Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

From the Associated Press/AP newswire this morning, they had this headline: ‘Margaritaville’ singer Jimmy Buffett, who turned beach-bum life into an empire, dies at 76 with these highlights:Singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett, who popularized beach bum soft rock with the escapist Caribbean-flavored song “Margaritaville” and turned that celebration of loafing into an empire of restaurants, resorts and frozen concoctions, has died. He was 76.  'Jimmy passed away peacefully on the night of September 1st surrounded by his family, friends, music and dogs,' a statement posted to Buffett’s official website said late Friday.  The statement did not say where Buffett died or give a cause of death. Illness had forced him to reschedule concerts in May and Buffett acknowledged in social media posts that he had been hospitalized, but provided no specifics.

What a loss!!  And, so young!!  Middle aged like many of us "Baby Boomers".  Right?

Was fortunate to attend one of his concerts live and in-person.  Amazing style and great performer.  He was on-stage as others performed and he was really supportive and into the "grove".  Also, as shown below, visited the location at St. Barts where Jimmy supposedly got his inspiration for the famous "Cheeseburger in Paradise".  Any others have Jimmy Buffett memories, connections, etc.?

Full story at:

https://apnews.com/article/obituary-jimmy-buffett-4295f355b39237f40663d485c4c6d557

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 72,562 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

From St. Barts in 2015, we visited the location where Jimmy Buffett supposedly gained his wonderful inspiration for his hit song "Cheeseburger in Paradise".:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.7f9e5f4b59b39607320cc31fdfdfe57d.jpeg

• Like 2

Maybe in the UK and for other parts of the world, the passing of Jimmy Buffett might not seem that big.  But, as the lead story on NBC's Today Show this morning, it was THE story with a significant amount of video and music to highlight his long and successful entertainment career.  Plus, in most newspaper here this am, they are running major stories and detailed profiles such as posted earlier in that AP story. 

From the Washington Post this morning, they had these reporting highlights:Mr. Buffett, a frustrated Nashville country artist, found his muse when he moved to Key West, Fla., in spring 1972, leaving behind a failed marriage and stalled career. Surrounded by blue water, he donned Hawaiian shirts, cutoff shorts and flip-flops, grabbed an old blender, and embraced the quirky beach community with his musical soul.  'It was a scene,' he told Playboy magazine. 'Everyone went out and applauded the sunset every night. Bales of marijuana washed up on the shore. There were great cheap Cuban restaurants … Key West seemed like the End: East Coast Division — a common reason people wind up there, especially writers, artists, musicians and other interesting derelicts, drawn by the idea that Key West is the final stroke of a great comma in the map of North America, suggesting more to come but maybe not.' 

Here are a few more details from this comprehensive Post reporting: "His commercial breakthrough was the 1977 release 'Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes,' which featured his only top 10 hit, the mellow and wistful singalong 'Margaritaville.' He sold more than 20 million albums, his popularity propelled by such tunes as 'Come Monday,' 'Havana Daydreamin' ' and 'Son of a Son of a Sailor.'  An incurable storyteller who populated his songs with tales of beach bums, drug smugglers and pirates, he also wrote best-selling books."

Full Post story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2023/09/02/jimmy-buffett-margaritaville-singer-dead/

From the NY Post early this morning, this was the top story on their website with some nice visuals to celebrate his music and impact.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

image.thumb.png.0682a9d39ddd0a89c0aaf518eda7e97b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was surprised to read in the Wikipedia biography of Jimmy Buffett that he was a supporter and major donor to the Gulf Specimen Marine Lab in Panacea, Florida, just a few miles from our house at Alligator Point.  If you are ever in the area, it is a very interesting place to visit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Emtbsams said:

I was surprised to read in the Wikipedia biography of Jimmy Buffett that he was a supporter and major donor to the Gulf Specimen Marine Lab in Panacea, Florida, just a few miles from our house at Alligator Point.  If you are ever in the area, it is a very interesting place to visit.

Great suggestion and detail about Jimmy Buffett and his support for that marine laboratory near your location in Florida. According to Forbes Magazine, Buffett had a very savvy business brain and put together a fortune estimated to total about $600 million. When you have that much money, you can be very generous and support many worthy causes.

Excellent to know that your Alligator Point location did not get damaged too badly by the recent hurricane attacking your general part of the Sunshine State.  

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I aspired to be a parrothead. Alas, twas not to be, but i enjoyed the music and Jimmy Buffet’s  great infectious smile. Too soon. Whatever he had took him fast.

May his memory be eternal. 

So surprised to wake up to this news because he was so young. There is much sadness in my area, as he has a home in Palm Beach, was well known locally and the now-grown children of several friends went to school with his daughter Savannah.  His music epitomized the laidback lifestyle in many beach towns before they became so commercial. 

One of my friends is a longtime ParrotHead and part of a group that traveled the world to attend his concerts, including an annual jaunt (pre-Covid) for his concerts in Paris.   I always thought that was such a fun reason (excuse?) to travel. 

And it’s a safe prediction that many margaritas will be hoisted today in tribute to Jimmy Buffett.  

• Like 4

Fusina (Venice) to Fusina (Venice) – Silver Spirit 9 to 16 of August

We made our reservation directly with Silversea port to port. For this cruise we did not get the Venetian Society discount or any OBC.

