Norwegian vs Royal Caribbean

lolomia

A mat-tai was $1 extra. A MAI-TAI. IT'S A TROPICAL DRINK! Not that $1 is terrible, but I obviously wasn't going to be drinking mai-tais all day. Especially when I had paid so much for it, since it wasn't included on RCCL. I was just shocked at the amount of pay-extra drinks were on menus and not included.

Reading this is very confusing to me. While I've never been on Jewel, I've been on several Oasis class ships and drinks up to $13 are included in the package. The ONLY thing that I ever had to pay a few bucks extra for was a cheesecake martini. Every other cocktail, including martinis, was priced at $13 or less. I did see some glasses of wine that cost extra, but I didn't go for any of those.

A mai thai is a very standard drink and does not require super premium liquors, certainly nothing that's not included on this list. It's typically made with Captain Morgan and Malibu. No extra charge for those, that's for sure. I'm not even sure a super premium spiced rum and coconut rum even exist. There's not really a point for that type of liquor. And if it does exist...it would be a complete waste to use in a mixed drink. Really the only way I could see you paying more for such a basic drink is if it were served in a souvenir glass. If that were the case...just ask for a regular glass.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/data/dining/deluxe-beverage-packages-cruises.pdf

Reading this is very confusing to me. While I've never been on Jewel, I've been on several Oasis class ships and drinks up to $13 are included in the package. The ONLY thing that I ever had to pay a few bucks extra for was a cheesecake martini. Every other cocktail, including martinis, was priced at $13 or less. I did see some glasses of wine that cost extra, but I didn't go for any of those.

A mai thai is a very standard drink and does not require super premium liquors, certainly nothing that's not included on this list. It's typically made with Captain Morgan and Malibu. No extra charge for those, that's for sure. I'm not even sure a super premium spiced rum and coconut rum even exist. There's not really a point for that type of liquor. And if it does exist...it would be a complete waste to use in a mixed drink. Really the only way I could see you paying more for such a basic drink is if it were served in a souvenir glass. If that were the case...just ask for a regular glass.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/data/dining/deluxe-beverage-packages-cruises.pdf

I have to agree with you. The drinks on the menus were almost always priced to be included in the plan on Royal. The only drink we paid a buck or two extra for was a specialty drink near the pool that came in a souvenir type cup. In fact, nearly everything we ordered on Royal was included, surprisingly. We were TRYING to go above and beyond... it became a game. Patron Anejo? Here ya go! Gentlemen Jack? Sure! I was worried when they added the $13 limit but it proved to be trivial.

Contrast that with NCL, ugh. Gentlemen Jack, "sorry, not included".... and I didn't even bother after that.

I do not have a huge experience having sailed NCL Getaway (will sail Breakaway in December) and Oasis of the Sea. These are our observations and why we are coming back to NCL and will probably stick to them if we find the right itinerary with them:

1- You do not really see the ocean on the Oasis. Waterfront on NCL is a huge plus for us being able to sit there with the kids, eat at one of the restaurant that has direct view with the sea and outside.

2- Rooms are similar, finding NCL bathroom a little bit smaller. However, find the steward much nicer in NCL. Called the RCL steward 2 times later in the night (around 8-9PM) and never got an answer (just 1 of each so RCL might just be one off).

3- Entertainment is more ''grandiose'' on RCL. However, there is so much that we found out that we rarely had any nights off to relax wanting to do everything.

4- Food: We feel that the MDR food is similar in both but the buffet food much better on NCL. Also, service in NCL was faster and more personal than being on RCL. Had dinner on RCL MDR that lasted 2hrs... which is not the best with young kids. Also, eating outside in the buffet is a plus for us.

5- Pools, slides and activities: Close call but our kids preferred NCL (waterslides). However, pools on NCL are really small compared to RCL.

6- Crowd control: similar with both. However, more kids on NCL than RCL. Passengers were as friendly with kids on both.

7- Perks: Like a lot the perks for NCL. For example, we have the Breakaway in December out of NOLA with drinks, specialty dining, 250min internet and 50$ credit for excursion per stops for 3,800 CAD. Had Oasis out of Port Canaveral for 3,600 CAD without anything else... similar but having the drinks included is a nice one.

