ALLURE // LIVE REVIEW / Sept. 2-9 Sail Away With Meee?

Comedy Club was okay. First dude Nate something wasn’t necessarily the funniest - I think he was new? - and the dude who followed - I’ll have to check around for his name - was HILARIOUS. 11/10 I have abs now from laughing. Also for those who don’t have reservations - we didn’t/couldn’t , because we booked so close to sailing - we were first in line for “standby,” arriving about 35 mins ahead of opening. The first 8 or 9 people it into the CC.

Stopped by On Air to see what karaoke was going on... nothing exciting.

Everyone else wanted to go to bed, so needless to say, I’m in bed too. I think it’s because they’ve all been day drinking so they’re exhausted, and I’m not drinking so I am LIT.

Sea day tomorrow! I have highlighted my agenda for the day, so I’m ready (mostly trivia, karaoke, who wants to be a millionaire, etc). I’ll try to post the schedule for the day tomorrow. Josh is doing “cigars under the stars” with his dad, so there’s that.

Also, not sure if this is just a secular incident or not, but the Voom stuff has been pretty spotty. Majority of the day I haven’t even been able to load the CC app. So that’s odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Following along! We did Allure waaay back in 2011 (still elementary school, weren’t you; maybe jr. high? [emoji6]) in a JS b2b. We followed that exactly a year later by doing the same thing on Oasis, but on the port side. I think we were in 9642 and 9242. Sadly, no b2b cruises since then, nor jr. suites, but have done a 12- day and a couple of 8-day cruises—not the same. We did Carnival’s version of a grand suite on Vista last year. That was not the same, either—in any way, shape or form!

Looking forward to the rest of your week!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, that was you making all that rain?!! Honestly, we enjoyed it once we were onboard. No one was at the pool bar/around the chairs out there and so we had the entirety of it to ourselves. Was lovely.

You enjoy that butt, now!

It wasn't me. It was my husband!!! I'm actually banned from using anything in the kitchen or on the patio. :eek::eek::eek:

Shout out (!!!) to Andrew for posting about the peanut-butter milkshakes at JR. When we all went in, they said all they have are “chocolate, vanilla, and strawberrry”. I asked for peanut-butter AND chocolate mixed together - not anything he mentioned - and he took care of me. IT LITERALLY TASTES LIKE SMOOTH LIQUID REESES CANDY! Super great dude. Told me to come back. Little does he know that I’ll be seeing him multiple times a day and we’ll be BFFs by the end of this thing. [emoji57]

ce16b651b2f2e9dfcd15179eb4904e08.jpg

60a9c2680623f8a00952407f2155a8bf.jpg

Are the milkshakes still free with the drink package?

Gooood moooorning, it is CROOZE DAY! Such excite!

Josh and I are both showered, have had breakfast, and are ready to go. The first shuttle that runs from Marriott to the port is at 9:45 A.M., and that’s the one we’re on. The shuttle is $10 per person, and that cost only covers the ride there (not back). Josh and I have “Expedited Arrival” on our mobile set sail passes, as well as the priority boarding that comes with the JS. I’m unsure which is faster, but I’m sure someone at the port will tell us. F^2 and A don’t have a suite, nor do they have “Expedited Arrival” on their ser sail passes so we’re crossing our fingers they’ll let them wait in line with us... but if they won’t, we’ll certainly get in the normal line.

I’m not really hungry - and I don’t think Josh is either - so I doubt we’ll go to eat as soon as we board. Avoid the crazy first day food congregating mass at all costs, we will! I’m going to pack a pair of chucks in my carry-on so that I can be first in line for the ship’s zip line. Catch me outside yo’ boardwalk balcony around 1.

Have a wonderful cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Are the milkshakes still free with the drink package?

Yup! Milkshakes were free under both Deluxe and Refreshment package.

Have a wonderful cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks so much, Bob!

Following along! We did Allure waaay back in 2011 (still elementary school, weren’t you; maybe jr. high? [emoji6]) in a JS b2b. We followed that exactly a year later by doing the same thing on Oasis, but on the port side. I think we were in 9642 and 9242. Sadly, no b2b cruises since then, nor jr. suites, but have done a 12- day and a couple of 8-day cruises—not the same. We did Carnival’s version of a grand suite on Vista last year. That was not the same, either—in any way, shape or form!

