Elite vs Diamond

Pat&Paul

Well, you get a bag of laundry on Celebrity and pressing of 2 garments. I have never used laundry on RCCL but there may now be a coupon for pressing a garment. Look online at Captain's Club and Diamond benefits on RCCL. I do know that the benefits overall are better on Celebrity.

I just got off a 23 night transpacific on Explorer OTS. The Diamond Lounge "happy hour" ran from 4:30 until 8:00 every single night of the cruise. The drink menu was a little more liberal than on Celebrity, and the spread of hors d'oeuvres was fairly impressive with two rather large tables of various hot foods and cold cheeses, as well as another large table of dessert items.

Celebrity's Elite "happy hour" only runs from 5:00-7:00, skips the first night and the night of the Senior Officer's Party, has a more limited menu of drinks, and a ridiculously limited selection/amount of munchies.

Celebrity gives you 90 minutes of internet to use at anytime throughout the cruise, whereas Royal gives you a single block of 24 hours worth of internet. The previous post covered the laundry. (Just that I would never risk ANY of my clothes there.)

Edited by teecee60

Whilst technically the Diamond cocktail time is better (wider menu, longer time) we found on Allure and Freedom that the lounge was packed from start to finish, really not pleasant. We tried a couple of times at different times and were really unimpressed to the point of not bothering.

At the Elite events the focus seems to be ‘social’, enjoying the company of like minded cruisers. We have access to Michael’s on Celebrity and a premium drinks package but still enjoy the Elite cocktail hour once or twice per cruise. On RC it seemed to be more about getting as many free as possible! Definitely a really nice selection of nibbles on RC but who wants a mini buffet before dining?

As I always point out on these type of threads the Elite drinks are only really good for those who dine early. As late diners we just don't want to get ready for dinner and have our pre-dinner drinks before 7pm - and since there is a dress code it means it's not possible to just pop in wearing casual clothes on the way back from the pool deck/tour

In addition to the Diamond Lounge you will receive 3 drinks loaded to your seapass card which can be used in almost any bar on the ship during the Diamond lounge hours and applies to drinks from the diamond lounge menu.

You also have a dedicated lounge with coffee machine which you can use any time of day and which serves a continental buffet breakfast every day and a concierge to help with queries/bookings who will be in the lounge for two sessions a day. You are also able to each have a free 10x8 photo.

Internet benefits are better with Celebrity, although if you buy a package the equivalent cost of one day's internet will be deducted and laundry benefits are better.

On balance we think Royal's benefits are better than Celebrity, but obviously that relates to us and may not suit other people, and no doubt since this is the Celebrity board most people will disagree with me ;)

Balcony stateroom pricing discount.

And as mentioned, dedicated Diamond Lounge open 3/1/2 hours every night including 1st night and 3 drink coupons loaded nightly on your SeaPass card valid in lounges outside of the DL as optional venues.

At higher levels (D+) free specified ship tours and (Pinnacle) free cruises.

IMO RCI loyalty program is stronger but glad to have Elite benefits when we cruise on Celebrity.

We have 10 X cruises and have been elite on the last 5. Recently, we did our first Royal C. cruise on Explorer of the Seas, 23 day TransPacific from Sydney to Seattle.

The Diamond happy hour on Explorer was great, from 4:30 to 8 and you can order wine with your meal until 8PM. We didn't have to purchase any alcohol at all on the entire cruise.

Celebrity gives you a free bag (for each person) of laundry (something like 20 items), while Royal has a bag, that is slightly smaller and is for underwear, socks, shorts, T-shirts, etc. You have to pay per item if you want trousers or nice shirts laundered. However, the bag is only $25. Still, if diamond, you get a discount. I think we paid $17.50.

• 3 weeks later...
We have 10 X cruises and have been elite on the last 5. Recently, we did our first Royal C. cruise on Explorer of the Seas, 23 day TransPacific from Sydney to Seattle.

The Diamond happy hour on Explorer was great, from 4:30 to 8 and you can order wine with your meal until 8PM. We didn't have to purchase any alcohol at all on the entire cruise.

Celebrity gives you a free bag (for each person) of laundry (something like 20 items), while Royal has a bag, that is slightly smaller and is for underwear, socks, shorts, T-shirts, etc. You have to pay per item if you want trousers or nice shirts laundered. However, the bag is only $25. Still, if diamond, you get a discount. I think we paid $17.50.

Found the answer to my question.

Edited by pchen0

Different benefits appeal to different folks.

For us, the advantage of RCCL is that not only do we get the Diamond Lounge (where, by the way, we've never seen people just there to get as many drinks as possible) plus the 3 drinks per night during the same 3 1/2 hours. You never even need to go to the Lounge if you only desire 3 drinks--about what some people drink in the 2 hours on =X=.