Overall both are goods, but we found out that being able to walk on the waterfront, dining on the waterfront and seeing more ocean is better for us. We do not hate RCL, but prefer RCL for the moment.

Contrast that with NCL, ugh. Gentlemen Jack, "sorry, not included".... and I didn't even bother after that.

On my last NCL sailing I found it very peculiar what was and wasn't included. For example: Vodka. Titos, Absolut and Kettle One - included. Grey Goose and Belvedere - FIVE DOLLAR UP CHARGE. That makes absolutely no sense. Sure, by the bottle, Grey Goose and Belvedere are slightly more expensive than Kettle One. So maybe $1 up-charge...I guess? But $5? That was a head scratcher.

I was also very annoyed that NOTHING was served straight. I like to sip on whiskey, but was told that was not allowed. They let me get away with it if I agreed to ONE ice cube placed in the glass. Bizarre.

Hello everyone, im sure this has been talked about but looking for very recent comparisons between royal caribbean and norwegian. We enjoyed royals food and service, i have read so many negatives on norwegian but can somone out there tell me what ship they tried epic? and did they try royal caribbean oasis class which we love an how does epic compare , food quality in dining room and buffet, cabins, service and entertainment more recent comparsions please

just nervous to try norwegian but they have a really good promo on right now giving all perks and the suites are only 1600.00 per person for europe

I have sailed the RCL Ovation and it is a good ship. I have also sailed NCL Epic and like it also. NCL is different than other cruise lines, in that it is more relaxed as for dress at dinner and also not having set dinner times. This way you are not rushed and feel like that you are on a schedule. Everyone that I know thinks the food on NCL is the best, especially the buffet.

On my last NCL sailing I found it very peculiar what was and wasn't included. For example: Vodka. Titos, Absolut and Kettle One - included. Grey Goose and Belvedere - FIVE DOLLAR UP CHARGE. That makes absolutely no sense. Sure, by the bottle, Grey Goose and Belvedere are slightly more expensive than Kettle One. So maybe $1 up-charge...I guess? But $5? That was a head scratcher.

I was also very annoyed that NOTHING was served straight. I like to sip on whiskey, but was told that was not allowed. They let me get away with it if I agreed to ONE ice cube placed in the glass. Bizarre.

4-7 Escape sailing, zero upcharge for Grey Goose...

I do not have a huge experience having sailed NCL Getaway (will sail Breakaway in December) and Oasis of the Sea. These are our observations and why we are coming back to NCL and will probably stick to them if we find the right itinerary with them:

1- You do not really see the ocean on the Oasis. Waterfront on NCL is a huge plus for us being able to sit there with the kids, eat at one of the restaurant that has direct view with the sea and outside.

2- Rooms are similar, finding NCL bathroom a little bit smaller. However, find the steward much nicer in NCL. Called the RCL steward 2 times later in the night (around 8-9PM) and never got an answer (just 1 of each so RCL might just be one off).

3- Entertainment is more ''grandiose'' on RCL. However, there is so much that we found out that we rarely had any nights off to relax wanting to do everything.

4- Food: We feel that the MDR food is similar in both but the buffet food much better on NCL. Also, service in NCL was faster and more personal than being on RCL. Had dinner on RCL MDR that lasted 2hrs... which is not the best with young kids. Also, eating outside in the buffet is a plus for us.

5- Pools, slides and activities: Close call but our kids preferred NCL (waterslides). However, pools on NCL are really small compared to RCL.

6- Crowd control: similar with both. However, more kids on NCL than RCL. Passengers were as friendly with kids on both.

7- Perks: Like a lot the perks for NCL. For example, we have the Breakaway in December out of NOLA with drinks, specialty dining, 250min internet and 50$ credit for excursion per stops for 3,800 CAD. Had Oasis out of Port Canaveral for 3,600 CAD without anything else... similar but having the drinks included is a nice one.

Overall both are goods, but we found out that being able to walk on the waterfront, dining on the waterfront and seeing more ocean is better for us. We do not hate RCL, but prefer RCL for the moment.

Out of curiosity, why on earth would one find the need to call their Cabin steward after day 2 - let alone after 8 pm?

