Does NCL provide invitations to the Meet & Greet

Staci0615

I wish they would end this practice, and have voiced this opinion to Hotel Directors along the way. I’ve seen the ugly side of this several times.
It's too bad that something nice NCL was doing got messed up like that. We've always been in a suite when I've organized M&Gs, so was unaware that folks were fighting to do it in hope of reaping "perks." Organizing events is what I do for a living so I've always volunteered for the sole reason that I figure I know how to make it go well (and that I already know it's a thankless job LOL).

I love meeting my fellow CC members and meeting the ship directors. I am always impressed with their courtesy and by how they remember us throughout the cruise if we cross paths. Last trip I set up a cabin crawl and a slot pull. Our roll call was small, but we had a blast and I'm still in contact with two of the people from the group!

I arranged two on the Jewel at the end of last year and am happy to share some thoughts with you if you email me at casofilia @ xtra dot co dot nz with no gaps.

In general M&G is a private meeting and is treated as such with no advert for the reason quoted.

May I also email you for a few ideas?

I wish they would end this practice, and have voiced this opinion to Hotel Directors along the way. I’ve seen the ugly side of this several times.

I agree Doug....I have seen several times where people are basically fighting over who is the organizer for the Meet and Greet...(must want those perks) On another occasion on Epic the so called "organizer" for the Meet and Greet never even showed up for it. (Although she knew that NCL had her name as being the organizer and must have wanted to stay in her cabin admiring whatever they sent her. /Sarcasm.) Do away with any so called perks and the people that will do the organizing will again be those who are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

I enjoy organizing the M&G. I have done if four time, 2 with perks, 2 without. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

To OP, we usually deliver reminders to each cabin that we have the information on. Next year, thinking of doing a Poker Run Type Thing with the reminders. Still working on that.

NCL is really generous about giving perks to those that set up the meet and greets, which is awesome.

I’ve done it three times, didn’t get anything extra the first time, the two other times I was in the Haven so would not know if I did.

But doing it for that is not the reason , it is fun to get to know others before and it is fun running into everyone onboard.

I do invites and run around the ship the day we get on board for those who have shared a room number .

Kerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I emailed you, hope you dont mind sharing some wisdom :)

No email arrived but happy to.

May I also email you for a few ideas?

Certainly

Just got your response, thank you so much for the thoughtfully put together response!

I'm organizing the M&M for one of my upcoming cruises next month. I regret not getting contact information from people now, although I'm sure not everyone would have supplied it, and odds are, the people who wouldn't have supplied it would be the people who'd not show up, anyway. :-) As it stands, I've announced it in the thread and put it in my signature. I'm sure we will have a fair few no-shows.

Even if I knew everyone's cabin numbers, I wouldn't be delivering invitations. I think 70+ people have signed up. Even though obviously, most of them are sharing a cabin with another attendee, that's still a lot of work, and I'm not going on vacation to work. :-D

NCL has been...less than inspiring in their assistance so far. The person who I was in touch with is for a different ship (although supposedly, this is being organized for the right ship). She put down the wrong number of people, put the wrong things in blanks all over...and apparently, they don't supply nametags, so I'm bringing tags and markers with me. At this point, my master plan is to show up at the appointed place, and even if NCL's totally loused it up, at least all of us who turn up can say hi and go to a bar or something. :-)

Hello "squick64"

That does not sound like the NCL I know when it comes to arranging a M&G.

I hope you get better service once on board. I usually don't expect a great deal of the contact on board till i get on board.

Mike

I heard the ended them too- I am still organizing the meet and greet because I believe it is a nice thing to meet fellow cruisers. It’s always a bad few that spoil it for all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I actually made invites for one meet & greet. Yes, it was a pain delivering them but fun at the same time. It was very well attended and I made sure that I talked to every one that was their. We had such a fun time and even went on some excursions with fellow participants.

I, for one, appreciate you taking on heading up out meet & greet Staci! I'm still surprised about the afternoon time of it though, I much like it better in the mornings.

• 2 weeks later...

NCL is really generous about giving perks to those that set up the meet and greets, which is awesome.

I believe I have just been caught by the belief that it still happens. I started to gather people who were interested in a M&G on a cruise, early next year, in the middle of June this year. On the roll call I said I would make the arrangements with NCL WHEN the number of people indicating interest to me by email had reached 25. I have got to 21 and there is plenty of time to go.

Today I got an email from someone, who I don't think has even posted on the Roll Call, to say that he had arranged with NCL the M&G for the cruise.

I believe I have just been caught by the belief that it still happens. I started to gather people who were interested in a M&G on a cruise, early next year, in the middle of June this year. On the roll call I said I would make the arrangements with NCL WHEN the number of people indicating interest to me by email had reached 25. I have got to 21 and there is plenty of time to go.

Today I got an email from someone, who I don't think has even posted on the Roll Call, to say that he had arranged with NCL the M&G for the cruise.

that has happened to a friend of mine who is on Oct 2019 transatlantic

very active roll call already and she has volunteered as meet and greet co Ordinator but thought too early to contact ship

someone new to roll call has announced she is official meet and greet co Ordinator which has gone over like a lead balloon!

I have organised several meet and greets and more times than not there are no perks

Last October no perks but a lady at the meet badgered the NCL rep for an invite to the captains party and was heard boasting to people that she had to get back to the ship to attend the party as she organised the meet and greet-I thought it was hilarious that people can be so shameless!

