Jump to content

Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five


CCHelp
 Share

Recommended Posts

I recently watched a repeat of a Rick Stein documentary about Shanghai's food culture and I was so taken by a 'red' pork belly dish I just had to cook it myself.  It was said to be Chairman Mao's favourite dish. You need so-called 'five layer' pork belly with the skin on.  It's a one-dish wonder.

 

You start by frying ginger and spring onions.  Add cinnamon, bay leaf and star anise.  Brown the pork belly pieces. Deglaze with Shaoxing rice wine. Add dark and light soy sauce and sugar.  Cover and cook for 30 mins or so, add balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 20 minutes, then remove lid and boil down until thick and syrupy. Garnish with spring onions and serve with steamed rice.  It was truly delicious.

 

 

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I recently watched a repeat of a Rick Stein documentary about Shanghai's food culture and I was so taken by a 'red' pork belly dish I just had to cook it myself.  It was said to be Chairman Mao's favourite dish. You need so-called 'five layer' pork belly with the skin on.  It's a one-dish wonder.

 

You start by frying ginger and spring onions.  Add cinnamon, bay leaf and star anise.  Brown the pork belly pieces. Deglaze with Shaoxing rice wine. Add dark and light soy sauce and sugar.  Cover and cook for 30 mins or so, add balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 20 minutes, then remove lid and boil down until thick and syrupy. Garnish with spring onions and serve with steamed rice.  It was truly delicious.

 

 

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

 

That dish looks like a slice of heavenly yum!  Scrumptious!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I recently watched a repeat of a Rick Stein documentary about Shanghai's food culture and I was so taken by a 'red' pork belly dish I just had to cook it myself.  It was said to be Chairman Mao's favourite dish. You need so-called 'five layer' pork belly with the skin on.  It's a one-dish wonder.

 

You start by frying ginger and spring onions.  Add cinnamon, bay leaf and star anise.  Brown the pork belly pieces. Deglaze with Shaoxing rice wine. Add dark and light soy sauce and sugar.  Cover and cook for 30 mins or so, add balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 20 minutes, then remove lid and boil down until thick and syrupy. Garnish with spring onions and serve with steamed rice.  It was truly delicious.

 

 

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

 

diet fork -rz.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After our four nights away indulging in catch with friends for lunch and dinner, I need zqtchas's fork and to burn a lot more than 2000 calories mysty 😂.

 

Since we can't travel anywhere else but Perth we decided to indulge in an episode of  "Lifestyle's of the Rich and Famous". It helped they offered a big discount.

 

IMG_5441.thumb.jpeg.fc6969b5d5790dafc3b13e978f61ed07.jpegIMG_5447.thumb.jpeg.19f15c00d76958bd8b123a955184f2aa.jpegIMG_5451.thumb.jpeg.a79188ad060a726dace2d13b0b997ff7.jpeg

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

After our four nights away indulging in catch with friends for lunch and dinner, I need zqtchas's fork and to burn a lot more than 2000 calories mysty 😂.

 

Since we can't travel anywhere else but Perth we decided to indulge in an episode of  "Lifestyle's of the Rich and Famous". It helped they offered a big discount.

 

IMG_5441.thumb.jpeg.fc6969b5d5790dafc3b13e978f61ed07.jpegIMG_5447.thumb.jpeg.19f15c00d76958bd8b123a955184f2aa.jpegIMG_5451.thumb.jpeg.a79188ad060a726dace2d13b0b997ff7.jpeg

 

WOW!  That looks amazing!  And you are a beautiful couple!  Enjoy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mysty said:

 

WOW!  That looks amazing!  And you are a beautiful couple!  Enjoy!

