Cruise canceled, should we switch to Epic?

klo0315

Our April 2019 10 day Southern on the Jade was canceled. We are bound to the week bc of school breaks. The only 2 options we like are Eastern on the Epic or mex riviera on bliss. We are Haven people so right away the Bliss is out bc the price is just insane. That leaves the Epic.

Will we be happy with the Epic Haven? We have stayed in Breakaway Haven and in the Dawn’s version of Haven.

Tell me why you would or wouldn’t book the Epic, based on ship and Haven alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hear Epic has the best Haven. It was not my favorite ship when we stayed in a mini suite, but I would definitely give it another try in the Haven. (For comparison I have only done Haven on Breakaway, and have done Suites on Dawn and Star which don’t have Havens. The suite on Star was my favorite so far, though to be fair it was also the only time I have stayed in a suite without a baby or toddler...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our April 2019 10 day Southern on the Jade was canceled. We are bound to the week bc of school breaks. The only 2 options we like are Eastern on the Epic or mex riviera on bliss. We are Haven people so right away the Bliss is out bc the price is just insane. That leaves the Epic.

Will we be happy with the Epic Haven? We have stayed in Breakaway Haven and in the Dawn’s version of Haven.

What do you consider the "Dawn's version of Haven"??

I wasn't aware they had any limited access "quiet area".

They have suites, of course, but that doesn't make a Haven, on ships like Dawn or Sun, etc.

Don't all ships have suites, regardless of whether there is an actual Haven?

Did we miss some special quiet area elsewhere on the Dawn when we stayed in one of the DOS above the Bridge?

GC

The Haven on the Epic is the best in the fleet. Large and comfortable. Access to the Posh Club (Epic Vibe). Private gym. Steam and sauna in courtyard. Large outside dining area. Large restaurants (no dining tables encroaching on the pool area).

Bliss would be nicer, but even the Mexican Riviera would be pricy.

What do you consider the "Dawn's version of Haven"??

I wasn't aware they had any limited access "quiet area".

They have suites, of course, but that doesn't make a Haven, on ships like Dawn or Sun, etc.

Don't all ships have suites, regardless of whether there is an actual Haven?

Did we miss some special quiet area elsewhere on the Dawn when we stayed in one of the DOS above the Bridge?

GC

Yes, you’re right. I guess I should’ve said that we stayed suite class and had those perks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In haven’t sailed (yet) on the Epic but by all accounts Epic has an amazing Haven area. I’m booked to go in November. But the research I’ve done it looks great with the Epic restaurant, bar, grill. Access to Vibe with another bar and being able to order food.

I’m heaps excited about trying it and will give a report here when I’m back. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the Epic Haven.

Have a great cruise

I've stayed in the Epic Haven twice, the last time in March 2018. I loved it both times. It's my favorite one. I don't care for the standard cabins on the Epic, for all of the well documented reasons, but I love the Epic Haven. I definitely recommend it. I think you'll enjoy it as well.

We have done the Epic in the Haven twice now....and cannot recommend it enough! Great space....food.....you will love it I am sure. And although we have done the Mexican Riviera over 20 times now.....there is nothing that beats the Caribbean for beaches, water, etc. And although we of course want to try the Bliss at some point....are NOT in a rush as the prices ARE outrageous at this point. I say go with the Epic!

Though I am anything but a mega ship fan, based on itinerary alone I would do the Epic. Of course both ships are huge and will have plenty of activities. I just do not enjoy the Mexican Riv that much and have done it 3 times.

Edited by newmexicoNita

The Epic is a horrible ship for many reasons. The only way we would sail her again is in the haven again. Without the haven and all those amenities you could not give me a free cruise on the Epic. Having said that, the haven can be quite expensive, but the only way to go on the Epic.

We went on the Epic in the Haven in February. Loved the Haven, hated the Epic. Way too big for us two seniors and I didn't like having to have reservations for everything. The Haven however saved us. Nice area, great pool area, sun area, dining room and bars/lounges. It was a splurge for us, we have stayed in suites on the Gem size ships never been in a haven before. Only way I would go on the Epic is in the haven.

I was on the Epic recently, NOT in the Haven, and wouldn't hesitate to book the Epic again. It is true that, as on any of the large ships, you will need to book some of the entertainment (Priscilla, Cirque Dreams) in advance. Some other shows that I was worried about did not fill up.

It did not feel crowded to me, except around the elevators at peak times. If you have a suite in the Haven you might notice it more because of the contrast.