Back to original question-I have never known NCL to provide invitations and they do not advertise in freestyle daily as it is a private party

this caused problems on our just completed cruise when the venue and time of meet and greet was changed last minute and unable to contact everyone to let them know as people had stopped checking roll call once cruise started

as a result only 14 out of 48 attended

I did receive an invite to the captains party but not sure if that would have been extended anyway or as an apology for the mess up

Thank you "fabnfortysomething".

I know in the past that the person who arranged the M&G was treated like"royalty" and I wonder if the persons who have "gazumped" me and your friend are working on the premise that that is still happening. I really hope so and that they get their "reward" on board when it doesn't happen.

I arranged two on two cruises earlier this year and was "looked" after, no real "perks" just treated well, but I knew all the senior staff as we had traveled on the same ship for 40 days 12 months ago.

I hope your friend's fellow travelers let the person know just what they think. I am certainly laying it on thick in response to posts on my Roll Call.

Sorry to hear about your venue and time change for your M&G. I take care of that sort of thing by NOT having a general sign up on the Roll Call but by requiring a commitment to me by email and all communication is then by BCC emails to those interested. Then I "need" their cabin numbers so that I can communicate with them by letter. when on board. When possible I try to get the M&G to be on the second sea day so I can communicate.

Wow! I've arranged 4 meetups on NCL now, never with *any* expectation of getting something personally from the cruiseline. I just want a sanctioned space to meet and the hope of some attendance by senior ship's staff.

I do it because I enjoy meeting my fellow roll call members! The first one I did in 2002 on the Star, we met in an outdoor bar and the hotel director stopped by and bought us a drink (it was a small group). By 2015 on the Pearl, they had a group activity coordinator on board who had the space, refreshments, and name tags plus nearly every director level member of staff in attendance. I was very impressed by the Pearl's commitment to welcoming CC groups.

IMHO the organizer of the meetup doesn't deserve extra special treatment from NCL. I'm taken aback that CC members compete over it and I'm embarrassed that CC members behave like that! Like it somehow puts a stink on me too!

I've got a small group meetup arranged on the Pearl again for next month. My favorite part by far is that, as a graphic designer, I have a blast creating a fun invitation to distribute to our attendees once on board and my own name tags. My biggest hope is to get a few more people in the roll call so we have a bigger group to make it worth NCLs efforts! I share Casofilia's tactic of requesting that attendees commit by email and provide stateroom numbers. I always promise them I'm not planning to take it as a sign that we've become BFFs and will start sending spammy forwards every day LOL.

Edited by Shellbelle28

By 2015 on the Pearl, they had a group activity coordinator on board who had the space, refreshments, and name tags plus nearly every director level member of staff in attendance. I was very impressed by the Pearl's commitment to welcoming CC groups.

At the ones I have done on NCL have been just like that, the GAC has been really great.

I fully agree with the rest of your post.

Thank you again "fabnfortysomething".

Would your friend please drop me a line at casofilia at xtra dot co dot nz with any detail about the person who did it just in case it is the same person?

Thanks

Mike

Just read through your Roll Call... that is bizarre. I can only assume that person is confused.

We are doing a lot of cruises next year as it is a long (and expensive) trip from NZ to Miami to "do" the Caribbean and then to do a TA to visit family in the UK.

I enjoy the M&G system on NCL but tend to wait a while to see the number of postings on the Roll Calls before offering to do the arranging. It is usually possible to judge the response to a M&G offer early on. Personally I like a M&G of about 40 as I have a way of involving people in Meeting, Greeting and Mixing which is what I consider one real reason for a M&G (the other being to meet the officers). I hate a M&G of 80+ people who only sit and talk to their neighbours, often in the same party!!

So I was keeping an eye on one of the cruises, as the Roll Call was very slow, when the following appeared:-

I would be happy to organize the Meet and Greet. If anyone is interested we can also arrange other activities like a slot pull or a cabin crawl. I will start a running list of who is interested. I can also start another group on a certain unmentionable website if there is interest.

I thought fair enough someone has beaten me to it, saves me having to do the work. The list turned out to be a list of those who had posted and had nothing to do with a M&G.

Later the following appeared:-

I created a list of those on this roll call so far. I will update as we get closer to the cruise and add it on the unmentionable site. Please let me know if you are interested in attending the Meet and Greet and how many people will be attending. I will set it up.

It sounds as if the person is not at all interested in arranging anything for that cruise; just setting the actual M&G up. Someone else just looking for the perks!!!!!

The funny thing is that the spelling of my CC Name on the list is totally different to what it is; that does not give me any confidence at all.

I have no intention of butting in and gazumping her but I wonder what the M&G will be like.

Mike

I used Vistaprint to print off some reminder cards this time around. With the discount codes that cloat around, it cost me about $10 (which included shipping) - well worth the headache, IMO, and I left the back blank to remind about any other activities we decide on (cabin crawl, slot pull, etc). I usually like to do a walkaround of the ship anyway, and since Breakaway is completely new to me, finding cabins to leave reminders will be a fun way to get used to the ship!

I bought a few boxes of cute blank cards from Xmas tree shops to write the invitations and other stuff.......I like attending the meet and greets, and I don’t mind the work to organize....

I just asked a simple question because NCL didn’t give me an answer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums