Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

On 3/7/2022 at 6:27 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

There is no basic package. Drinks are included for everyone - certain spirits (Gordon’s, Beefeater Gin, Famous Grouse whisky etc plus tw white and two red wines that change daily, a rose and a sparkling wine. There are 2 upgraded drinks packages - Premium (which includes a greater range of spirits & beers, and the Ultimate package which includes an even more extensive range of spirits plus upgraded wines by the glass. For both of these it’s possible for only 1 person in a cabin to buy it

Thanks for clarifying that. I have had the basic wines on previous cruises but not aware that one passenger could upgrade. On most other lines both  need to do so. Glad I asked you!

45 minutes ago, cruisinclined said:

Thanks for clarifying that. I have had the basic wines on previous cruises but not aware that one passenger could upgrade. On most other lines both  need to do so. Glad I asked you!

If you just want better wines, then you can buy wine packages https://www.azamara.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

I’ve never done it so don’t know what wines are included. May be better to wait until your onboard to check what’s available before buying.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We will soon (probably) book our first Azamara cruise on Pursuit!  I'm excited to try something new.  Can someone please clue me in on how the spa works?  I read that some upgraded categories have total access to a special spa area, and I'm confused about what is available all the time to everyone and what is "reserved" in some way.  We plan to book a veranda cabin but not the "Plus" type.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, kaymoz said:

We will soon (probably) book our first Azamara cruise on Pursuit!  I'm excited to try something new.  Can someone please clue me in on how the spa works?  I read that some upgraded categories have total access to a special spa area, and I'm confused about what is available all the time to everyone and what is "reserved" in some way.  We plan to book a veranda cabin but not the "Plus" type.  Thanks!

People in any of the suites have access to a ‘private’ deck area, accessed through the spa/gym area. This area has a thalassotherapy pool as well as sun beds. It is also possible for those in other cabins to pay to access this area, but only a limited number of places are sold.

The rest of the spa area is used for paid treatments. The gym is also in the spa area and is open to all, with free classes (yoga, stretching etc) offered every day.

"The gym is also in the spa area..."

Thank you!  Are there steam room, sauna or hot tub facilities available to all passengers?   I'm going to be confused for a while because we once sailed on Nautica, a similar class of ship with another line, and I think that ship had a steam room or sauna (or maybe both) in a part of the spa accessible to everyone.

Edited by kaymoz
clarity

2 hours ago, kaymoz said:

Thank you!  Are there steam room, sauna or hot tub facilities available to all passengers?   I'm going to be confused for a while because we once sailed on Nautica, a similar class of ship with another line, and I think that ship had a steam room or sauna (or maybe both) in a part of the spa accessible to everyone.

Yes, I’m pretty sure there is a steam room, but I’ve never used it. I also know that a few people use the showers in the spa from time to time as they are bigger and better than those in the inside, Oceanview and veranda cabins.

5 hours ago, kaymoz said:

There is a steam room in each of the changing rooms available to all. The two hot tubs by the pool are public. The thelasso pool on the spa deck terrace near the steam rooms is for the use of suite guests and those that have paid for a pass for the cruise or for those that have had a spa treatment that day. 

Phil 

• Like 1

Thanks!  Maybe all the original R ships were plumbed for steam rooms....

Our cruise begins with a sea day so maybe scheduling a massage then would have the nice benefit of thelasso pool & spa deck time.

What is Azamara's process for scheduling massage?

1 hour ago, kaymoz said:

Thanks!  Maybe all the original R ships were plumbed for steam rooms....

Our cruise begins with a sea day so maybe scheduling a massage then would have the nice benefit of thelasso pool & spa deck time.

What is Azamara's process for scheduling massage?

As soon as you have boarded, gone through the muster, go to the spa and sign up for the spa treatment.

How can we find out the time we are allowed to board?  The electronic documents we received when we booked day before yesterday don't include it and our TA is out of pocket for a week.  I'd like to work out plans for the night before embarkation, but that location depends on the timing with the ship.  Maybe it's just too soon to know?  We sail in late July.

21 minutes ago, kaymoz said:

How can we find out the time we are allowed to board?  The electronic documents we received when we booked day before yesterday don't include it and our TA is out of pocket for a week.  I'd like to work out plans for the night before embarkation, but that location depends on the timing with the ship.  Maybe it's just too soon to know?  We sail in late July.

If you haven’t already done so, you’ll need to create an account on the Azamara website.  Once you’ve done that you’ll be able to look at your cruise and book available tours; this is also where you will check in and choose your boarding time window once it’s time to do so.  

1 hour ago, kaymoz said:

As Laurieb has said its a good idea to create an account on the Azamara web site. When check in opens ( about 6 weeks prior to cruise) you will see the time slots available to board. In January the earliest was 2 pm and that is the same for our cruise at end of April. As things move forward it may be that these times get earlier for your cruise in July.

