Just off the Equinox...... ask away

AUPilot14

Where did you dock in Key West and Cozumel? Did you follow your original itinerary? It seems the Equinox changes the order of ports often.

Yes, we were on the original itinerary. As for the docks: International in Cozumel, and not sure of the name in Key West. We did not enjoy Key West, but it was near the Margaritaville Condos (hotel?), unsure what it was actually called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we were on the original itinerary. As for the docks: International in Cozumel, and not sure of the name in Key West. We did not enjoy Key West, but it was near the Margaritaville Condos (hotel?), unsure what it was actually called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you do in Key West? Sorry to hear how you experienced it.

Key West doesn't have good beaches; really is a party town. My mom said we would love it & we do but it really is just the vibe.

Yes, you can see Hemingway's house, take a trolley tour; there are some nature-focused options, but definitely fewer excursion options than other ports.

I'm really looking forward to my first visit, and yes the trolley, Hemingway home and Little White House are on my radar. There is a trolley shore excursion which is actually cheaper than the regular fare. Do you know if this stops by the cruise ship or if we have to walk to Mallory Square?

What did you do in Key West? Sorry to hear how you experienced it.

Well, we had shore excursions booked everywhere else and none of the offerings from the ship did much for us in Key West. Honestly, Key West seemed like New Orleans on an island. Duval Street reminded me of my bad mistakes on Bourbon Street! :')

I'm sure we could have found something, but it also rained half our day in port. The wife and I ended up returning to the ship well before departure time and just lounged at the pool.

Glad you had a nice cruise.

Sherman~ I had the Embassy booked for February but after all the bad reviews (including bed bugs & dangerous area), I switched us to the Hampton Blue Lagoon instead. They were basically the same price. We are also on the Equinox in Sept and I have again booked the Hampton Blue Lagoon. It was super clean and the staff was great. There is a free shuttle from the airport and to the port in the am, also a free breakfast. Also within walking distance are about 6 fast food places, 3 restaurants, cvs and walgreens. Safe, well lit area. Hope this helps.

I checked out the Hampton Blue Lagoon and it looks nice so think I will cancel Embassy and switch to Hampton. Thank you for the information.

AUPilor: We were also on this cruise. Would you please answer a question? Did you receive a 30% off coupon for a specialty restaurant on Grand Cayman day? We did. We wonder if this was because all got it or if it was our lowly concierge class cabin or our Captain's Club status.

We are sailing next week and enjoy Key West. If you are looking to get around the island (and stay a bit away from Duval) you can use the free Duval Loop (carfreekeywest(dot)com/duval-loop-bus) and go to the many stops. We are planning to take it down to the Southernmost point, do the butterfly museum and then go to the Seaport, Mallory Square and do a bit of Duval. Much less party and more tourist. I do need to find a onesie because my best friend's mom put a deposit on her baby shower and forgot the date of our trip so I am missing the shower for my godson to-be! Otherwise we will just walk around. My parents were in Key West a few years ago during Fantasy Fest on the day where they do all of the body painting and they had a very interesting experience to say the least! They wanted to get back and really experience all of Key West like we did via golf cart last summer, because basically all they did was walk around and gawk that time!

AUPilor: We were also on this cruise. Would you please answer a question? Did you receive a 30% off coupon for a specialty restaurant on Grand Cayman day? We did. We wonder if this was because all got it or if it was our lowly concierge class cabin or our Captain's Club status.

We didn't, we were only offered 30% the first night when we visited Tuscan Grille. This was my first Celebrity Cruise, so we were pretty low on the Captains Club ranking also. I'm only gold with RCCL!

Entertainment as far as the shows was not quite RCCL level, but there was always live music around the ship at various times of the day. Always a DJ or band at the pool during most of sea days.

We honestly skipped most of the theater shows after “Topper” because we enjoyed the Martini Bar and Club Sky more than the shows.

I don't see Club Sky on the deck plan of the ship. Can you give me more info as to where it is and what it is?

Thanks for answering so many questions. War Eagle! (Our DD is an Auburn alumni & we have a house at Lake Martin. We live in Florida, but I LOVE Alabama!

My DH & I are sailing on the Equinox August 4, the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. I downloaded the Celebrity app today and was browsing through the information. They have room service menus on the app. The breakfast menus charge for French toast, pancakes, etc. Do you know if there is the charge for the meal, plus the room service fee? If we have the drink package, can we get fresh squeezed juice at n/c via room service, or do we need to go to a dining venue to take advantage of the package? Does it matter if we are in a lower level suite (not PH or RS), but a CS? Our friends are in a non-suite stateroom, I think the in-room dining options are different for the various staterooms.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I just got off the phone with celebrity and one of the perks for Concierge Class Balcony is an expanded room service menu. Not sure how expanded or what that includes yet. We are scheduled for August 18 cruise and haven't been on Celebrity in 11 or 12 years so looking forward to it. Any suggestions on best bars, anybody? Or best drinks to try? We got a great deal on the Concierge Cabin with the premium drink package and 3 additional perks included. Any suggestions of anything special to do or experience or avoid on the Equinox also is appreciated. Desperately need some time away

I don't see Club Sky on the deck plan of the ship. Can you give me more info as to where it is and what it is?

Deck 14 Sky Observation Lounge--it is a "Club" at night with bands/DJs.

