Stickers on Stateroom Door

emory2001

Wow, don't know what ships or cruise lines you use, but many of the mass market mega ships have balloons and birthday/anniversary posters plastered on up to about 1/2 of the doors. Don't see how a couple of magnets on a door can impact the ambiance, considering what the cruise line does with posters & balloons..

Wow, don't know what ships or cruise lines you use, but I cruise mostly with Princess, HAL and Celebrity. I rarely see people decorating their doors. Maybe 1 in a 100 if even that much. Your "1/2" claim is quite the stretch. Even on the few Disney cruises I have been on, less that 20% had decorations. Your adeptness at exaggeration is quite impressive.

BTW - we have a small flag, which we zap strap onto the mailbox. We have received numerous compliments from many of our neighbours, as it helps them identify the general area of their cabin. Many have mention they exit the lift and check for the side that has the flag, so they know they are on the correct side of the ship.

Many? Yeah, right. I doubt that you even talk to "many" of your neighbors, much less get "numerous compliment" from "many" of them. You are quite the spinner of tales, aren't you?

I can play that game as well. Many of my neighbors agree how nice it is not to have gaudy decorations on 1/2 the doors along our hallway. ;p

For the bulkheads inside, we use small magnets or 3M Command strips, which are really secure, but are easily removed and leave no residue. You could also use command strips to secure something to your door.

Inside bulkheads are the best place to attache your decorations. That way you can enjoy them whenever you are in your room for extended periods of time. Placing them outside, you only enjoy them for a minute or two as you unlock your door. Why go through all the trouble if you can't enjoy them for longer periods. (y)

Personally I see no need to adorn a hotel room, as we are only there for 1 or 2 days, but our next cruise is 119 nights, so yes we do personalise our home away from home.

I see no difference in a 2 night stay at a hotel or a 119 night stay on a cruise ship. If it is enjoyable, why not do it at every chance? Or do you not do it because you suspect that you will get into trouble in a hotel? :confused:

So, because someone has a different opinion than yours, you call them names? Very judgmental on your part.

Sorry! I didn’t realize I quoted you. I certainly didn’t intend to call you out specifically. I sometimes forget that words aren’t taken as lightly on the internet (I think the kids call it “triggered”) as in person.

Every cruise I’ve been on has had the option to prepurchase door decorations. Including door magnets. I didn’t realize that that was not common. It sounds like you haven’t seen them in your cruises. Maybe I’m the ignorant Iris!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Way to go!! Making extra work for the staff is selfish and mean spirited

You clearly haven’t read the whole thread, or even just the beginning of it. Anyone who even read my original post would know my intent was never to create extra work for anyone, and the first person to respond offered a viable solution, which I thanked them for. I seriously thought that would be the end of it. There is a lot of mean-spirited in this thread but it’s not from me.

And yes, we’re going to have our fun things on our stateroom door AAALLLL the way at the front of the ship where virtually no one else has to see them unless they walk all the way down that hall. Be thankful you’re not cruising with me because it would for sure ruin your trip. Might want to stay away from Royal Caribbean and Disney in general because there’s a whole Etsy market for cruise door decor for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure wouldn't decorate a door -- I'm too lazy. I sure don't get bothered if I walk by a door that is decorated.

There are a whole type of people who need to be offended. Some folks had to pile it on pretty deep to come up with reasons to be offended by door decorations.

I sure wouldn't decorate a door -- I'm too lazy. I sure don't get bothered if I walk by a door that is decorated.

There are a whole type of people who need to be offended. Some folks had to pile it on pretty deep to come up with reasons to be offended by door decorations.

How ironic that you are so offended by those people that you have to criticize them. I fail to see why people who object to door decorations should be considered worse than the people who object to those people. The first group objects to inanimate, impersonal objects. The second group objects to actual people. It's worse than "the pot calling the kettle black". :rolleyes:

On my last cruise we woke up to our door being decorated by our cruise mates that we had met on a previous cruise. We thought it was fantastic and never had trouble finding our stateroom the whole cruise. I think it was such a special thing that our friends did and I'm planning on using the magnets again on the next cruise.

Why would anyone need d decorations on their cabin door in order to identify their cabin? They are all numbered, in consecutive order If you can count, , why i is it hard to find your cabin ? Do you put stickers on hotel l rorom doors? Do you wonder if your neighbors

The ambiance of the corridors is not a top reason I book a particular cruise line. If a few magnets helps someone find their door, great. The only times I've decorated our cabin door has been for holiday cruises. There are a lot of decorated ones then. We've also had the decorations supplied by the cruise line--posters and balloons for anniversaries and birthdays.

Wow, don't know what ships or cruise lines you use, but I cruise mostly with Princess, HAL and Celebrity. I rarely see people decorating their doors. Maybe 1 in a 100 if even that much. Your "1/2" claim is quite the stretch. Even on the few Disney cruises I have been on, less that 20% had decorations. Your adeptness at exaggeration is quite impressive.

Many? Yeah, right. I doubt that you even talk to "many" of your neighbors, much less get "numerous compliment" from "many" of them. You are quite the spinner of tales, aren't you?