• Like 1

" In January the earliest was 2 pm and that is the same for our cruise at end of April."  

Thanks -- good to know that it probably won't be sooner than 2 pm.  The last few trips we've done (with other operators) allowed much earlier boarding, which we appreciated.  It sounds like for this trip it might be good to plan something other than heading straight to the ship from a nearby hotel!  

Edited by kaymoz

56 minutes ago, kaymoz said:

" In January the earliest was 2 pm and that is the same for our cruise at end of April."  

Thanks -- good to know that it probably won't be sooner than 2 pm.  The last few trips we've done (with other operators) allowed much earlier boarding, which we appreciated.  It sounds like for this trip it might be good to plan something other than heading straight to the ship from a nearby hotel!  

Back in the day we have boarded just after 11am although we were unable to access cabins until about 1 pm. At present these new times allow for extra cleaning.  It may revert back to earlier boarding times in the future.
To be fair when you've only 650+ guests it doesn't take as long to process as 3000+.  In the meantime, plan on exploring for a little longer on boarding day

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 5:10 AM, combine said:

Back in the day we have boarded just after 11am although we were unable to access cabins until about 1 pm. At present these new times allow for extra cleaning.  It may revert back to earlier boarding times in the future.
To be fair when you've only 650+ guests it doesn't take as long to process as 3000+.  In the meantime, plan on exploring for a little longer on boarding day

Does Azamara allow for people boarding who have had to check out of the hotel and travel with luggage to the port.  We will be travelling by train to reach the port and will have checked out of our hotel early in the morning.  On other lines when we have had a later check in time we have been able to leave luggage at the port prior to check in.

3 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

Does Azamara allow for people boarding who have had to check out of the hotel and travel with luggage to the port.  We will be travelling by train to reach the port and will have checked out of our hotel early in the morning.  On other lines when we have had a later check in time we have been able to leave luggage at the port prior to check in.

Hhmm , well there's a question!  
Would definitely  depend on port you sailing from and whether you are  entering a secure area to drop luggage. For example in Gran Canaria in January our taxi dropped us to the port luggage area and in theory  you would think we could have left it there and explored the town. However to get back into the port area we would have to show a boarding card at security which of course we didn't have until we had been through the check in process !  Barcelona World Trade Dock was a great place to just drop and go wander. 

With later boarding  times now in place, we plan on leaving our luggage at our hotel reception in Rome later this month and have a last morning wandering again until we travel to the port.

Others who have boarded this last week may have more up to date information, and it changes almost daily. So depending on when you travelling this year, you may be able to drop and go in the future.

• Like 1

We are not Newbies but have just read on another thread, that Dover Sole is available on special request, which I had not realised.  Could I ask if that is only in Discoveries? and does it have to be pre-ordered.  Are there any other delicacies we have been missing?

3 hours ago, Kimbasmum said:

We are not Newbies but have just read on another thread, that Dover Sole is available on special request, which I had not realised.  Could I ask if that is only in Discoveries? and does it have to be pre-ordered.  Are there any other delicacies we have been missing?

It's in the specialty restaurants.

• Like 3

Viewing the azamara website. The .com version seems to be ok, as does the .co.uk version. That is, until you log in.

I pointed out to the booking agent after my booking was made, but nothing appears to have changed.

I assume it's not just me? 

This is what I see after I log in on the UK site I'm shocked that a few months on, it's not been fixed. You would think the blue buttons are links... They should be, but are not.

Screenshot_2022-04-11-06-23-54-773_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d7bd2876a52c49305dd0a85a7547e776.jpg

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Viewing the azamara website. The .com version seems to be ok, as does the .co.uk version. That is, until you log in.

I pointed out to the booking agent after my booking was made, but nothing appears to have changed.

This is what I see after I log in on the UK site I'm shocked that a few months on, it's not been fixed. You would think the blue buttons are links... They should be, but are not.

Screenshot_2022-04-11-06-23-54-773_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d7bd2876a52c49305dd0a85a7547e776.jpg

I have no problems when I log in to the Azamara website using the My Account button at the top of the site. Have you tried using a different browser, or clearing your cache first DF66A18C-3B6D-492B-9BFB-3C6788B88C34.thumb.png.012c4fdf9c28c0306116d04d87130c50.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, les37b said:

This is what shows when I login on my iPhone but if I use my iPad everything shows up fine. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, les37b said:

It’s been like this for months if you use the left hand drop down menu on Azamara.co.uk you have to use the link at the top of the page which takes you to Azamara.com. This is ok on an iPad but I can’t see a link on my iPhone.

As it’s a legacy site from the RCG I can’t see there being any fix until Azamara get their own website. Hopefully it’s not too far in the future but as it needs to include a booking engine it’s not a simple thing to produce and needs a lot of testing with all the different browsers before letting it lose on the likes of us.

• Like 4