 

Thanks mysty. I hope you enjoyed your birthday. I totally understand the dilemma about age but have decided to enjoy my 60s as I am lucky to do so with my life partner. Since we never know what is around the corner I am trying to enjoy each day as it comes...but sometimes the petulant 2yo in me still comes out and throws a tantrum.😁

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

B-Day Dinner at Black Tartan Kitchen

236672029_BTNovember.JPG.8c1f9da989c9595750882da6950e02f2.JPG

 

1st Course - Charcuterie board

IMG_20211112_203141.jpg.ebb427929925b6041b38fb3c504ba316.jpg

 

2nd Course - French Onion Soup

IMG_20211112_205116.jpg.55a571ee3d66685df7a3f50d4ba014c2.jpg

 

3rd Course - Scallops with bacon bits and pork rind

IMG_20211112_211612.jpg.2437496cf3d9a493e1b5b963a8dfaa5f.jpg

 

4th Course - Beets

IMG_20211112_213619.jpg.9eb35f4c8689abc9fe91cb51fba2e2c3.jpg

 

5th Course - Duck 

IMG_20211112_220150.jpg.bac21986d1279cbabfa881143fdcd281.jpg

 

6th Course - Sorbet with Cotton Candy

IMG_20211112_223237.jpg.75481f453f92a7dc0383ddc0b3ccd07d.jpg

 

7th Course - Pumpkin Mousse

IMG_20211112_225202.jpg.223ff8fe455d38934401aefcd157693d.jpg

 

So much awesomeness!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beautiful pictures from all of you - thank you,  Perth, the Rockies, to great food from a special place in Canada.  Thrilling.  And to that young man up North, I too wish all soup had cheese on top!

Wife took this picture here in Southern Virginia yesterday.  Not my native state, but I love this place.

 

 

image.png.2d02a17a6f3a6e4fa2c948a9b626d810.png

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made my go-to easy braised duck legs recipe today for dinner. The booster shot yesterday kicked my butt and I was too tired to cook anything fancy.

 

20211113_172142.thumb.jpg.f17a44c18a32578c87cce148790eed9a.jpg

 

Duck legs, fried until the skin is crisp, then braised in broth over vegetables, herbs, and potatoes. Minimum effort. Yummy with a small berry Mourvèdre from Sonoma.

 

This has been a very hectic work week. Wednesday was non-stop busy. Thursday I worked the Holiday and it was busy again. Was hoping for a mellow Friday, but...

 

Yesterday was total chaos. Everything went south starting around 3PM while I was trying to wrap up and call it a week. Got 3 calls for emergencies within a 10 minute span. 

 

Didn't get home until almost 6PM then had to scramble for dinner before our dance lesson. And to top it off I got a "bonus" call from the hospital at 12:30, even though I wasn't on call, because they couldn't find the guy who was. 🤬 Just what I needed after a miserable week.

 

So I took a nap this afternoon while the duck was in the oven. At least today was a dark, rainy day, so I didn't feel lazy doing as little as possible! 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I made my go-to easy braised duck legs recipe today for dinner. The booster shot yesterday kicked my butt and I was too tired to cook anything fancy.

 

20211113_172142.thumb.jpg.f17a44c18a32578c87cce148790eed9a.jpg

 

Duck legs, fried until the skin is crisp, then braised in broth over vegetables, herbs, and potatoes. Minimum effort. Yummy with a small berry Mourvèdre from Sonoma.

 

This has been a very hectic work week. Wednesday was non-stop busy. Thursday I worked the Holiday and it was busy again. Was hoping for a mellow Friday, but...

 

Yesterday was total chaos. Everything went south starting around 3PM while I was trying to wrap up and call it a week. Got 3 calls for emergencies within a 10 minute span. 

 

Didn't get home until almost 6PM then had to scramble for dinner before our dance lesson. And to top it off I got a "bonus" call from the hospital at 12:30, even though I wasn't on call, because they couldn't find the guy who was. 🤬 Just what I needed after a miserable week.

 

So I took a nap this afternoon while the duck was in the oven. At least today was a dark, rainy day, so I didn't feel lazy doing as little as possible! 

 

Meal looks amazing JP!  Your week sounds gruesome!  Hopefully things will improve!  And swat that turkey who called you when he was s**t  up the creek with no paddle! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Just what I needed after a miserable week.

 

 

8 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Thank you for your care of the vets.

 

We love and respect what you do JP, like Mysty & spins says.

The food picture looks delicious.

Difficult nights around us here tend to result in delivered pizza, my hat is off to you & Chris.

Edited by QueSeraSera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways Announces an Extended Season on the Douro River
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...