Unlimited Drink Options Included with other lines: will you still book Carnival?

pcrum

I get it, my point is that they keep driving it in that direction, royal did try and remove the MDR as an option. I understand there are options, but it is the direction they are heading. If all good things come with a price tag, what does that tell you. Trust me, we participate in all theses things. It is not about the costs of these items as an add in as much as it is about changing.

I am sure competition has a lot to do with it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Slightly off topic (and maybe deserves it's own thread) - do you think we might see a day when there is no MDR and only specialty (likely a combination of pay & no-pay) dining options?

Already many seem to complain about not wanting to dress up for dinner and/or only wanting to dine with their party. The comparisons are made to land based restaurants, but MDR isn't really like a restaurant but rather a banquet hall where you get a larger choice of menu options than land based banquets.

NCL already has O'Sheehan's (plus there was a no-charge Asian eatery on our cruise) for casual dining, and I think other lines might have similar options.

I suspect the numbers are still there to need a large dining room, but it does seem a direction many might like. I'm would likely miss MDR since I already miss dining with others during anytime dining.

Slightly off topic (and maybe deserves it's own thread) - do you think we might see a day when there is no MDR and only specialty (likely a combination of pay & no-pay) dining options?

Already many seem to complain about not wanting to dress up for dinner and/or only wanting to dine with their party. The comparisons are made to land based restaurants, but MDR isn't really like a restaurant but rather a banquet hall where you get a larger choice of menu options than land based banquets.

NCL already has O'Sheehan's (plus there was a no-charge Asian eatery on our cruise) for casual dining, and I think other lines might have similar options.

I suspect the numbers are still there to need a large dining room, but it does seem a direction many might like. I'm would likely miss MDR since I already miss dining with others during anytime dining.

Probably does deserve it’s own thread. Who knows where it will end. I really do think royal wanted it to go there, and why not, they win big time.

If I had to guess, I think what NCL has with the Bliss will continue more along those lines. More for pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is not so much options being taken away. It is where the industry is headed. I will give an example, Royal has already tried to take away the MDR and instead “offer” two options where you can eat for free. Big down step in offerings UNLESS you want to pay. If that is offering options, it makes my point.

I sailed on Anthem when Dynamic Dining was in place. It was actually a great thing. You had a choice to dine in all 4 different cuisine restaurants with a rotation or just eat in any of them as you wish. One of them Grande was a restaurant where you could have surf and turf every day.

It was a great plan actually. I'm sad RCCL discontinued this. Now you have the same menus in all 4 and you can either pick traditional dining (2 restaurants) or anytime(2 restaurants) just like on majority of lines. It is convenient yes, but we liked what they offered in their attempt more.

All these restaurants are free options. I am not sure what you were upset about. Is that they were 4 instead of 1 MDR?

Princess since we started cruising had 3 MDR.

2 anytime and 1 traditional. Very convenient. Now... Princess does offer one of the best mass Market food out of all lines and their buffets especially on newest ships are to die for.

I sailed on Anthem when Dynamic Dining was in place. It was actually a great thing. You had a choice to dine in all 4 different cuisine restaurants with a rotation or just eat in any of them as you wish. One of them Grande was a restaurant where you could have surf and turf every day.

It was a great plan actually. I'm sad RCCL discontinued this. Now you have the same menus in all 4 and you can either pick traditional dining (2 restaurants) or anytime(2 restaurants) just like on majority of lines. It is convenient yes, but we liked what they offered in their attempt more.

If it was so good, where is it?

I inferred from the title of the thread that it was a point of comparison between those competing cruise lines that are including drink packages ( NCL, MSC, Celebrity, Princess) versus will you still book Carnival (and pay for Cheers). It would not be a proper apples to apples comparison if it was unlimited drinks included versus pay as you go on Carnival.

It will never be apples to apples. Carnival Cheers program has a much higher dollar limit per drink, and includes a lot that (for example) NCL's program doesn't.

All these restaurants are free options. I am not sure what you were upset about. Is that they were 4 instead of 1 MDR?

Princess since we started cruising had 3 MDR.

2 anytime and 1 traditional. Very convenient. Now... Princess does offer one of the best mass Market food out of all lines and their buffets especially on newest ships are to die for.

....and they always start out very robust, and then after a while, pull something away, then change the menu, then,etc etc.

No, it was all good. We sailed several times with DD. Nothing was changed in terms of quality.

I suspect it was difficult to maintain logistically, but idea was terrific.

I remember how wonderful was for example Asian restaurant Silk with Chinese, Japanese, Tai dishes. Missed it a lot.

I will say a word of warning. NCL and MSC both use " well" or "house" brands in their alcohol packages. This is actually listed directly in their advertisements that are tailored to the alcohol program. Carnival and Royal use top shelf and no " no name brands"
With regards to MSC, it all depends upon which promotion they are using. The "Drinks on Us " promo does in fact only use well brands and basic beer and wine brands. Other drink promos they have had in the past utilize higher end stuff. On NCL, their drinks package is good for anything on their menu up to 15.00, including Grey Goose and Crown Royal...far from house brands.

