Unlimited Drink Options Included with other lines: will you still book Carnival?

pcrum

Not at all. Liver cancer and cirrhosis are way up. You can google it.

Liver cancer is now the fastest-increasing cause of cancer death in the U.S. Incidence rates began rising in the mid-1970s, and they are expected to go up through at least 2030

another article

https://www.everydayhealth.com/liver-cancer/deaths-from-alcohol-related-liver-disease-deaths-liver-cancer-on-rise-among-young-americans/

I'm sure this is all true, but I don't think that was what the original poster was looking for....let's keep to the original question instead of educating everyone on LIVER CANCER...OK....;)

Again, it is your opinion.

I've not noticed that service in Carnival MDR was better than in NCL MDR. Both MDR are full, so in my estimate majority isn't forced.

There are more additional restaurants yes to try different cuisine. They aren't full or even better in quality in some cases. They are there for variety.

If I ever felt forced out of any MDR on any cruise ships of 8 companies we sailed it was MDR on Carnival Miracle with its mind boggling color scheme. We did survive :) , but that's not something you'd expect from the evening restaurant. Haven't seen this on our last two Carnival cruises, but remember red-white-blue competition in MDR on Liberty.. also isn't necessarily a regular thing in fine restaurants.

The extra (as in many on the Bliss) are there so you have variety? Do you really think that is why they put so many on ships?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked my first Carnival cruise (Breeze). Some of this banter makes me a bit nervous. We tend to be more conservative and don’t watch the contests on pool deck, obnoxious drunks, people dancing provocatively and grinding on others, etc...So what is meant by “more fun”? Can we just avoid such things by staying in the family areas, waterslides? Or is that type of stuff rampant throughout? We do love other activities like the game shows, trivia, kids contests, Q&As with crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While many people drink on ships, I haven't noticed extremes at the water slides or trivia, definitely not crew Q & A's. I suspect it would depend on the game show what you might find, but it is fairly easy to move to an area that doesn't have offensive people. And just as there are obnoxious drunks, you can also find obnoxious sober people throughout the ship - and some fun, friendly drunks;)

On our Glory cruise DW and I didn't hold back, if we wanted a drink we purchased one. Our total bar bill for the week was $600. That's the number I would use when considering booking an NCL cruise over a CCL cruise, not the price of Cheers. So if the NCL cruise were $800 more than CCL it likely wouldn't make the cut unless there were something in the itinerary we wanted.

My husband and I are more like you and your wife. We drink, enjoy more drinks on a cruise than on land, but still cannot justify the cost of Cheers. Apparently though unless the two of you average at least 6-8 drinks each day, you aren't really a drinker and shouldn't be posting on beverage package threads:rolleyes:

The extra (as in many on the Bliss) are there so you have variety? Do you really think that is why they put so many on ships?

Of course it's additional profit for cruise line. It doesn't mean that are to substitute that you have to use it or that MDR is bad. We almost never go t o per fee restaurants and don't feel we are missing anything.

Of course it's additional profit for cruise line. It doesn't mean that are to substitute that you have to use it or that MDR is bad. We almost never go t o per fee restaurants and don't feel we are missing anything.

I am sure some do, their (the cruise line) motive it to increase revenue and want you to go to for pay. They started it and the rest have followed.

I am sure some do, their (the cruise line) motive it to increase revenue and want you to go to for pay. They started it and the rest have followed.

It’s a business.

Business will always try to increase profits by offering additional services. I like that it’s not all inclusive so we don’t have to pay for things we don’t need.

As long as they continue to provide adequate free options we are completely fine.

It’s a business.

Business will always try to increase profits by offering additional services. I like that it’s not all inclusive so we don’t have to pay for things we don’t need.

As long as they continue to provide adequate free options we are completely fine.

Cruising is changing and not for the better. Cuts and profit hungry companies are slowly worming the industry into something nothing of us may recognize as the cruising we are so fond of. Your not caring with NCL’s tact and my doing the same for Carnival are assisting in that effort. Mega liners that cost more than a billion to produce and over saturating a market assist in this as well. We will have no one to blame but ourselves when they take away those paltry free options and say “that is what the public wanted”.

