Princess double charge single occupancy ( partially single )

Happycruiser1601

Hi, I paid a future cruise deposit, booked a short cruise using the $100 deposit only to date. I wish to book a different cruise, cancel the one I have booked (4 days) for a 28 day cruise instead. Will Princess let me transfer the deposit over to the cruise I wish to now book? Or will I lose the $100? ( no big deal if so )

Also, next problem. The 28 day cruise, my hubby wishes to join it not from the start, but 14 days in so joining me the last 14 days. They say he will be charged for the whole trip, no discount for joining after 14 days. This I understand, no problem there. But looks like they want me to pay single supplement for the whole 28 days, so charge me double in other words. So the cruise cost will then total as if 3 people booked, not 2. Is this correct? This cruise leaves LA, goes to Alaska then Japan, Korea and China . Hoping someone can help. Appreciate your time in advance.

Unless they have changed the rules, no, that doesn’t sound right. This was years ago, but I booked and paid for a cruise, and then DH had to work and couldn’t join me until 5 days into a 10 day cruise. No single supplement was charged. As long as Princess is getting their price for the cabin for the whole trip based on double occupancy, there shouldn’t be an additional surcharge. I would ask to speak to a supervisor or the Captain’s Club.

When you cancel a cruise that's been reserved with a future cruise deposit, the deposit is returned to you unless the date for final payment for the cruise has passed. The return of the deposit is handled in one of two ways: (1) If the two-year expiration date for the deposit has passed, the deposit is credited back to your credit card. If the expiration date has not passed, it will be re-deposited to your account, and you can use it for a future cruise. Generally, you can't transfer deposits directly between cruises unless you call Princess for an exception for you to transfer the deposit to the new cruise. Princess agreed to transfer the deposit for me on one occasion for a Canadian Fall foliage cruise because I wanted to go on a smaller Princess ship, so it can be done.

As for the 28 day cruise, ask Princess if you can book the entire cruise for both you and your husband with the understanding that he will join you mid-cruise. That way you would avoid the single supplement. There should be no problem with this arrangement since it's not that uncommon for people to leave cruises early, or join late. It doesn't sound right that you should have to pay the single supplement, and if someone told you this, I would call back and speak with someone else.

Pam told you exactly right.

Unless your current cruise was booked with a "non refundable" deposit, you will get your $100 back. The only question is whether you will get it back as a FCC or the money to your credit card, and she explained the details of that.

Provided the 28 day cruise is booked as a single cruise, you will not pay any single supplement. Your husband will pay for the entire cruise, even if he cruises only half of it. Princess will have received 2 fares for the cabin and that's all they are entitled to. If you book the cruise as B2B segments, you'll pay the supplement for any segments that don't include husband and he'll pay on the segment(s) that do include him.

And if your TA is unable to understand this and giving you incorrect info, I'd find a TA who knows what she is doing before booking! People who market themselves as professionals but hand out incorrect info do not deserve your money!

Are you speaking about the Coral Princess, Sept 19, 2018 voyage, Circle the North Pacific segment L.A. to Shanghi? This cruise is a 28 day segment of a longer circle the Pacific cruise. The segment is only being sold as a 28 day. Therefore, you and your husband would have to pay for the entire cruise. When I looked at the itinerary I don't see where he can disembark after 14 days. If he boards in L.A. he will not be allowed to disembark in Alaska. That is a violation of U.S., law (PVSA). He would be allowed to disembark in Japan. If he boards in Alaska he can disembark in any port starting with Kushiro. He will require special permission from Princess to disembark or embark at any port during the voyage.

You will not pay a single supplement at all, since both of you will have to pay for the entire cruise. Princess does not pro-rate fares for single voyages.

If you cancel you current cruise, and the booking has a refundable deposit, and you are also outside of the final payment window, then your FCD will be returned to your account for use on any other cruise, including the 28 day one.

Are you speaking about the Coral Princess, Sept 19, 2018 voyage, Circle the North Pacific segment L.A. to Shanghi? This cruise is a 28 day segment of a longer circle the Pacific cruise. The segment is only being sold as a 28 day. Therefore, you and your husband would have to pay for the entire cruise. When I looked at the itinerary I don't see where he can disembark after 14 days. If he boards in L.A. he will not be allowed to disembark in Alaska. That is a violation of U.S., law (PVSA). He would be allowed to disembark in Japan. If he boards in Alaska he can disembark in any port starting with Kushiro. He will require special permission from Princess to disembark or embark at any port during the voyage.

