Help with Belize Excursions

Laurie7724

We will be stopping in Belize on our cruise later this year. I am having such a hard time choosing an excursion in this port from the Carnival website. I definitely would feel safer booking an excursion directly through Carnival than worrying about venturing out on our own. If we decide to book an excursion that includes cave tubing and zip line does everyone in the party have to participate in the zip line portion? My husband and myself do not like heights yet I know my kids will love it. Any suggestions for any other excursions through Carnival that are good? This is the only port that is leaving me stumped. I'm almost considering just staying on the ship for the day. Any help is appreciated!

You may want to post this on the ports of call forum, if it doesn't get moved anyway.

If you decide to venture out from Carnivals fence though, I highly recommend King David Castillo (Altournative Belize Services). We went through him back in May when we were in Belize and went to the howler monkey sanctuary (Community Baboon Sanctuary), Altun Ha Ruins, stopped for lunch, went to a local school to donate supplies then just toured the country. It was an amazing day and we had an amazing time. At the monkey sanctuary, it's not a zoo or anything, they're in the wild. You go off into the woods to see them and we ended up feeding a family of them as they came from the trees and ate from our hands. It was simply amazing. My 6 year old LOVED it and it was the highlight of his trip aside from holding the sloth in Roatan.

We did cavetubing through cavetubing dot bz. They picked us up in a van at port, we did the cave & also had lunch afterward. Vitalano Reyes is the owner. We booked online and paid when we arrived. They got us back in plenty of time to do a little shopping & head back to the ship.

We will be stopping in Belize on our cruise later this year. I am having such a hard time choosing an excursion in this port from the Carnival website. I definitely would feel safer booking an excursion directly through Carnival than worrying about venturing out on our own. If we decide to book an excursion that includes cave tubing and zip line does everyone in the party have to participate in the zip line portion? My husband and myself do not like heights yet I know my kids will love it. Any suggestions for any other excursions through Carnival that are good? This is the only port that is leaving me stumped. I'm almost considering just staying on the ship for the day. Any help is appreciated!

A few years ago we did the cave tubing with native lunch and it was great. We booked through shoretrips.com with no problems [we also used them in 2 other ports] Matter of fact - the people on the ship tour were jealous of the Cadillac of inner tubes we had complete with neck pillow for comfortable drifting. Plus our group was only 16 people and theirs was more like 60. The independent tour companies are very good at getting you back to docks on time.

We NEVER book a Carnival tour, meet here, go there, wait for a bus somewhere else and way too many people. Private excursions are very safe as long as you do a little research. Don't stay on the ship in Belize it's a stunning country. You do not want to walk around Belize City, but all the tours leave from the ferry dock area. Once we took a small airplane to Abergese Cay, another trip we went to Caulker Cay, snorkeled and swam with the nurse sharks, both were outstanding trips.

We did cavetubing through cavetubing dot bz. They picked us up in a van at port, we did the cave & also had lunch afterward. Vitalano Reyes is the owner. We booked online and paid when we arrived. They got us back in plenty of time to do a little shopping & head back to the ship.

I totally recommend this company. It's family run and the hospitality was exceptional. We zip-lined and went cave tubing; I'm sure they'd be happy to customize an itinerary for your family.

I'm not sure if a majority of the responses here reflect on the questions the OP posed. They said they are more comfortable with Carnival excursions, yet many offer advice on independent tours. Not one has said anything about the zip lining questions the OP asked about.

As far as other Carnival excursions that the OP asked about, there are a wealth of snorkel tours, exploring Mayan ruins (just avoid Altun Ha, the weakest example) and some adventure tours that don't involve heights.

I'm not sure if a majority of the responses here reflect on the questions the OP posed. They said they are more comfortable with Carnival excursions, yet many offer advice on independent tours. Not one has said anything about the zip lining questions the OP asked about.

As far as other Carnival excursions that the OP asked about, there are a wealth of snorkel tours, exploring Mayan ruins (just avoid Altun Ha, the weakest example) and some adventure tours that don't involve heights.

Good point , but I missed your answer to the question also.

OP, you all can go but you do not have to participate. It's the same price though.

I loved the Altun Ha ruins and River Wallace tour through Carnival. The ruins were fascinating. The river tour was on small boats with sharp eyed guides who found a ton of animals.

I also liked the Belize Zoo through Carnival.

We did Altun Ha & River Wallace through Carnival once & while it was interesting, I think it was the hottest day of the year. Living in Texas, I'm accustomed to summer heat, but that trip it was pretty miserable - it was the first week in May. Saw lots of howler monkeys & iguanas on the river as well as the manatee reserve. We've also done a snorkel excursion through Carnival that picked us up at the ship - they threw out chum, so there were lots of stingrays and reef sharks. Our neighbors did Starfish Island - I think that's what it was called. It was a trip to a beach. While they were in the water, a dolphin swam around the people. There were drinks - don't know if they had food, but I would think they did. There was also an Elvis impersonator that they said was pretty good.

We have done several excursions through Carnival in Belize:

- Altun Ha and River Wallace

- cave tubing

- Belize zoo

We enjoyed all of the excursions, but my favourite would be the zoo. The animals are all native to Belize and in their natural habitat. It's very well done.

When we did just the cave tubing through Carnival, the bus taking our group also took the people going to the atv/cave tour so it's possible you would still be on the same bus if you were headed in the same direction. Talk to guest services and see if you can purchase separate excursion tix.

We used Butts Up Cave Tubing. They also offer zip lining and ATV's you can do one of them or all of them and we were all on the same bus, so it would be possible for you and wife to just do cave tubing and kids could do both. They also provide lunch and give you a lot of history on Belize on the ride there and back. They have very good reviews and guarantee to get you back to port on time. We had time to shop before getting back on tender boat.