Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Have a new "oldie" to share.  She's Mae West!!  Yes, she had lots of cute lines and comments.  A real classic!!  I'm sure everyone here at the Cooler is too young to remember her movies and life, right?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

694565423_ScreenShot2020-05-23at8_39_14AM.thumb.png.03d104cd84f1b0cae955c47978e91f69.png

1161786450_ScreenShot2020-05-23at8_38_36AM.thumb.png.ad239a033554cbe25b5a9e041a7ba05f.png

53 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning....a grilled burger? I can do that......a slice of cheese please🙂...no bun. But the meat? YUM!

I really want you to eat yourself well.  It turns out that a slice of natural cheese IS good for you as is butter etc and you are allowed the odd small bun. Not just as many as many people choose to eat.  We've been eating natural fats and proteins for a long while.   It turns out they are anti-inflamitory.  And the odd burger is not bad for you. 

Calories was a product of physics and nothing whatsoever to do with human physiology.  A calorie is the amount of energy it takes to increase the temperature of one litre of water by one degree.  The body has never needed that information and does not understand anything at all about calories. If the stuff we're told about calories were true then 100 calories would be burned off at the same rate irrespective of where it came from. Our bodies treats 100 calories of white bread differently to 100 calories of cashew nuts.  No one told our bodies about calories. And you cannot lose weight by exercise.  Exercise is essential for healthy living but nothing to do with weight control.  You need to walk five miles to burn off a couple of doughnuts and no one would ever do that.   It understands the conversion and distribution and storage and immedieate use of starchy and refined carbs and sugars to fats etc. That is what it has always done.  Our bodies learn much slower than our changing diets.

When we look back on the dietary advice people were given over this century they will ask how did all that happen?  It was  the food industry, pharma industry sometimes badly and sometimes well intentioned and sometimes highly selective but terrible abuse of data.  No one intended harm, but harm was and is done and literally millions died when converted from healthy diets that our bodies learned to process over tens of thousands of years to unhealthy diets to a degree made worst by medications.  People were not obese and few people had diabetes #2 100 years ago. 

I think it useful that we try and understand all this stuff better and make our own decisions.

Again ... I ramble.  But I'd so love you to be instrumental in your recovery with all these challenges you have. 

Jeff 🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff, actually I have an appt with a Nutritionist coming up......she is a referral and I am open to learning about

all of this........never too old to learn.   She works with people with diabetes and it will be over the phone (in this age

of the virus).   I do know I will start walking around the community again.  It is imperative I start getting some type

of exercise.  Even just a 20-30 minute walk.........I know that is better than none.

I do know about the major parts.......the carbs are all what turns to sugar and I just have to figure out the best way

to keep my glucose numbers in a normal to somewhat normal range.  Food, meds, ...right now some of both. Maybe,

eventually just food and eating better. But right now, I am trying my best with both. 

Oh,  I have ALWAYS loved a good Cheeseburger🙂.........I even made a couple last weekend.......under the broiler.

I don't have a grill and did not want to pan fry them. 

I even bought a pint of that REBEL ice cream mentioned earlier in this thread.  I haven't tried it yet but the carbs/

sugar are VERY low...........

13 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Jeff, actually I have an appt with a Nutritionist coming up......she is a referral and I am open to learning about

all of this........never too old to learn.   She works with people with diabetes and it will be over the phone (in this age

of the virus).   I do know I will start walking around the community again.  It is imperative I start getting some type

of exercise.  Even just a 20-30 minute walk.........I know that is better than none.

I do know about the major parts.......the carbs are all what turns to sugar and I just have to figure out the best way

to keep my glucose numbers in a normal to somewhat normal range.  Food, meds, ...right now some of both. Maybe,

eventually just food and eating better. But right now, I am trying my best with both. 

Oh,  I have ALWAYS loved a good Cheeseburger🙂.........I even made a couple last weekend.......under the broiler.

I don't have a grill and did not want to pan fry them. 

