New To NCL

We've cruised many times but never on NCL. Going in December on the Breakaway. Can you please explain how the main dining rooms work. Looks like there are 3. You show up anytime during dinner hours to any one? Do you need reservations?

Are any sit down dining rooms open at breakfast and/or lunch?

Also, if you have the 3-night signature dining, you can pick any of those? If it's al a carte, what are you entitled to? Do you need reservations before you board.

Any tips on what to do, eat, see on this huge ship. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you!:)

Breakfast and lunch, yes...sit down is open...usually 2 dining rooms, sometimes not on sea days..Margararitaville has a limited breakfast buffet, eggs to order etc, usually not crowded and always complimentary, I enjoyed that almost daily...

Just show to eat for the most part, IF you have to have a certain time, reservations can be made... especially if you demand prime or a certain time...

When we had the specialty dining it was 1 entree per person and as much apps, soups, salads, desserts as you wanted. I would definitely make reservations for the speciality.

Some specialty still cost more. This is from their site:

Speciality dining packages are honoured in the following speciality restaurants: steakhouses, Churrascarias, French, Teppanyaki, Los Lobos, Q Texas Smokehouse, Margaritaville at Sea and Italian restaurants. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Bayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, and Ocean Blue restaurants, for the following per person upcharges:

Ocean Blue - $10 USD

Bayamo - $10 USD

Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway

Sushi -$7 USD

Raw Bar - $7 USD (Seafood Platter not included)

Pincho Tapas Bar - $7 USD

Main dining - 3, same menu, buffet, O'Sheehan's Pub & Shanghai's Noodle Bar are all included in your cruise fare - opening hours will be listed in the Freestyle Daily.

If you are cruising for 7 days, I think you will be happy with those choices, I wouldn't pay for Specialty dining package.

If the Specialty dining was included in your fare "Free at Sea", look for the menus and decide which look most appealing to you. there are 9 different pay restaurants on the Breakaway and there are many opinions about which are good/bad/great. If you want to eat between 6 & 7, reservations are recommended at the Specialty (pay) restaurants

So the main dining rooms are free and you can just show up for dinner, correct?

Correct. If you have a special request -- for example, table by the window -- or arrive at a busy time, you may have a wait. If you're not picky, you should easily be seated when you "just show up." Regular dinner is free, though sometimes there may be items on the regular menu that have an upcharge.

I'm not sure about reservations in general since we've been in the Haven lately. As Haven guests, we have been given a dedicated phone number to call to make reservations at specialty restaurants. They told me that take only a small percentage of the reservations in advance (I think they told me 10%) but once Haven guests board, the Haven concierge took our requests and make all the reservations exactly as we asked.

Thank you everyone, you helped a lot! If we want to make a reservation for an included restaurant, can we do that in advance, or when we board?

I would do most on board but if you want to be sure to have a dining time for the first night in the MDR I would make a reservation before boarding.

Usually the 6:30-7:30 pm times seem to be the most busy, so if you would rather avoid dining at that time you shouldn't have any problems just walking up.

Thank you everyone, you helped a lot! If we want to make a reservation for an included restaurant, can we do that in advance, or when we board?
I recommend making dining reservations (specialty or MDR) prior to boarding (especially if you enjoy dining at a specific time) ... you can always cancel or modify but at least you have something.

We have already made reservations for The Tropicana MDR for 6:30 on our first night at sea (equal to the Manhattan MDR on Breakaway) only to guarantee that specific room and time. We have also already made reservations at Moderno, Cagney’s and Teppanyaki as we wanted specific times. If you don’t really have a preferred place and time, you can wait until you board, or even just show up.

One thing that NCL does differently from the other cruise lines I have been on (RCI, Celebrity, Carnival) is that they have a dining room open for lunch on embarkation day. It is so nice to go sit down for a nice lunch rather than dealing with the buffet that is always especially crowded that first day. Take advantage of that!

We cruised our first mega ship in May, and yes, make reservations before you board. NCL has changed when you can make reservations to 120 days before you cruise. Go to "My NCL" click on the dining, select your restaurant, and then click on the reservation box, and times will drop down. You might consider O'Shehans for breakfast as well (limited offerings, but good).

I recommend making dining reservations (specialty or MDR) prior to boarding (especially if you enjoy dining at a specific time) ... you can always cancel or modify but at least you have something.

Hmmm, I can book specialty but MDR shows not available for reservations on the NCL web site.

Hmmm, I can book specialty but MDR shows not available for reservations on the NCL web site.
Really? I'm able to see the reservation options (date, number of people, and time) for my upcoming cruise in October.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

I've always been able to book MDR..... may have already exhausted the allocation of internet bookings. Try calling NCL.

Since when do you need to book reservations in the MDR? Not on any of the 10 or so NCL cruises I have been on.

I think this is a very misleading thread.

You don’t need to make MDR reservations, but it is an available option on some ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since when do you need to book reservations in the MDR? Not on any of the 10 or so NCL cruises I have been on.

I think this is a very misleading thread.

I think it may be misleading if you read it as you did... "need". No one mentioned "need".... we "recommended" if you have a show or a specific time you want to have dinner in the MDR.

Do they even allow MDR reservations at all? I remember having our concierge make them once for us, but it was treated as a rare thing.
What!? "Do they even allow MDR reservations at all?"??

Multiple posts in this thread have stated that MDR reservations were made pre cruise and then once on board..... so..... yes, MDR reservations are "allowed".

Well, your conceirge did their job and fooled another Haven guest that they went above and beyond... this time to make that elusive and "rare" reservation that the "common folk" would never get. Probably got a good tip for it too. [emoji6]

We have already made reservations for The Tropicana MDR for 6:30 on our first night at sea (equal to the Manhattan MDR on Breakaway) only to guarantee that specific room and time. We have also already made reservations at Moderno, Cagney’s and Teppanyaki as we wanted specific times. If you don’t really have a preferred place and time, you can wait until you board, or even just show up.

Thank you! Since we are new, we cannot book yet. The first night is my husband's birthday so I will be sure to book something!

Use the MDR for lunch and go for the speciality package for dinner! The offerings are outstanding. Think fine dining experience versus banquet dining... enjoy NCL. We love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk