LIVE from Grand Princess 01/07/06 Sailing

LauraS

• Administrators

I promised, so here I am!

We had an uneventful flight on AA from LGA....arrived in Houston Hobby - located Host Randy, and were picked up by Emerald Limo (longest white stretch I've ever seen) and were in Galveston by noontime.

We stayed at the Tremont House which we all booked months ago --Internet Special at $119. Huge HUGE room -- two queen beds, very nicely decorated and a historic hotel to boot. A definite recommend on the Tremont. Right on the Strand as well.

I'm traveling with my niece, Tara 19. We immediately hit the Strand for shopping...

Finally, after all our Hosts & their guests arrived, we walked over for dinner at Fisherman's Wharf. Excellent food, so much on the plate! We all left some behind....

Then, we headed to Katcruiser's house, who was kind enough to open her STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS historic home to us. We had a tour, got a holiday punch....and eventually headed back to the Tremont.

• Administrators

Continuing as replies, just in case (natch).

Anyway, one fantastic feature of the Tremont is its rooftop patio....we headed up there first thing this am, to find the Grand Princess "taking over" the entire port area of Galveston. She towers over everthing!

Host Randy reported that she came in about an hour late -- he was out running this am.

t 11:30 we all walked over to the terminal, checked in and were on board by 12:30! Walking was easy -- even with all my luggage (all on wheels), although if it were any HOTTER I would opt for the cab or FREE SHUTTLE that the Tremont has.

• Administrators

I'm so glad im doing in spurts, just lost a whole reply!

Anyway -- we had our Cruise Critic gathering -- about 30 folks are now the proud owners of lanyards and mangets. It was great to meet everyone and we watched the sunset as we sailed away from Galveston together.

Now, I'm here talking to all of you!

All is well on the Grand Princess -- she looks as fresh as if she was new! Our minisuite w/ imfamous double balcony is just as I remembered it.....I love Princess mini's!

Made ressies for Sabatini's and Sterling Steakhouse.

Here's hoping tomorrow is as nice a day as it was today....sunny an clear!

Cya tomorrow,

Laura

PS: Hi Al & Dan back at home!

Thanks Laura, Looking forward to your updates this week. We'll be boarding Saturday so leave her in good shape. Keep us informed on the recent news, i.e.--tenders, schedule, electrical problems in addition to your usual cruise news.

Have a great week!!!

Laura,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post while on your vacation. We are also booked at the Tremont and we got an excellent internet deal. You were able to actually walk to the terminal? Also, was there good shopping on the Strand? Thanks!

Margie

DS and I were there dockside by the Harbor House, waving goodbye to all you CC folks! Was it not an absolutely *gorgeous* day to sail?? I had to laugh at your comment about it being hot, though, Laura... hee hee... it was so cool today!! We actually had a small cool front blow through, and it was much nicer today than it had been the past week or so. We were chilly by the water. :)

Have a GREAT cruise, all you CC pax onboard!

-gina-

Thanks for the updates, Laura – it will be interesting to follow you on your trip given some of the Grand Princess issues in the last couple of weeks. I have a friend sailing next week, so I’m sure your reports will whet his appetite…

Thanks so much for checking in. If at all possible, can someone please fill us in as to what the ship's problems are that have been reported during the past weeks....are there electrical issues or engine issues at this time? Has the situation been fixed? Again, thanks for your comments.

Thanks so much for checking in. If at all possible, can someone please fill us in as to what the ship's problems are that have been reported during the past weeks....are there electrical issues or engine issues at this time? Has the situation been fixed? Again, thanks for your comments.

Hi. Just back from Grand 12/31-1/7. Electrical problems have been fixed. Tendering issues have not been :mad: .

• Administrators

Had to clear up dinner seating arrangements, we were all separated at traditional dining. We're all now seated together in the Michealangelo dr each night at 8. sweet

Check in was at the terminal...relatively smooth although we got their early. Us CC hosts and mods still had some suggestions tho! lol

We'll try and leave the ship in good shape, but REMEMBER HOST RANDY is on board with us.

Yes we did walk dragging all the luggage withus. I'm a 3mile a day walker and my heart was pumping tho! It is doable.

Dinner was excellent, woke up early to do my three miler -- it was too windy so did it inside! Saw what I'm sure was RCI's rhapsody of the seas heading home.......don't quote me.

So far no elec issues/ "

Infamous mini suite = mine has the double balcony.

E728 --lots of creaking, didn't bother me.

Cya later,

Laura

PS: Miss you Al & Dan

Mom

Laura

E728? Great, I'm just a few up on starboard side next week. You can answer a question for me. Next to your room there seems to be a doorway to an outside space. Is this so? Maybe next to your double balcony space. I was wondering about 728 & 729, but having never been on Grand I haven't explored yet. I'll check them out. BTW--don't let Host Randy on E deck. I want my cabin stewart to survive. Thanks

Hi Laura,

Sounds like things are going good so far.

