Room 1028 handicap junior suite.

As I said in a previous post. Accessible cabins are released when there are only a couple cabins in the category are left. It does not have to be the last cabin. The TA did nothing wrong and no disability has to be proven to book the cabin.

The U.S. regulations only allow the wheelchair accessible cabins to be released when there are NO regular cabins left. I have cruised on Royal Caribbean for more than 30 years and am not aware of any Royal Caribbean policy releasing wheelchair accessible cabins to the general inventory when there are only a "couple" of regular cabins left in a category.

The fact that Royal Caribbean is offering JS guarantees also shows that they anticipate JS cabins being available in the time of over a year to the OP's cruise. I very much doubt that Royal Caribbean released the last wheelchair accessible JS to the general inventory when there was a regular JS as well as guarantee JS bookings available. In addition, the OP did not post that the cabin had been released to the general inventory--that is an assumption on your part, Cruisinfanatic, apparently to defend this nameless travel agent's actions.

Regardless, it is not appropriate to book a wheelchair accessible cabin when there are regular cabins and guarantee cabins in that category available.

The U.S. regulations only allow the wheelchair accessible cabins to be released when there are NO regular cabins left. I have cruised on Royal Caribbean for more than 30 years and am not aware of any Royal Caribbean policy releasing wheelchair accessible cabins to the general inventory when there are only a "couple" of regular cabins left in a category.

The fact that Royal Caribbean is offering JS guarantees also shows that they anticipate JS cabins being available in the time of over a year to the OP's cruise. I very much doubt that Royal Caribbean released the last wheelchair accessible JS to the general inventory when there was a regular JS as well as guarantee JS bookings available. In addition, the OP did not post that the cabin had been released to the general inventory--that is an assumption on your part, Cruisinfanatic, apparently to defend this nameless travel agent's actions.

Regardless, it is not appropriate to book a wheelchair accessible cabin when there are regular cabins and guarantee cabins in that category available.

I'm just telling you their policy.

If you have a problem with it, tell them, not me

Please post this policy as set forth by Royal Caribbean and note where you received your copy.

We talk with Special Needs several times a year, often relating to booking a cruise. I have never seen or been informed of this policy and in fact, have been orally told, when talking with both Special Needs representatives and even the supervisor of that dept, that wheelchair accessible cabins are only released to the general inventory a few weeks after final payment and that before release to the general inventory, permission has to be obtained to book a wheelchair accessible cabin. In addition, I was assured that Royal Caribbean only gave permisssion for the release to book upon request when no cabins are available in the super category (such as balcony or inside, vs the subcategories of the different types of balcony).

They did admit to me that people/travel agents have lied on the affirmation statement of need and that this is often not caught until Special Needs reviews the booking and finds a Special Needs form is not submitted and makes more specific inquiry, which is around 30 days or less before the sailing date. They claim they take action in these situations. This does not apply to Royal Caribbean assignments to HC rooms.

Regardless, in this case, there was a specific JS cabin and guarantee JS bookings available--the OP should not have booked a wheelchair accessible cabin.

Edited by montgomeryfamily

One of the pet peeves I have with all cruise lines, is the HC cabins. First, there are many people who "need" the HC cabin because they have real needs such as the need for a roll in shower, grab bars etc. The HC cabin is designed for the.

My issue is that many more people only "need" the HC cabin because of scooters. Why do they need a HC cabin? Because the cabin doors are so small, and once you enter, the "hallway" which is the bathroom/closet, make it impossible to bring the scooter inside. Go to any hotel, and a HC person with a scooter will have no issues with a standard room. But on the ship, it's impossible.

The choice on the ship becomes this. Either a HC balcony, inside or outside room, or be forced to pay for a suite, that has a wide door.

With all the new ships being built, it would be nice if some rooms are designed in such a way to allow a scooter into the doorway. Redesign the bathroom, somehow, and make the hallway in the room wider, and the door wider.

What about this? Each floor, or certain floors have a scooter parking lot with plugs, and for those with their own scooters, a locking railing so you can lock your scooter from theft.

Theft? Just take the key with you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I believe that all the keys for a particular brand of scooters are the same. If you get the 250 pound weight 3 wheel scooter from Special Needs at Sea (Pride scooter). the keys are interchangeable. Once in the MDR on NCL I went to the scooter parking lot and started up a scooter and it was not mine--my key worked on someone else's scooter.

Please post this policy as set forth by Royal Caribbean and note where you received your copy.