I can play that game as well. Many of my neighbors agree how nice it is not to have gaudy decorations on 1/2 the doors along our hallway. ;p

Inside bulkheads are the best place to attache your decorations. That way you can enjoy them whenever you are in your room for extended periods of time. Placing them outside, you only enjoy them for a minute or two as you unlock your door. Why go through all the trouble if you can't enjoy them for longer periods. (y)

I see no difference in a 2 night stay at a hotel or a 119 night stay on a cruise ship. If it is enjoyable, why not do it at every chance? Or do you not do it because you suspect that you will get into trouble in a hotel? :confused:

Having worked for P&O/Princess as a Navigator for a number of years and also sailed with them as a pax for a total of almost 40yrs, I suggest I probably have a little more experience than most with this company. As stated, the balloons & posters, which appear on the doors daily, are installed by the ship Not individual pax. I believe I stated UP to about 1/2 of doors are adorned by posters/balloons. Since they are rarely removed, by the end of many of our cruises they are very common. At No time did I state 50% of pax decorate their doors.

Regarding your response to my comment on our flag. Your uninformed comment is again way off base. You have no idea who we are or how many neighbours we know on a ship. Fact - on our recent WC our flag was a conversation topic and many others on board adorned their mail box.

Can't agree there is no difference between a 2-night stay or 119 nights. We don't apply material to hotel room bulkheads, as we have never stayed long enough to justify it and magnets don't tend to work. However, when cruising in excess of 100 days, the cabin is our home away from home, so we personalise it. Many others on World Cruises or Grand Voyages do the same. Fact - yes, we have visited many other cabins for drinks on the WC or other longer cruises.

I also note that you should possibly read a post more thoroughly before responding, as I stated we secure a small flag to our mailbox and decorate inside the cabin. Did not mention putting anything on the door, but suggested 3M Command strips would work for the OP, rather than stickers.

Having worked for P&O/Princess as a Navigator for a number of years and also sailed with them as a pax for a total of almost 40yrs, I suggest I probably have a little more experience than most with this company. As stated, the balloons & posters, which appear on the doors daily, are installed by the ship Not individual pax. I believe I stated UP to about 1/2 of doors are adorned by posters/balloons. Since they are rarely removed, by the end of many of our cruises they are very common. At No time did I state 50% of pax decorate their doors.

Regarding your response to my comment on our flag. Your uninformed comment is again way off base. You have no idea who we are or how many neighbours we know on a ship. Fact - on our recent WC our flag was a conversation topic and many others on board adorned their mail box.

Can't agree there is no difference between a 2-night stay or 119 nights. We don't apply material to hotel room bulkheads, as we have never stayed long enough to justify it and magnets don't tend to work. However, when cruising in excess of 100 days, the cabin is our home away from home, so we personalise it. Many others on World Cruises or Grand Voyages do the same. Fact - yes, we have visited many other cabins for drinks on the WC or other longer cruises.

I also note that you should possibly read a post more thoroughly before responding, as I stated we secure a small flag to our mailbox and decorate inside the cabin. Did not mention putting anything on the door, but suggested 3M Command strips would work for the OP, rather than stickers.

Not sure why the ship would attach balloons and posters to so many doors. I thought P&O was a cruise line, not a child care facility. :D.

You have given me more reasons NOT to cruise on P&O. ;)

We never decorate our cabin or our cabin door. It is not something that we would never even consider doing.

We could really care less if someone else wants to do it. No harm whatsoever. If it gives the little ones a thrill then what is the harm?

Why would anyone be the least bit upset at a few balloons pasted on someone's door or a magnet or two?

Without jumping into the judgment fray about door decorating, I would simply like to advise the OP to tell their kids to always double-check the cabin number even after finding the door with your magnets on it, in case other passengers move the magnets to the cabin next door as a practical joke. Seems like I heard on here once about someone wondering why their key card didn't work before they noticed their door marker had been moved down a door or two.

I have been on a few cruises since my first in 1982. Noticed this on a transatlantic cruise few years ago. Thought it was cute. I had no plans to decorate our two cabins on Carnival Freedom Nov 10. But now I think I will. Great idea.

Edited by Sailing Sylvia
Correct date i first noticed door decorations

Do you people also decorate doors in hotels? :confused:

*snort* Yup. Kids (even teens) love to have a poster encouraging their best at state and regional meets left on their hotel door. They also get a kick out of the number of people who wish them luck when they see the poster. And then there are the other hotel guests who take pictures and comment that they wish they had thought of it of doing it for their kids/grandkids. In fact, I can honestly say I've never heard one sour word about decorating our hotel doors. :D

OP - some will approve. Some will disapprove. Don't wait for the popular vote. I think you've gotten several ideas for hanging your decorations that won't damage the door. I can tell you that Wal-Mart used to carry the sheet magnets if you need to affix one to your sticker.

How ironic that you are so offended by those people that you have to criticize them. I fail to see why people who object to door decorations should be considered worse than the people who object to those people. The first group objects to inanimate, impersonal objects. The second group objects to actual people. It's worse than "the pot calling the kettle black". :rolleyes:

You make a good point. But, I wasn't offended by anyone. I probably was "objecting" but really don't even mean to do that. Just saying some folks put a whole lot of effort into being "bothered" by something. So, I guess I just hope door decorations won't really ruin anyone's cruise.