Just nervous to try norwegian but they have a really good promo on right now giving all perks and the suites are only 1600.00 per person for europe

That price alone says to me you should try NCL!!!:D

Everyone has a different opinion. I won't go back to Royal after the experience NCL has given me. That's my opinion. I think you should try NCL at that deal and then decide for yourself. Can not beat NCL haven or suite perks. Far superior to Royal IMHO.

To be fair, NCL has the neverending free at sea promotions which can make the drink package free. Though when comparing prices, you may find ncl higher due to these "free" promotions being hidden in the fare.

Drink package is a must for me so that is something I consider. Free happy hour drinks doesn't cut it for me, though it's an awesome perk for many others.

I know some people drink even more than we do on a cruise. I have read on cc boards of guys that start drinking with breakfast and drink a case of beer a day. I never did that even in college. Not sure what your liver's life expectancy is at that rate.

Still, I know that some like more than the happy hour on RCI or Celebrity offers.

It still amazes me what these drink packages cost. NCL inflates the cost of the overall fare. I hate it, it make cruising more expensive.

I think NCL says the drink packages are worth something like $70 a day or more and paying the 20% you pay about $85 a day. We did transatlantic cruise last November for 15 days and our balcony cabin cost $1200 pp, that was on Celebrity (they don't bundle on transatlantics) That fare amounted to $80 per day for a person. When people are willing to pay more for booze than the fare for a cruise, I just don't get it. Prior to NCL bunding, I used to buy a 10 bottle wine deal for about $290 and we would only spend about $100 more than that for the entire two week cruise. Now, I can't buy the wine package, so I buy some wine and pay the $15 corkage per bottle. We have plenty to drink during the cruise, since we don't start drinking until just before dinner.

Note that Harmony and Symphony both have several waterslides and all of them are kid friendly. On NCL Escape, the only kid friendly slide was the tube slide, which was outstanding, but the drop slides were too aggressive. Harmony and Symphony also have the really cool dry slide on the back of the ship.

I never could understand the whole "you don't see the water on Oasis" thing. While I really enjoyed the waterfront and consider it a killer feature, I felt like I saw the ocean about the same amount on Oasis and Escape. Dining on the waterfront is awesome, but I'm not booking a cruise for that, personally. And besides the waterfront, the venues generally were all inward facing with no ocean views and the pool/activity decks felt more enclosed on Escape than Oasis with less views as well.

I can't argue about the perks and pricing on NCL, they do give you quite a bit. But you get what you pay for. The internet on Oasis is FAR better (you can stream Netflix, fast) and the drink package is better, too. For the internet on NCL, we need unlimited and it was so expensive to upgrade it wasn't far off from what we paid on Royal! In your case, it would be $1000 extra or so for drinks and internet, etc. So I get it if that's a deal breaker.

I know some people drink even more than we do on a cruise. I have read on cc boards of guys that start drinking with breakfast and drink a case of beer a day. I never did that even in college. Not sure what your liver's life expectancy is at that rate.

Still, I know that some like more than the happy hour on RCI or Celebrity offers.

It still amazes me what these drink packages cost. NCL inflates the cost of the overall fare. I hate it, it make cruising more expensive.

I think NCL says the drink packages are worth something like $70 a day or more and paying the 20% you pay about $85 a day. We did transatlantic cruise last November for 15 days and our balcony cabin cost $1200 pp, that was on Celebrity (they don't bundle on transatlantics) That fare amounted to $80 per day for a person. When people are willing to pay more for booze than the fare for a cruise, I just don't get it. Prior to NCL bunding, I used to buy a 10 bottle wine deal for about $290 and we would only spend about $100 more than that for the entire two week cruise. Now, I can't buy the wine package, so I buy some wine and pay the $15 corkage per bottle. We have plenty to drink during the cruise, since we don't start drinking until just before dinner.

For our upcoming Allure cruise, I paid $44/day for the drink package. That's not bad at all and about 4 mixed drinks breakeven.

A few things to note. Royal gives you unlimited bottle water in the package (NCL does not). That adds up. Special coffees as well. A typical day I'll do 10 - 15 drinks. That sounds crazy I guess, but for me, hanging out and drinking is a big part of my cruising experience. I love having a drink in my hands most of the time, even if just sipping, when I'm cruising.

