Koningsdam Question

Adoptionmsw

Hi, I’d like some advice from those of you you have cruised on the Koningsdam. My husband and I love to sit on the promenade deck to read and watch the ocean. I understand this is not possible on the Koningsdam. Is there another place one can sit, preferably on a deck chair in the shade without having to listen to piped in music?

I’ve discussed this with our HAL PCC and she thinks the only solution is to rent a personal cabana at a cost of $748 for a three week cruise.

The itinerary on this cruise is particularly interesting but we rarely do excursions and are not beach people so a quiet, shady place is extremely important to us.

I look forward to hearing from Kdam cruisers about this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

at the main pool, if you go up one level along both sides of the ship are these white sofas, as well as cushioned deck chair areas with curtains that you can pull forward (to provide some privacy in the side to side direction). I don't recall any piped music, or certainly nothing loud that interrupted ability to read. It was a very calm scene.

On day one, we weren't sure if these were 'rental' areas, but they were not rental, were open to anyone. Note that they do face towards pool, although the chairs are liftable.

While the seating area above the pool is pleasant enough, I wouldn't consider it to be quiet. I suppose it varies from cruise to cruise and the makeup of the passengers, but we found the sound from the pool combined with the music contributed to less than a peaceful atmosphere. That not a criticism, just an observation, and I suspect that your PCC might be right if you don't have a shady balcony upon which to relax.

Up on top of the Tamarind (Sun deck, 11) there's lots of loungers and you can probably drag a couple into the shade of the funnel ... but it won't have the nice ocean view of the classic promenades.

Edited by catl331

If you go to the aft pool and go up one level there's tons of chairs out there and it's pretty quiet. Depending on where the sun is you can sit on the side where the shade is or move your chair. Bay Area is directly above the pool are the busiest but if you go behind the Windbreak there's lots of room

You could book a cabin with an unobstructed balcony.

We need to have a shower, no bath tub. My experience on other HAL ships is that outside categories all have bath tubs unless you go super deluxe to get a suite with separate shower and tub. We really don’t want to spend that much. I’ll look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

We need to have a shower, no bath tub. My experience on other HAL ships is that outside categories all have bath tubs unless you go super deluxe to get a suite with separate shower and tub. We really don’t want to spend that much. I’ll look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but on the K-dam, only suites have bathtubs. HAL has gone to a shower-only layout for regular balcony cabins.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but on the K-dam, only suites have bathtubs. HAL has gone to a shower-only layout for regular balcony cabins.

I think that is correct. Even the Vista Suites only have a shower.

We’ve sailed on the Kdam twice-once in a Verandah and once in a Vista suite. Both only had showers. There is a lack of shady areas available on the ship and the upper level of the center pool is not particularly quiet. There are plenty of loungers on the upper outside decks, but very few places to get out from under the sun.

While the seating area above the pool is pleasant enough, I wouldn't consider it to be quiet. I suppose it varies from cruise to cruise and the makeup of the passengers, but we found the sound from the pool combined with the music contributed to less than a peaceful atmosphere. That not a criticism, just an observation, and I suspect that your PCC might be right if you don't have a shady balcony upon which to relax.

It is also very hot and humid if the retractable roof is not open. This also makes it noisier. This happened on several days we were on last November. It wasn't closed all day, but they were often late opening it.

Only Signature suites and higher have tubs, not Vista suites and below.

Thanks for this info. Perhaps we will splurge on a cabin with a balcony. The other alternative is to spend the $700 + on a private cabana. Or....we could skip the Kdam all together and find a cruise on one of HAL’s older ships. The three week itinerary on the Kdam is so enticing. Decisions, decisions.

Check for availability for one of the V category rooms with the large extended balcony. We were in 6128 on the K-dam last year. Lots of shade. Even though there was plenty of room, no loungers, or more than standard balcony furniture was provided (We asked).

Lovely large walk in shower-No tub.

We found both levels of the Lido pool area always hot, crowded and noisy.

There is a small amount of shaded deck space with seating near the sea view pool and bar. We rarely saw an empty seat there. The only outdoor smoking area for the ship is opposite this area. Also partially covered.

(We sailed in 3/17 and this could have changed)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

• 5 weeks later...