We made our own arrangements for transportations and hotels pre and post cruise.

Our trip started with 2 days in Milano, and from there we took the train to Venice 1 day prior to embarkation.

We booked a hotel in Venice very closed to Piazzale Roma, where all public transportation arrives), just 2 bridges. Very convenient to go from the train station and to access the People Mover.

On the embarkation day we got the People Mover to Maritima Terminal where we met Silversea check in point and where the Silversea bus departed to the pier in Fusina (20-30 minutes ride).

Embarkation was pretty ease. When we arrived at the ship, our cabin was ready. It was a veranda suite close to elevators, stairs, and launderette. More convenient, impossible.

The amenities were from Seba Med that I didn’t know before.

amenities.thumb.jpeg.b4afdc9061892622885b0b5effc88d4e.jpeg

Service can improve. In 2 days, we arrived from lunch and our suite wasn’t service yet and, in the evening, as well, sometimes service was very late.

In the pool bar, on some occasions, we aske for a drink an got another one.

Food was good or very good in all restaurants we visited, and we visited all of them. We only had the house wines and drinks, and we were happy with that.

Included tours: mixed feelings. It saves you from research but sometimes is just staying in a bus. Next cruise I will be more diligent in choosing the tours.

Entertainment is certainly a point to improve. I took my dancing shoes, but DJ started very late. First day at 22:30, 22:45; 22:45; 23:30…..and played a lot of Latin music that I do not like….Shows were not motivating…..

The ports of call were very good to excellent. All new for us.  Trieste (best pastries and ice cream for all trip); Zadar, Hvar (best beaches and trail), Dubrovnik (as crowded as Venice, Game of Thrones, very good street market), Split and Opatija (good beaches).

Disembarkation was easy as well. We got back to the same hotel for more 3 days in Venice. In From there we drove to Milano and have more 4 days around the city and cities nearby. The best one was Bergamo.

In Milano we had the opportunity to visit an exhibition about Amazon in Brazil, very good coincidence.

amazonia.thumb.jpeg.31ae03098c0365cce4ec9acebad848b8.jpeg

Now we are back home planning new adventures. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

So surprised to wake up to this news because he was so young. There is much sadness in my area, as he has a home in Palm Beach, was well known locally and the now-grown children of several friends went to school with his daughter Savannah.  His music epitomized the laidback lifestyle in many beach towns before they became so commercial. 

One of my friends is a longtime ParrotHead and part of a group that traveled the world to attend his concerts, including an annual jaunt (pre-Covid) for his concerts in Paris.   I always thought that was such a fun reason (excuse?) to travel. 

And it’s a safe prediction that many margaritas will be hoisted today in tribute to Jimmy Buffett.  

Indeed he was very young. Just 4 days older than myself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lirio said:

Fusina (Venice) to Fusina (Venice) – Silver Spirit 9 to 16 of August

We made our reservation directly with Silversea port to port. For this cruise we did not get the Venetian Society discount or any OBC.

We made our own arrangements for transportations and hotels pre and post cruise.

Our trip started with 2 days in Milano, and from there we took the train to Venice 1 day prior to embarkation.

We booked a hotel in Venice very closed to Piazzale Roma, where all public transportation arrives), just 2 bridges. Very convenient to go from the train station and to access the People Mover.

On the embarkation day we got the People Mover to Maritima Terminal where we met Silversea check in point and where the Silversea bus departed to the pier in Fusina (20-30 minutes ride).

Embarkation was pretty ease. When we arrived at the ship, our cabin was ready. It was a veranda suite close to elevators, stairs, and launderette. More convenient, impossible.

The amenities were from Seba Med that I didn’t know before.

amenities.thumb.jpeg.b4afdc9061892622885b0b5effc88d4e.jpeg

Service can improve. In 2 days, we arrived from lunch and our suite wasn’t service yet and, in the evening, as well, sometimes service was very late.

In the pool bar, on some occasions, we aske for a drink an got another one.

Food was good or very good in all restaurants we visited, and we visited all of them. We only had the house wines and drinks, and we were happy with that.

Included tours: mixed feelings. It saves you from research but sometimes is just staying in a bus. Next cruise I will be more diligent in choosing the tours.

Entertainment is certainly a point to improve. I took my dancing shoes, but DJ started very late. First day at 22:30, 22:45; 22:45; 23:30…..and played a lot of Latin music that I do not like….Shows were not motivating…..

The ports of call were very good to excellent. All new for us.  Trieste (best pastries and ice cream for all trip); Zadar, Hvar (best beaches and trail), Dubrovnik (as crowded as Venice, Game of Thrones, very good street market), Split and Opatija (good beaches).

Disembarkation was easy as well. We got back to the same hotel for more 3 days in Venice. In From there we drove to Milano and have more 4 days around the city and cities nearby. The best one was Bergamo.

In Milano we had the opportunity to visit an exhibition about Amazon in Brazil, very good coincidence.

amazonia.thumb.jpeg.31ae03098c0365cce4ec9acebad848b8.jpeg

Now we are back home planning new adventures. 

Interesting about the Sebamed.  It was not available last summer on the Moon.  I'm hoping it will be available on the Shadow in December. 

• Like 1