Internet? Advantage Celebrity. Laundry? Advantage Celebrity.

Agree with these comments. We have found that the Diamond Lounge does get much more crowded but it is also much easier to meet other like-minded cruisers. Celebrity uses the Sky Lounge which has great views but is a very large, spread out space.

I was only only Diamond once on a RCCL ship. It was the Empress of the Seas last February. Being a small ship this maybe a aberration. It had no dedicated happy hour area, drinks were loaded on your card ( 3 drinks) and you could go to any venue were they served drinks. That I did like. We had 2 glasses of wine for dinner. Then we always made it to the 7pm show where we had our final drink.

The breakfast was in the MDR as it was noted n the letter they gave you on embarkation day. It was nice. A big buffet with both hot and cold selections but it was open to every one. No one checked your card when entering.Talked to many folks that we sat with and they openly admitted that they were not Diamond. Even with the better selection of food, this was not much different from the OV buffet area. So preferred Celebrity Elite breakfast better. More relaxing with specialty coffees & Bloody Marys.

For the internet, I had difficulty logging on. Because it was a short itinerary (just 5 days), I did not try to track down a IT staff member. No comment on laundry because again just 5 day cruise.

I did ask the room steward for a bath robe, he brought me a really nice heavy bath robe. I commented that this is really fantastic. He said, "you getting this kind of bath robe because you are Diamond level".

Both are good and you'll enjoy/take advantage of both levels. BTW, still never got my pin :)

Edited by Banjo

I was only only Diamond once on a RCCL ship. It was the Empress of the Seas last February. Being a small ship this maybe a aberration. It had no dedicated happy hour area, drinks were loaded on your card ( 3 drinks) and you could go to any venue were they served drinks.

Both are good and you'll enjoy/take advantage of both levels. BTW, still never got my pin :)

You are correct in that as Empress is their oldest ship (only recently purchased back into service) and used for the shorter cruises they are not set up with a Diamond Lounge and therefore are not a good representative to other ships in the fleet.

Regarding the pin, I don't believe you will get one as although you are able to share in the reciprocal benefits with Diamond while on board an RCI ship, you have not earned that tier by sailing on them. It is reciprocal benefits only.

Keep in mind your actual point totals that determine earned tier remain on each line cruised. So your actual earned tier level with RCI is that based on the points you've earned by sailing on their ships. Works the same with Celebrity - reciprocal tier level benefits only.

Agree with these comments. We have found that the Diamond Lounge does get much more crowded but it is also much easier to meet other like-minded cruisers. Celebrity uses the Sky Lounge which has great views but is a very large, spread out space.

On Oasis, they had a great buffet in the Diamond area . Held in a nice lounge. It did get crowded but not all the time.

Dh got his fav scotch, and I always get club soda. Service was excellent

One night we enjoyed the buffet so much and chatting with folks we met, we skipped dinner, which was usually quite disappointing..esp in MDR.

You are correct in that as Empress is their oldest ship (only recently purchased back into service) and used for the shorter cruises they are not set up with a Diamond Lounge and therefore are not a good representative to other ships in the fleet.

Regarding the pin, I don't believe you will get one as although you are able to share in the reciprocal benefits with Diamond while on board an RCI ship, you have not earned that tier by sailing on them. It is reciprocal benefits only.

Keep in mind your actual point totals that determine earned tier remain on each line cruised. So your actual earned tier level with RCI is that based on the points you've earned by sailing on their ships. Works the same with Celebrity - reciprocal tier level benefits only.

I was only joking about the pin.

I only became Diamond Club member Spring of 2017 when I knew I was taking the Empress of the Seas cruise. I was on a trans-Atlantic Eclipse cruise and the Captains Club Hostess signed us up. She was outstanding, she was very outgoing, nice and everywhere. By about the 3rd day of that trans-Atlantic she knew everyone name. I asked if she could sign us up, she said no problem and in a day or two gave us a piece a paper with our Diamond Club membership numbers. I wished I remembered her name. Just prior to the Empress of the Seas cruise I looked over the Diamond perks on Royal website and learned about the pins.

When the Empress made a stop in Costa Maya, 2 other Royal ships were also in port. I believe they were the Independence & Freedom. Comparing the size of the Empress with those 2 ships, you could put 2 Empresses in one of those :). The town, being small, was packed with Royal cruisers. It was here where I noticed the significance of the pins. Folks would pin them on their baseball caps and other garments.

I was only joking about the pin. It was here where I noticed the significance of the pins. Folks would pin them on their baseball caps and other garments.

I get it. But as you can see, us Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle snobs take these pin matters as serious jewelry to be worn to impress!:D;) I will admit to wearing my D+ pin on the "formal" nights on RCI (even though I haven't packed a tie or jacket for the last several RCI cruises) on my shirt collar. But that, too, is fading.

