What are the chances of changing our dining preference on the boat?

jp2746

When we booked our cruise, early dining was full and we were forced into your time dining. We were on the waitlist but received a notice today that they were not able to accommodate our request for early dining. I am really bummed because we love meeting the waitstaff and seeing them every night. They get to know us and our drinks are waiting for us when we arrive. I just think that this is a huge part of our cruise experience that is special to us. We went on the same boat twice and we were able to see our servers from the year before. They remembered all eight of us and called us each by our first name. (That was on RC). This is our first cruise on Carnival and I would love to have that same experience. Is there any way to get that changed on the boat or are we set to YTD? What is the likelihood of getting early dining before we cruise if the ship is sold out? My concern as well is that we have eight people in our party and like to be together and alone as it is an extended family vacation and we enjoy our evening dinners together since we don't live in the same city. Has anyone had experience with getting that changed after the confirmation email? We sail on Sunday. Thanks

On embarkation day the Maitre' D or one of their staff will be available at the dining room, usually between 1:00 and 3:00... There, you will be able to request whatever dining arrangements you're interested in. There is no guarantee, but they will try to accommodate your wishes...

There will be a time and place to meet with the maitre d' on embarkation day. Check with Guest Services or in the Fun Times.

Many people report success in having their requests met.

If that fails your party of 8 can eat together in Any Time Dining. Show up together and request a table for 8.

Yes like the other two have said go to the MDR on embarkation day. The Maitre' D will try to help you in any way he/she can. My DW and I go to the MDR every cruise even if we are supposedly set, just to make sure we are. One cruise out of 5 our dinning time was NOT right:eek: and the Maitre' D made it all right. Also as for having the same wait staff all cruise, I have heard of people on here requesting the same wait staff they had the night before in YTD, with success (the whole cruise) so FYI:D. Lastly, Benjamin Franklin is a great motivator for the Maitre' D to get a switch to early dinning.:*

As Alaskan Joe pointed out you can walk up and request the same wait staff every night. I have done this on more than one occasion and I have also request not to have a certain wait staff due due to various reasons. I consider that a plus.

Thanks so much for the advice! I will visit the MDR when we get on the boat. If we don't get early dining, it sounds like YTD isn't so bad.

Yes it will be fine. On most nights at YTD we end up sitting near the same people each night anyway. If you come early, you can just ask for the same table each night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you talk to the maitre'D, if he can not accommodate switching your group to early dining, as there are a limited number of tables for groups at set time dining, you may want to ask that they hold a big enough YTD at a specific time each night. Normally the YTD dining does not take reservations, but if you are sure your party will eat every night at roughly the same time they might do it, especially if you are looking to eat early. This way it will almost be like traditional set time dining, same table, service team, and little to no wait to be seated.

Like I said it's only a possibility and if the maitre'D does come through, a cash tip by the end of the cruise directly given to him would be customary. Even with a table being held they may ask that each night about 15-20 minutes prior to the time arranged that at least one member of the party gets in line to check-in with the hostess.

You might also be able to increase your chances if you purchase Faster to the Fun if it's available. Here's one of the perks: Priority Dinner Time Assignment: FTTF guests will be cleared after VIFP Platinum guests. This benefit does not include specific time reservations for 'Your Time Dining'.

Note: VIFP Diamond guests and guests traveling in deluxe suite accommodations are guaranteed their dining in the Main Dining Room.

As the others have said, go see the maitre d' on embarkation day. We booked a last minute trip once & were waitlisted for YTD. When we checked in, our cards said late dining. This absolutely does not work for us. We spoke with the maitre d' & while he was not able to give us YTD, he did offer an early dining slot at a table with another couple. We took it and had a great week. The other couple was pleasant & we enjoyed sharing stories about our day.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the advice! I will visit the MDR when we get on the boat. If we don't get early dining, it sounds like YTD isn't so bad.

Your chances will increase exponentially if you don't call it a boat once when you board the ship and begin making requests to the staff. :D