We talk with Special Needs several times a year, often relating to booking a cruise. I have never seen or been informed of this policy and in fact, have been orally told, when talking with both Special Needs representatives and even the supervisor of that dept, that wheelchair accessible cabins are only released to the general inventory a few weeks after final payment and that before release to the general inventory, permission has to be obtained to book a wheelchair accessible cabin. In addition, I was assured that Royal Caribbean only gave permisssion for the release to book upon request when no cabins are available in the super category (such as balcony or inside, vs the subcategories of the different types of balcony).

They did admit to me that people/travel agents have lied on the affirmation statement of need and that this is often not caught until Special Needs reviews the booking and finds a Special Needs form is not submitted and makes more specific inquiry, which is around 30 days or less before the sailing date. They claim they take action in these situations. This does not apply to Royal Caribbean assignments to HC rooms.

Regardless, in this case, there was a specific JS cabin and guarantee JS bookings available--the OP should not have booked a wheelchair accessible cabin.

Then if HC cabin is needed and held by someone who doesn't guess they could loose that cabin...

One of the pet peeves I have with all cruise lines, is the HC cabins. First, there are many people who "need" the HC cabin because they have real needs such as the need for a roll in shower, grab bars etc. The HC cabin is designed for the.

My issue is that many more people only "need" the HC cabin because of scooters. Why do they need a HC cabin? Because the cabin doors are so small, and once you enter, the "hallway" which is the bathroom/closet, make it impossible to bring the scooter inside. Go to any hotel, and a HC person with a scooter will have no issues with a standard room. But on the ship, it's impossible.

The choice on the ship becomes this. Either a HC balcony, inside or outside room, or be forced to pay for a suite, that has a wide door.

With all the new ships being built, it would be nice if some rooms are designed in such a way to allow a scooter into the doorway. Redesign the bathroom, somehow, and make the hallway in the room wider, and the door wider.

What about this? Each floor, or certain floors have a scooter parking lot with plugs, and for those with their own scooters, a locking railing so you can lock your scooter from theft.

Good points but I’m not sure the biggest problem is the width of the doorway & cabin hallway since many scooters are narrow enough to fit through them. Many standard scooters are only 22 inches wide. I think it might be the lack of parking space for the scooter within the cabin that causes many to book a HC cabin they otherwise don’t need. So your suggestion of a scooter parking lot might be something the cruise lines could explore. That could possibly free up those cabins for someone who is wheelchair bound and can only sail in a HC cabin.

Then there are people like in my family who only use a rollator walker but need a HC cabin simply for the HC bathroom features (no lip access, shower seat, rails, etc.). Yet Royal doesn’t make any cabins with just a HC bathroom.

Of course there will always be those who lie about their need and book HC cabins for the extra room. For them, karma will be a bi#ch.

~ Judy

Our travel agent booked us a Handicap junior Suite on the Radiance. It was the last suite in our catergory so she booked it. I’m feeling a little guilty about booking it without a handicap but we really wanted a Junior suite for this cruise. Any thoughts?

Firstly I am not having a go at you and I understand that you really want a JS and that it was the TA that booked it. So my problem is only with Travel Agents. I just can never understand how a TA can book someone in any accessible cabin when a person doesn't need it. Unless it was only a few weeks out from a cruise and chances are that it may not be booked by someone that needs one and the cruiseline wants to fill the ship.

My brother is a paraplegic so has to have an Accessible cabin or can't cruise. He always needs to book 18 months to 2year in advance to have any hope of getting a cabin/suite.

So please can you keep an eye out and if another JS comes available can you please swap.

Firstly I am not having a go at you and I understand that you really want a JS and that it was the TA that booked it. So my problem is only with Travel Agents. I just can never understand how a TA can book someone in any accessible cabin when a person doesn't need it.

I disagree. TA's only do what their customers want. If TA had not booked the JS for the OP, the OP would have booked the JS somewhere else.

If OP really wanted to sail on this cruise they could have booked an OVB and tried to upgrade when a JS became available (according to RC UK website there are 3 JS available & according to RC US website 1 JS is available) or they could have booked a GS.

On our last 3 cruises we have had to downgrade because we could not get the HC cabin we wanted, on the cruise we wanted.

I disagree. TA's only do what their customers want. If TA had not booked the JS for the OP, the OP would have booked the JS somewhere else.

What do you mean, the OP would have booked a jr suite somewhere else as in a different TA? Are you saying she should choose a different cruise because she was told that there was only a HC jr suite left and she should have left it in case a HC person came along and wanted it?

Now if you are saying that she wanted to book the HC jr suite and the TA wouldn't book it for her then why would she even post on here about it?

If OP really wanted to sail on this cruise they could have booked an OVB and tried to upgrade when a JS became available (according to RC UK website there are 3 JS available & according to RC US website 1 JS is available) or they could have booked a GS.