Looking forward to the rest of your week!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We’re crossing our fingers to accomplish some personal goals that include a B2B and a GS soon.

Thanks for following along! :)

Thanks for the JS pics, Meg! Most of our cruises have been in balcony cabins. We tried a JS a couple of years ago on Freedom, and balcony cabins just weren't the same for us after that. We love the extra space we get in the JS!

Of course! We spent time in the JS and then were walking around a family member’s CP Balcony and the difference was SO noticeable. Ugh.

My only complaint about this room is that there is a sizable gap (probably about a foot) from the railing to the divided on our balcony, which allows the suite next to us to look into our balcony and vice versa. AKA wearing pants on the balcony is a must. Boo.

Shuttle ride was 20 minutes (we stopped at a Hyatt to pick up more people). Celine Dion’s song from the movie “Titanic” was played. Awk. It was pouring! Pouring, I say! At one point - Juan - the bus driver was going 23 MPH on the highway.

Shuttle was very convenient though, and definitely worth the $10. He un-packed our bags as well and the porters picked them right up, we didn’t have to do any lifting.

Pro tip: next time take an Uber! No waiting for others to load, no stops at other hotels - and it takes about 10 minutes and costs like $20. They also drop you right at the porters so you won't have to handle your luggage, either! ;););)

Loving the review so far - have a great sea day!

Pro tip: next time take an Uber! No waiting for others to load, no stops at other hotels - and it takes about 10 minutes and costs like $20. They also drop you right at the porters so you won't have to handle your luggage, either! ;););)

Loving the review so far - have a great sea day!

Thanks! We did consider Uber XL’s (there are 6 of us), but when we priced out/did a mock booking, it was more expensive than the shuttle. The shuttle took us directly to the porters, so that was great. Plus, we all wanted to stay together and not risk getting there at different times if one Uber were early or late. So it worked out for us, woot! Thank you so much for reading along and for the well wishes! :)

Went to the boardwalk to try out the donuts. Grabbed a plain bottom with chocolate frosting, a plain bottom with strawberry frosting, and a plain one with cinnamon-sugar. The only edible one to me was the cinnamon-sugar. The frosted ones tasted like old, hard, plastic. Ick.

Josh had 9 (?) alcoholic beverages yesterday. It’s our first time having the drink packages, and if anything, the peace of mind is definitely worth the price. Just being able to go into JR and get a milkshake whenever you want, or go get a smoothie, etc., is soooo noiceee.

F^2 is doing really well. It’s been 30 years since he was on a ship (which I learned wasn’t a cruise ship, it was a Naval ship), and he LOVES Allure! He is honestly astounded, and so curious. He seems to want to see everything. “A” - who has been on several cruises (MSC), but never a RC cruise - is loving the ship as well. So, all in all, seems like it’s going to be a hit. :)

Random comment for anyone who gets/feels sea sick easily: I take both Bonine and Dramamine, as well as wearing the sea bands, and can still definitely feel the ship rocking. But, it’s not just me. The entire family can as well. When looking out the balcony, seas don’t seem too rough, so I’m not sure if it’s just us, or maybe the weather is impacting a bit. *shrugs*

Meg, thanks for info info on the ship movement, i'll be bring both Bonnie and Dramamine now. Peanut butter chocolate shake is now on my list as well. I should do enough walking to work it off. Also thanks so much for your reply on CP room closets and drawer space. Completely understand not taking more pictures. JS will need to be in my future, not in the budget for this trip. Future goal. Patti

Update: WE OFFICIALLY BOOKED OUR ALASKA CRUISE (on board)!!!! Radiance of the Seas, Northbound. *dramatic tear* Currently have an OV balcony booked, but are hoping to upgrade to a JS by watching prices and hoping they come down.

*squeals*

Woohoo! We loved Alaska/Radiance. It’s worth checking out the thermal suite pass when you’re on board. Floor to ceiling windows and heated lounge beds. Alaskaaaahhhh! :cool:

It’s our first time having the drink packages, and if anything, the peace of mind is definitely worth the price. Just being able to go into JR and get a milkshake whenever you want, or go get a smoothie, etc., is soooo noiceee.

Were you able to go to JR and get a free milkshake with the Deluxe beverage package and not have to pay for a meal there? I read a thread recently where several people said they were unable to use their bev package to get a milkshake for free unless they also paid the ~$12 cover charge to dine at JR.

