Caribbean Princess - dropping bags in dining room?

amandaepperson21

I seem to remember reading a review where someone mentioned checking their carry-on bags at a dining room before cabins were ready.

Which dining room?

Do they give you a number/tag similar to how hotels do when they take your bags?

I want to board earlyish and it would be great if we didn’t have to carry backpacks around!

And because many people often suggest searching for answers, yes, I did search for the review but couldn’t find it. ;)

I don't believe you can check baggage in a dining room. Most people just have carry on's so they just take them with them to the table while they eat. At least that's how it was last month on the CB.

I seem to remember reading a review where someone mentioned checking their carry-on bags at a dining room before cabins were ready.

Which dining room?

Do they give you a number/tag similar to how hotels do when they take your bags?

I want to board earlyish and it would be great if we didn’t have to carry backpacks around!

And because many people often suggest searching for answers, yes, I did search for the review but couldn’t find it. ;)

There will be a location you can drop your luggage, one of the dining venues. I didn't, just took it with me to the lido deck, and after eating lunch, went and dropped in room.

Up until a year or two ago, cabins were always available when boarding so no need to check. Even on our last cruise in November our room was ready by Noon. It has been reported that on the Royal, Regal, and Caribbean rooms were not ready at Noon. Perhaps they have a check in at an MDR but, if so, that is new. Interestingly, on the Regal four years ago rooms were ready when boarding at noon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Even if they say the cabins aren't ready yet, we have never had a problem going directly to the cabin and dropping our bags in the closet then leaving. ;)

On the Ruby Princess June 30th cruise we received a note upon boarding that the cabins would not be ready until 1 pm. The hallway doors were closed and an alarm sounded if someone tried to enter (you can thank my DH for that tidbit of information!). We didn't have a similar issue on the Royal Princess last October 11 when boarding at 11:30.

Caribbean Princess April....we went to our room even though it was supposedly an hour early. There was nothing blocking access to the hallway. Put carry ons in the room and went to lunch. The room appeared completely ready and there was no steward or cart anywhere around.

Have you ever had someone take your bag from an airport baggage claim area? I have...and it took them 4 days to return it to the airport. Even then, they didn't own up to it; they dumped my bag at the Budget rental place. Note, my bag had a permanent ID tag, the airline tag for the flight, and a temporary ID tag. When I got home, the idiot had left 6 messages asking me to return their bag. DUH, I wasn't stupid. I hadn't taken their bag. But I did have to live on vacation for 4 days without a suitcase!

Bottom line--I would not drop a case in an unsupervised area on board. Any idiot could decide to claim my carry on and take it to their cabin! And the bags we carry on have our essential documents and medical stuff--the sort of things that we can't risk an airline losing or whatever. They either stay with us or are in our cabin.

Good to know. You'd think after 9 cruises that I would know this. That's why I like these boards

Don't feel bad. Until recently cabins were ready when you boarded, so there was no reason to leave carryons anywhere. Now that cabins cannot be accessed until 1 PM or 1:30 PM, they have started the ability to check the carryons somewhere.

Which dining room?

In January on CB for the first time our cabin was not available when we boarded (11:30 ish). We took our bags down to the dining room open for lunch at 12:00 and the staff placed them near by, out of the way. The cabin was ready by the time we finished lunch. They announced the availability of the cabins. It worked fine.