Shirt Button Came Off

zorrosuncle

You are painting with too broad a brush again. I'm quite capable of using my iPhone 7+ to full advantage, but I'm equally capable of sewing on a button.

Given the alternative, I think we all prefer living in 2018.:D

Maybe I am..but there's at least one maybe more posters who mention the fact that they refuse to own cell phones every time any sort of technology is mentioned.Without fail.:confused:

You are painting with too broad a brush again. I'm quite capable of using my iPhone 7+ to full advantage, but I'm equally capable of sewing on a button.

Given the alternative, I think we all prefer living in 2018.:D

I think the iPhone 10 will come with a built-in button sewing app ;p

Hard to figure which is the more absurd: dozens of posts about sewing on buttons. the fact that there are a number of people who can’t sew on buttons, or the fact that people will acknowledge that they can’t sew on buttons.

I suppose the anonymity here let’s people open up; but,

zeeeeesh!

Hard to figure which is the more absurd: dozens of posts about sewing on buttons. the fact that there are a number of people who can’t sew on buttons, or the fact that people will acknowledge that they can’t sew on buttons.

I suppose the anonymity here let’s people open up; but,

zeeeeesh!

AND ………………. you win post of the day!!!

All tne politially correct gobblygook put an end to home ec classes and shop class in schols AND we hve generation of young 'uns who cannog hem a pair of pants or sew a button. Very Sad

IMO Those are practical lifeskills

Shopclasses taught how to hammer a nail and hang a picture ujseful things to know.

What?????

I come from a long line of educators. But in my family, there was a strong belief that school was the place where you were taught concepts, ideas, theories, facts, etc.

Practical knowledge should, IMO, be passed on by parents. It was my parents who taught me such skills as how to hang a picture, fix a bicycle chain or a running toilet, balance a check book, do minor sewing repairs, etc. In other words, how to function as a normal adult.

(The most useful skill my father ever taught me was how to pack a suitcase, and from my grandmother, how to plan a trip and how to travel solo.)

This thread brought to mind a family story about my dad coming home for lunch to find a strange young man on his hands and knees washing our kitchen floor. He was alarmed, fearing that something terrible had befallen my mother, until the fellow calmly explained that he was a new neighbor who had come to the door seeking help with a loose button on his shirt. Since he had interrupted mom as she was going about her weekday chores he felt that it was only fair to take over the floor scrubbing duties while she was busy securing the button to his garment.

Some people here are too old school for their own good. "I can sew on my *own* buttons..I *refuse* to have a cell phone", etc. Then you have me, who prefers living in 2018.

For my own good being able to do simple tasks for myself suits me just fine. o ld schol ?? Wrong deroggatory jab. :)

IF Buttons were not still popping of f shirts in 2018, this thread wouldnot have been started. OLD School is ocurring TODAY. don'r knock those with a skilll you do not possess. Maybe learn from them.. :rolleyes:

This thread brought to mind a family story about my dad coming home for lunch to find a strange young man on his hands and knees washing our kitchen floor. He was alarmed, fearing that something terrible had befallen my mother, until the fellow calmly explained that he was a new neighbor who had come to the door seeking help with a loose button on his shirt. Since he had interrupted mom as she was going about her weekday chores he felt that it was only fair to take over the floor scrubbing duties while she was busy securing the button to his garment.

Nice story, thanks for sharing it. :)

As others have said, there is a very competent tailor shop on board, and they will be happy to sew on a button.

If this happened to me, I wouldn't hesitate to ask them to sew the button on for me. Sure, I could do it myself. I can also shine my own shoes, make my own bed, etc. And I do these things when not on vacation. But when on a cruise, where services are provided (and paid for), I don't see the point in doing these kinds of things myself.

To others who prefer to travel with a sewing kit and do their own simple repairs, that's fine. But I think the OP was asking for help with a problem while on board, not looking for a lecture on travel preparedness, the decline of practical education, or any other topic.

As others have said, there is a very competent tailor shop on board, and they will be happy to sew on a button.

If this happened to me, I wouldn't hesitate to ask them to sew the button on for me. Sure, I could do it myself. I can also shine my own shoes, make my own bed, etc. And I do these things when not on vacation. But when on a cruise, where services are provided (and paid for), I don't see the point in doing these kinds of things myself.

To others who prefer to travel with a sewing kit and do their own simple repairs, that's fine. But I think the OP was asking for help with a problem while on board, not looking for a lecture on travel preparedness, the decline of practical education, or any other topic.

Early in the thread, OP's question was answered and suggestion was made re; laundry taking care of the button

Some people here are too old school for their own good. "I can sew on my *own* buttons..I *refuse* to have a cell phone", etc. Then you have me, who prefers living in 2018.

What in the world are you talking about? I live in 2018, have an I-phone, and sew on buttons when necessary.

I am inclined to think that the reasonably competent person who can sew on a button is also likely to have a cell phone. The ditz who cannot handle needle and thread is more likely to be the sort to not trust cell phones — or be able to handle anything.

That is also how I took the OP's question. It is good to know that if necessary it can be done onboard by the ship's staff.

What in the world are you talking about? I live in 2018, have an I-phone, and sew on buttons when necessary.

I am inclined to think that the reasonably competent person who can sew on a button is also likely to have a cell phone. The ditz who cannot handle needle and thread is more likely to be the sort to not trust cell phones — or be able to handle anything.

Stop! You're killing me here! You already won "post of the day" yesterday! Now you are two for two!