing in the 30s where there were classes of people. We are sailing to Bermuda in our bathing suits! [emoji16] I mean there is no reason to get dressed up in a tux or suit.

Yes exactly. It's not like it's some transatlantic sailing in the 30s where there were classes of people. We are sailing to Bermuda in our bathing suits! [emoji16] I mean there is no reason to get dressed up in a tux or suit.

I thought that sailing from Dubai on Royal (equally as hot, if not hotter) but for different cultures around the world it is VERY important that they dress up on formal night.

I was not embellishing my previous post, until you actually see ball gowns and tux’s in the windjammer you don’t realise how important formal night is to some folks.

The difference between that cruise and our Oasis cruise around the Caribbean was as big as it could be. Different demographic of people, different cultures and different itineraries.

In that respect I have a bit of sympathy with Royal trying to adopt a country and fleet wide policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like to freshen up and change into something different from what I have been wearing all day. Even on casual night, a smart pair of trousers and pretty top makes me feel and look good (I hope!) - don't normally wear make up during the day, so nice to smarten up a bit for the evening. Don't wear the heavy formal long dresses I got for our first Queen Mary cruise but like a long light summery dress with pretty evening cardigan.

Hubby just takes a lounge suit instead of dinner jacket and almost impossible to get him to wear a tie these days.

It was discussed at length on CC.

Lots of PC and D+ turned their nose up at it.

They got it for free anyway.

I thought it was an interesting concept.

Others felt they were whoring out the staff.

But isn't that what happens on the 340+ and PC lunches?

Yup! ;)

Though, as you know, seems each ship does it different of course. Sometimes it's just the regular lunch menu offered in the MDR, and sometimes it's a menu of select courses. Either way, it's always a fun thing to do on a sea day and interesting chatting with other pax and our assigned officer of the table.

Yup! ;)

Though, as you know, seems each ship does it different of course. Sometimes it's just the regular lunch menu offered in the MDR, and sometimes it's a menu of select courses. Either way, it's always a fun thing to do on a sea day and interesting chatting with other pax and our assigned officer of the table.

We've had buffets as well.

PC lunch on Mariner was al fresco going thru Suez Canal.

When I first started my career the company had everyone (men and women) dressing in business suits and you had to put on your jacket if you left your immediate work area(cube). So had to wear my jacket to the restroom and to the cafeteria. The more and more I had to wear that thing, the more and more I realized it was just a uniform, like working at McDonald's or being a Good Humor man. Just more expensive. Would go out to lunch and have the workers in their uniforms and since this was a major employer most people eating were from the company. They were in their uniforms too (suits). Getting dressed in the morning, no thought as to what to were except for which tie. Just like putting on the hospital uniform when I washed dishes in the hospital kitchen in high school.

That was 30 years ago and I refuse to wear a suit for anything now. Absolutely hate them. I am in IT and wear shorts and a T-shirt to work everyday. If I put on a pair of Dockers, that is dressed to the 9's for me. If they were required on formal night, RCL would not get our business.

I really don't see how those two go together

Some people get it some don’t I am not going to hold it against you.

Enjoy getting dressed up.

Some people get it some don’t I am not going to hold it against you.

Enjoy getting dressed up.

Thanks, but it just doesn't make sense. [emoji848]

If the MDR is not up to snuff, try a SR.

Chops, Giovanni's, Wonderland, CK, CP150, etc....

I worked at a bank for 5 years and had to wear a jacket and tie everyday. When on our cruises I would lose the tie and jacket. Now that I’m a teacher I wear a dress shirt and dress pants but no tie. This is what I wear to dinner on our cruises. On formal night I’ll bite the bullet and sling a tie on.

But my cruise/dinning experience has never been effected by what others were wearing. It was formal night once and a guy was in denim jean shirts and a T-shirt...and I wish I had the guts that guy did! If I had worn that I would have felt anxiety all night but I did t bother me that that was what he chose to wear to the MDR.

People exert so much energy concerning themselves with what others are doing. As long as it doesn’t effect my safety or well being I’m good.

I really don't think that qualifies as guts.

More like I don't care.

FWIW, I also don't get bent out of shape if my fellow guests do not adhere to the 'suggested' attire.