New chocolates on the Sapphire...

kendon

If they come with a shot of Scotch my friend Thrak will eat them all no problem...:):):)

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Well... Not if they came with that horrible Cutty Sark they provide for room service! :eek:

They used to leave marzipan and cookies on a dish (unwrapped). Am I dating myself - does anyone else remember this?

Yes. That was a welcome aboard treat.

It has been years since the welcome abord cookies were in the cabin on embarkation day.

I guess you don’t eat the canapés, chocolate covered strawberries or apples

The canapés and chocolate covered strawberries are prepared in the galley and are delivered on a covered plate by room service. They are not put individually on your bed by someone who has just cleaned your toilet.

The apples can be washed before eating. Had to wash those chocolates.

I especially like the "this is cost cutting!" outcry :p Cuz you know, if they wanted to cut costs on the night time chocolates it'd be easier to just not provide them at all instead of making 6000 or so individual chocolates each night for distribution (not to mention it's probably cheaper to buy all those mass produced chocolates by the 10's of thousands at a time then individually make them.)

Course lets hope they never go down the not providing the chocolate route, I'm with the others who like to take them home :cool:

Yes. That was a welcome aboard treat.

It has been years since the welcome abord cookies were in the cabin on embarkation day.

Forgot all about those - was in the cabin when you entered next to the Welcome Back card with the cruise stamp in it. :D

Maybe they ran out of the wrapped ones or they were damaged and this is the substitute? Kind of weird to have unwrapped anything just sitting there in the room and knowing it touched someone’s hands who just cleaned your cabin. Hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

EXACTLY. A good lead in to discontinuing the chocolates altogether because no one was eating them anymore. I sure wouldnt eat unwrapped chocolates that had been sitting out for a few hours.

When Norman Love was on Regal a few years ago he mentioned he was collaborating with Princess and using a French chocolate lab to develop new candies for the rooms. Maybe this is the result. Kind of weird they wouldn't be wrapped, though.

We were on the Sapphire Princess for the 14-day Norway cruise ended this past Saturday. We had wrapped chocolates on the bed - the usual ones - all but three nights. On those three nights, we got something different each night. One night's offering resembled chocolate frosting with a marshmallow in the middle; the chocolate clung to the wrapper. Another night was something like a mini strawberry cupcake (same size wrapper as the chocolate). And one was more of an almond cupcake. We too wondered what was up. As all three nights of these were in a row, and then it was back to the usual foil-wrapped chocolates for the rest of the cruise, we wondered if perhaps they had just run out, but were able to restock in port, perhaps getting them from another Princess ship, or maybe receiving a shipment...and having the galley come up with substitutes in the meantime.

We were on the Sapphire Princess for the 14-day Norway cruise ended this past Saturday. We had wrapped chocolates on the bed - the usual ones - all but three nights. On those three nights, we got something different each night. One night's offering resembled chocolate frosting with a marshmallow in the middle; the chocolate clung to the wrapper. Another night was something like a mini strawberry cupcake (same size wrapper as the chocolate). And one was more of an almond cupcake. We too wondered what was up. As all three nights of these were in a row, and then it was back to the usual foil-wrapped chocolates for the rest of the cruise, we wondered if perhaps they had just run out, but were able to restock in port, perhaps getting them from another Princess ship, or maybe receiving a shipment...and having the galley come up with substitutes in the meantime.

We were on the same cruise and had the same cakes as you plus the normal pillow chocolates.

Upcoming cruise will be my 3rd in 2018. Other 2 (Royal & Diamond) had traditional wrapped chocolates. The only change is that the coffee cards expire at the end of this year. But I understand that if your ship is already switched to The Medallion that the coffee cards expire at the end of that cruise.

They were on the Sapphire last week and they didn't look very appetising.

Yes, but doesn't look like it was a replacement for the typical chocolates that are left in staterooms as some people were panicking and assuming some sort of odd cost cutting exercise was taking place. In your case it seems like you got both for 3 nights, others only the "replacement" treats for those 3 nights before they went back to the wrapped chocolates.

Upcoming cruise will be my 3rd in 2018. Other 2 (Royal & Diamond) had traditional wrapped chocolates. The only change is that the coffee cards expire at the end of this year. But I understand that if your ship is already switched to The Medallion that the coffee cards expire at the end of that cruise.

All ships have switched to having a new coffee package being accessed only via the cruise card. This is even if the ship does not have ***** technology yet. And, yes, any unused punches expire at the end of the cruise.

Old paper cards unused punches expires at the expiration date printed on the back of the card or 8/31/19 if no expiration date is on the card.