Star Princess Alaska Question

CatsinShow

I wouldn't call them hidden, but there is space all around the ship to watch from. They will pull the ship up with one side facing the glacier, sit for an hour, and then turn it the other way. If you are on deck you will likely want to move around for the best view. Whichever you choose opt for outside. You will want to hear the glacier too.

you're gonna get a lot of opinions here but here is what we found: on your balcony it is very quiet and you can hear the glacier crack and pop. up on deck with everyone talking and chatting... not so much. you can hear it some. but not like on your balcony.

Go to the naturalist talk and she will give approximate time for various viewing and when she will be on the outside bow. I think it's on the deck above the promenade deck. We viewed from the promenade deck also. We could hear the calving on our balcony but also on the promenade deck, but we were on the promenade deck after the rotation so less people.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

will the naturalist give an approximate time as to when the optimal glacier calving is?

does it depend on the sun angle ,etc ? something that should not be missed, right?

No one can predict when the glaciers will calve. The naturalist will give approximate times of when to be out for glacier viewing and for how long along with when/where to look for wildlife.

I think I worded this poorly. I'm getting the cheapest cabin with no window so no balcony. I'm just wondering if there is a spot on the ship that not too many people go to where you get good views.

I understood your question. I just mentioned balcony since someone mentioned that they couldn't hear calving from public areas. It's going to be crowded and you might not get seat but I believe your best bet is the bow the naturalist recommends (deck above promenade deck?) or promenade if you want unobstructed view. I would recommend that you check out the ship soon after boarding.

It also depends if you are going northbound or southbound. I went southbound so height of hubbard and glacier bay was in afternoon.

If sitting during the glacier viewing is a priority, I would recommend a balcony or check out reserving the sanctuary (doesn't appear to be unobstructed view when I looked at youtube).

will the naturalist give an approximate time as to when the optimal glacier calving is?

does it depend on the sun angle ,etc ? something that should not be missed, right?

katrina915 is correct on the prediction. You never know where on the face or when a glacier will calve.

A few weeks ago while in glacier bay, the whole time the glacier was on our side of the ship and we viewed from our balcony, the Glacier calved about 8 to 10 times. After the boat turned we went to my sisters balcony, the Glacier never calved again while we where near it. If my sister had just sat on her balcony, she would have never seen any of the calving.

In between balconies, I went out on the Promenade deck. You can usually find plenty of rail space to stand at. Seating though was mostly taken as I never saw any seats or benches open.

As for time, approx times are posted in the patter, but it does not hurt to get up on deck and watch before and after. We saw otters in the water and bald eagles on ice flows as we approached and left the glaciers.

I last did Star to Alaska in 2014, and we had a balcony then. But I've done Alaska with an inside, and honestly I liked being on deck better as you can get a broader field of view and easily face whichever direction you want. Though I was standing, not sitting. Also hearing the naturalist on the speakers from the balcony is tough, and we had been looking forward to that with the balcony room. And yeah it was a little crowded on deck, but not prohibitively so.

You really want to be standing in order to see over the railing. If sitting, you'd either be looking through railings or through tinted glass. You get a wider view standing at the railing rather than sitting somewhere further back. I've seen the occasional obnoxious person pull an entire lounger up to the railing and try to sit there, blocking other people's movement, but it's really not the optimal way to view the glaciers. Unless you have physical issues that require you to sit, I'd suggest staying on your feet and moving around as necessary.

Any upper open deck where you can move around and get 360 degree views. The promenade deck is also nice, check out the bow area up the stairs to deck 8. Since you will be there for hours you can move around to different locations.

We just got off the Star in Alaska. You can go up to Skywalker's Lounge (but get there early) or as high as possible on the outer decks, which tends to be windy but less crowded than the Promenade deck. Also the buffet with a window seat. You can move around if people need the table to eat. And a lot of people were by the aft pool outside of the buffet.

Also the buffet with a window seat. You can move around if people need the table to eat.

Except people don't move for people who need a table to eat. They stake out their table early in the morning and camp out there all day, making it nearly impossible to find a table to eat. Please do NOT do this!!

We were up on top deck- don't count on getting a seat! I finally took one from the smoker's area on port side near front of ship - worked for me! I sat and stood from that chair and put it back when I was done - stayed away from smoke as I don't appreciate it! Glaciers calved the entire time - both side of ships. Felt Promenade deck was too crowded - even at the bow of deck 8.

We were in Glacier Bay 14 June. Calving was not too impressive, don’t expect big iceberg sized chunks like photos and film.We had 3 decent sized pieces fall off but up front could not get near the rail too see the first and largest one (saw someone’s pics) the other 2 were okay seen from the side of the ship as Captain pivoted the ship. I saw them, got some photos, but they weren’t spectacular ... more like chunks tumbling off the glacier.

Manage your expectations and enjoy.

The naturalist had some great pictures showing how much of the glacier has been lost in less than 10 years. Check them out - thought provoking.