What happens to bedding between cruises?

chimchimtx

Just a few quick comments on some of the things mentioned here.

First, know that zylast has been enjoined by the FDA to stop advertising their products as effective against noro and ebola, since no verified data for these claims have been presented to the FDA.

During a deep clean, all cabins as well as all public spaces are "fogged" with an aerosol of a known agent effective against noro, as per the EPA's list, such as Virkon. Virkon works on all surfaces, soft or hard, and so the upholstery, curtains, and carpeting in the ship are treated at this time. Duvet covers also get a fogging at the same time.

Most ships that I'm familiar with don't use a bedspread, but a duvet with a cover that can be removed after each cruise and washed. If they use a spread, it will be changed weekly and dry cleaned or washed as the material requires.

In cabins that have had reported GI illness, the linens will all be taken in "red bags" (biohazard bags) to the laundry and washed in a separate washer that has been programmed for a hotter wash/rinse cycle and with different chemical settings (detergent, bleach, acid, etc). There is always one "red bag" washer on the ship, and it is used only for this.

Varying from cruise line to cruise line, and embarkation port to port, sometimes additional personnel will be brought onboard during a deep clean to assist the crew. This also happens some times when a USCG inspection is scheduled, since the cabin stewards are tied up with the drill.

• Thanks 1

The ‘stuffing’ of the duvet also gets washed. One cruise all the filling was in the lower right corner of each of the 30 squares of the comforter. The bed looked lumpy. Looked they forgot to add the tennis balls to break up the filling while drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a few quick comments on some of the things mentioned here.

First, know that zylast has been enjoined by the FDA to stop advertising their products as effective against noro and ebola, since no verified data for these claims have been presented to the FDA.

During a deep clean, all cabins as well as all public spaces are "fogged" with an aerosol of a known agent effective against noro, as per the EPA's list, such as Virkon. Virkon works on all surfaces, soft or hard, and so the upholstery, curtains, and carpeting in the ship are treated at this time. Duvet covers also get a fogging at the same time.

Most ships that I'm familiar with don't use a bedspread, but a duvet with a cover that can be removed after each cruise and washed. If they use a spread, it will be changed weekly and dry cleaned or washed as the material requires.

In cabins that have had reported GI illness, the linens will all be taken in "red bags" (biohazard bags) to the laundry and washed in a separate washer that has been programmed for a hotter wash/rinse cycle and with different chemical settings (detergent, bleach, acid, etc). There is always one "red bag" washer on the ship, and it is used only for this.

Varying from cruise line to cruise line, and embarkation port to port, sometimes additional personnel will be brought onboard during a deep clean to assist the crew. This also happens some times when a USCG inspection is scheduled, since the cabin stewards are tied up with the drill.

You not only know what you’re talking about, you put everything so clearly we can understand what you’re saying.

Thank you for taking the time to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

OK, a hypothetical here. Is it possible for the steward to "forget" to change out the duvet and cover or other things? On our last cruise, we seemed to have the most forgetful steward on the ship. For example, the card in our room gave a different name--he explained on the first day that this wasn't him, but it was his first day back from vacation. It wasn't changed for 3 days. He forgot the letter that Passenger Services kept telling me was in our room. That came on day 2 after I asked. The laundry bag came on day 5 when I asked. We complained that the room was too hot. After several trips to PS, they sent a "supervisor" who discovered that our room host had turned the temperature to "max," and this was missed by the first 2 service people who came to the room about the heat.

These were all little things that really didn't affect our enjoyment of the cruise at all....but it does make me wonder what else he "forgot," or just chose to not do.

We always take our own duvet, cover, pillows and mattress protector just to be safe. We have to pay for extra luggage when sailing outside of the U.K. but it’s worth it to avoid catching anything.

OK...reading post...got me thinking...we usually stay in a suite and we have our OWN PERSONAL TOILET BRUSH...does everyone have this in their cabin whether inside, outside or balcony????

Yes.

• 7 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 3:38 PM, 1emerald1 said:

That's exactly right. As posted above I got Noro on the Crown despite having completely wiped down my cabin upon arrival with Clorox wipes. I now buy, through Amazon, Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes, by Clorox and they state to kill all viruses, including Noro. I found a better hand sanitizer, Zylast. In addition I wear disposable gloves throughout the first day of the cruise. I may sound like a freak, but having lost 3 days of a cruise to Noro, it's something I never want to go through again.

We get those same wipes.  They’re available in two ways:  (1) Large canisters which we can take on the plane, and (2) individually wrapped -- 50 in a package, I think.  We can’t take the canisters on the plane, so chose individually wrapped.  Norovirus laughs at “Wet Ones”, Clorox, Purell, etc.

During a "deep clean", all of the soft surfaces that cannot be washed (upholstery, curtains, carpets, throw pillows, etc) will be fogged with Virkon, one of the agents known to kill noro virus.  This fogging is done throughout the ship, and works equally as well on hard surfaces as soft surfaces.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ecs66 said:

We get those same wipes.  They’re available in two ways:  (1) Large canisters which we can take on the plane, and (2) individually wrapped -- 50 in a package, I think.  We can’t take the canisters on the plane, so chose individually wrapped.  Norovirus laughs at “Wet Ones”, Clorox, Purell, etc.

Yes, these will definitely kill just about anything!  You can grab them from Amazon here. Keep in mind, it's hydrogen peroxide which is an oxidizing agent. While this product is a weaker concentration, it will still oxidize and cause your fingers to turn white... for some more sensitive, I'd urge caution... or use gloves.

For hand sanitizer, I use Purell VF481. Also on Amazon, just search by VF481. It only comes in large bottles. It has two alcohols and it has additional ingredients to prevent it from dissipating quickly... it's the TIME on your hands that's needed to kill noro. See here for the testing done on the norovirus with this formula. VF481 is the newest formulation. I take the large dispensers and fill smaller pump bottles, then fill the small pocket bottles. Some people don't like it because it's slimier... but that's the point! :classic_biggrin:

Edited by CruisingIsBest

On 6/26/2018 at 11:52 AM, moki'smommy said:

OK, a hypothetical here. Is it possible for the steward to "forget" to change out the duvet and cover or other things? On our last cruise, we seemed to have the most forgetful steward on the ship. For example, the card in our room gave a different name--he explained on the first day that this wasn't him, but it was his first day back from vacation. It wasn't changed for 3 days. He forgot the letter that Passenger Services kept telling me was in our room. That came on day 2 after I asked. The laundry bag came on day 5 when I asked. We complained that the room was too hot. After several trips to PS, they sent a "supervisor" who discovered that our room host had turned the temperature to "max," and this was missed by the first 2 service people who came to the room about the heat.

These were all little things that really didn't affect our enjoyment of the cruise at all....but it does make me wonder what else he "forgot," or just chose to not do.

I think it would be pretty obvious if they forgot to change out the duvet cover.  It gets pretty rumpled looking by the end of the cruise.  

On 6/22/2018 at 2:37 PM, Red Rock Feaver said:

Wow! Take your Clorox wipes on board and wipe everything down before you unpack even though they say it has been sanitized. We wipe everything that the house keeping has touched.

NO, do not do this thinking your accomplishing anything. You would have to immerse the object in bleach for 5 minutes to kill Noro. As stated, blankets are not the standard. Sheets, pillow cases and duvet covers washed bleach, hot water and then very high temps of steam ironing machines.