Consider a mimosa at breakfast, maybe a drink or 2 around lunch. Then 2 or 3 throughout the afternoon. 1 or 2 glasses of wine at dinner and another 2 or 3 drinks in the evening whether at a show or hanging around. Heck, one day we did 6 or 7 drinks at the Bionic bar, lol, EACH.... Didn't finish them all but wanted to keep trying different ones. That's included in the package, too! So we just kept that robot working for about an hour or two. It was fun.

Would I drink 15 long islands? No. Lol. But single shot whiskeys are really pretty tame and when spread out through the entire day, it's barely a buzz unless you load up in one sitting.

Would I drink 15 long islands? No. Lol. But single shot whiskeys are really pretty tame and when spread out through the entire day, it's barely a buzz unless you load up in one sitting.

You sound like a fellow professional. Cheers! :whiskey-glass:

I have to agree with you. The drinks on the menus were almost always priced to be included in the plan on Royal. The only drink we paid a buck or two extra for was a specialty drink near the pool that came in a souvenir type cup. In fact, nearly everything we ordered on Royal was included, surprisingly. We were TRYING to go above and beyond... it became a game. Patron Anejo? Here ya go! Gentlemen Jack? Sure! I was worried when they added the $13 limit but it proved to be trivial.

I was on the Jewel OTS just 2 months ago, and I definitely enjoy drinking on my cruises, so trust me...I know. The package limit is $13 on the Oasis class ships, but $12 on the smaller class ships. However, the prices are comparable, as they are inflated $1 each on the Oasis ships. I did research on here and online, including looking at bar menus people posted. The menus are divided into classic, premium, and signature cocktails, each priced at $9.5, $12, and $14 respectively. So basically, all of the signature cocktails were not included, even though the individual liquors in them would have been. And not souvenir glasses. It was just silly honestly.

When I asked about a mai-tai, he said it was extra because they make a "royal mai-tai." I asked if he could make just a regular, not-royal one, and he just laughed. So I just paid the extra.

Also...I drink Gentleman Jack, and I drank it on my NCL cruises with the package. The only liquors not included on NCL were some of the more expensive Patrons/Remys/Hennessys, as well as Macallan and Glenmorangie.

Hearing all of this makes me feel that it's bartender-dependent, which it shouldn't be. But I digress...

Lobster tail ( or TAILS, I usually get 3 or 4 ;) ) is complimentary in the MDR 1 night on 7 night sailings on RCL Oasis class ships. Carnival does not offer it complimentary. NCL, I've only been on Sun, which did not offer it in MDR, but I can't speak for the other NCL ships. I will say though, complimentary food on the Sun was inferior in every way to an Oasis class ship. I know in regards to quality of ship it is comparing apples to oranges, but if the Sun's complimentary food is on-par with other NCL ships, you're going to be disappointed if you're used to complimentary on RCL.

Carnival offers lobster on all cruises of 6 nights or longer on the first "elegant" night which is usually day 2.

Bill

All suites come with butlers. On Royal only Star class has the Genie.

NCL offers alcohol packages and dining packages “included” to their low end suites, where on RCL that’s an add-on.

Most Havens have an outdoor dining area.

Star Class is more all-inclusive, but also more expensive. The rooms are also much larger than NCL.

Considering the pool decks on Royal are larger with better pools, I’d say the courtyard is a huge bonus.

In general, I prefer NCL’s Suite class, but Royal’s is great too. NCL is generally cheaper for suites.

This pretty much sums up the reason for my comment. You can get a lower-end suite on NCL and still feel special with the butler service. On Royal, where we've had a GS and OS, other than the nice rooms - we didn't feel like we feel as suite passengers on NCL (so much so, that on subsequent Royal cruises, we've opted for two balconies instead of one suite). I have no doubt that Royal's Star/Genie class trumps them all but the price of those is out of reach for most people. It's nice that you get butler/concierge service on NCL in anything above a JS.