No, it was all good. We sailed several times with DD. Nothing was changed in terms of quality.

I suspect it was difficult to maintain logistically, but idea was terrific.

I remember how wonderful was for example Asian restaurant Silk with Chinese, Japanese, Tai dishes. Missed it a lot.

Understand, I meant over a period of time. They stopped doing it for a reason.

It will never be apples to apples. Carnival Cheers program has a much higher dollar limit per drink, and includes a lot that (for example) NCL's program doesn't.
The 50.00 drink limit on Carnival is total smoke and mirrors. There is a glass of Champagne at the steakhouse for 20.00 and Roca Patron Tequila is 16.50 and Grey Goose VX is around the same. There is nothing between 20 and 50 and these three are the only ones to my knowledge over the 15.00 limit that NCL has. I will agree about the bottled water and coffee omissions with NCL's program. But, Carnivals inclusions do match up with the packages on Royal and Celebrity as being more inclusive. And of course Carnival has the 15 drink ceiling with alcohol that none of the others have.

The 50.00 drink limit on Carnival is total smoke and mirrors. There is a glass of Champagne at the steakhouse for 20.00 and Roca Patron Tequila is 16.50 and Grey Goose VX is around the same. There is nothing between 20 and 50 and these three are the only ones to my knowledge over the 15.00 limit that NCL has. I will agree about the bottled water and coffee omissions with NCL's program. But, Carnivals inclusions do match up with the packages on Royal and Celebrity as being more inclusive. And of course Carnival has the 15 drink ceiling with alcohol that none of the others have.

Sounds like you much prefer NCL.....

NCL is a much better deal, and I have never felt lacking with it. I could care less about bottled water. And NCLs $ limit also doesnt take much off the table, maybe a few martinis but not much.

I will say a word of warning. NCL and MSC both use " well" or "house" brands in their alcohol packages. This is actually listed directly in their advertisements that are tailored to the alcohol program. Carnival and Royal use top shelf and no " no name brands"

On NCL they are not well or house brands, can't speak for MSC.

right on. I drink my normal mid-high shelf stuff on NCL, no problem

Yep. Sailed NCL the past two years and it was all top shelf. Check out some of the cruise info sites and you will see the brands they offer. Some may consider Jack Daniels, Jameson and Chivas Regal, etc. low brow or house brands but its good enough for me. That said, I purchased Cheers and am looking forward to Carnival for the first time. They each have their pluses and minuses. But in no way is Carnival far superior if you are just looking at alcoholic beverages. Again, the District Brewhouse on some of the newer NCL ships is a beer lover's dream with the variety of on tap and bottled beer offered.

You can definitely get brand name on NCL, the mid-level stuff. It's not well liquors. That said, when we tried to go slightly above that, it was a big, fat "NO, not included, sorry." As in, Gentlemen Jack or Patron Anejo. On Carnival and Royal? No problem at all. They would pour anything we wanted. Carnival has a $49.95 per drink limit if I recall, so if it's in stock, you can probably get it...

This may not be a big deal to everyone, and it's not a "big" deal to me, but I really enjoy the all-inclusive aspect to cruising with drinks packages so not being able to get the higher end stuff that I like as well as no bottles of water, no coffee drinks, etc, and NCL's offering is kind of a bummer for me. Bottled water was a big deal. It's quite nice as you are walking around, just grabbing a bottle of water at the bar to hydrate.

There is no denying that NCL offers the worst drink package, it's not a controversial thing. But it is obviously good enough for a majority of cruisers and especially those who don't know that there are better options.

As for the District Brewhouse, I guess it's a beer lovers dream for cruise ships. But it's certainly not a beer lovers dream as it's not that big of a selection and it's just the volume craft stuff. It's a great venue and it was refreshing to have some decent options, but they are not groundbreaking enough for me to care that much or alter my decision when booking a cruise.

Sounds like you much prefer NCL.....

Don't know how you inferred that Jimbo, since I love the Alchemy Bar and my previous statement really didn't imply that NCL's package is better than Cheers, unless you drink 16 or more per day and never did that even when I was in college 30+ years ago.

But I do love that my upcoming Bliss cruise is substantially cheaper than my 2 Horizon cruises

Cheers also includes discounts on bottles of wine.
Means nothing. Those that choose to drink high end wines will buy a bottle package and not settle for the low to mid grade stuff that is available by the glass with Cheers. And if they have the money to burn to invest in both, they should be on a higher grade line than Carnival.

Means nothing. Those that choose to drink high end wines will buy a bottle package and not settle for the low to mid grade stuff that is available by the glass with Cheers. And if they have the money to burn to invest in both, they should be on a higher grade line than Carnival.

So you shouldn't sail Carnival if you have money? :confused:

Don't know how you inferred that Jimbo, since I love the Alchemy Bar and my previous statement really didn't imply that NCL's package is better than Cheers, unless you drink 16 or more per day and never did that even when I was in college 30+ years ago.

But I do love that my upcoming Bliss cruise is substantially cheaper than my 2 Horizon cruises

Happy sailing

Yeah carnival is only for boones farm winos