Great review. We are on the Allure next June. We are in a GS with a Jr. Suite next to us on Deck 12. Sorry to hear about that gap! We are splurging for our 50th and taking along our fam of 17. We thought the GS would be a great gathering place. We have all the kids and grands in balcony ocean view suites. I expect the hungry grands will be visiting us for room service. Do the Jr Suites also offer free room service? Thanks for taking time out to share with us. Your writing style is fun to read.

Were you able to go to JR and get a free milkshake with the Deluxe beverage package and not have to pay for a meal there? I read a thread recently where several people said they were unable to use their bev package to get a milkshake for free unless they also paid the ~$12 cover charge to dine at JR.

You can definitely go in *just* to get the milkshake and NOT eat. We have done this multiple times now, and have never been charged for the milkshakes. We have - also *eaten* meals which we paid for, and received the milkshakes for free.

Just make sure you have the “RR” sticker on your card (can be attained from bars or guest services) and you’re good to go!

Great review. We are on the Allure next June. We are in a GS with a Jr. Suite next to us on Deck 12. Sorry to hear about that gap! We are splurging for our 50th and taking along our fam of 17. We thought the GS would be a great gathering place. We have all the kids and grands in balcony ocean view suites. I expect the hungry grands will be visiting us for room service. Do the Jr Suites also offer free room service? Thanks for taking time out to share with us. Your writing style is fun to read.

Hi there! Thank you for following along! Woooow, what a phenomenal trip you will be embarking on with your family! And holy cow, congratulations on 50 years! That is unheard of! *slow clap*

The JS do not offer free room service. Bummer, right? Only GS and above. But - ordering it under your room and having the kids/GKs come grab it from you sounds reasonable like you pointed out!

I hope you guys have the trip of a lifetime!

Meg, thanks for info info on the ship movement, i'll be bring both Bonnie and Dramamine now. Peanut butter chocolate shake is now on my list as well. I should do enough walking to work it off. Also thanks so much for your reply on CP room closets and drawer space. Completely understand not taking more pictures. JS will need to be in my future, not in the budget for this trip. Future goal. Patti

Hi, Patti! I 100% understand. Also - I’ve always had good results with both the two (Bonine and Dramamine), but I’ve heard some people say just to choose one or the other. So maybe do some research and see what you think would tailor best to you. Chocolate/peanut butter milkshakes are LIEF! 80 year old F^2 said he was worried to “ruin his supper” by drinking one a few hours before dinner, but now that we’ve convinced him that it’s okay to “ruin your supper” on cruises, I think he’s getting the hang of it. [emoji6]

Woohoo! We loved Alaska/Radiance. It’s worth checking out the thermal suite pass when you’re on board. Floor to ceiling windows and heated lounge beds. Alaskaaaahhhh! :cool:

ALASKAAAAAH! Woot! We’re SO stoked. It’s always been a dream of ours to go. And we got a pretty decent deal - I think - too, so now I’m looking forward to getting back and doing tons of research for THAT cruise. But, that doesn’t need to come too early... I’m enjoying my time now, haha. Let me know if you have any pro tips! I’d love to hear. :)

While I usually don’t feel the ship, on both of our Eastern itineraries, I did. If you watch, you’re going faster than on most cruises and I think that’s why. Just a thought.

Interesting notice. I didn’t feel it moving as much on our Western, so maybe that is so. I suppose they are hauling aft (haha, see what I did there?!) to get such a long distance. *shrugs*

Love the “hauling aft” and will totally steal that one! Eastern is totally worth it though. DH and I use the “drink more beer” seasickness cure but I’ve heard really good things about the ginger Dramamine. Enjoy your cruise. I’m loving your review and humor.

Update: WE OFFICIALLY BOOKED OUR ALASKA CRUISE (on board)!!!! Radiance of the Seas, Northbound. *dramatic tear* Currently have an OV balcony booked, but are hoping to upgrade to a JS by watching prices and hoping they come down.

*squeals*

Enjoying your review. We will be boarding in less than 2 weeks with the same itinerary so following closely!

If you booked the Radiance for 8/30/19 (as your signature says) then you will be sailing with our good friends Bill and Christy. Bill is the master private excursion organizer - best I have ever met. If you are sailing with him and he offers private excursions that interest you, jump at them. They are amazing, inexpensive and Bill is super organized. They will fill up quickly.