Don't be nervous, sailed Royal a couple of times. Better perks on NCL and their MDR and buffet food are just as good as Royal's.

would agree: in fact, though I have to admit it has been awhile since we have cruised RCI, I actually like the food on NCL better. OP, take reviews with a grain of salt. An example: about a week or two ago someone reviewed their Sun cruise. Almost everything they said was negative, including saying the buffet was totally unsanitery.(spelling) Now, we read a review posted just a while ago about how clean the public areas are. All you can do is check it out and go with an open mind. The reason we now cruise NCL only has to do with finances, health issues and choices. We have reached a stage in our lives where we no longer can cruise more than about once a year so have found our nitch with NCL.

This pretty much sums up the reason for my comment. You can get a lower-end suite on NCL and still feel special with the butler service. On Royal, where we've had a GS and OS, other than the nice rooms - we didn't feel like we feel as suite passengers on NCL (so much so, that on subsequent Royal cruises, we've opted for two balconies instead of one suite). I have no doubt that Royal's Star/Genie class trumps them all but the price of those is out of reach for most people. It's nice that you get butler/concierge service on NCL in anything above a JS.

For us, we couldn't figure out the point of the butler. He dropped off a tray of snacks each afternoon. That's it. We couldn't even think of anything for him to do as we don't eat meals in our cabin. So the butler had no value to me. But obviously others do like the extra service.

I was on the Jewel OTS just 2 months ago, and I definitely enjoy drinking on my cruises, so trust me...I know. The package limit is $13 on the Oasis class ships, but $12 on the smaller class ships. However, the prices are comparable, as they are inflated $1 each on the Oasis ships. I did research on here and online, including looking at bar menus people posted. The menus are divided into classic, premium, and signature cocktails, each priced at $9.5, $12, and $14 respectively. So basically, all of the signature cocktails were not included, even though the individual liquors in them would have been. And not souvenir glasses. It was just silly honestly.

When I asked about a mai-tai, he said it was extra because they make a "royal mai-tai." I asked if he could make just a regular, not-royal one, and he just laughed. So I just paid the extra.

Also...I drink Gentleman Jack, and I drank it on my NCL cruises with the package. The only liquors not included on NCL were some of the more expensive Patrons/Remys/Hennessys, as well as Macallan and Glenmorangie.

Hearing all of this makes me feel that it's bartender-dependent, which it shouldn't be. But I digress...

I had to look up bar menus and it's just as you say. A couple signature drinks they charge extra for, including the Mai Tai! That's dumb. I'm really curious about my upcoming cruise now. When I sailed Harmony last year the ultimate drinks were $13, so basically everything was covered by the package.

On NCL, I tried to order gentlemen jack at both the Haven bar and spice, both told me no. Maybe prices change per sailing? I have no idea but definitely limits on the type of alcohol. And not being able to get a bottle of water on the package was lousy.

That happened to me on the sky and I said that in a post here that asked about shots on the ship and I don’t think people believed me. This was in January, I wanted Jameson straight (wanted to put it in my tea, my throat was killing me from all the air conditioning) and they would only give it me over ice. Even when I said I was mixing it with the tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For us, we couldn't figure out the point of the butler. He dropped off a tray of snacks each afternoon. That's it. We couldn't even think of anything for him to do as we don't eat meals in our cabin. So the butler had no value to me. But obviously others do like the extra service.

The butler ran my bath for me each night and read a book to me until I fell asleep.

That happened to me on the sky and I said that in a post here that asked about shots on the ship and I don’t think people believed me. This was in January, I wanted Jameson straight (wanted to put it in my tea, my throat was killing me from all the air conditioning) and they would only give it me over ice. Even when I said I was mixing it with the tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ironically, that's exactly what I wanted, Jameson. And same as you, had to have an ice cube.

There was a group of college kids that wanted straight fireball whiskey. Bartender said no. I watched him serve each one with an ice cube in it, and then the kids strained the alcohol into another cup, leaving the ice cube behind. Not sure if that's a policy on every NCL ship, but it's absolutely pointless.

I think your experience was a bit different as you were on a strictly booze cruise. This isn't like other standard cruises. I know my husband always get his scotch drinks, neat. I never paid much attention to what "neat" meant until our last cruise when I ordered him a drink and he reminded me he wanted it "neat"

Edited by newmexicoNita

The butler ran my bath for me each night and read a book to me until I fell asleep.

That was funny. I agree with BNBR that a butler can be totally not essential for those of us who don't need or want all of that extra attention. Like I need the random sweet snacks brought at 3PM each day.