I even bought a pint of that REBEL ice cream mentioned earlier in this thread.  I haven't tried it yet but the carbs/

sugar are VERY low...........

Hi,

I'm so pleased you're doing all you can to get to grips with this stuff.  I'm also very battle-scarred generally CC-wise and wary about anything that's seen as being medical related.  But you do yourself a lot of good to learn as much as you can about what makes us well and unwell.  It isn't about asking others random questions but sadly listenening ot sometimes difficulat to grasp medical and science people talking to others of their kind.  So sometimes you might benefit to listenening to an hour or two of stuff twice.  There are no life-back guarantees when given bad advice.

For a dietary poiunt of view, I think we just need to be aware that many people with diabetes are still being told by dieticians to eat lots of starchy carbs ie potato, pasta etc and bread etc.  That is what I was told.  We're also not told why it's important to understand that diabetes medication will make diabetes worstover time unless we also try and put it into remission alongside the medication.  Doctors may not have understood it or perhaps start with the idea that telling patients to exercise dietary self-control is  a waste of time.  But then they also were fixated on "calories in - calories out" which is and was always doomed to failure.  We're also told that natural fats like butter are poison and that what we should be eating is vegetable oils.  It seems the opposite is true. 

If you are interested in starting the thinking about stuff for yourself there is so much that can start your process of questioning.  All I can say from a personal point of view is that for the first time I have been able to lose and keep off weight and in the past I've reduce sugars and I can eat stuff that previously I've been told was harmful. 

Jason Jung has thought a lot about this and brings some of it together here.  It is not light viewing for us non-scientits and non-medicas but I'd be interested to rerad your comments.  It is intended not for ordinary people like you and me but worthwhile if you don't mind going back and relistening etc.

• Like 1

Telling diabetic patients to continue to eat items that will raise their sugar does not make a lot of sense to me. 

I know it is allowed to eat some of them in certain amounts.......and I am sure the Nutritionist will help me. 

The first session is Wed, June 3rd.  Will post about it after the fact.

14 minutes ago, mysty said:

Another bit of Mother Nature's awesome creatures.....Tasmania pink lizard looks like a flower to escape its predators.

96159607_2663692937278080_4697142046413029376_n.jpg.33d34008e405645edc022b3f47d0e69c.jpg

WOW Mysty....have never seen that before!

• Like 1

Two years ago, we had the long weekend off, and went to Germany for the weekend. 

This year, we are stuck at home. Still, there are worse places to be, and we are enjoying watching the Spring turn into summer.

So the last two days I've cooked a little German food to try and make up for it. 

Yesterday's lunch was smoked brats on the grill.

20200522_121303.thumb.jpg.4c3cfd6b0f11a492def8073b9ab4bce1.jpg

With kraut, of course!

20200522_121538.thumb.jpg.5faeec40c8deaaa024ed9fbf83d3547b.jpg

And this morning I made Kaiserschmarrn, with peaches and blackberries. 

20200523_100551.thumb.jpg.6fe7142f2b409befb6f415d0ca1335ba.jpg

Anyone ever cruised with Chef Pia? She's our favorite. She makes great German food, and on our last cruise, she taught me the easy way to make this dish.

I'd been meticulously cooking a big fluffy pancake, then cutting it up and tossing it with the fruit. She said that's way more work than you need to do. She told me to just pour the batter into the pan with the cooked fruit, let it cook a bit, then chop it up in the pan, flip the chunks around, and wait until they cook fully.

The recipe now takes only a few minutes. And it makes the chunks more ragged so they soak up more butter and sugar. Yum yum!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Two years ago, we had the long weekend off, and went to Germany for the weekend. 

This year, we are stuck at home. Still, there are worse places to be, and we are enjoying watching the Spring turn into summer.

So the last two days I've cooked a little German food to try and make up for it. 

Yesterday's lunch was smoked brats on the grill.

20200522_121303.thumb.jpg.4c3cfd6b0f11a492def8073b9ab4bce1.jpg

With kraut, of course!