We'll be in E729 in April. What furniture is on your extended balcony? We were in that extended balcony on the Diamond but I can't remember. Hopefully there'll be enough chairs for 6 of us since we're the only ones with a minisuite. I remember the extended balcony was nice and big.

Hello All ~ thought I'd check in quickly while it's halftime of the Bengals/Steelers game. Glad to see Laura started this thread. I remember being on the Sun last winter and that LIVE FROM THE SUN THREAD is STILL going...so all of you cruising after us have to keep this thread alive ;) .

As Laura said, it's been great so far. No issues for us once we got to Galveston. Our flight from Sarasota to Houston (on Continental) was cancelled and we were never notified by the airline. I could see if it were just me, but since Amanda and I both had reservations and both get our regular One Pass emails from Continental, I didn't believe them when they said they notified us by email of the cancellation. Neither of us recall an email with a flight change. They put us on a commuter flight two hours later to Tampa (it was a CESSNA....I'm not kidding) and then on a flight to Houston. That made us almost three hours late getting into Houston. But fortunately, I called Emerald Limo early in the morning to advise of the delay and I notified Host Graham and Patrick as they were sharing the shuttle with us. They were all very kind and waited for us. Alice was our driver and she was terrific. I wouldn't hesitate to use Emerald as your transfer service.

We were at the Tremont as well and loved it (sorry Laura, our rate was $101) and I found the service staff here to be great. I suggested walking (I'd say it's a total walk of three city blocks to get to the ship terminal) but would recommend a cab or the shuttle if the weather is bad or if you have folks who have difficulty walking with luggage. Our group did very well!

The boarding process went very quickly and since we've been on board all has gone very well. Amanda and I are in C752 (a Cat BB cabin) which is in the aft corner on deck 10. I love it. Our balcony is oversized as well and the cabin is quite roomy for the two of us. Plenty of storage space (we even have some empty drawer space!) and our bathroom is very large as far as ships bathrooms go. Our cabin attendant, Lovelia, is very sweet and has kept the room in perfect shape so far. Our wait staff at dinner was outstanding last night and is probably already wondering how they got the wacky table of CC hosts.

I had a pedicure and nail polish change today in the salon. Very expensive (you already know that I'm sure) but I didn't have time to do any of this stuff before leaving home.

One of the things I'm most impressed with is the quality of the movie screen on the pool deck. They have been showing football all day and even in the sunlight, the picture quality and sound are just fantastic. It does change the atmosphere of the main pool deck, though. We'll see what it's like tomorrow when the weekend is past.

It is still a bit cool today (lots of clouds mixed with sunshine). We're ready for a sunny beach day tomorrow in Costa Maya.

This is my fourth time on a Grand Class ship and I'm still not a fan of some of the design elements -- you can't go up the stairs all the way on the mid-ship and aft staircases for example; and the Horizon Court buffet area is a tight space with no real flow that makes it very cramped and crowded. But overall, these issues are minor and it's wonderful just being on a cruise with our Cruise Critic friends.

The overhead twinkling lights in the dining room were not working last night. We asked our waiter about them (seeing if he could tell us if it was related to any of the electrical issues of the recent sailings) but he didn't seem to know. He promised us that they would all be on tonight. :)

So far, Host Randy is behaving himself, but then we didn't stay out late with him last night so ..... who knows for sure. I can tell you that Laura and Host Graham are definitely behaving!

Until later.....

This is great.................my daughter and son-in-law are on this cruise and with you guys checking in I'll get to know how the weather and everything else is. I did WARN (opps tell her) alot of cruisecritic's will be on there............Just look for the wild group. There names are Joey and Kim just incase you run into them...........

Glad you're all having a good time.............

Sandy

Laura, you guys need to join Randy in the chapel at 10 in the evenings!! He's been getting on the cam, but it would be great to see all of you guys!!!!!

Glad to hear you guys are having a great time!!! Sounds like a wonderful ship!!! Make sure you give Randy plenty of spankins on Tuesday :D

539911090TBQgxi_ph.jpg

Thanks for your live updates. We will be on the Grand on Jan 21 and we can't wait since it has been raining steadily here for the last 21 days - we don't even remember what sun looks like.

Please tell us the weather is great for the Grand!

Raining for 21 days...are you in the flooded areas in CA? My DH and I were in the northern CA '86 and '97 floods. Now where we live I wish we could just get a day of snow. Scared we are going to have a horrible dry fire season this summer like we did a few summers ago.

Archived