Global Entry application

cpayne

I filled out my application online Sun afternoon. Friday morning I received my email saying I’m temporarily approved and to go online to schedule my interview. I submitted my husband’s application at the same time and still no invite to schedule the interview. Interesting.

Many factors.

And strangely, with some things like this, having a security clearance can slow thing down. Or speed it up. Or have no affect. :D

I just had my interview yesterday.

DW and I filled out our applications on the same day. She got her Conditional Approval in 3 days, mine on the other hand took a few days shy of 4 weeks. I was beginning to think "I wonder what I have done?"

When you get your Conditional Approval there are a list of places to choose from and times if slots are open. DW was able to get a time near us in Cleveland but when I got my approval the closest place was PIttsburgh.

I went to my interview yesterday at Pittsburgh Airport. I was about 2 hours early so I was prepared to sit a while in need be but they weren't busy and I got interviewed within minutes. They only asked if I had been arrested in the past 10 years. He took my picture and fingerprinted me and I was back at my car within 45 minutes.

Shak

We applied on Sunday, got our conditional approval on Friday and have an interview scheduled for August 22 in Pittsburgh. We could have gotten one sooner but have a lot of things going on in August.

Capital One reimbursed the fee for one application. The credit has already been applied to the account.

Many factors.

And strangely, with some things like this, having a security clearance can slow thing down. Or speed it up. Or have no affect. :D

The level of clearance can make a difference but it doesn't always make sense.. I had a 'regular' top secret clearance and received approval within less than 24 hours. My DH's application, with an even higher category of top secret, took about 4 days but he had lots of world-wide travel that may have slowed down approval.

Once you get approved, bring the G.E. card with you on your cruise. If your returning home port has a US Customs Global Entry dedicated line, you can bypass hundreds of others waiting for a standard Customs once over by showing the card and breezing through the dedicated line.

The level of clearance can make a difference but it doesn't always make sense.. I had a 'regular' top secret clearance and received approval within less than 24 hours. My DH's application, with an even higher category of top secret, took about 4 days but he had lots of world-wide travel that may have slowed down approval.

Actually higher level may slow it down, as it takes more to verify it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo frustrating. My application was tentatively approved several weeks ago. My interview is tomorrow. Husband applied 10 minutes after I did online. He is still waiting for approval. Was hoping we could both do our interview at the same time as it is approximately an hour away drive for us. Still waiting to hear on his. ???

They call it an interview, but I think it is only to get you there in person for a picture and fingerprints.

Not always. When DW and I had our interviews (at the same place and time) she spent about 1 min with the agent and was approved. But during my interview the agent was intrigued by several visits I had made to Turkey (so had DW) and asked a series of questions about my visits to Turkey. Keep in mind that this was 3 years ago when Turkey was still a solid NATO ally (hard to know what Turkey is today). When I explained that the visits were all connected with cruises (including an extended stay in Turkey between two cruises) the agent got into a friendly discussion about Turkey and geography of the country. After a 10 min interview all was fine and I think the agent was actually just curious about Turkey vis-a-vis its location next to Syria.

Hank

Not always. When DW and I had our interviews (at the same place and time) she spent about 1 min with the agent and was approved. But during my interview the agent was intrigued by several visits I had made to Turkey (so had DW) and asked a series of questions about my visits to Turkey. Keep in mind that this was 3 years ago when Turkey was still a solid NATO ally (hard to know what Turkey is today). When I explained that the visits were all connected with cruises (including an extended stay in Turkey between two cruises) the agent got into a friendly discussion about Turkey and geography of the country. After a 10 min interview all was fine and I think the agent was actually just curious about Turkey vis-a-vis its location next to Syria.

Hank

My BIL also had an extended interview mostly involving a trip he took to Turkey. I believe it is standard if you have been there. I am sure they are just sizing up your response when asked about your visit.

And if you have ever held a security clearance they know way more than the last 5 years! When a security clearance is obtained or renewed the government expects you to include all the details of any foreign travel.

When my wife was employed, she had to notify the security office whenever she traveled to certain countries. She was also told that there were certain countries that she was not allowed to visit at all. I don't remember the list now but some of the ones on the "do not visit at all" list surprised us.

DON

For you interview look at places besides airports. We’ve been lucky at the Otay Mesa border crossing. It doesn’t seem to be as busy as others. Turkey, Morocco, and Israel will all trigger an extended interview.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When my wife was employed, she had to notify the security office whenever she traveled to certain countries. She was also told that there were certain countries that she was not allowed to visit at all. I don't remember the list now but some of the ones on the "do not visit at all" list surprised us.

DON

We both had to do that for any international travel that wasn't official business (and I was a contractor not a government employee).

DON

Probably a good thing you cannot remember. Depending on her employment situation, that list may be classified

For you interview look at places besides airports. We’ve been lucky at the Otay Mesa border crossing. It doesn’t seem to be as busy as others. Turkey, Morocco, and Israel will all trigger an extended interview.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We listed that we had visited Israel and were not asked about it.

They just sent out notification to me that once you can do your interview at many international airports as you arrive home back in the country. You do it as you are going through regular the regular Customs and Immigration line.

They just sent out notification to me that once you can do your interview at many international airports as you arrive home back in the country. You do it as you are going through regular the regular Customs and Immigration line.

Of course that defeats the purpose of having it.

I did mine on the way OUT of the country. I booked my interview when I was already going to be the airport, showed up an hour early, checked in, went to my interview, flew out, used it on the return.

We are finally completing our applications for Global Entry. It is asking for all the countries we have visited outside of US, Canada, Mexico and Virgin Islands in the past 5 years. I verified you have to list all ports of call from cruising. My question is what if you miss a country or 2 when you complete the list? We've traveled a fair amount in the past 5 years and DH travels even more for work outside the US. I know I didn't possibly remember them all.

?????

Do the best you can do. If you miss a few you will be fine.

Ironically when I did my application I messed up on mine but got it right on my wife's. I listed all the countries on hers but didn't list one on mine. I just messed up and then I couldn't edit it after submitting it. Well my preliminary application was approved as was my wife's. I brought list with me to the interview and the person added in the countries we visited.

We have been on several world cruises in the prior five years plus other traveling. We did our best to list them all but I suspect we missed a couple just because there were so many to remember.

Keith