But there are those - in particular it seems with the highest tier members - who frequently wear them 24/7 and who knows why? :) (Guess I need to be prepared for some bashing now....:rolleyes:)

But nonetheless, the reciprocity of benefits is nice, but on balance, the RCI program is stronger with the longer cocktail hours and dedicated Diamond Lounge, plus the balcony discount.

But enjoy Diamond on RCI - in particular on the other ships.

I think that since Royal doesn't offer the beverage package as a "free" perk as does X, the upper end loyalty customers appreciate the longer cocktail hours in the Diamond lounge more. To us, who sail X more than Royal, it really doesn't matter since we rarely sail without the beverage package anyway. We do like the laundry and internet benefit better on X. I think it comes down to what's important to an individual. Whichever it is, I think it's nice that they offer anything. They don't have to. Thanks.

I think that since Royal doesn't offer the beverage package as a "free" perk as does X, the upper end loyalty customers appreciate the longer cocktail hours in the Diamond lounge more. To us, who sail X more than Royal, it really doesn't matter since we rarely sail without the beverage package anyway. We do like the laundry and internet benefit better on X. I think it comes down to what's important to an individual. Whichever it is, I think it's nice that they offer anything. They don't have to. Thanks.

I notice the italics with "free", but just to be clear the beverage package is not free with Celebrity, it is included as a perk in the stateroom rate, which can be backed out to show a no-perk rate without it included. It then is a value decision to include it or not based on that differential. But you are paying for it if you chose to include it.

More importantly, the difference as you indicate is that the Diamond Lounge cocktail hour is a free benefit that is available only to Diamond and higher loyalty members in a dedicated lounge, or other venues with the nightly 3 drink coupons. The beverage packages area available to anyone. For those such as us who do not purchase a beverage package, it is a nice benefit.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Just to be clear the beverage package is not free with Celebrity, it is included as a perk in the stateroom rate, which can be backed out to show a no-perk rate without it included. It then is a value decision to include it or not based on that differential. But you are paying for it if you chose to include it.

More importantly, the difference as you indicate is that the Diamond Lounge cocktail hour is a free benefit that is available only to Diamond and higher loyalty members in a dedicated lounge, or other venues with the nightly 3 drink coupons. The beverage packages area available to anyone. For those such as us who do not purchase a beverage package, it is a nice benefit.

If you re-read my post you'll notice that the word free was in quotes. In some cases it actually is free when given by my TA when their quoted fare is is the same as X no perk fare or less. My point was that some who have not purchased a beverage package on X don't value the cocktail hour on X as much as they might on Royal, who never offer it as an available perk (paid or not). I hope that was clear. I think I even confused myself;)!

I didn't intend to disparage the benefit but explain why it was less important to some on X ships than it is to most on Royal ships. When we sail on Royal we never purchase the beverage package since it wouldn't be cost effective and therefore appreciate the diamond lounge benefits more. We do miss the laundry and internet benefits on Royal though.

Edited by Luvcrusn

If you re-read my post you'll notice that the word free was in quotes. In some cases it actually is free when given by my TA when their quoted fare is is the same as X no perk fare or less. My point was that some who have not purchased a beverage package on X don't value the cocktail hour on X as much as they might on Royal, who never offer it as an available perk (paid or not). I hope that was clear. I think I even confused myself;)!

Yeah I know - saw that and thought I should reference that. If you go back to my post you will see that as you were posting this response I was editing the first line of my post regarding that. Sorry for any confusion - we basically are saying the same thing. :)

Like others have said, balcony discounts are pretty good.

7 day-$225 per cabin

10+ days $325 per cabin

Now they do use Rccl math so you dont quite see the total discount, but still a nice perk.

As for the free perk, even tho I love Celebrity, I usually find it cheaper to book Rccl and buy a drink package then to book with Celebrity with their "free" perk. Case in point, my next cruise Liberty of the Seas Jan 6th;

Liberty Cheapest balcony w C/A discount-$1619 total with taxes and fees

Equinox Cheapest balcony with (perk) drink package- $3650 with taxes and fees

And just in case we want to compare more apples to apples (south FL departures)

Allure cheapest balcony with C/A discount $1793 with taxes and fees.

Usually they aren't that far apart but as you can see, the "free" perk is actually costing you money. But again, it is all Rccl math. :)

Like I said I love Celebrity, I think the "S" class ships are my favorite class of ship, but sometimes they camn really price you out.

Yeah I know - saw that and thought I should reference that. If you go back to my post you will see that as you were posting this response I was editing the first line of my post regarding that. Sorry for any confusion - we basically are saying the same thing. :)

Yes, GO BIRDS!