Which options are being taken away?

Yes... pax isn’t the same it was when cruising wasn’t affordable for majority, but then again it is much more affordable.

WiFi is now so affordable and accessible I can spend much more days at sea working part time. :)

Cruising is changing and not for the better. Cuts and profit hungry companies are slowly worming the industry into something nothing of us may recognize as the cruising we are so fond of. Your not caring with NCL’s tact and my doing the same for Carnival are assisting in that effort. Mega liners that cost more than a billion to produce and over saturating a market assist in this as well. We will have no one to blame but ourselves when they take away those paltry free options and say “that is what the public wanted”.

I'd have to disagree with this. It sounds a lot like people who complain about airlines making seats smaller to maximize profits. What they aren't realizing is how much cheaper airline tickets are now than 40 years ago. Domestic first class today is comparable to the cost of a coach ticket in the 1980's. Cruising is similar. Just because lines like Royal and Carnival are adjusting and modernizing doesn't mean you don't have some of the "old school" options. Go sail Regent or Seabourne, or a number of other luxury/boutique lines. They exist. What is happening is we have more options for less money today than ever before, and we forget about that whole "less money" aspect sometimes because the transition is so slow.

I respectfully disagree with you. Cruising is changing...but IMHO it is for the better. I’m not paying much more for my cruises now than I was when I started cruising back in 2001 and quite honestly the cuts that I have seen have been more than offset by the additions on both CCL and NCL. In fact the Carnival Dream Cruise we took in 2016 and the NCL Escape Cruise we took in 2017 were the best cruises we have had on both lines.

I like having more choices. If I want splurge I do and if I want sail on a tight budget I can. I haven’t seen a decline in the included restaurants but I have seen an increase in both included and fee restaurants since I started cruising. I have seen an increase in both included and fee based activities and entertainment venues on both lines. More choices in both areas. I love the move to anytime/freestyle dining and more casual dress codes. I hated being seated with strangers and while I was ok dressing formally, I much prefer a more relaxed dining atmosphere and experience on my vacations.

Others may disagree but I am still a very pleased with what both lines offer me for the price a pay. Things change. That’s life. Sometimes I think people are so busy looking for the cuts that they have blinders on to the additions. Others honestly hate the changes being made. But there are other choices when it comes to cruise lines that may give you more of that cruising life you are so fond of and are afraid of losing. If you don’t think you are still getting the value you want for your vacation dollar because the changes negatively impact what you value then it may be time to re-evaluate where you are spending your vacation dollars. I do that every time I plan a vacation and cruising is still a great value to us both on NCL and CCL.

You both missed the point, I drink alcohol on every cruise, just not enough to justify cheers. The point is the VAST majority of Carnival cruisers do it just that way. I was basing my comments on the thread title question. Oh....I forgot, read all four sentences.

I inferred from the title of the thread that it was a point of comparison between those competing cruise lines that are including drink packages ( NCL, MSC, Celebrity, Princess) versus will you still book Carnival (and pay for Cheers). It would not be a proper apples to apples comparison if it was unlimited drinks included versus pay as you go on Carnival.

Food is subjective to personal preference but I've never had any Carnival food that was better than any other line. Your experience may differ.
Having sailed on 7 different lines over the years, my personal opinion is that when it comes to lunchtime options, Carnival stands out. I am not a fan of buffets, but do like the other options such as Mongolian Wok, pasta bar at Cucina del Capitano, Blue Iguana Cantina, Guy's Burgers, made to order turkey reuben at the deli and the sea day brunch. Looking forward to the included BBQ at the Smokehouse on the Horizon as well as Salad Creations in Serenity.

Having sailed on 7 different lines over the years, my personal opinion is that when it comes to lunchtime options, Carnival stands out. I am not a fan of buffets, but do like the other options such as Mongolian Wok, pasta bar at Cucina del Capitano, Blue Iguana Cantina, Guy's Burgers, made to order turkey reuben at the deli and the sea day brunch. Looking forward to the included BBQ at the Smokehouse on the Horizon as well as Salad Creations in Serenity.
I will agree with you on that. Outside the MDR and buffet, Guys and the Blue Iguana were a good choice for lunch especially with my two young daughters. I thought Iguanas breakfast burritos were better than anything in the breakfast buffet.