I just got off the phone with celebrity and one of the perks for Concierge Class Balcony is an expanded room service menu. Not sure how expanded or what that includes yet. We are scheduled for August 18 cruise and haven't been on Celebrity in 11 or 12 years so looking forward to it. Any suggestions on best bars, anybody? Or best drinks to try? We got a great deal on the Concierge Cabin with the premium drink package and 3 additional perks included. Any suggestions of anything special to do or experience or avoid on the Equinox also is appreciated. Desperately need some time away

I think you'll find the martini bar the center of activity late afternoon, before dinner and then after dinner. If you enjoy entertainment before dinner, the rendezvous lounge. I enjoy the world class bar...very quiet, get to know the bartender...interesting drinks and some better single malts if you're a scotch drinker. The silent disco is a must...even if you just watch.

I would skip the Novo Fogo tasting (seriously). Do the galley tour if you see it on the daily events schedule. Try the pastries in Cafe B'cchio which are free ... with/without the coffee which is included in your premium package...best coffee on the ship. Avoid the art auctions. Try to eat one dinner in Murano restaurant....but don't pay full price...,bargain with them on price...you should be able to get them down to $35 pp or less....maybe a few days into the cruise.

You'll have a great time...enjoy

The Solarium is a nice place to relax, no children allowed. Check out the Glass Blowing Studio. You can watch the glass blowing and/or participate and create a piece.

Ghstudio mentioned the rendezvous lounge, on the Equinox the Lounge with evening entertainment is called the Ensemble Lounge and Deck 5.

I think you'll find the martini bar the center of activity late afternoon, before dinner and then after dinner. If you enjoy entertainment before dinner, the rendezvous lounge. I enjoy the world class bar...very quiet, get to know the bartender...interesting drinks and some better single malts if you're a scotch drinker. The silent disco is a must...even if you just watch.

I would skip the Novo Fogo tasting (seriously). Do the galley tour if you see it on the daily events schedule. Try the pastries in Cafe B'cchio which are free ... with/without the coffee which is included in your premium package...best coffee on the ship. Avoid the art auctions. Try to eat one dinner in Murano restaurant....but don't pay full price...,bargain with them on price...you should be able to get them down to $35 pp or less....maybe a few days into the cruise.

You'll have a great time...enjoy

Great advice! As far as bartering the price at the Murano. Any suggestions on who to talk to about that or how to do it?

Thanks for posting this. Downloaded the app, but hadn’t realized menus were posted. Looking forward to your review as we sail her 9/14 on a 10 night southern itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m also on 9/14 equinox trip...widowed past year so traveling solo. Looking forward to meeting new people!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m also on 9/14 equinox trip...widowed past year so traveling solo. Looking forward to meeting new people!!

It should be a great cruise. Celebrity has some of the nicest passengers. You will meet tons. Did you sign up for the Celebrity Connections? You can meet other Cruise Critic members on the ship.

Great advice! As far as bartering the price at the Murano. Any suggestions on who to talk to about that or how to do it?

Stop at one of the tables where they are booking specialty restaurants. Talk to them a minute or so about the restaurants....then ask how much murano costs. If they say $50, we aren’t allowed to discount...or something like that...say....I’d love to try murano but that’s more than I’m willing to pay. They may make you an offer, they may say nothing I can do...or they might ask what you’d be willing to pay. Suggest $35....and see what they do. If they offer $40, just thank them for the offer and say $35 is your limit. Smile and walk away.

Likely the same person will be in the same spot the next day. If so say hi and ask if $35 would work.

You get the idea.....good luck

It should be a great cruise. Celebrity has some of the nicest passengers. You will meet tons. Did you sign up for the Celebrity Connections? You can meet other Cruise Critic members on the ship.

I think we signed up for it. We are Pam and Trip S from Naples FL

Hey there, I’m looking into a cruise on Equinox, was there a deal on specialty dining on embarkation day? I’m on a bit of a budget travelling with three others and would like to try Murano or Tuscan Grille but the prices are a bit too steep for us. Thanks!

Hey there, I’m looking into a cruise on Equinox, was there a deal on specialty dining on embarkation day? I’m on a bit of a budget travelling with three others and would like to try Murano or Tuscan Grille but the prices are a bit too steep for us. Thanks!
Check your cruise planner at the Celebrity website. We cruise the Equinox 10/15/18, and first night dining reservations are being sold at 30% off for most restaurants.

Check your cruise planner at the Celebrity website. We cruise the Equinox 10/15/18, and first night dining reservations are being sold at 30% off for most restaurants.

Thanks Kevin! I’m actually thinking of booking the same cruise last minute! Hoping to get a good deal our first night. Wondering if it’s better to wait to get on board. Doesn’t look like a full sailing as of now.

Thanks Kevin! I’m actually thinking of booking the same cruise last minute! Hoping to get a good deal our first night. Wondering if it’s better to wait to get on board. Doesn’t look like a full sailing as of now.

I've never tried it, but there's room for bargaining on a first night dinner when you get on board (or check in if there's someone selling specialty meals on the dock). Most passengers are offered 30%, but Aqua Class passengers are generally offered 50% off. That means that the restaurant sales folks might just have some leeway...so it's a friendly negotiation to try to 50% off. Might work...might not.

Good luck....