20200522_121538.thumb.jpg.5faeec40c8deaaa024ed9fbf83d3547b.jpg

And this morning I made Kaiserschmarrn, with peaches and blackberries. 

20200523_100551.thumb.jpg.6fe7142f2b409befb6f415d0ca1335ba.jpg

Anyone ever cruised with Chef Pia? She's our favorite. She makes great German food, and on our last cruise, she taught me the easy way to make this dish.

I'd been meticulously cooking a big fluffy pancake, then cutting it up and tossing it with the fruit. She said that's way more work than you need to do. She told me to just pour the batter into the pan with the cooked fruit, let it cook a bit, then chop it up in the pan, flip the chunks around, and wait until they cook fully.

The recipe now takes only a few minutes. And it makes the chunks more ragged so they soak up more butter and sugar. Yum yum!

That looks fabulous!  going to have to try the Kaiserscharrn!  Brats and Kraut we do that on the grill as well!  Love it!

I put together one of two chaise lounges this morning and realized there was a missing part:  Home Depot forgot to include one of the SS pool bartenders!  It's not quite the same thing to sit on the deck without someone bringing fruit skewers, Pelligrino, and drinks with umbrellas.

For my new home, I've managed to install "magic mesh" over the deck door, put together a wooden table, and put together a storage unit and table for my Cricut.  I'm sure the delivery people and recycle people will be glad when the boxes stop coming.

Missy in Maryland

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Missy,

I have been  known to give one-to-one training with respect to making Planters Punch at home during lockdown.  

Sadly this week I hit enter on a note to a friend  helping her tune her punch with some Angostura bitters, when I noticed that I had mistyped “jug” and said “Wifey and I have just had a jig in the garden”. 

So if you want a jig in the garden, I’m your man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

That looks fabulous!  going to have to try the Kaiserscharrn!  Brats and Kraut we do that on the grill as well!  Love it!

Here's the recipe I use. 

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/kaiserschmarrn-peaches

You can follow their fancy method, or just dump the batter into the frying pan after you cook the peaches and have at it. It's a similar technique to scrambling eggs. If so, make sure you add the extra butter that you would have used to fry the pancake separately. You don't want to use too little butter!

And, half the recipe, with two peaches and a small container of berries, is plenty for two.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Here's the recipe I use. 

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/kaiserschmarrn-peaches

You can follow their fancy method, or just dump the batter into the frying pan after you cook the peaches and have at it. It's a similar technique to scrambling eggs. If so, make sure you add the extra butter that you would have used to fry the pancake separately. You don't want to use too little butter!

And, half the recipe, with two peaches and a small container of berries, is plenty for two.

Thank you Going to try this tomorrow morning!

• Like 1

Cracking lunches Jeff and JP

Misty I've never seen one of those before! Is it photoshopped? 

Missy, I'm sorry they missed out such an important part.

This evening I was a little disappointed as I had a beautiful rack of lamb to cook but none of my lavender is flowering yet so had to make do with home produced honey and rosemary. Served with minted Jersey royal crush, carrots, cabbage leek and bacon and a redcurrant jelly jus.

20200523_200734.jpg

20200523_201444.jpg

20200523_201603.jpg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Davey, you're putting North Wales higher and higher on my must-do list!

Davey, we agree that the photos of your food, and of your hotel, look beautiful and very inviting.  However, you said that you have not been in the kitchen for years before this pandemic.  Before we sign up for JP's CC weekend at the Abbey, we want to know how your chef's cooking compares to yours. 🤔

Also, we did not believe the picture of the lizard was real.  A google search did not produce any info except for the same picture posted here.

ps: JP, we just picked up a bottle of Tanqueray for G&Ts at Exit 9.

Edited by FlyingScotSailors
added ps
  • Like 2

Well gentlefolk if it was photoshopped it was certainly not by my hand.  A friend posted it and I "stole" it.  Apologies for the lack of research on my part.  Mea Culpa!  🙄