I inferred from the title of the thread that it was a point of comparison between those competing cruise lines that are including drink packages ( NCL, MSC, Celebrity, Princess) versus will you still book Carnival (and pay for Cheers). It would not be a proper apples to apples comparison if it was unlimited drinks included versus pay as you go on Carnival.

It is not about what is fair or is unfair, it is that the models are different.

Not only cruising is changing look at the increase AI's have had over the years.

And with those (AI's) they aren't adding as much, if anything.

Every cruise line has their model and if it's not working they would certainly change/fix it.

My first 6 cruises were all on Carnival, we just decided to try something different ( NCL). After this next one (NCL Bliss), I'm ready to try another line. Maybe MSC.

Variety can be good.

Not only cruising is changing look at the increase AI's have had over the years.

And with those (AI's) they aren't adding as much, if anything.

Every cruise line has their model and if it's not working they would certainly change/fix it.

My first 6 cruises were all on Carnival, we just decided to try something different ( NCL). After this next one (NCL Bliss), I'm ready to try another line. Maybe MSC.

Variety can be good.

I agree variety can be good, or at least change. I am sure the cruise lines will be fine, their profits are all good. My concern is the product and where it is headed. What happens when the Caribbean is so saturated they have to adjust? They will but our cruising as we know it may be gone. We will see, hope I am wrong.

Which options are being taken away?

Yes... pax isn’t the same it was when cruising wasn’t affordable for majority, but then again it is much more affordable.

WiFi is now so affordable and accessible I can spend much more days at sea working part time. :)

It is not so much options being taken away. It is where the industry is headed. I will give an example, Royal has already tried to take away the MDR and instead “offer” two options where you can eat for free. Big down step in offerings UNLESS you want to pay. If that is offering options, it makes my point.

It is not so much options being taken away. It is where the industry is headed. I will give an example, Royal has already tried to take away the MDR and instead “offer” two options where you can eat for free. Big down step in offerings UNLESS you want to pay. If that is offering options, it makes my point.

Is that what they called "Dynamic Dining"?

I'm pretty sure cruising is cheaper now than it was 20 years ago. If you can buy the ultimate dining package for $168 for a 7 day cruise, but your cruise cost $200 cheaper than it used to.... well, you are getting a lot more for your money now. They aren't stepping down at all, really. It's better now than ever and you can thank all of the competition for that.

Royal does have the MDR, they do offer myriad options for complimentary dining AND they offer a more robust option for a pretty small fee if you want the dining package.

I'm pretty sure cruising is cheaper now than it was 20 years ago. If you can buy the ultimate dining package for $168 for a 7 day cruise, but your cruise cost $200 cheaper than it used to.... well, you are getting a lot more for your money now. They aren't stepping down at all, really. It's better now than ever and you can thank all of the competition for that.

Royal does have the MDR, they do offer myriad options for complimentary dining AND they offer a more robust option for a pretty small fee if you want the dining package.

I get it, my point is that they keep driving it in that direction, royal did try and remove the MDR as an option. I understand there are options, but it is the direction they are heading. If all good things come with a price tag, what does that tell you. Trust me, we participate in all theses things. It is not about the costs of these items as an add in as much as it is about changing.

I am sure competition has a lot to do with it.

Is that what they called "Dynamic Dining"?

I think so, but I have a pretty crappy memory. I was shocked at the time. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during those discussions (both offering and changing it back).

:(

Hi:

• We are platinum on Carnival, but have taken a few years off from cruising. In the time we've been away, both NCL and MSC have started to offer fares with the Unlimited Drink Option included as a perk. Now that we are looking to book another cruise, I have to admit that these perks are very enticing and swaying us away from Carnival, whose drinks package is very expensive to book. I'm just wondering if others are feeling the same?

Tempted to try other cruise lines