So she should book a cabin that doesn't have the room that a jr suite has? Not talking about a HC jr suite, but jr suites in general. To me there is a fair amount of extra room in a jr suite than an ovb. Going up to a GS might be out of their budget. Did you ever stop to think about that?

On our last 3 cruises we have had to downgrade because we could not get the HC cabin we wanted, on the cruise we wanted.

All the more reason to book asap. On one of our upcoming cruises there were certain cabins that I really wanted, but since we didn't book early enough I didn't get one. Thing is it's all my fault. If you want/need something you have to be the early bird or don't complain.

I disagree. TA's only do what their customers want.

Some TAs will book whatever they can just to get the customers booking. Also, when the cabin was booked it might have been the last jr suite at that time. On our next cruise I booked GS. It was the last GS available at the time so it's possible the TA was telling her the truth. Since then several other GS have come and gone. The only reason I know this is because I have been constantly checking since I want another location.

Currently the Royal Caribbean website shows both an actual JS (cat J3) and a guarantee JS booking available. So the accessible JS is not the last JS. You should call your TA and change your booking. (Checked approximately 8:00pm EST today)

Your Travel Agent had to sign an affirmation on your behalf that you need the accessible features of the wheelchair accessible JS. That apparently is untrue in your case. You run the risk of being held responsible for that untrue affirmation.

The Royal Caribbean website currently shows that there are NO wheelchair accessible JS available on this sailing. The website shows that there are no wheelchair accessible cabins in any other category. So your booking this JS when a regular JS is available takes the last available wheelchair accessible stateroom out of the inventory.

Apparently some did not read my post #18 so I am quoting it above here. On the same day the OP posted his original post, less than 12 hrs later, there was a regular JS cabin and a guarantee JS booking available. I posted this information assuming that the OP did not know that either his TA had other options available to book but did not or that the regular JS and guarantee booking options became available shortly afterward, so that the OP could go back to the TA and make the change. (although I find it hard to believe that a JS guarantee option was new, given the length of time until the cruise).

In addition, another poster states that currently the UK booking site shows 3 JS available. Again, it seems unlikely that 3 JS regular cabins came available suddenly. Apparently the TA didn't call Royal Caribbean before booking the wheelchair accessible cabin for the OP.

The OP has not come back to the thread. If the OP has changed his booking from a wheelchair accessible JS to a regular JS booking, I urge him to come back and post. Otherwise the assumption will be that this has not been done.

Edited by montgomeryfamily

What do you mean, the OP would have booked a jr suite somewhere else as in a different TA? Are you saying she should choose a different cruise because she was told that there was only a HC jr suite left and she should have left it in case a HC person came along and wanted it?

No the OP should not book a different cruise. What I was saying is if OP wanted a JS on that particular cruise and the TA refused to book the only JS available, because it is an HC cabin, then the OP would have probably booked the JS on that particular cruise either online or with a different TA.

So she should book a cabin that doesn't have the room that a jr suite has? Not talking about a HC jr suite, but jr suites in general. To me there is a fair amount of extra room in a jr suite than an ovb. Going up to a GS might be out of their budget. Did you ever stop to think about that?

I think you have just answered this with your last point. But just to be clear if OP wanted a JS she /he should have booked early. If OP could not book earlier and this is really the cruise they wanted they should be prepared to accept an OVB or a GS, if they can afford it.

All the more reason to book asap. On one of our upcoming cruises there were certain cabins that I really wanted, but since we didn't book early enough I didn't get one. Thing is it's all my fault. If you want/need something you have to be the early bird or don't complain.

I was not complaining. Like I stated in my earlier post,

Like grab007 my DS needs a HC cabin and we also have to book 18 months advance

The point that I was trying to make, unsuccessfully, was on our last 3 cruises we have had to downgrade. Even though we booked 18 months in advance the HC cabin we wanted were sold. So we downgraded because we wanted those particular cruises. We could not upgrade as we wanted a HC JS

Have you ever saw the key? Did you know you can move them without a key? My wife's scooter cost $1700.00. We have a lock, just like a bicycle, and will always lock it if it stays out of our sight.

Have you ever saw the key? Did you know you can move them without a key? My wife's scooter cost $1700.00. We have a lock, just like a bicycle, and will always lock it if it stays out of our sight.
Other than a joy ride, how are you going to steal a scooter. I'd love to see someone sneak one off the ship. Is there a scooter chop shop ring aboard?

FWIW I did have a scooter for ten days on Serenade. Always took the key out. No problems. Left outside CL, the MDR, and occasionally at deck 10 elevator bank. A couple of good parking spaces there.