Carefully reread the OP's first post, the answer to your question is clearly laid out

Hi, I paid a future cruise deposit, booked a short cruise using the $100 deposit only to date. I wish to book a different cruise, cancel the one I have booked (4 days) for a 28 day cruise instead. Will Princess let me transfer the deposit over to the cruise I wish to now book? Or will I lose the $100? ( no big deal if so )

Also, next problem. The 28 day cruise, my hubby wishes to join it not from the start, but 14 days in so joining me the last 14 days. They say he will be charged for the whole trip, no discount for joining after 14 days. This I understand, no problem there. But looks like they want me to pay single supplement for the whole 28 days, so charge me double in other words. So the cruise cost will then total as if 3 people booked, not 2. Is this correct? This cruise leaves LA, goes to Alaska then Japan, Korea and China . Hoping someone can help. Appreciate your time in advance.

Just book the cabin for two. Then explain that your husband will join you later. Do not book as a solo with someone joining you later.

Happy. Is this cruise able to be booked as 2 separate cruises or only as one 28 day cruise? If 2 then there should be no issues. You will pay a single supplement for the first segment and then the 2nd will be a double. No? You may have to change cabins but this shouldn’t be an issue. May I suggest a different ta? Or a call to a Supervisor at Princess. Don’t settle for the first answer. Go to the top.

if it could be booked as two - which it sounds like it can't - the only savings difference I can see is that the OP would only have to pay one port charge and taxes on the single segment

and may have to change cabins as mentioned above

When you cancel a cruise that's been reserved with a future cruise deposit, the deposit is returned to you unless the date for final payment for the cruise has passed. The return of the deposit is handled in one of two ways: (1) If the two-year expiration date for the deposit has passed, the deposit is credited back to your credit card. If the expiration date has not passed, it will be re-deposited to your account, and you can use it for a future cruise. Generally, you can't transfer deposits directly between cruises unless you call Princess for an exception for you to transfer the deposit to the new cruise. Princess agreed to transfer the deposit for me on one occasion for a Canadian Fall foliage cruise because I wanted to go on a smaller Princess ship, so it can be done.

As for the 28 day cruise, ask Princess if you can book the entire cruise for both you and your husband with the understanding that he will join you mid-cruise. That way you would avoid the single supplement. There should be no problem with this arrangement since it's not that uncommon for people to leave cruises early, or join late. It doesn't sound right that you should have to pay the single supplement, and if someone told you this, I would call back and speak with someone else.

But if you book it as a couple even thought part of it is single, won't you have to pay double gratuities and port charges and taxes?

But if you book it as a couple even thought part of it is single, won't you have to pay double gratuities and port charges and taxes?

That is less expensive than paying for a third person for half the trip at full price.

This is a situation where having a good TA would be helpful.

Princess changed that policy a year or so ago.

If you cancel outside the cancellation penalty period for the cruise you get the FCD back, but if it's within the cancellation penalty period you lose the FCD. Apparently too many people were booking multiple cruises using FCD then cancelling most of them just before final payment.

Princess changed that policy a year or so ago.

If you cancel outside the cancellation penalty period for the cruise you get the FCD back, but if it's within the cancellation penalty period you lose the FCD. Apparently too many people were booking multiple cruises using FCD then cancelling most of them just before final payment.

If they cancelled just before final payment date, then in most cases this is outside the penalty period.

And the small print on FCDs says it is refunded if cruise is cancelled before final payment date.

Edited by caribill

Hi, I paid a future cruise deposit, booked a short cruise using the $100 deposit only to date. I wish to book a different cruise, cancel the one I have booked (4 days) for a 28 day cruise instead. Will Princess let me transfer the deposit over to the cruise I wish to now book?

Please note that if the 28 day cruise is a segment of a world cruise, then the FCD applied to it will be treated differently.

For a world cruise segment the FCD gets you a fare discount of 3% and the cruise deposit will require a payment of 5%. No OBC.

Book for the two of you and DH misses embarkation and has to "catch up" at his own expense of course. That's my story and I'm stickin tuit !!!

No. Book for the two of you and then apply to Princess for DH to have his embarkation date changed to the desired port.